PDA

View Full Version : Fox?

Betsy
October 9th 05, 03:29 PM
Yesterday the basement flooded after 10 inches of rain locally. The fire
department was here to bail and in the confusion my feral cat went missing
(I've since found her, praise God!)

But while I was looking for her outside in the yard, with no contacts in
yet, my eye was drawn to the next door yard. In a flash, I saw an orange
animal moving toward a break in the opposite fence. It ran like a dog, but
was the size of a cat. But when it jumped the 4 foot fence it did so in
one smooth leap, like a cat would.

Could it have been a fox?

Lumpy
October 9th 05, 03:32 PM
"Betsy" > wrote in message
> Yesterday the basement flooded after 10 inches of rain locally. The fire
> department was here to bail and in the confusion my feral cat went missing
> (I've since found her, praise God!)
>
> But while I was looking for her outside in the yard, with no contacts in
> yet, my eye was drawn to the next door yard. In a flash, I saw an orange
> animal moving toward a break in the opposite fence. It ran like a dog,
but
> was the size of a cat. But when it jumped the 4 foot fence it did so in
> one smooth leap, like a cat would.
>
> Could it have been a fox?

Sure sounds like it to me. Where are you?

Betsy
October 9th 05, 03:35 PM
The city! But I've seen them before, just not so orange. I wish I'd had my
contacts in.

"Lumpy" > wrote in message ...

> "Betsy" > wrote in message
>> Yesterday the basement flooded after 10 inches of rain locally. The fire
>> department was here to bail and in the confusion my feral cat went
>> missing
>> (I've since found her, praise God!)
>>
>> But while I was looking for her outside in the yard, with no contacts in
>> yet, my eye was drawn to the next door yard. In a flash, I saw an orange
>> animal moving toward a break in the opposite fence. It ran like a dog,
> but
>> was the size of a cat. But when it jumped the 4 foot fence it did so in
>> one smooth leap, like a cat would.
>>
>> Could it have been a fox?
>>

> Sure sounds like it to me. Where are you?

Lumpy
October 9th 05, 03:40 PM
"Betsy" > wrote in message
> The city! But I've seen them before, just not so orange. I wish I'd had
my
> contacts in.

<G> WHAT city? The question is, is it a place where red foxes are known to
live?

I have seen them in Maryland, and they are so lovely.

Betsy
October 9th 05, 03:47 PM
Sorry, suburb of Baltimore. They are known to live in my neighborhood. But
it was the jump and the color that confused me. Do they jump gracefully
like a cat?

"Lumpy" > wrote in message

> "Betsy" > wrote in message
>> The city! But I've seen them before, just not so orange. I wish I'd had
> my
>> contacts in.
>
> <G> WHAT city? The question is, is it a place where red foxes are known to
> live?
>
> I have seen them in Maryland, and they are so lovely.

Lumpy
October 9th 05, 03:55 PM
"Betsy" > wrote in message
> Sorry, suburb of Baltimore. They are known to live in my neighborhood.
But
> it was the jump and the color that confused me. Do they jump gracefully
> like a cat?

You bet. And they are red, too. I was in a suburb of Baltimore when I saw
foxes in the wild. Lucky you!

.oO rach Oo.
October 9th 05, 04:30 PM
I've seen a fox along a major highway running through Toronto. It was a
beautiful sight... very early in the morning. They are very graceful and
distinctive with their snouts.

--
..oO rach Oo.

"Betsy" > wrote in message
> Yesterday the basement flooded after 10 inches of rain locally. The fire
> department was here to bail and in the confusion my feral cat went missing
> (I've since found her, praise God!)
>
> But while I was looking for her outside in the yard, with no contacts in
> yet, my eye was drawn to the next door yard. In a flash, I saw an orange
> animal moving toward a break in the opposite fence. It ran like a dog,
> but was the size of a cat. But when it jumped the 4 foot fence it did so
> in one smooth leap, like a cat would.
>
> Could it have been a fox?

nobody@junk.min.net
October 10th 05, 11:36 PM
In >, on 10/09/05
at 10:55 AM, "Lumpy" > said:

>"Betsy" > wrote in message
>> Sorry, suburb of Baltimore. They are known to live in my neighborhood.
>But
>> it was the jump and the color that confused me. Do they jump gracefully
>> like a cat?
>>

>You bet. And they are red, too. I was in a suburb of Baltimore when I saw
>foxes in the wild. Lucky you!

I'm in a suburb of Baltimore, and we have foxes. And deer. And
groundhogs.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14

Lumpy
October 11th 05, 01:43 PM
> wrote in message
.net...
> In >, on 10/09/05
> at 10:55 AM, "Lumpy" > said:
>
> >"Betsy" > wrote in message
> >> Sorry, suburb of Baltimore. They are known to live in my neighborhood.
> >But
> >> it was the jump and the color that confused me. Do they jump
gracefully
> >> like a cat?
> >>

> >You bet. And they are red, too. I was in a suburb of Baltimore when I saw
> >foxes in the wild. Lucky you!
>
> I'm in a suburb of Baltimore, and we have foxes. And deer. And
> groundhogs.

It's nice to know the area is still that rural in places. I remember
the countryside being just beautiful--but I also remember the
Hunt Valley area when it was called Cockeysville! (After the
Cockey family, of course! ;) )

Betsy
October 11th 05, 04:20 PM
Well, when I said city, I meant that I'm just 4 blocks from the city line.
And even in the city, the Gardenville area where I used to live, we had
foxes. I heard them calling at night. Once I thought a child was in pain
so I went looking!

One morning in Gardenville I had to get up around dawn and walked the 15
feet to the end of the sidewalk, opened the gate to go to the car, and an
animal whooshed by me, but I again suspect it was a fox. Man, we were
within 2 feet of touching each other!