PDA

View Full Version : 1 week old kitten and fleas

Dave the Wave
October 11th 05, 01:15 AM
I have a kitten that is about 1 week old. Today, I noticed signs of fleas
and saw one or two just before they jumped out of sight. Since the animal
is so young I do not know what to use. The flea control I use for my 2
older cats warns that kittens must be 12 weeks old, and should not be
nursing.

Can I drown the fleas by bathing the poor little critter? Please provide
any helpful information.

Much thanks!

Gail
October 11th 05, 02:27 AM
Buy a flea comb and comb the fleas off of him and drown them.
Gail
"Dave the Wave" > wrote in message
7.142...
>I have a kitten that is about 1 week old. Today, I noticed signs of fleas
> and saw one or two just before they jumped out of sight. Since the animal
> is so young I do not know what to use. The flea control I use for my 2
> older cats warns that kittens must be 12 weeks old, and should not be
> nursing.
>
> Can I drown the fleas by bathing the poor little critter? Please provide
> any helpful information.
>
> Much thanks!

meee
October 11th 05, 02:48 AM
you could try a pyrethrin powder...although still a bit poisonous, it's not
so pervasive or toxic as some of the others. I've been using it on jasmine
while she's pregnant, and it's quite safe and effective PROVIDED you use it
weekly and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS...if they ingest large amounts, obviously
it can make them sick, but the instructions tell you specifically how. it's
messier than tablets and frontline etc, but worth it.

--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway

"Gail" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Buy a flea comb and comb the fleas off of him and drown them.
> Gail
> "Dave the Wave" > wrote in message
> 7.142...
> >I have a kitten that is about 1 week old. Today, I noticed signs of fleas
> > and saw one or two just before they jumped out of sight. Since the
animal
> > is so young I do not know what to use. The flea control I use for my 2
> > older cats warns that kittens must be 12 weeks old, and should not be
> > nursing.
> >
> > Can I drown the fleas by bathing the poor little critter? Please provide
> > any helpful information.
> >
> > Much thanks!

Rhonda
October 11th 05, 03:52 AM
Dave,

I would call a vet and see what they suggest. That is awfully young to
be using anything questionable. I think he or she would be too young to
bathe -- it could be a disaster for such a young kitten to get a chill.
They can't regulate their own heat at that age.

Is the kitten with the mother? Does the mother have them too?

Rhonda

Dave the Wave wrote:

> I have a kitten that is about 1 week old. Today, I noticed signs of fleas
> and saw one or two just before they jumped out of sight. Since the animal
> is so young I do not know what to use. The flea control I use for my 2
> older cats warns that kittens must be 12 weeks old, and should not be
> nursing.
>
> Can I drown the fleas by bathing the poor little critter? Please provide
> any helpful information.
>
> Much thanks!

October 11th 05, 05:21 AM
Dave the Wave wrote:
> I have a kitten that is about 1 week old. Today, I noticed signs of fleas
> and saw one or two just before they jumped out of sight. Since the animal
> is so young I do not know what to use. The flea control I use for my 2
> older cats warns that kittens must be 12 weeks old, and should not be
> nursing.
>
> Can I drown the fleas by bathing the poor little critter? Please provide
> any helpful information.
>
> Much thanks!

DAve, I agree with Rhonda. I sure would not use *any* kind of chemical
flea remedy on the little thing, and she's awfully tiny to bathe too.
I would get a flea comb and some tweezers and use the "pick and squish"
method. It's time-consuming, but safe. Try to be sure the older cats
are treated for fleas so that you don't have any in the house.

Sherry

Wendy
October 11th 05, 12:32 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Dave,
>
> I would call a vet and see what they suggest. That is awfully young to be
> using anything questionable. I think he or she would be too young to
> bathe -- it could be a disaster for such a young kitten to get a chill.
> They can't regulate their own heat at that age.
>
> Is the kitten with the mother? Does the mother have them too?
>
> Rhonda

I'd try picking off the fleas with a comb and by hand too as long as the
infestation isn't too bad.

Kittens that age can be bathed if you're very careful doing it. It's
important not to get water in their face (up the nose, in the ears etc) and
to get them completely dry and warm afterwards. I have heard of people using
Dawn dish detergent to drown or at least slow down the fleas, rinse
thoroughly so kitty doesn't end up ingesting detergent, and then combing
with a fine toothed flea comb and squishing any fleas that are combed off.

I had to bath a litter of week old kittens to get urine off of them. The
person taking care of them for the first week didn't know you need to
stimulate them and they had been peeing all over each other and were
starting to develop urine burns on their hind legs and tummies. After their
bath I dried them with a hair dryer on warm (being careful that it didn't
get too warm) and the lowest blower setting. Afterwards I put them in their
box with a heating pad and they survived their bath just fine.

> Dave the Wave wrote:
>
>> I have a kitten that is about 1 week old. Today, I noticed signs of fleas
>> and saw one or two just before they jumped out of sight. Since the animal
>> is so young I do not know what to use. The flea control I use for my 2
>> older cats warns that kittens must be 12 weeks old, and should not be
>> nursing.
>>
>> Can I drown the fleas by bathing the poor little critter? Please provide
>> any helpful information.
>>
>> Much thanks!

October 11th 05, 02:08 PM
Dave the Wave wrote:
> I have a kitten that is about 1 week old. Today, I noticed signs of fleas
> and saw one or two just before they jumped out of sight. Since the animal
> is so young I do not know what to use. The flea control I use for my 2
> older cats warns that kittens must be 12 weeks old, and should not be
> nursing.
>
> Can I drown the fleas by bathing the poor little critter? Please provide
> any helpful information.
>
> Much thanks

You probably know this but--be sure to put a drop or 2 of dish soap
into the flea drowning water. It does something to the water so that
they can't jump out. Then they will really drown.
I have read that fleas on kittens get so bad they they take more blood
from the kitten than the kitten can make, since they're so little. Good
luck! I'm glad your kitten is in such good hands.

-L.
October 11th 05, 05:19 PM
Dave the Wave wrote:
> I have a kitten that is about 1 week old. Today, I noticed signs of fleas
> and saw one or two just before they jumped out of sight. Since the animal
> is so young I do not know what to use. The flea control I use for my 2
> older cats warns that kittens must be 12 weeks old, and should not be
> nursing.
>
> Can I drown the fleas by bathing the poor little critter? Please provide
> any helpful information.
>
> Much thanks!

You can use one drop of Advantage flea treatment. Do not use any other
brand - or it may kill your kitten. Advantage has been used on kittens
as young as 4 days old, safely. This is an off-label use.

-L.

nora batty
October 12th 05, 09:20 PM