PDA

View Full Version : my poor kitty

October 18th 05, 06:26 AM
I have a female cat that is about 12 or 13 years old. She has always
been in perfect health but the last month or more she really started to
lose weight fast. I took her to the vet and he said that without some
expensive tests he couldn't be sure what was wrong. I have been buying
some small cans of fancy soft cat food and that is all she will eat.
The problem is that soon after she eats she throws it back up again.
She is very, very thin. Does anyone have any suggestions? I love her
and don't want to put her down but I can't have her destroying my home
either. I don't have the heart to make her stay outside and beyond that
I don't think she would last a day outside.

thank you.

II

Judy
October 18th 05, 06:39 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a female cat that is about 12 or 13 years old. She has always
> been in perfect health but the last month or more she really started to
> lose weight fast. I took her to the vet and he said that without some
> expensive tests he couldn't be sure what was wrong. I have been buying
> some small cans of fancy soft cat food and that is all she will eat.
> The problem is that soon after she eats she throws it back up again.
> She is very, very thin. Does anyone have any suggestions? I love her
> and don't want to put her down but I can't have her destroying my home
> either. I don't have the heart to make her stay outside and beyond that
> I don't think she would last a day outside.
>
> thank you.
>
> II

I have to imagine that your if you want your cat to stay with you that her
problem needs to be diagnosed.

Though tests can be expensive, and if you cannot afford them, have you
spoken to your bet about a payment plan for this?

Gail
October 18th 05, 01:13 PM
Yes, sounds like hyperactive thyroid which can be determined by a blood test
and treated with pills.
Gail
"Nomen Nescio" ]> wrote in message

cybercat
October 18th 05, 03:58 PM
"Gail" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Yes, sounds like hyperactive thyroid which can be determined by a blood
> test and treated with pills.

In addition, the pills are cheap and completely control the problem
so that the cat gains weight and stops throwing up so much.

MaryL
October 18th 05, 04:33 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a female cat that is about 12 or 13 years old. She has always
> been in perfect health but the last month or more she really started to
> lose weight fast. I took her to the vet and he said that without some
> expensive tests he couldn't be sure what was wrong. I have been buying
> some small cans of fancy soft cat food and that is all she will eat.
> The problem is that soon after she eats she throws it back up again.
> She is very, very thin. Does anyone have any suggestions? I love her
> and don't want to put her down but I can't have her destroying my home
> either. I don't have the heart to make her stay outside and beyond that
> I don't think she would last a day outside.
>
> thank you.
>
> II

It's very important that you have some basic diagnostic tests, especially
for thryroid function. If it is thyroid, it is treatable and is not
expensive, but it can mean the difference between life and death for your
cat (and between "quality" and "non-quality" life for awhile). Speak to
your vet about payments, or check into using a credit card.

MaryL

October 20th 05, 06:43 AM
I will take her back into the vet tomorrow and have her tested for the
thyroid problem. Thank you!!!! I will let you guys know what I find
out.

II