PDA

View Full Version : Had to put our cat down this morning :(

stonej
October 9th 05, 04:17 PM
Early this morning our two-year old Maine Coon mix, Kenshin, started
making weird noises, gasping for breath and lost use of his two hind
legs. We rushed him to the Michigan State University Small Animal
Clinic where he was diagnosed as having congestive heart failure. We
already knew of the possibility of a murmur that the vets weren't sure
they could do anything about other than take a wait and see approach
to. Vet had told us about a year ago that heart problems aren't
uncommon in cats, but that usually this sort of problem happens without
warning and that you don't know something's wrong until it's too late
to fix. Anyway, apparently a clot broke through and went to his legs,
causing them to not work. He was in a lot of distress and discomfort.
With other options being less than optimistic, emergency vets advised
us the best thing to do was to be humane and put him out of his misery.
We know we did the right thing, but it doesn't make it hurt any less.
At their request, we donated his body to the Vet College for heart
research, hoping our little guy might somehow help other kitties down
the road.

Bye-bye Kenshin. We'll always love you, Angel Kitty.

PawsForThought
October 9th 05, 04:46 PM
I am so sorry for your loss :(

blkcatgal
October 9th 05, 06:19 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. You have my heartfelt condolences.

Sue
"stonej" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Early this morning our two-year old Maine Coon mix, Kenshin, started
> making weird noises, gasping for breath and lost use of his two hind
> legs. We rushed him to the Michigan State University Small Animal
> Clinic where he was diagnosed as having congestive heart failure. We
> already knew of the possibility of a murmur that the vets weren't sure
> they could do anything about other than take a wait and see approach
> to. Vet had told us about a year ago that heart problems aren't
> uncommon in cats, but that usually this sort of problem happens without
> warning and that you don't know something's wrong until it's too late
> to fix. Anyway, apparently a clot broke through and went to his legs,
> causing them to not work. He was in a lot of distress and discomfort.
> With other options being less than optimistic, emergency vets advised
> us the best thing to do was to be humane and put him out of his misery.
> We know we did the right thing, but it doesn't make it hurt any less.
> At their request, we donated his body to the Vet College for heart
> research, hoping our little guy might somehow help other kitties down
> the road.
>
> Bye-bye Kenshin. We'll always love you, Angel Kitty.

stonej
October 9th 05, 06:30 PM
Thank you for all of your responses, they are much appreciated. This
past
week has been really rough for me and my family due to things happening
in our life and then the cat dying this morning has just about put
everyone over
the edge. Please pray for me and my family that things get better
soon.
I know this is not a mental health group but I'm in a mental daze right
now
and just about cracking up.

5cats
October 9th 05, 06:48 PM
I'm terribly sorry to hear of your loss.

When I had to have one of my cats put to sleep two years ago and another
last year, I found this site to be very helpful.

http://www.pet-loss.net/index.html

Kate
October 9th 05, 07:03 PM
"stonej" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thank you for all of your responses, they are much appreciated.
> This
> past
> week has been really rough for me and my family due to things
> happening
> in our life and then the cat dying this morning has just about put
> everyone over
> the edge. Please pray for me and my family that things get better
> soon.
> I know this is not a mental health group but I'm in a mental daze
> right
> now
> and just about cracking up.

My sympathies to you all, and I hope that this rough patch you are
going through will soon be passed.

Kate

mlbriggs
October 9th 05, 07:15 PM
On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 08:17:21 -0700, stonej wrote:

> Early this morning our two-year old Maine Coon mix, Kenshin, started
> making weird noises, gasping for breath and lost use of his two hind legs.
> We rushed him to the Michigan State University Small Animal Clinic where
> he was diagnosed as having congestive heart failure. We already knew of
> the possibility of a murmur that the vets weren't sure they could do
> anything about other than take a wait and see approach to. Vet had told
> us about a year ago that heart problems aren't uncommon in cats, but that
> usually this sort of problem happens without warning and that you don't
> know something's wrong until it's too late to fix. Anyway, apparently a
> clot broke through and went to his legs, causing them to not work. He was
> in a lot of distress and discomfort. With other options being less than
> optimistic, emergency vets advised us the best thing to do was to be
> humane and put him out of his misery.
> We know we did the right thing, but it doesn't make it hurt any less.
> At their request, we donated his body to the Vet College for heart
> research, hoping our little guy might somehow help other kitties down the
> road.
>
> Bye-bye Kenshin. We'll always love you, Angel Kitty.

"Rise up slowly Angel. It's hard to let you go..."
Sincere condolences in the passing of your loved one. MLB

Topaz
October 9th 05, 07:30 PM
"stonej" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Bye-bye Kenshin. We'll always love you, Angel Kitty.

I'm so sorry, I know how this hurts. It was so sudden, too.

Topaz
October 9th 05, 07:33 PM
"stonej" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thank you for all of your responses, they are much appreciated. This
> past
> week has been really rough for me and my family due to things happening
> in our life and then the cat dying this morning has just about put
> everyone over
> the edge. Please pray for me and my family that things get better
> soon.
> I know this is not a mental health group but I'm in a mental daze right
> now
> and just about cracking up.

Hang in there. This is the way it happens at times and it does feel
like you won't get through it but you will and you will be stronger.
Prayers work, too.

Candace
October 9th 05, 07:34 PM
stonej wrote:
> Thank you for all of your responses, they are much appreciated. This
> past
> week has been really rough for me and my family due to things happening
> in our life and then the cat dying this morning has just about put
> everyone over
> the edge. Please pray for me and my family that things get better
> soon.
> I know this is not a mental health group but I'm in a mental daze right
> now
> and just about cracking up.

I'm very, very sorry about Kenshin. It's always hard to lose them but
especially worse when they are so young and when it is a total shock.

I hope you and your family will get through this rough time quickly and
easily.

Candace

Karen
October 9th 05, 07:48 PM
On 2005-10-09 10:17:21 -0500, "stonej" > said:

> Early this morning our two-year old Maine Coon mix, Kenshin, started
> making weird noises, gasping for breath and lost use of his two hind
> legs. We rushed him to the Michigan State University Small Animal
> Clinic where he was diagnosed as having congestive heart failure. We
> already knew of the possibility of a murmur that the vets weren't sure
> they could do anything about other than take a wait and see approach
> to. Vet had told us about a year ago that heart problems aren't
> uncommon in cats, but that usually this sort of problem happens without
> warning and that you don't know something's wrong until it's too late
> to fix. Anyway, apparently a clot broke through and went to his legs,
> causing them to not work. He was in a lot of distress and discomfort.
> With other options being less than optimistic, emergency vets advised
> us the best thing to do was to be humane and put him out of his misery.
> We know we did the right thing, but it doesn't make it hurt any less.
> At their request, we donated his body to the Vet College for heart
> research, hoping our little guy might somehow help other kitties down
> the road.
>
> Bye-bye Kenshin. We'll always love you, Angel Kitty.

I'm so sorry. This is not uncommon in any cat but maine coons have a
much higher chance. So sad since they are such nice cats. My Pearl has
heart problems (plain black moggy) for which she takes medication. I am
hoping that since we caught it fairly early the meds will really,
really help lengthen her life span, but I am also always wondering if I
will come home and find her dead. You just have to love them while you
have them. I'll be thinking of you and Kenshin.

Karen
October 9th 05, 07:49 PM
On 2005-10-09 12:30:28 -0500, "stonej" > said:

> Thank you for all of your responses, they are much appreciated. This
> past
> week has been really rough for me and my family due to things happening
> in our life and then the cat dying this morning has just about put
> everyone over
> the edge. Please pray for me and my family that things get better
> soon.
> I know this is not a mental health group but I'm in a mental daze right
> now
> and just about cracking up.

I do hope things get better soon.

Glitter Ninja
October 10th 05, 08:15 AM
I'm so sorry about your kitty. He obviously had a great life in your
household and was very loved.

Stacia

October 10th 05, 09:31 PM
On 9 Oct 2005 08:17:21 -0700, "stonej" >
wrote:

>Early this morning our two-year old Maine Coon mix, Kenshin, started
>making weird noises, gasping for breath and lost use of his two hind
>legs. We rushed him to the Michigan State University Small Animal
>Clinic where he was diagnosed as having congestive heart failure. We
>already knew of the possibility of a murmur that the vets weren't sure
>they could do anything about other than take a wait and see approach
>to. Vet had told us about a year ago that heart problems aren't
>uncommon in cats, but that usually this sort of problem happens without
>warning and that you don't know something's wrong until it's too late
>to fix. Anyway, apparently a clot broke through and went to his legs,
>causing them to not work. He was in a lot of distress and discomfort.
>With other options being less than optimistic, emergency vets advised
>us the best thing to do was to be humane and put him out of his misery.
> We know we did the right thing, but it doesn't make it hurt any less.
>At their request, we donated his body to the Vet College for heart
>research, hoping our little guy might somehow help other kitties down
>the road.
>
>Bye-bye Kenshin. We'll always love you, Angel Kitty.

I am so sorry for your loss. You will hurt for awhile, but someday, I
hope you will think about Kenshin and find yourself smiling at the
happy memories instead of thinking of the pain you feel now.

My heart goes out to you.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~summer/index.htm (genealogy)
Animals in Movies Website)

meee
October 11th 05, 01:47 AM
I am so sorry for your loss...here's hoping things start to look up for
you...i'm praying for you, and hope things will get better.....

Juls
October 11th 05, 03:24 AM
In article . com>,
"stonej" > wrote:

> Bye-bye Kenshin. We'll always love you, Angel Kitty.

I'm so sorry.

--
To email (remove annoying hyphens)

j-u-l-i