PDA

View Full Version : Cat Linguistics

Argo
October 14th 05, 04:59 PM
Just recently, there was a notice in the newspaper that a cat was lost
(terrible news). The notice said that the cat would recognize its name
- Felix. Is that really possible?

Back when I was a kid, we had a cat named "Candy," and he always
answered to his name when we called him. He'd come running in from the
bush any time we called (expecting food, naturally). One day I decided
to try an experiment to see if he REALLY recognized his name and I
called "Ipswitch," using the normal tone we used when calling him. Sure
enough, he came hurrying out. Hmm.

Argo
http://greenrealm.blogspot.com (a science fantasy)

Mitchum
October 22nd 05, 12:29 PM
> Just recently, there was a notice in the newspaper that a cat was lost
> (terrible news). The notice said that the cat would recognize its name
> - Felix. Is that really possible?
>
> Back when I was a kid, we had a cat named "Candy," and he always
> answered to his name when we called him. He'd come running in from the
> bush any time we called (expecting food, naturally). One day I decided
> to try an experiment to see if he REALLY recognized his name and I
> called "Ipswitch," using the normal tone we used when calling him. Sure
> enough, he came hurrying out. Hmm.

Whenever you call him in, did you only call him when he was being invited in
for food? It's possible he simply associated your voice with food and so
even if you shouted 'old flea bag' he would have come running.

Ollie Clark
October 25th 05, 04:02 PM
Argo wrote:
> Just recently, there was a notice in the newspaper that a cat was lost
> (terrible news). The notice said that the cat would recognize its name
> - Felix. Is that really possible?
>
> Back when I was a kid, we had a cat named "Candy," and he always
> answered to his name when we called him. He'd come running in from the
> bush any time we called (expecting food, naturally). One day I decided
> to try an experiment to see if he REALLY recognized his name and I
> called "Ipswitch," using the normal tone we used when calling him. Sure
> enough, he came hurrying out. Hmm.

That's my experience too. Call them whatever you want and they'll still
come as long as you do it in the right tone. We've got one cat called
Isobelle and she gets called Issy, Bez, Bezzy, Boo, Boozle etc. and she
doesn't seem confused. I mistook her for our other cat once and called her
Toby and she still came.

--

http://www.ollieclark.com/acronyms.html

Rhino
October 26th 05, 05:09 PM
"Ollie Clark" > wrote in message
> Argo wrote:
> > Just recently, there was a notice in the newspaper that a cat was lost
> > (terrible news). The notice said that the cat would recognize its name
> > - Felix. Is that really possible?
> >
> > Back when I was a kid, we had a cat named "Candy," and he always
> > answered to his name when we called him. He'd come running in from the
> > bush any time we called (expecting food, naturally). One day I decided
> > to try an experiment to see if he REALLY recognized his name and I
> > called "Ipswitch," using the normal tone we used when calling him. Sure
> > enough, he came hurrying out. Hmm.
>
> That's my experience too. Call them whatever you want and they'll still
> come as long as you do it in the right tone. We've got one cat called
> Isobelle and she gets called Issy, Bez, Bezzy, Boo, Boozle etc. and she
> doesn't seem confused. I mistook her for our other cat once and called her
> Toby and she still came.

My mother has two nearly identical brother cats from the same litter; one
time, I mistakenly called Sam "Tiger" and he made a funny little noise as if
he was saying "I beg your pardon, I'm the other one." But that's probably
just me anthropromorphizing; perhaps the noise just meant that I'd started
him or "what do you want?"....

Rhino

October 26th 05, 07:50 PM
Our two cats definitely recognize their own names. For example, if both
are just
sitting nearby, I can softly say one's name and only that guy will look
up, or vice
versa.

One guy hardly ever talks and the other almost never stops. When I say
his name,
he always looks at me and says, "Yes?" In cat, of course.