PDA

View Full Version : My cat keeps licking plastic bags!

DAdriano
October 16th 05, 10:55 PM
Anyone have any thoughts about my female cat doing this? She doesn't try to
eat it, but she loves to lick any sort of plastic bag (like grocery bags or
garbage bags). Is she lacking in some supplement that makes her want to do
this?

Spot
October 16th 05, 11:10 PM
I've seen postings for this before but I can't remember if anyone ever
really came up with a reason for it. I have a calico who likes to chew
apart cardboard boxes. I swear she was a cock roach in a previous life.
She never eats them just chew bits off the boxes and makes a mess.

Celeste

"DAdriano" > wrote in message
news:a%[email protected]
> Anyone have any thoughts about my female cat doing this? She doesn't try
> to eat it, but she loves to lick any sort of plastic bag (like grocery
> bags or garbage bags). Is she lacking in some supplement that makes her
> want to do this?

---MIKE---
October 16th 05, 11:12 PM
>>Anyone have any thoughts about my
>> female cat doing this? She doesn't try
>> to eat it, but she loves to lick any sort
>> of plastic bag (like grocery bags or
>> garbage bags). Is she lacking in some
>> supplement that makes her want to do
>> this?

I think all cats like to do this. When I am through with my grocery
bags, I cut the handles and put the bags in the trash. I don't think
licking the plastic would be harmful but I would prefer that they don't
do it.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Janet B
October 16th 05, 11:23 PM
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 21:55:18 GMT, "DAdriano"
>, clicked their heels and said:

>Anyone have any thoughts about my female cat doing this? She doesn't try to
>eat it, but she loves to lick any sort of plastic bag (like grocery bags or
>garbage bags). Is she lacking in some supplement that makes her want to do
>this?

My weird little tortie has done this all of her life. I keep them out
of reach if it bugs me.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Joe Canuck
October 16th 05, 11:50 PM
DAdriano wrote:

> Anyone have any thoughts about my female cat doing this? She doesn't try to
> eat it, but she loves to lick any sort of plastic bag (like grocery bags or
> garbage bags). Is she lacking in some supplement that makes her want to do
> this?

Keep them out of reach.

Allowing a cat to play with a plastic bag is the same as allowing in
infant to do so.

Be safe first, rather than sorry later.

Rebecca Root
October 17th 05, 01:05 AM
On 2005-10-16 15:55:18 -0600, "DAdriano" > said:

> Anyone have any thoughts about my female cat doing this? She doesn't
> try to eat it, but she loves to lick any sort of plastic bag (like
> grocery bags or garbage bags). Is she lacking in some supplement that
> makes her want to do this?

Don't know if this is true, but somewhere, sometime, I heard that some
plastics are made in part with fish oils, hence the attraction.

Phil P.
October 17th 05, 01:41 AM
"DAdriano" > wrote in message
news:a%[email protected]
> Anyone have any thoughts about my female cat doing this? She doesn't try
> eat it, but she loves to lick any sort of plastic bag (like grocery bags
or
> garbage bags). Is she lacking in some supplement that makes her want to
do
> this?

Cats like to lick/chew plastic bags because of the vegetable- Pam-type
coating used in the molds to prevent the plastic from sticking to the molds.

Gotta watch those plastic bags- Cats' carnassial teeth can cut the plastic
like scissors and they can swallow pieces that can pleat up the intestines
and/or cut through the intestine wall. Also, cats can get their heads
caught in the handles and choke to death.

Phil

Tony P.
October 17th 05, 04:19 AM
In article <2005101618051875249%[email protected]>, says...
> On 2005-10-16 15:55:18 -0600, "DAdriano" > said:
>
> > Anyone have any thoughts about my female cat doing this? She doesn't
> > try to eat it, but she loves to lick any sort of plastic bag (like
> > grocery bags or garbage bags). Is she lacking in some supplement that
> > makes her want to do this?
>
> Don't know if this is true, but somewhere, sometime, I heard that some
> plastics are made in part with fish oils, hence the attraction.

Only one of my three likes to lick and chomp at plastic bags. If it were
actually fish oil all three would go nuts for it so it must be something
else.

BTW, the one who chews/licks plastic also loves being put in a large bag
or box so you can carry him around. But at close to 30lbs. he gets a
little heavy in a very short amount of time.

Brian Link
October 17th 05, 05:38 AM
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 21:55:18 GMT, "DAdriano"
> wrote:

>Anyone have any thoughts about my female cat doing this? She doesn't try to
>eat it, but she loves to lick any sort of plastic bag (like grocery bags or
>garbage bags). Is she lacking in some supplement that makes her want to do
>this?

Louis loves plastic. He also likes envelope glue. He's doing fine, but
I always try to keep bags away from him.. lots of unhappy endings with
cats and plastic bags..

BLink

October 17th 05, 11:42 AM
Otis has been doing this for years, the noise drives me mad so I don't
leave them on the floor any more, but his favourite is the one in my
bedroom bin, which, if allowed, he will frantically lick at about 5am
or thereabout.

nora batty
October 17th 05, 08:24 PM
I have Maine Coon cats which love plastic bags. They don't just lick
the plastic but like to chew it as well. I never leave any lying around
in case they eat it. I have not known any other breed that does this. I
thought it might just be the breed. It is probably something the
manufacturers use to produce the plastic.

nora batty
October 17th 05, 08:27 PM
I have Maine Coon cats which love plastic bags. They don't just lick
the plastic but like to chew it as well. I never leave any lying around
in case they eat it. I have not known any other breed that does this. I
thought it might just be the breed. It is probably something the
manufacturers use to produce the plastic.

nora batty
October 17th 05, 08:28 PM
I have Maine Coon cats which love plastic bags. They don't just lick
the plastic but like to chew it as well. I never leave any lying around
in case they eat it. I have not known any other breed that does this. I
thought it might just be the breed. It is probably something the
manufacturers use to produce the plastic.

John Doe
October 29th 05, 07:59 AM
"Phil P." <phil maxshouse.com> wrote:

> Cats like to lick/chew plastic bags

Mine don't. They do sometimes like to play with them.

> because of the vegetable- Pam-type
> coating used in the molds to prevent the plastic from sticking to
> the molds.

Plastic bags are molded? Perhaps you mean rolled?

> Gotta watch those plastic bags- Cats' carnassial teeth can cut the
> plastic like scissors

Most grocery store type plastic bags use a ripstop material/plastic
which is difficult to cut, especially into pieces.

> and they can swallow pieces that can pleat up the intestines
> and/or cut through the intestine wall. Also, cats can get their
> heads caught in the handles and choke to death.

And if the bag fills with helium, it can hang the cat against the
ceiling.

> Phil

> From: "Phil P." <phil maxshouse.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Subject: Re: My cat keeps licking plastic bags!
> Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 20:41:44 -0400

whitershadeofpale
October 29th 05, 08:07 AM
John Doe wrote:

> And if the bag fills with helium, it can hang the cat against the
> ceiling.

shouldn't you be deworming your cat?

You need to sterilize the hash marks on the carpet, little eggs and
**** (lol) probably down in the rug
you may nebba get rid of them hanging out smoking pot

John Doe
October 29th 05, 08:36 AM
"whitershadeofpale" > wrote:

> John Doe wrote:
>
>> And if the bag fills with helium, it can hang the cat against the
>> ceiling.
>
> shouldn't you be deworming your cat?

If I can get the thing off of the ceiling.

whitershadeofpale
October 29th 05, 08:41 AM
DAdriano wrote:
> Anyone have any thoughts about my female cat doing this? She doesn't try to
> eat it, but she loves to lick any sort of plastic bag (like grocery bags or
> garbage bags). Is she lacking in some supplement that makes her want to do
> this?

I see squarez using thier own cloth grocery bags.

You could always opt for paper if you get a choice.

Phil P.
October 29th 05, 10:39 AM
"John Doe" > wrote in message
> "Phil P." <phil maxshouse.com> wrote:

> > Cats like to lick/chew plastic bags
>
> Mine don't. They do sometimes like to play with them.
>
> > because of the vegetable- Pam-type
> > coating used in the molds to prevent the plastic from sticking to
> > the molds.
>
> Plastic bags are molded? Perhaps you mean rolled?

Your really are a moron.