PDA

View Full Version : expressing my cat's bladder

October 8th 05, 04:41 AM
my cat suddenly became paraplegic. he's very old and i have little
hope of recovery. i have to manually express his bladder - he's a big
guy and i have a hard time telling what's what in his belly. i'm
afraid of hurting him or doing it too much and causing him worse
distress. does anyone have any tips or has anyone hurt their cat doing
this?

Lumpy
October 8th 05, 04:45 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> my cat suddenly became paraplegic. he's very old and i have little
> hope of recovery. i have to manually express his bladder - he's a big
> guy and i have a hard time telling what's what in his belly. i'm
> afraid of hurting him or doing it too much and causing him worse
> distress. does anyone have any tips or has anyone hurt their cat doing
> this?

What does your vet say?

October 8th 05, 04:49 AM

> What does your vet say?

to do it twice a day and that i probably can't hurt him. have you done
this?

Lumpy
October 8th 05, 04:52 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> > What does your vet say?
>
> to do it twice a day and that i probably can't hurt him. have you done
> this?

No, but I am wondering why your vet did not show you
how to do it.

Candace
October 8th 05, 08:20 AM
wrote:
> my cat suddenly became paraplegic. he's very old and i have little
> hope of recovery. i have to manually express his bladder - he's a big
> guy and i have a hard time telling what's what in his belly. i'm
> afraid of hurting him or doing it too much and causing him worse
> distress. does anyone have any tips or has anyone hurt their cat doing
> this?

Read a post from the past about this:

http://tinyurl.com/e3wtg

Candace

October 8th 05, 01:14 PM
they showed me how to do it. i'm not an expert yet and i'm afraid of
hurting him.

October 8th 05, 01:15 PM
thanks!

Lumpy
October 8th 05, 06:13 PM
"Candace" > wrote in message
> > my cat suddenly became paraplegic. he's very old and i have little
> > hope of recovery. i have to manually express his bladder - he's a big
> > guy and i have a hard time telling what's what in his belly. i'm
> > afraid of hurting him or doing it too much and causing him worse
> > distress. does anyone have any tips or has anyone hurt their cat doing
> > this?
>
> Read a post from the past about this:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/e3wtg

I'm so glad you found this, I had no idea how to help but was worried
to death about it.

Lumpy
October 8th 05, 06:15 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> they showed me how to do it. i'm not an expert yet and i'm afraid of
> hurting him.

I understand. I see Candace posted a link. Good luck with it and I'm so
sorry it has happened. Please share with us as you help your kitty through
this, if you want to. You could help others who find themselves in your
position.

Candace
October 8th 05, 06:46 PM
wrote:
> thanks!

Here's a website complete with pics:

http://tinyurl.com/8lxgh

Google "express cat's bladder" and a lot comes up. Don't be
discouraged. It sounds as though it's just one of those things that
takes a little time to be comfortable and good at and then it will be
no big deal for you or your kitty. It's very nice you are helping your
cat in this way, some people would not do so.

Candace

cybercat
October 8th 05, 08:49 PM
"Diane" > wrote in message
> In article om>,
> "Candace" > wrote:
>
> > Here's a website complete with pics:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/8lxgh
>
> This may be a stupid question, but does this work only if the bladder is
> relatively full and ready to go? I ask because when my veterinarian has
> needed urine, he's felt the bladder and determined there wasn't much in
> it. When there was a little something (but not a full amount), he ended
> up using a needle to extract urine (which, interestingly, doesn't seem
> to bother the cat all that much).

From what my vet said last time he tried to express some from my
cat, it works if there is even a little. He said "she is bone dry, I gave
her a few really good squeezes and got nothing. Why don't you leave
her here for the afternoon and I will try again after she drinks." He was
pretty jocular about it but I bet she did not think it was funny at all. ;)

tsr3
October 10th 05, 05:20 AM
Hello--several years ago, our cat, Blackjack injured his tail, which
resulted in the destruction of the nerves around his bladder--so, we
had to express him twice a day. He was a very difficult cat to express
(he was cooperative--but it was hard to exert enough force to get the
urine out--like you, we were afraid of hurting him).

The vet perscribed a drug called "Prazosin"--it is often used in humans
(for men with enlarged prostates, who have trouble urinating as a
result). The Prazosin was a god send for Blackjack--it made expressing
him much easier.

--r3

October 10th 05, 05:22 PM
thanks everybody for the help. the vet gave me a drug to help out -
but my cat has enormous bladder capacity apparently! i still have a
hard time getting it all out because he's such a big guy it's a little
difficult to actually palpate his bladder. anyway - we're getting used
to it. he's getting a little use back in his tail and his legs and
skin are becoming more responsive - he's getting acupuncture and i hope
that's helping!

his bowels are the next challenge. but that seems to be getting better
as well.

thanks again for the help.

Topaz
October 10th 05, 06:06 PM
> he's getting a little use back in his tail and his legs and
> skin are becoming more responsive - he's getting acupuncture and i hope
> that's helping!

Here's hoping he makes as full a recovery as possible. I think it is
wonderful that you love him so much and take such good care
of him. Such kindness and generosity always comes back to us
tenfold.

saeri via CatKB.com
October 12th 05, 05:42 PM
Paralyzed dog recoverd use of hind legs "I must say before I received the
Transfer Factor I was really anxious and I would afraid that my Ridgeback dog,
Linkin, would give up. As soon as the package arrived from England I started
giving Linkin 2 tablets a day for the first 3 weeks.
He has improved in leaps and bounds and it is hard to believe that some 4
weeks ago he could not walk by himself and could hardly move around at all.
I had to carry his hind legs with a towel around his waist otherwise he just
could not get around.

After two weeks on TF+, he started trying to get up onto his hind legs. It
was difficult and heart breaking to see him struggle but he was trying.
After four weeks on TF+, he managed to walk around even though he lost his
balance and he hind legs would give way.

He is now walking and running around, although still a little wobbly, and he
also tries to jump but does not always succeed. It is absolutely fantastic
to see the improvement from week to week." Antoinette Kean, South Africa

My Siamese cat has severe deterioration in her back legs. I had taken her to
three veterinarians but they couldn't help her. It got to the point that she
couldn't walk. After taking 3 capsules of Transfer Factor™ a day, she rarely
falls down at all, and she is so much healthier and happier. Donna Hendricks

"My family has an 11-year old German Shephard mix that spent six days in a
traditional vet's office because he could not walk anymore.
After the Transfer Factor and flaxseed oil, this dog is now walking, frisky
and in good spirits." Richard English

Jan. 8 to Aug 2003 - The testimony about Sambo our cat - (born July 1985) -
We can hardly believe the recovery Sambo is making. As of last July he had
lost 10 pounds (he had been 16 #) could hardly get up and down the stairs,
slept a lot and dumped around. Walked like he was 100 yrs. old and we were
sure we were going to loose him. He wasn't eating very much either. He
slowly was getting worse and worse. He was so skinny and his fur got matted
and terrible and then he started pulling his fur out - completely on both
sides of his body. It was an area 2" long and full length of his body and on
both sides. We never took him to the vet because we thought he was just
getting old and we would just have to accept the fact that we won't have him
very much longer.
We had just heard about Transfer Factor (basic) and we thought if it helps
humans, maybe it will help our kitty. We thought maybe Transfer Factor would
at least make him feel better and we started giving him 1-capsule of Transfer
Factor on Jan. 8, 2003 (which was the first day Wayne came to our home to
have a meeting for some of our friends to introduce them to Transfer Factor -
which was new to us too!).

Right away we could tell that Sambo was getting better and so on Jan. 15,
2003 we increased the dose to 2 capsules a day. His speedy recovery was
hard to believe. He had regained 1/2 lb. by Jan. 18th and his fur was growing
back on both sides and the rest of his fur was looking much better too. It
had become very matted and ugly. Energy? He is bouncing up and down the
stairs, up and down from the bathroom sink ( he loves to drink the running
water but hadn't been able to make the jump for months) and hardly lays down
for naps. Previously, he had been sleeping a lot. Once again he is
following Neil everywhere as he had done for so many years, he was like our
'young' Sambo again and we knew he was going to be fine!!

It is now Oct 2003 and he is still doing very, very good. Has a good
appetite, has energy, doesn't sleep very much in the daytime as we would
expect an old cat to do and has a lovely new fur coat. At this point, we
decided to try the Feline formula instead of the TF human formula.

Update Dec. 19, 2003. We had to stop giving our cat the Feline Complete
formula because Sambo started going down the hill and loosing weight. The
Feline Formula did not agree with him. After we resumed giving him Transfer
Factor Plus (human formula) Sambo started doing very well again We are going
to get to enjoy our pet longer which pleases us very, very much.. Neil and
Patty Trammell

What they're talking about is Transfer Factor Plus. Non-toxic even in
megadoses. You can buy it over the Internet or some stores wll sell it. Give
with food.