PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in cat rescue (501 orgs) please help

Karen
October 11th 05, 02:32 PM
Posting for maximum coverage:

please cross post:The ASPCA animal staging area in St Bernard Parrish will
not be accepting anymore animals after Oct 15. I have a friend who is down
there now and feels they are doing a good job of cataloguing the animals as
they come in etc.

There is an urgent need however for them to find groups that can take cats
out of there ..100 to be exact.The groups have to have 501c3 status and must
fill out a form before they can go.

They are also in dire need of animal traps as dogs are roaming the streets
in packs and others are very hard to catch.

The person to contact is Rick Ducharme I have three phones numbers for him
(email pending)319-640-1520 904-728-3675 222-279-0825

There are 500 dogs there now and they are still coming in. They are trying
to place the healthy dogs that have been there the longest with the hopes
Owners will still be able to track them. They have a website showing some of
the dogs(and one horse) that have been processed so
farwww.loststbernardpets.com After the 15th the local animal control will
take over. St Bernard Parrish has been decimated. Only 1500 homes are likely
to still be habitable from what I am told. The 9th ward is a ghost town.

Please cross post this to anyone that might be involved with cat rescue or
all inclusive animal rescues or shelters.

-L.
October 11th 05, 04:59 PM
Karen wrote:
> Posting for maximum coverage:
>
> please cross post:The ASPCA animal staging area in St Bernard Parrish will
> not be accepting anymore animals after Oct 15. I have a friend who is down
> there now and feels they are doing a good job of cataloguing the animals as
> they come in etc.
>
> There is an urgent need however for them to find groups that can take cats
> out of there ..100 to be exact.The groups have to have 501c3 status and must
> fill out a form before they can go.
>
> They are also in dire need of animal traps as dogs are roaming the streets
> in packs and others are very hard to catch.
>
> The person to contact is Rick Ducharme I have three phones numbers for him
> (email pending)319-640-1520 904-728-3675 222-279-0825
>
> There are 500 dogs there now and they are still coming in. They are trying
> to place the healthy dogs that have been there the longest with the hopes
> Owners will still be able to track them. They have a website showing some of
> the dogs(and one horse) that have been processed so
> farwww.loststbernardpets.com

There are two turtles, at least 3 snakes and a ferret listed as well.
We just got an airlift of 115 animals. The suffering is unbelievable
(as you can see from many of the pics on the website - a lot of the
animals didn't do so well). Many of the dogs have permanently lost
eyesight or have ear infections so severe they will be deaf.
Emaciation is the norm. This just ****es me off to no end.

-L.

MaryL
October 11th 05, 11:56 PM
"Karen" > wrote in message
> Posting for maximum coverage:
>
> please cross post:The ASPCA animal staging area in St Bernard Parrish will
> not be accepting anymore animals after Oct 15. I have a friend who is down
> there now and feels they are doing a good job of cataloguing the animals
> as
> they come in etc.
>
> There is an urgent need however for them to find groups that can take cats
> out of there ..100 to be exact.The groups have to have 501c3 status and
> must
> fill out a form before they can go.
>
> They are also in dire need of animal traps as dogs are roaming the streets
> in packs and others are very hard to catch.
>
> The person to contact is Rick Ducharme I have three phones numbers for him
> (email pending)319-640-1520 904-728-3675 222-279-0825
>
> There are 500 dogs there now and they are still coming in. They are trying
> to place the healthy dogs that have been there the longest with the hopes
> Owners will still be able to track them. They have a website showing some
> of
> the dogs(and one horse) that have been processed so
> farwww.loststbernardpets.com After the 15th the local animal control will
> take over. St Bernard Parrish has been decimated. Only 1500 homes are
> likely
> to still be habitable from what I am told. The 9th ward is a ghost town.
>
> Please cross post this to anyone that might be involved with cat rescue or
> all inclusive animal rescues or shelters.

Thanks for posting this, Karen. Out local Alley Cats Allies is hosting an
Adopt-a-Thon/Garage Sale this Saturday to help animal victims of Hurricanes
Katrina and Rita. We have a large number of cats in town that were first
evacuated from Katrina and then had to be moved from those shelters because
Rita was approaching. Some are still at the shelter, and many others are in
foster homes but looking for permanent homes. At one point, we had more
than 300 horses at the Exposition Center, but those were family pets that
were brought in with their hoomins when people evacuated (and later were
picked up by their people). Much less fortunate are the ones that have no
family and desperately need to be adopted. I don't know how many remain
locally, but we started with several hundred.

MaryL

Karen
October 12th 05, 01:31 AM
On 2005-10-11 17:56:04 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER> said:

> "Karen" > wrote in message
>> Posting for maximum coverage:
>>
>> please cross post:The ASPCA animal staging area in St Bernard Parrish will
>> not be accepting anymore animals after Oct 15. I have a friend who is down
>> there now and feels they are doing a good job of cataloguing the animals as
>> they come in etc.
>>
>> There is an urgent need however for them to find groups that can take cats
>> out of there ..100 to be exact.The groups have to have 501c3 status and must
>> fill out a form before they can go.
>>
>> They are also in dire need of animal traps as dogs are roaming the streets
>> in packs and others are very hard to catch.
>>
>> The person to contact is Rick Ducharme I have three phones numbers for him
>> (email pending)319-640-1520 904-728-3675 222-279-0825
>>
>> There are 500 dogs there now and they are still coming in. They are trying
>> to place the healthy dogs that have been there the longest with the hopes
>> Owners will still be able to track them. They have a website showing some of
>> the dogs(and one horse) that have been processed so
>> farwww.loststbernardpets.com After the 15th the local animal control will
>> take over. St Bernard Parrish has been decimated. Only 1500 homes are likely
>> to still be habitable from what I am told. The 9th ward is a ghost town.
>>
>> Please cross post this to anyone that might be involved with cat rescue or
>> all inclusive animal rescues or shelters.
>>

> Thanks for posting this, Karen. Out local Alley Cats Allies is hosting
> an Adopt-a-Thon/Garage Sale this Saturday to help animal victims of
> Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. We have a large number of cats in town
> that were first evacuated from Katrina and then had to be moved from
> those shelters because Rita was approaching. Some are still at the
> shelter, and many others are in foster homes but looking for permanent
> homes. At one point, we had more than 300 horses at the Exposition
> Center, but those were family pets that were brought in with their
> hoomins when people evacuated (and later were picked up by their
> people). Much less fortunate are the ones that have no family and
> desperately need to be adopted. I don't know how many remain locally,
> but we started with several hundred.
>
> MaryL

I know there are hundreds of unclaimed horses and thousands of cats and
dogs. It's so tragic.

MaryL
October 12th 05, 01:39 AM
"Karen" > wrote in message
news:2005101119312024084%[email protected]

> I know there are hundreds of unclaimed horses and thousands of cats and
> dogs. It's so tragic.

Yes. Unfortunately, I suspect that the majority never will be reclaimed or
adopted. (One thing I neglected to mention in my original post is that the
local Alley Cats Allies is holding an Adopt-a-Thon for cats that were
rescued from Katrina and Rita, have been in our shelters, and now have no
homes. All have been vetted and spayed and neutered. All proceeds from the
garage sale will be used to help Rita/Katrina animal victims and for
spay/neuter in our community. They also have a matching donor.)

MaryL

Candace
October 12th 05, 03:15 AM
-L. wrote:

> There are two turtles, at least 3 snakes and a ferret listed as well.
> We just got an airlift of 115 animals. The suffering is unbelievable
> (as you can see from many of the pics on the website - a lot of the
> animals didn't do so well). Many of the dogs have permanently lost
> eyesight or have ear infections so severe they will be deaf.
> Emaciation is the norm. This just ****es me off to no end.

Yeah, and I'm sorry, but I'm really ****ed we are sending Pakistan at
least 50 million bucks. We just had our own natural disaster and that
money would be better served staying here. Why we have to give it to
an area of the world that hates our freaking guts is beyond me. I
honestly don't give a rat's ass about Pakistan.

Candace

-L.
October 12th 05, 09:52 AM
Candace wrote:
> -L. wrote:
> >
> > There are two turtles, at least 3 snakes and a ferret listed as well.
> > We just got an airlift of 115 animals. The suffering is unbelievable
> > (as you can see from many of the pics on the website - a lot of the
> > animals didn't do so well). Many of the dogs have permanently lost
> > eyesight or have ear infections so severe they will be deaf.
> > Emaciation is the norm. This just ****es me off to no end.
> >
> Yeah, and I'm sorry, but I'm really ****ed we are sending Pakistan at
> least 50 million bucks. We just had our own natural disaster and that
> money would be better served staying here. Why we have to give it to
> an area of the world that hates our freaking guts is beyond me. I
> honestly don't give a rat's ass about Pakistan.
>
> Candace

But Candace, we have to play nicey-nice with Pakistan. They're one of
our allies in the so-called "war on terrorism", doncha know...

I just wish we'd quit funding senseless wars (declared and undeclared)
for senseless reasons and keep enough money here to help ourselves in
times of crisis/disaster. It's freaking ridiculous that we have to
turn to private donation in times like these, just to keep our heads
above water. I sure hope people don't forget this come voting time.

That aside, the animals really have shouldered the brunt of this
Katrina mess. It's just so unfair - they didn't ask to be dumped/left
behind and so many of them are so sick now. I triaged dogs coming in
for four hours and went home in tears. And this is after weeks of
pallative care in makeshift shelters. And supposedly, we got "healthy"
ones.

I just freaking hate people sometimes.

-L.

MaryL
October 12th 05, 11:51 AM
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Candace wrote:
>> -L. wrote:
>> >
>> > There are two turtles, at least 3 snakes and a ferret listed as well.
>> > We just got an airlift of 115 animals. The suffering is unbelievable
>> > (as you can see from many of the pics on the website - a lot of the
>> > animals didn't do so well). Many of the dogs have permanently lost
>> > eyesight or have ear infections so severe they will be deaf.
>> > Emaciation is the norm. This just ****es me off to no end.
>> >
>> Yeah, and I'm sorry, but I'm really ****ed we are sending Pakistan at
>> least 50 million bucks. We just had our own natural disaster and that
>> money would be better served staying here. Why we have to give it to
>> an area of the world that hates our freaking guts is beyond me. I
>> honestly don't give a rat's ass about Pakistan.
>>
>> Candace
>
> But Candace, we have to play nicey-nice with Pakistan. They're one of
> our allies in the so-called "war on terrorism", doncha know...
>
> I just wish we'd quit funding senseless wars (declared and undeclared)
> for senseless reasons and keep enough money here to help ourselves in
> times of crisis/disaster. It's freaking ridiculous that we have to
> turn to private donation in times like these, just to keep our heads
> above water. I sure hope people don't forget this come voting time.
>
> That aside, the animals really have shouldered the brunt of this
> Katrina mess. It's just so unfair - they didn't ask to be dumped/left
> behind and so many of them are so sick now. I triaged dogs coming in
> for four hours and went home in tears. And this is after weeks of
> pallative care in makeshift shelters. And supposedly, we got "healthy"
> ones.
>
> I just freaking hate people sometimes.
>
> -L.

A message like this one can do more good than hours of news articles. You
speak from experience, and you speak from the heart. Unfortunately, I don't
think some of our decision makers have any hearts to reach.

Do you have a web site where you could post some photos? They would be hard
to look at -- but, again, some graphic photos might wake up a few people.

MaryL

MaryL
October 12th 05, 01:38 PM
"Karen" > wrote in message
> Posting for maximum coverage:
>
> please cross post:The ASPCA animal staging area in St Bernard Parrish will
> not be accepting anymore animals after Oct 15. I have a friend who is down
> there now and feels they are doing a good job of cataloguing the animals
> as
> they come in etc.
>
> There is an urgent need however for them to find groups that can take cats
> out of there ..100 to be exact.The groups have to have 501c3 status and
> must
> fill out a form before they can go.
>
> They are also in dire need of animal traps as dogs are roaming the streets
> in packs and others are very hard to catch.
>
> The person to contact is Rick Ducharme I have three phones numbers for him
> (email pending)319-640-1520 904-728-3675 222-279-0825
>
> There are 500 dogs there now and they are still coming in. They are trying
> to place the healthy dogs that have been there the longest with the hopes
> Owners will still be able to track them. They have a website showing some
> of
> the dogs(and one horse) that have been processed so
> farwww.loststbernardpets.com After the 15th the local animal control will
> take over. St Bernard Parrish has been decimated. Only 1500 homes are
> likely
> to still be habitable from what I am told. The 9th ward is a ghost town.
>
> Please cross post this to anyone that might be involved with cat rescue or
> all inclusive animal rescues or shelters.

Karen,

I contacted the president of our local Alley Cat Allies. She had seen the
information previously. She said if we place some of our kitties at the
Saturday adopt-a-thon (some of which had been displaced by Hurricane Rita),
she plans to contact them and offer to help. So, give us good wishes for
the garage sale (fund-raiser) and adopt-a-thon -- both to help the cats we
already have and to provide room so we can bring in some other displaced
kitties.

MaryL

Karen
October 12th 05, 02:59 PM
news:[email protected]

> "Karen" > wrote in message
> > Posting for maximum coverage:
> >
> > please cross post:The ASPCA animal staging area in St Bernard Parrish
will
> > not be accepting anymore animals after Oct 15. I have a friend who is
down
> > there now and feels they are doing a good job of cataloguing the animals
> > as
> > they come in etc.
> >
> > There is an urgent need however for them to find groups that can take
cats
> > out of there ..100 to be exact.The groups have to have 501c3 status and
> > must
> > fill out a form before they can go.
> >
> > They are also in dire need of animal traps as dogs are roaming the
streets
> > in packs and others are very hard to catch.
> >
> > The person to contact is Rick Ducharme I have three phones numbers for
him
> > (email pending)319-640-1520 904-728-3675 222-279-0825
> >
> > There are 500 dogs there now and they are still coming in. They are
trying
> > to place the healthy dogs that have been there the longest with the
hopes
> > Owners will still be able to track them. They have a website showing
some
> > of
> > the dogs(and one horse) that have been processed so
> > farwww.loststbernardpets.com After the 15th the local animal control
will
> > take over. St Bernard Parrish has been decimated. Only 1500 homes are
> > likely
> > to still be habitable from what I am told. The 9th ward is a ghost town.
> >
> > Please cross post this to anyone that might be involved with cat rescue
or
> > all inclusive animal rescues or shelters.
> >

> Karen,
>
> I contacted the president of our local Alley Cat Allies. She had seen the
> information previously. She said if we place some of our kitties at the
> Saturday adopt-a-thon (some of which had been displaced by Hurricane
Rita),
> she plans to contact them and offer to help. So, give us good wishes for
> the garage sale (fund-raiser) and adopt-a-thon -- both to help the cats we
> already have and to provide room so we can bring in some other displaced
> kitties.
>
> MaryL

I hope that works. They are shutting down operations. The temp shelters are
having to shut down and I think they are just trying to get places for pets.
ACA is trapping. I know they are doing a lot of work down there.

MINO
October 12th 05, 04:25 PM
I live in the New Orleans area and have been helping out with the humane
society and a good friend of mine is the owner and has taken in many
displaced animals and has received thousands of food, medication, toys, etc
for the animals that she has. I will forward this email to her and see if
she can find foster homes. She has many contacts and yes it's very
heartbreaking to see what the animals went through, being stranded on the
roofs of their homes while the water was rising. There are still animals out
there suffering. Thousands have been saved, but so many were left out there
for so long with no food or water that they didn't make it.

http://www.nola.com/forums/animals/

http://www.ifaw.org/ifaw/general/default.aspx?oid=147601

--
"An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language."
"Karen" > wrote in message
> Posting for maximum coverage:
>
> please cross post:The ASPCA animal staging area in St Bernard Parrish will
> not be accepting anymore animals after Oct 15. I have a friend who is down
> there now and feels they are doing a good job of cataloguing the animals
> as
> they come in etc.
>
> There is an urgent need however for them to find groups that can take cats
> out of there ..100 to be exact.The groups have to have 501c3 status and
> must
> fill out a form before they can go.
>
> They are also in dire need of animal traps as dogs are roaming the streets
> in packs and others are very hard to catch.
>
> The person to contact is Rick Ducharme I have three phones numbers for him
> (email pending)319-640-1520 904-728-3675 222-279-0825
>
> There are 500 dogs there now and they are still coming in. They are trying
> to place the healthy dogs that have been there the longest with the hopes
> Owners will still be able to track them. They have a website showing some
> of
> the dogs(and one horse) that have been processed so
> farwww.loststbernardpets.com After the 15th the local animal control will
> take over. St Bernard Parrish has been decimated. Only 1500 homes are
> likely
> to still be habitable from what I am told. The 9th ward is a ghost town.
>
> Please cross post this to anyone that might be involved with cat rescue or
> all inclusive animal rescues or shelters.

-L.
October 13th 05, 06:20 AM
MaryL wrote:
> A message like this one can do more good than hours of news articles. You
> speak from experience, and you speak from the heart. Unfortunately, I don't
> think some of our decision makers have any hearts to reach.
>
> Do you have a web site where you could post some photos? They would be hard
> to look at -- but, again, some graphic photos might wake up a few people.
>
> MaryL

I didn't take any photos. I now wish I had. I'm leaving in a couple
days to go OOT and probably won't get back to the shelter for 3 or 4
weeks, but I will look and see if there are any photos available.

One case that just haunts me was a poodle with an abscessed face. She
was on antibiotics, but it was just horrible and she needed surgery
right away. I won't go into detail but it originated in her eye. :*(

-L.