PDA

View Full Version : Re: Question about spaying (update)

DAdriano
October 11th 05, 01:22 AM
Thank you everyone for your posts. I'm planning on taking my kitty to the
Mobile Spay Station this month to get her fixed. I had actually taken her
the same time that I got my boy kitty fixed, but they ran out of
appointments right after they took him. So, I'm going to get there extra
early and make sure she gets in! :)

I didn't know about the greater chance of her getting mammary cancer the
longer she was not fixed...thank you for that information, Phil P.! :)

Phil P.
October 11th 05, 02:48 AM
"DAdriano" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Thank you everyone for your posts. I'm planning on taking my kitty to the
> Mobile Spay Station this month to get her fixed. I had actually taken her
> the same time that I got my boy kitty fixed, but they ran out of
> appointments right after they took him. So, I'm going to get there extra
> early and make sure she gets in! :)
>
> I didn't know about the greater chance of her getting mammary cancer the
> longer she was not fixed...thank you for that information, Phil P.! :)

You're quite welcome.

By the time mammary tumors are diagnosed, the cancer has already spread
(metastasized) to the lymph nodes, lungs, pleura, liver, diaphragm, adrenal
gland, kidneys- or *all* of the above in >80% of the cats. Females
neutered after 2 1/2 years of age have a risk or incident rate 7 times
higher than cats neutered before their first heat cycle.

Here's a list of other cancers you'll be preventing by having her neutered:

http://www.maxshouse.com/PreventativeHealth.htm#cancers_Preventable_by_Spay ing/Neutering

That should make you feel pretty good about getting her neutered! ;-) Not
to mention giving her a happier and longer life and not contributing to the
overpopulation and killing problem.

Neutered cats have a lower daily energy requirement than intact cats. So,
just remember to start feeding her about 1/3 less calories about a week
after she's neutered.

Thank you for doing the right thing.

Good luck to you and your cat.

Phil