PDA

View Full Version : Coaxing a shy cat from his hiding place

martinicus
October 6th 05, 02:33 PM
We have just adopted two rescued cats. Winston, the male is extremely shy and has been hiding behind a shoe box for the past few days. I started letting them explore the house and it looked like Winston was coming out of his shell because last night he came down the stairs. But when I was going up the stairs I must have startled him because he dashed into the bathroom. He's managed to get in behind the cabinet and it looks like he's hiding under a floorboard although it's under the bath and I can't get near him or see him. We've left him alone so far and left some water and food beside the hole. But I'm starting to get really worried now because he hasn't come out and it's been 16 hours now. I also haven't heard him make a sound.

Is there any advice on how to coax a shy cat out of his hiding place? His sister is missing him terribly. I don't know if I'm over-reacting and cats do this type of thing all the time and he'll come out when he's ready. Any help would be appreciated.

Gail
October 6th 05, 07:46 PM
It would be best to keep him in a room with litter box, food, water and a
bed until he feels more comfortable. You can then go into the room, feed
him, and sit quietly with him. Over time, he will get used to you (and other
family members). Then, I would let him out to explore the house.I would try
placing tuna in a dish near the hiding place to see if he comes out.
Gail
"martinicus" > wrote in message

> We have just adopted two rescued cats. Winston, the male is extremely
> shy and has been hiding behind a shoe box for the past few days. I
> started letting them explore the house and it looked like Winston was
> coming out of his shell because last night he came down the stairs. But
> when I was going up the stairs I must have startled him because he
> dashed into the bathroom. He's managed to get in behind the cabinet and
> it looks like he's hiding under a floorboard although it's under the
> bath and I can't get near him or see him. We've left him alone so far
> and left some water and food beside the hole. But I'm starting to get
> really worried now because he hasn't come out and it's been 16 hours
> now. I also haven't heard him make a sound.
>
> Is there any advice on how to coax a shy cat out of his hiding place?
> His sister is missing him terribly. I don't know if I'm over-reacting
> and cats do this type of thing all the time and he'll come out when
> he's ready. Any help would be appreciated.
>

> --
> martinicus

whayface
October 6th 05, 09:05 PM

>We have just adopted two rescued cats. Winston, the male is extremely
>shy and has been hiding behind a shoe box for the past few days. I
>started letting them explore the house and it looked like Winston was
>coming out of his shell because last night he came down the stairs. But
>when I was going up the stairs I must have startled him because he
>dashed into the bathroom. He's managed to get in behind the cabinet and
>it looks like he's hiding under a floorboard although it's under the
>bath and I can't get near him or see him. We've left him alone so far
>and left some water and food beside the hole. But I'm starting to get
>really worried now because he hasn't come out and it's been 16 hours
>now. I also haven't heard him make a sound.
>
>Is there any advice on how to coax a shy cat out of his hiding place?
>His sister is missing him terribly. I don't know if I'm over-reacting
>and cats do this type of thing all the time and he'll come out when
>he's ready. Any help would be appreciated.

He will come out in his own time BUT I would make sure all the holes such as that are
sealed off which it seems a person would be able to figure out for themselves. Hopefully
he does not get stuck in there and end up deceased!!!

Rhonda
October 7th 05, 04:12 AM
I would shut the door and leave the food, water, and a litter box in
there tonight to make sure tomorrow morning that he came out to eat. If
he didn't -- I think I'd start tearing things apart to get to him. Is
there any way at all to get a look and see if he's there?

He'll probably come out at night when you are asleep.

It may be tricky, but try to block it off someway so he can't get down
there. I don't mind hidey cats, but I get uncomfortable when I can't at
least see them to check on them.

When this drama is over, spend lots of time talking to him and sitting
with him. One thing that really helps is food. Eventually try giving him
cat treats from your hand. Chicken worked for me on this latest kitty.
He couldn't stand it.

Let us know what he's up to.

Rhonda