PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm going to leave my cat Callie go...It hurts

Rick
October 14th 05, 12:01 AM
For those of you who pray please say a little prayer for my baby Callie. I
rushed her to the hospital on Tuesday night and she has been there since. It
is now Thursday evening. It was discovered that she is diabetic, she had a
urinary tract infection, her glucose was very high, ketone levels were very
high. She showed some improvement since Tuesday but is still not very
responsive and she isn't eating. The doctor said her kidneys seem to be
failing. She was on a special diet for that but it seems like there isn't
much hope. So tonight we agreed keeping her in the hospital another night
and if she got any better and if they could get her to eat maybe bringing
her home to see how she does for a couple of days but the prognosis from the
doctor is that she is really concerned about her kidneys and realistically
is thinking even if we started treatment for the diabetes that she might
only make a couple more months because of her kidneys.

I don't want her to have to linger and waste away. The dreaded decision that
I never wanted to have to make has been discussed. I'm back and forth on
whether to bring her home for a couple days. If she does come home and gets
worse there is the stress of transporting her. The hospital is about a 25
minute drive. I just don't know if I should put her through the stress of
transporting her again. She's 14 years old and has had a really good life.
We've had a very special connection. I'm so sad. I have heard some people
have their pets go to sleep at home but I don't know if that is a good idea.

This hurts so much. I love her more than anything or anybody.

I'm sorry to be spreading my sadness but I know you all care and lots of you
have already been through this. This is my first time dealing with a
possible loss.

Thanks for listening... Ricky

Karen
October 14th 05, 01:05 AM
On 2005-10-13 18:01:31 -0500, "Rick" > said:

> For those of you who pray please say a little prayer for my baby
> Callie. I rushed her to the hospital on Tuesday night and she has been
> there since. It is now Thursday evening. It was discovered that she is
> diabetic, she had a urinary tract infection, her glucose was very high,
> ketone levels were very high. She showed some improvement since Tuesday
> but is still not very responsive and she isn't eating. The doctor said
> her kidneys seem to be failing. She was on a special diet for that but
> it seems like there isn't much hope. So tonight we agreed keeping her
> in the hospital another night and if she got any better and if they
> could get her to eat maybe bringing her home to see how she does for a
> couple of days but the prognosis from the doctor is that she is really
> concerned about her kidneys and realistically is thinking even if we
> started treatment for the diabetes that she might only make a couple
> more months because of her kidneys.
>
> I don't want her to have to linger and waste away. The dreaded decision
> that I never wanted to have to make has been discussed. I'm back and
> forth on whether to bring her home for a couple days. If she does come
> home and gets worse there is the stress of transporting her. The
> hospital is about a 25 minute drive. I just don't know if I should put
> her through the stress of transporting her again. She's 14 years old
> and has had a really good life. We've had a very special connection.
> I'm so sad. I have heard some people have their pets go to sleep at
> home but I don't know if that is a good idea.
>
> This hurts so much. I love her more than anything or anybody.
>
> I'm sorry to be spreading my sadness but I know you all care and lots
> of you have already been through this. This is my first time dealing
> with a possible loss.
>
> Thanks for listening... Ricky

It's a very hard decision. My thoughts are with you.

Candace
October 14th 05, 02:49 AM
Rick wrote:

> This hurts so much. I love her more than anything or anybody.
>
> I'm sorry to be spreading my sadness but I know you all care and lots of you
> have already been through this. This is my first time dealing with a
> possible loss.
>
> Thanks for listening... Ricky

I'm sorry. It *is* very hard to decide when is the right time. My
thoughts are with you and your sweet kitty, If you feel certain she
won't improve, now may be the time but you know her best so don't let
anyone sway your opinion. Prayers going out to Callie.

Candace

October 14th 05, 02:57 AM
Rick,

I', so so sorry, hon I know it;s heartbreaker,,,almst a year ago 15
yr old Sam Cat had to be put down...then are many ways to honor them, I
chose to dedicate a fav book abt cats at my local library, there also
is site that does it
which I can;t rememebr the name of, the greif newsgroup for pet has the
info

everone was very nice nice to me, but don't be aprig to up about it,
after all a member for your family died, let your gried in what ever
manner suites'cryinh journaling, talking to your freinds, do take
take care of your self

lynn

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.
Oscar Wilde

Charlie Wilkes
October 14th 05, 08:34 AM
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 23:01:31 GMT, "Rick" >
wrote:

>For those of you who pray please say a little prayer for my baby Callie. I
>rushed her to the hospital on Tuesday night and she has been there since. It
>is now Thursday evening. It was discovered that she is diabetic, she had a
>urinary tract infection, her glucose was very high, ketone levels were very
>high. She showed some improvement since Tuesday but is still not very
>responsive and she isn't eating. The doctor said her kidneys seem to be
>failing. She was on a special diet for that but it seems like there isn't
>much hope. So tonight we agreed keeping her in the hospital another night
>and if she got any better and if they could get her to eat maybe bringing
>her home to see how she does for a couple of days but the prognosis from the
>doctor is that she is really concerned about her kidneys and realistically
>is thinking even if we started treatment for the diabetes that she might
>only make a couple more months because of her kidneys.
>
>I don't want her to have to linger and waste away. The dreaded decision that
>I never wanted to have to make has been discussed. I'm back and forth on
>whether to bring her home for a couple days. If she does come home and gets
>worse there is the stress of transporting her. The hospital is about a 25
>minute drive. I just don't know if I should put her through the stress of
>transporting her again. She's 14 years old and has had a really good life.
>We've had a very special connection. I'm so sad. I have heard some people
>have their pets go to sleep at home but I don't know if that is a good idea.
>
>This hurts so much. I love her more than anything or anybody.
>
>I'm sorry to be spreading my sadness but I know you all care and lots of you
>have already been through this. This is my first time dealing with a
>possible loss.
>
>Thanks for listening... Ricky

I'm sorry your cat is in such poor shape. I would bring her home, to
see how she does. Based on the cat stories I read here, it seem like
there is some chance she could get better, although probably a slim
one.

If she continues to decline, perhaps you can get a kindly vet to come
in and euthenize her at home.

As long as she is not in great discomfort, I think you can allow
yourself some time to make this decision and prepare for it.

Charlie

IBen Getiner
October 14th 05, 09:26 AM
Rick wrote:
> For those of you who pray please say a little prayer for my baby Callie. I
> rushed her to the hospital on Tuesday night and she has been there since. It
> is now Thursday evening. It was discovered that she is diabetic, she had a
> urinary tract infection, her glucose was very high, ketone levels were very
> high. She showed some improvement since Tuesday but is still not very
> responsive and she isn't eating. The doctor said her kidneys seem to be
> failing. She was on a special diet for that but it seems like there isn't
> much hope. So tonight we agreed keeping her in the hospital another night
> and if she got any better and if they could get her to eat maybe bringing
> her home to see how she does for a couple of days but the prognosis from the
> doctor is that she is really concerned about her kidneys and realistically
> is thinking even if we started treatment for the diabetes that she might
> only make a couple more months because of her kidneys.
>
> I don't want her to have to linger and waste away. The dreaded decision that
> I never wanted to have to make has been discussed. I'm back and forth on
> whether to bring her home for a couple days. If she does come home and gets
> worse there is the stress of transporting her. The hospital is about a 25
> minute drive. I just don't know if I should put her through the stress of
> transporting her again. She's 14 years old and has had a really good life.
> We've had a very special connection. I'm so sad. I have heard some people
> have their pets go to sleep at home but I don't know if that is a good idea.
>
> This hurts so much. I love her more than anything or anybody.
>
> I'm sorry to be spreading my sadness but I know you all care and lots of you
> have already been through this. This is my first time dealing with a
> possible loss.
>
> Thanks for listening... Ricky

Sorry to hear about your kitty's plight, Rick. And yours as well. I
think that sometimes, the hardest thing to do is the right thing. Don't
feel bad about it (yeah, right). Really, though... It sounds for sure
like you brought much happiness to this little creature's life while
she was here with us. But there comes a time when we have that duty to
our faithful fuzzy friends (I wish that people could qualify for this
same benefit sometimes. Why should we not receive the same tender
mercies as our animals when the time of endless suffering comes?).
Endless suffering is not living, Rick. It is not even death. It is
worse than death. Endless pain and suffering is worse than death
because it is not compatible with wholesome living and daily happiness.
Some things are worse than death, Rick. Focus on that vision and
remember who your friends are...

IBen

chas
October 14th 05, 03:22 PM
My thoughts are with you.

Be guided by the vet and of course, by Callie. I had this decision to make a
few years back with a cat who suffered from cancer. Only a major op
discovered the cancer. I had to decide whether to bring him home and get him
over the op only for him to last another few weeks or to have him out sleep
without bringing him back.

I opted for the latter. He would have had not quality of life and it is
always quality over quantity which guides me.

chas

Barb
October 14th 05, 06:35 PM
I'm sorry to learn about Callie. I kept my own Sapphire, 15, going a week
longer than she was comfortable because we were waiting for a biopsy report
and the start of chemo that we thought would help her. It didn't and we
finally had to let her go. I had a special bond with this cat like no other
so I know what this is like.

I know you'll try to do your best for Callie, whatever you decide that is.

Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Rick
October 14th 05, 07:48 PM
Thank you all for your kind words. It looked really bad last night but today
her doctor said her kidney values looked better and she was sitting up. So I
took the day off and went to visit her. She improved from last night and she
ate some solid food. She will not eat for anyone else, but the food she ate
for me was her favorite, Fancy Feast Trout. The doctor said it would be ok
to give her some of it. She might not be ready to give up. The doctor wants
to keep her another night in the hospital and will run more tests on her
kidneys. If the kidney values haven't gone back up she might be able to come
home tomorrow.

I'm hopeful again but at the same time cautious that she could turn the
other way. What a rollercoaster of emotions.

Thanks again for all your support. They sure do get into our hearts don't
they?

chas
October 14th 05, 07:56 PM
Things are sounding promising.

Good luck mate.

I know how you feel.

chas

cybercat
October 14th 05, 08:02 PM
"Rick" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Thank you all for your kind words. It looked really bad last night but
today
> her doctor said her kidney values looked better and she was sitting up. So
> took the day off and went to visit her. She improved from last night and
she
> ate some solid food. She will not eat for anyone else, but the food she
ate
> for me was her favorite, Fancy Feast Trout. The doctor said it would be ok
> to give her some of it. She might not be ready to give up. The doctor
wants
> to keep her another night in the hospital and will run more tests on her
> kidneys. If the kidney values haven't gone back up she might be able to
come
> home tomorrow.

Wonderful!! She might just come home and perk up for you.

> I'm hopeful again but at the same time cautious that she could turn the
> other way. What a rollercoaster of emotions.
>
> Thanks again for all your support. They sure do get into our hearts don't
> they?

They sure do. It's pretty amazing. I know we'll all be eager to hear how
Callie is doing tomorrow.

Joe Canuck
October 14th 05, 09:41 PM
Brandy Alexandre wrote:

> Rick > wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>

>>For those of you who pray please say a little prayer for my baby
>>Callie. I rushed her to the hospital on Tuesday night and she has
>>been there since. It is now Thursday evening. It was discovered
>>that she is diabetic, she had a urinary tract infection, her
>>glucose was very high, ketone levels were very high. She showed
>>some improvement since Tuesday but is still not very responsive
>>and she isn't eating. The doctor said her kidneys seem to be
>>failing. She was on a special diet for that but it seems like
>>there isn't much hope. So tonight we agreed keeping her in the
>>hospital another night and if she got any better and if they could
>>get her to eat maybe bringing her home to see how she does for a
>>couple of days but the prognosis from the doctor is that she is
>>really concerned about her kidneys and realistically is thinking
>>even if we started treatment for the diabetes that she might only
>>make a couple more months because of her kidneys.
>>
>>I don't want her to have to linger and waste away. The dreaded
>>decision that I never wanted to have to make has been discussed.
>>I'm back and forth on whether to bring her home for a couple days.
>>If she does come home and gets worse there is the stress of
>>transporting her. The hospital is about a 25 minute drive. I just
>>don't know if I should put her through the stress of transporting
>>her again. She's 14 years old and has had a really good life.
>>We've had a very special connection. I'm so sad. I have heard some
>>people have their pets go to sleep at home but I don't know if
>>that is a good idea.
>>
>>This hurts so much. I love her more than anything or anybody.
>>
>>I'm sorry to be spreading my sadness but I know you all care and
>>lots of you have already been through this. This is my first time
>>dealing with a possible loss.
>>
>>Thanks for listening... Ricky
>>

> I'm so sorry to hear about her failing health. Have you asked if a
> vet will come to your house to do it? It might be nice to bring her
> back to her home for a day or so and have it done there.
>
> I feel for you, I really do, because I know such a day for me isn't
> all that far away.

So you feel badly for someone else because you know you will be going
through it yourself eventually?

That was really touching.

Larry
October 17th 05, 01:15 AM
I'm glad Callie is feeling better. Diabetes and CRF are bad especially when
combined. I have been lucky and have not yet have to deal with CRF.
However, I have experience with ketones and diabetic kitties. Are the
ketones still present?

--
Larry - Owned by ten cats

Charlie Wilkes
October 17th 05, 09:29 AM
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:48:57 GMT, "Rick" >
wrote:

>Thank you all for your kind words. It looked really bad last night but today
>her doctor said her kidney values looked better and she was sitting up. So I
>took the day off and went to visit her. She improved from last night and she
>ate some solid food. She will not eat for anyone else, but the food she ate
>for me was her favorite, Fancy Feast Trout. The doctor said it would be ok
>to give her some of it. She might not be ready to give up. The doctor wants
>to keep her another night in the hospital and will run more tests on her
>kidneys. If the kidney values haven't gone back up she might be able to come
>home tomorrow.
>
>I'm hopeful again but at the same time cautious that she could turn the
>other way. What a rollercoaster of emotions.
>
>Thanks again for all your support. They sure do get into our hearts don't
>they?

Yeah, they do, and their lifespans are way too short. But, someone
posted here not too long ago about how a cat enjoyed a good life for a
few years after a grim CRF prognosis. I hope Callie gets a similar
reprieve.

Charlie

Cindy
October 17th 05, 07:40 PM
Rick wrote:
> For those of you who pray please say a little prayer for my baby Callie. I
> rushed her to the hospital on Tuesday night and she has been there since. It
> is now Thursday evening. It was discovered that she is diabetic, she had a
> urinary tract infection, her glucose was very high, ketone levels were very
> high. She showed some improvement since Tuesday but is still not very
> responsive and she isn't eating. The doctor said her kidneys seem to be
> failing. She was on a special diet for that but it seems like there isn't
> much hope. So tonight we agreed keeping her in the hospital another night
> and if she got any better and if they could get her to eat maybe bringing
> her home to see how she does for a couple of days but the prognosis from the
> doctor is that she is really concerned about her kidneys and realistically
> is thinking even if we started treatment for the diabetes that she might
> only make a couple more months because of her kidneys.
>
> I don't want her to have to linger and waste away. The dreaded decision that
> I never wanted to have to make has been discussed. I'm back and forth on
> whether to bring her home for a couple days. If she does come home and gets
> worse there is the stress of transporting her. The hospital is about a 25
> minute drive. I just don't know if I should put her through the stress of
> transporting her again. She's 14 years old and has had a really good life.
> We've had a very special connection. I'm so sad. I have heard some people
> have their pets go to sleep at home but I don't know if that is a good idea.
>
> This hurts so much. I love her more than anything or anybody.
>
> I'm sorry to be spreading my sadness but I know you all care and lots of you
> have already been through this. This is my first time dealing with a
> possible loss.
>
> Thanks for listening... Ricky

Cindy
October 17th 05, 07:53 PM
First, apologies if this posted incorrectly. I just set this up from
work, but usually reply from home.
Last Sunday, my husband and I had to put our 2 year old Maine coon down
as he struggled through congestive heart failure, throwing a blood clot
that crippled him. I feel for you, Rick, and you are absolutely right.
This was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. With none of the
treatment options holding any hope for Kenshin, my husband and I
agonized and cried a lot, finally deciding to do the only humane thing
we could for our kitty. Please know that you are in our thoughts and
prayers. This group is a great group of people and their support
helped us get through our grief.

Cindy