PDA

View Full Version : How old to adopt a kitten

Lee
October 7th 05, 12:34 AM
Can a kitten of 6-8 weeks be successfully adopted and be a normal grown
cat?
I have heard that they must be at least 3 months old. Is this true.
How old to have them neutered.
Thanks
Lee

cybercat
October 7th 05, 12:45 AM
"Lee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Can a kitten of 6-8 weeks be successfully adopted and be a normal grown
cat?

I have read that is best to let kittens stay with their mothers longer than
6-8 weeks, so that she can teach them all the things they need to know about
using the litter box, grooming, and appropriate play.

Do you have a kitten in mind?

-L.
October 7th 05, 12:55 AM
Lee wrote:
> Can a kitten of 6-8 weeks be successfully adopted and be a normal grown
> cat?

Yes. I don't advocate placement before 8 weeks. But many cats have
been placed at 6 and done well. Six weeks is still pretty young and
dependant on Momma. One problem you run in to is people say their
kittens are older than they are to "get rid of them" early. IME, a cat
that is removed from the nest too early ends up beeing pretty needy its
whole live. Something about those last few weeks with Momma helps them
gain confidence and independence.

> I have heard that they must be at least 3 months old. Is this true.

No.

> How old to have them neutered.

If you have a vet that is competent in early spay/neuter you can have
them neutered as soon as they weigh 2 lbs, which is as early as 8
weeks. Most vets still wait until 4-6 months. It's not necessary
though. There's a lot of literature supporting early spay/neuter if
you choose to go that route.

-L.

Lee
October 7th 05, 01:00 AM
Yes we have an option to adopt two brothers who will be 7-8 weeks old
on Saturday. The woman who is caring for them
has to get them homes by then or they go to the pound
as she is also moving on Saturday.
Thanks.
Lee

Lee
October 7th 05, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the info. I do know how old these little people are as they
were born on the 19th of August. The woman who has been fostering them
and is leaving on Saturday this week. She must find them good homes by
then or send them off to the pound.
We have visited with them weekly and they all seem to be well adjusted.
The mother seems to have had her fill of them and really doesn't want
to nurse them. They eat on their own and use the potty box.
I will pen them in my family room, kitchen and utility room until they
really know their area. We recently lost our old cats at 18 and 16
years and want
to adopt these little souls. They are so cute one is a dark
shorthaired tiger and the other is silky black whose name will be
Panther.

Gail
October 7th 05, 01:11 AM
Definitely adopt them. They will be fine.
Gail
"Lee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Yes we have an option to adopt two brothers who will be 7-8 weeks old
> on Saturday. The woman who is caring for them
> has to get them homes by then or they go to the pound
> as she is also moving on Saturday.
> Thanks.
> Lee

cybercat
October 7th 05, 01:18 AM
"Lee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Yes we have an option to adopt two brothers who will be 7-8 weeks old
> on Saturday. The woman who is caring for them
> has to get them homes by then or they go to the pound
> as she is also moving on Saturday.

Well in that case, by all means adopt them!! Just be sure to keep
an eye on them and gently train them if they demonstrate poor
potty habits or, for example, aggressiveness during play that might
become a problem when they are bigger. And please, post some
photos of the little dears!!

Gail
October 7th 05, 01:22 AM
I recently adopted a kitten from a rescue group. He was about 7-8 weeks old
and is doing fine. He is now 4 months old and will be neutered at 5 months
old. You will love and enjoy them!!
Gail
"Gail" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Definitely adopt them. They will be fine.
> Gail
> "Lee" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Yes we have an option to adopt two brothers who will be 7-8 weeks old
>> on Saturday. The woman who is caring for them
>> has to get them homes by then or they go to the pound
>> as she is also moving on Saturday.
>> Thanks.
>> Lee

Lee
October 7th 05, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the thumbs up! But! I don't have a clue as to how to post
picts on
the computer. Guess it is time to purchase the new fangled camera and
find out how to use it.
Lee

cybercat
October 7th 05, 02:07 AM
"Lee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks for the thumbs up! But! I don't have a clue as to how to post
> picts on
> the computer. Guess it is time to purchase the new fangled camera and
> find out how to use it.
> Lee

Ebay has some great deals! For ease of use I recommend
the Nikon Coolpic 4200-7000.

-L.
October 7th 05, 06:05 AM
Lee wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I do know how old these little people are as they
> were born on the 19th of August. The woman who has been fostering them
> and is leaving on Saturday this week. She must find them good homes by
> then or send them off to the pound.
> We have visited with them weekly and they all seem to be well adjusted.
> The mother seems to have had her fill of them and really doesn't want
> to nurse them. They eat on their own and use the potty box.
> I will pen them in my family room, kitchen and utility room until they
> really know their area. We recently lost our old cats at 18 and 16
> years and want
> to adopt these little souls. They are so cute one is a dark
> shorthaired tiger and the other is silky black whose name will be
> Panther.

They sound really cute. If Momma cat is sending them out of the nest,
and refusing to nurse, they can go home with you. :) It might take
them a short while to adjust to the new surroundings, but they
eventually will get used to it. It's always an easier adjustment when
there are two. Plus you are saving them from the pound which is a death
sentance this time of year - it's Fall kitten season in many climes,
and lots of kittens are being dumped.
-L.

Lesley
October 7th 05, 09:53 AM
Lee wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I do know how old these little people are as they
> were born on the 19th of August. The woman who has been fostering them
> and is leaving on Saturday this week. She must find them good homes by
> then or send them off to the pound.

Adopt them immediately!!!!

Seriously in the UK kittens are routinely taken from their mum at 8
weeks (until I started reading this list I thought this was the norm) I
got the Fabulous Furballs at "8" weeks- I have a sneaking feeling it
was 7 weeks from what I later worked out when talking to the slave of
their mother and they were fine- a little shy at first but that was
more likely because they grew up in a shed with very little Human
contact

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

MaryL
October 7th 05, 11:39 AM
"Lee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Yes we have an option to adopt two brothers who will be 7-8 weeks old
> on Saturday. The woman who is caring for them
> has to get them homes by then or they go to the pound
> as she is also moving on Saturday.
> Thanks.
> Lee

If there *really* is no way to convince the woman to keep the kitten for a
few weeks, then definitely go ahead and adopt him. It's normally much
better for the kitten to remain with mom cat for 12 weeks (minimum 10
weeks).

MaryL

October 7th 05, 04:35 PM
>Yes we have an option to adopt two
>brothers who will be 7-8 weeks old on
>Saturday. The woman who is caring for
>them has to get them homes by then or
>they go to the pound as she is also
>moving on Saturday.

I think you should adopt the kittens and offer to take the mom too. The
woman that has her was obviously not responsible enough to get the get
spayed, and this way the kittens would benefit from more time with mom
and the mom can get spayed ASAP so no more litters result. Three cats is
no more trouble than two, and having the kittens grow up with mom around
is beneficial.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Annie Wxill
October 7th 05, 11:49 PM
"Lee" > wrote in message
oups.com...
.... The woman who has been fostering them
> and is leaving on Saturday this week. She must find them good homes by
> then or send them off to the pound.
Hi Lee,
So, what are her plans for the mother cat?
Annie

Space
October 8th 05, 11:22 AM
news:[email protected]

> "Lee" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Yes we have an option to adopt two brothers who will be 7-8 weeks old
> > on Saturday. The woman who is caring for them
> > has to get them homes by then or they go to the pound
> > as she is also moving on Saturday.
> > Thanks.
> > Lee
> >

> If there *really* is no way to convince the woman to keep the kitten for a
> few weeks, then definitely go ahead and adopt him. It's normally much
> better for the kitten to remain with mom cat for 12 weeks (minimum 10
> weeks).
>
> MaryL

we adopted our cat at six weeks, a bit early but he was going to another
home if not ours. so we went for it. he went stright to the vet for a
check up who had no concerns. we had very slight teething problems with
Riley using the tray but nothing we could not manage.

he is by no means needy...very independent, fends for himself (even though
there is a constant supply of cat food), and is completely house trained.

i would say a maximum of eight weeks, minimum six weeks.