PDA

View Full Version : Digging in dirt, how to stop this?

Juls
October 8th 05, 04:05 PM
I brought in my houseplants last night because it's getting cool at
night. Dmitri used to try and eat the shamrocks and spider plants, so I
got those up and out of Jasmine's way quickly. (After she taste tested
both, and said "mmmm, I likey.")

The diffenbachia is another story. It's large, about four feet tall,
and very toxic to animals. She tried to climb it, but didn't taste it.
Then she began frantically digging in the soil and flinging it
everywhere. At first I though she was digging to use it for a potty,
but it quickly becamse obvious she's doing it for fun. She is
positively GLEEFUL when she gets going. (I swear this cat has some dog
in her)

At first, I tried to grab her, use the hand signal for no (and I mouth
the word no to her face), but as soon as I put her down, she went back
to it. I had to put her in the sink a couple of times to clean her up.
Though the sight of this all-white kitty covered in black potting soil
was hilarious, I did try my best to not show any amusement.

I have Feliaway somewhere (when I moved, I put it somewhere, and can't
remember where, but I'll find it). Would that work? When I was growing
up, we used mothballs to keep cats out of things. Is that safe? (We
also used to douse them in Sevin powder, because the vet said it was
safe!!! Things have changed over the years, i do believe.)

For now, I put it up on the kitchen counter (anything I had tall
enough, such as the fridge or a large bookcase, was too tall to
accomodate the plant). I did expect it to be down this morning, but
surprisingly, she either didn't notice it or didn't care anymore. It
had not been touched.

As a last resort, I can put it down in the basement until she's older.
There's enough light for it to survive, but I'd rather have it upstairs
so I can see it.

Any ideas to stop this behavior?

Thanks,
Juls

--
To email (remove annoying hyphens)

j-u-l-i
at
e-c-t-dot-o-r-g

Gail
October 8th 05, 04:10 PM
I put aluminum foil over the pots (and around the plant) to keep mine from
digging in the dirt.
Gail
"Juls" > wrote in message
>I brought in my houseplants last night because it's getting cool at
> night. Dmitri used to try and eat the shamrocks and spider plants, so I
> got those up and out of Jasmine's way quickly. (After she taste tested
> both, and said "mmmm, I likey.")
>
> The diffenbachia is another story. It's large, about four feet tall,
> and very toxic to animals. She tried to climb it, but didn't taste it.
> Then she began frantically digging in the soil and flinging it
> everywhere. At first I though she was digging to use it for a potty,
> but it quickly becamse obvious she's doing it for fun. She is
> positively GLEEFUL when she gets going. (I swear this cat has some dog
> in her)
>
> At first, I tried to grab her, use the hand signal for no (and I mouth
> the word no to her face), but as soon as I put her down, she went back
> to it. I had to put her in the sink a couple of times to clean her up.
> Though the sight of this all-white kitty covered in black potting soil
> was hilarious, I did try my best to not show any amusement.
>
> I have Feliaway somewhere (when I moved, I put it somewhere, and can't
> remember where, but I'll find it). Would that work? When I was growing
> up, we used mothballs to keep cats out of things. Is that safe? (We
> also used to douse them in Sevin powder, because the vet said it was
> safe!!! Things have changed over the years, i do believe.)
>
> For now, I put it up on the kitchen counter (anything I had tall
> enough, such as the fridge or a large bookcase, was too tall to
> accomodate the plant). I did expect it to be down this morning, but
> surprisingly, she either didn't notice it or didn't care anymore. It
> had not been touched.
>
> As a last resort, I can put it down in the basement until she's older.
> There's enough light for it to survive, but I'd rather have it upstairs
> so I can see it.
>
> Any ideas to stop this behavior?
>
> Thanks,
> Juls
>
> --
> To email (remove annoying hyphens)
>
> j-u-l-i
> at
> e-c-t-dot-o-r-g

Juls
October 8th 05, 04:17 PM
In article t>,
"Gail" > wrote:

> I put aluminum foil over the pots (and around the plant) to keep mine from
> digging in the dirt.

Wow, what a great solution...hadn't even thought of that! Thanks!!!

Juls

--
To email (remove annoying hyphens)

j-u-l-i
at
e-c-t-dot-o-r-g

MaryL
October 8th 05, 04:48 PM
"Juls" > wrote in message
>I brought in my houseplants last night because it's getting cool at
> night. Dmitri used to try and eat the shamrocks and spider plants, so I
> got those up and out of Jasmine's way quickly. (After she taste tested
> both, and said "mmmm, I likey.")
>
> The diffenbachia is another story. It's large, about four feet tall,
> and very toxic to animals. She tried to climb it, but didn't taste it.
> Then she began frantically digging in the soil and flinging it
> everywhere. At first I though she was digging to use it for a potty,
> but it quickly becamse obvious she's doing it for fun. She is
> positively GLEEFUL when she gets going. (I swear this cat has some dog
> in her)
>
> At first, I tried to grab her, use the hand signal for no (and I mouth
> the word no to her face), but as soon as I put her down, she went back
> to it. I had to put her in the sink a couple of times to clean her up.
> Though the sight of this all-white kitty covered in black potting soil
> was hilarious, I did try my best to not show any amusement.
>
> I have Feliaway somewhere (when I moved, I put it somewhere, and can't
> remember where, but I'll find it). Would that work? When I was growing
> up, we used mothballs to keep cats out of things. Is that safe? (We
> also used to douse them in Sevin powder, because the vet said it was
> safe!!! Things have changed over the years, i do believe.)
>
> For now, I put it up on the kitchen counter (anything I had tall
> enough, such as the fridge or a large bookcase, was too tall to
> accomodate the plant). I did expect it to be down this morning, but
> surprisingly, she either didn't notice it or didn't care anymore. It
> had not been touched.
>
> As a last resort, I can put it down in the basement until she's older.
> There's enough light for it to survive, but I'd rather have it upstairs
> so I can see it.
>
> Any ideas to stop this behavior?
>
> Thanks,
> Juls
>
> --
> To email (remove annoying hyphens)
>
> j-u-l-i
> at
> e-c-t-dot-o-r-g

I put large rocks in mine -- it looks "natural" but prevents digging.
Actually, I had to give up on bringing in live plants because Holly will
snack on anything "alive or that used to be alive," but I had to replace the
Spanish moss that is often placed at the base of designer plants with rocks
because she would also dig (and eat) the Spanish moss.

MaryL

Juls
October 8th 05, 06:04 PM
In article <[email protected]>, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

> I put large rocks in mine -- it looks "natural" but prevents digging.
> Actually, I had to give up on bringing in live plants because Holly will
> snack on anything "alive or that used to be alive," but I had to replace the
> Spanish moss that is often placed at the base of designer plants with rocks
> because she would also dig (and eat) the Spanish moss.

Ooh, rocks are a good idea, too. I tried the foil while she was asleep,
and when she woke up and found the plant dirt covered in foil, SHE WAS
MAD. LOL. Her little eyes just flared like "Damn you!"

And then I put a fresh battery in the weazel and put it in a box. That
keeps her entertained for quite awhile. Now she's stolen Jack's puff
ball (he claimed it) and is going crazy with it.

So I'm hoping the foil works long term!

--
To email (remove annoying hyphens)

j-u-l-i
at
e-c-t-dot-o-r-g

Ramboyd
October 8th 05, 10:08 PM
Juls wrote:

> I brought in my houseplants last night because it's getting cool at
> night. Dmitri used to try and eat the shamrocks and spider plants, so I
> got those up and out of Jasmine's way quickly. (After she taste tested
> both, and said "mmmm, I likey.")
>
> The diffenbachia is another story. It's large, about four feet tall,
> and very toxic to animals. She tried to climb it, but didn't taste it.
> Then she began frantically digging in the soil and flinging it
> everywhere. At first I though she was digging to use it for a potty,
> but it quickly becamse obvious she's doing it for fun. She is
> positively GLEEFUL when she gets going. (I swear this cat has some dog
> in her)
>
> At first, I tried to grab her, use the hand signal for no (and I mouth
> the word no to her face), but as soon as I put her down, she went back
> to it. I had to put her in the sink a couple of times to clean her up.
> Though the sight of this all-white kitty covered in black potting soil
> was hilarious, I did try my best to not show any amusement.
>
> I have Feliaway somewhere (when I moved, I put it somewhere, and can't
> remember where, but I'll find it). Would that work? When I was growing
> up, we used mothballs to keep cats out of things. Is that safe? (We
> also used to douse them in Sevin powder, because the vet said it was
> safe!!! Things have changed over the years, i do believe.)
>
> For now, I put it up on the kitchen counter (anything I had tall
> enough, such as the fridge or a large bookcase, was too tall to
> accomodate the plant). I did expect it to be down this morning, but
> surprisingly, she either didn't notice it or didn't care anymore. It
> had not been touched.
>
> As a last resort, I can put it down in the basement until she's older.
> There's enough light for it to survive, but I'd rather have it upstairs
> so I can see it.
>
> Any ideas to stop this behavior?
>
> Thanks,
> Juls
>
> --
> To email (remove annoying hyphens)
>
> j-u-l-i
> at
> e-c-t-dot-o-r-g

I had this same problem. I simply put one of those disposable aluminium pie
plates at the base of the plant. Problem solved.

Ramboyd

======

"My Ottawa Includes Corruption"

Karen
October 8th 05, 11:23 PM
On 2005-10-08 10:05:01 -0500, Juls > said:

> I brought in my houseplants last night because it's getting cool at
> night. Dmitri used to try and eat the shamrocks and spider plants, so I
> got those up and out of Jasmine's way quickly. (After she taste tested
> both, and said "mmmm, I likey.")
>
> The diffenbachia is another story. It's large, about four feet tall,
> and very toxic to animals. She tried to climb it, but didn't taste it.
> Then she began frantically digging in the soil and flinging it
> everywhere. At first I though she was digging to use it for a potty,
> but it quickly becamse obvious she's doing it for fun. She is
> positively GLEEFUL when she gets going. (I swear this cat has some dog
> in her)
>
> At first, I tried to grab her, use the hand signal for no (and I mouth
> the word no to her face), but as soon as I put her down, she went back
> to it. I had to put her in the sink a couple of times to clean her up.
> Though the sight of this all-white kitty covered in black potting soil
> was hilarious, I did try my best to not show any amusement.

Pictures!!

> I have Feliaway somewhere (when I moved, I put it somewhere, and can't
> remember where, but I'll find it). Would that work? When I was growing
> up, we used mothballs to keep cats out of things. Is that safe? (We
> also used to douse them in Sevin powder, because the vet said it was
> safe!!! Things have changed over the years, i do believe.)
>
> For now, I put it up on the kitchen counter (anything I had tall
> enough, such as the fridge or a large bookcase, was too tall to
> accomodate the plant). I did expect it to be down this morning, but
> surprisingly, she either didn't notice it or didn't care anymore. It
> had not been touched.
>
> As a last resort, I can put it down in the basement until she's older.
> There's enough light for it to survive, but I'd rather have it upstairs
> so I can see it.
>
> Any ideas to stop this behavior?
>
> Thanks,
> Juls

I would find some nice pretty stones to put around in the dirt. It
keeps moisture in when you water and she will lose interest in digging.

Juls
October 9th 05, 03:40 AM
In article <200510081723252781%[email protected]>, Karen
> wrote:

> On 2005-10-08 10:05:01 -0500, Juls > said:
>
> > I brought in my houseplants last night because it's getting cool at
> > night. Dmitri used to try and eat the shamrocks and spider plants, so I
> > got those up and out of Jasmine's way quickly. (After she taste tested
> > both, and said "mmmm, I likey.")
> >
> > The diffenbachia is another story. It's large, about four feet tall,
> > and very toxic to animals. She tried to climb it, but didn't taste it.
> > Then she began frantically digging in the soil and flinging it
> > everywhere. At first I though she was digging to use it for a potty,
> > but it quickly becamse obvious she's doing it for fun. She is
> > positively GLEEFUL when she gets going. (I swear this cat has some dog
> > in her)
> >
> > At first, I tried to grab her, use the hand signal for no (and I mouth
> > the word no to her face), but as soon as I put her down, she went back
> > to it. I had to put her in the sink a couple of times to clean her up.
> > Though the sight of this all-white kitty covered in black potting soil
> > was hilarious, I did try my best to not show any amusement.
>
> Pictures!!

Uh, lol. If the camera had been handy, it would have made some
hilarious pictures, but she was dripping dirt everywhere, and my hands
were filled trying to wrestle her into the sink. She's a strong little
mouse! (I sometimes call her Minnie Mouse, or sadly, Squeaky Fromme,
because of the squeak she makes instead of regular meows)

The foil has definitely stopped the digging, though now she
occasionally tries to climb the plant. I put it back up on the counter
for the night, and we'll try again tomorrow.

She's a riot.

--
To email (remove annoying hyphens)

j-u-l-i
at
e-c-t-dot-o-r-g

Karen
October 9th 05, 04:50 AM
On 2005-10-08 21:40:35 -0500, Juls > said:

>> Pictures!!
>
> Uh, lol. If the camera had been handy, it would have made some
> hilarious pictures, but she was dripping dirt everywhere, and my hands
> were filled trying to wrestle her into the sink. She's a strong little
> mouse! (I sometimes call her Minnie Mouse, or sadly, Squeaky Fromme,
> because of the squeak she makes instead of regular meows)

Ee. That's a bit scary ;)

> The foil has definitely stopped the digging, though now she
> occasionally tries to climb the plant. I put it back up on the counter
> for the night, and we'll try again tomorrow.
>
> She's a riot.

Sounds like it! I'm envious. I spend my days worrying about Sugar and
Pearl anymore instead of enjoying them.

.oO rach Oo.
October 9th 05, 04:10 PM
I would sprinkle a few cloves around the base of the dirt. They don't *tend*
like the smell. Maybe some seashells? As far as eating the plants, they are
stubborn that way... putting it up is usually the only way.

--
..oO rach Oo.

"Juls" > wrote in message
>I brought in my houseplants last night because it's getting cool at
> night. Dmitri used to try and eat the shamrocks and spider plants, so I
> got those up and out of Jasmine's way quickly. (After she taste tested
> both, and said "mmmm, I likey.")
>
> The diffenbachia is another story. It's large, about four feet tall,
> and very toxic to animals. She tried to climb it, but didn't taste it.
> Then she began frantically digging in the soil and flinging it
> everywhere. At first I though she was digging to use it for a potty,
> but it quickly becamse obvious she's doing it for fun. She is
> positively GLEEFUL when she gets going. (I swear this cat has some dog
> in her)
>
> At first, I tried to grab her, use the hand signal for no (and I mouth
> the word no to her face), but as soon as I put her down, she went back
> to it. I had to put her in the sink a couple of times to clean her up.
> Though the sight of this all-white kitty covered in black potting soil
> was hilarious, I did try my best to not show any amusement.
>
> I have Feliaway somewhere (when I moved, I put it somewhere, and can't
> remember where, but I'll find it). Would that work? When I was growing
> up, we used mothballs to keep cats out of things. Is that safe? (We
> also used to douse them in Sevin powder, because the vet said it was
> safe!!! Things have changed over the years, i do believe.)
>
> For now, I put it up on the kitchen counter (anything I had tall
> enough, such as the fridge or a large bookcase, was too tall to
> accomodate the plant). I did expect it to be down this morning, but
> surprisingly, she either didn't notice it or didn't care anymore. It
> had not been touched.
>
> As a last resort, I can put it down in the basement until she's older.
> There's enough light for it to survive, but I'd rather have it upstairs
> so I can see it.
>
> Any ideas to stop this behavior?
>
> Thanks,
> Juls
>
> --
> To email (remove annoying hyphens)
>
> j-u-l-i
> at
> e-c-t-dot-o-r-g

Juls
October 11th 05, 03:18 AM
In article <2005100822504427590%[email protected]>, Karen
> wrote:

> On 2005-10-08 21:40:35 -0500, Juls > said:
>

> >> Pictures!!
> >
> > Uh, lol. If the camera had been handy, it would have made some
> > hilarious pictures, but she was dripping dirt everywhere, and my hands
> > were filled trying to wrestle her into the sink. She's a strong little
> > mouse! (I sometimes call her Minnie Mouse, or sadly, Squeaky Fromme,
> > because of the squeak she makes instead of regular meows)
>
> Ee. That's a bit scary ;)
>

> > The foil has definitely stopped the digging, though now she
> > occasionally tries to climb the plant. I put it back up on the counter
> > for the night, and we'll try again tomorrow.
> >
> > She's a riot.
>
> Sounds like it! I'm envious. I spend my days worrying about Sugar and
> Pearl anymore instead of enjoying them.

:( I so know that feeling. Even though Dmitri was in great shape (for
an old boy) until he died, I had been worrying about him for years. I
was so worried about cancer (because that's how most of my pets have
died), and before I got Jack, I rushed him to the vet one morning,
having discovered a tumor on his back end. I was just sure it was the
end.

Turned out to be a little pea of poop that was stuck to him. hahaha.
The vet got such a kick out of that.

But I do know what you mean. {{{Headbutts}}}

--
To email (remove annoying hyphens)

j-u-l-i
at
e-c-t-dot-o-r-g

Rhonda
October 11th 05, 04:01 AM
That was good! I'm sure they were chuckling about that for awhile.

My sig. other took his first cat in because of a serious problem on the
roof of her mouth. Turned out to just be pigment (blackish spots.)

Vets probably have tons of stories.

Rhonda