PDA

View Full Version : Interesting feline obsession

Opus-
October 18th 05, 08:11 AM
Hi [first time posting here]

My cat has an interesting and cute obsession.

First, his name is Baggy and he is a very healthy neutered 13 year old
pure black shorthair.
He is a well adjusted, friendly cat that loves to be picked up by me.
There are 4 of us here but he only really wants to be held by me.

For the last 2 years or so, he picked up this weird habit. We have
this little juggling ball that much resembles a hackey-sack ball. At
night when we are upstairs in bed he soon follows with the ball in his
mouth, howling the whole time. Once upstairs, he drops the ball and
totally ignores it after that. He completely ignores the ball at all
times except when he is carrying it. If I toss the ball back
downstairs, he won't chase it, but he will bring it back up sometime
during the night. On a weekend we sometimes stay up late watching a
movie downstairs. On those nights, he will bring the ball back
downstairs. He seems obsessed with keeping that ball near us but only
at night. The ball has never had any meaning to him, at least as far
as we can tell. He has always totally ignored it except when he was
carrying it.
It's quite harmless and amusing, so I am simply curious as to what he
is thinking. Any ideas?

Thanx in advance.

--

(Jim, single dad to Lesleigh [Autistic] 04/20/94)

"What, Me Worry?" A. E. Newman

Please note: All unsolicited e-mail sent to me may, at
my discretion, be posted in this newsgroup verbatim.

IBen Getiner
October 18th 05, 11:46 AM
Opus- wrote:
> Hi [first time posting here]
>
> My cat has an interesting and cute obsession.
>
> First, his name is Baggy and he is a very healthy neutered 13 year old
> pure black shorthair.
> He is a well adjusted, friendly cat that loves to be picked up by me.
> There are 4 of us here but he only really wants to be held by me.
>
> For the last 2 years or so, he picked up this weird habit. We have
> this little juggling ball that much resembles a hackey-sack ball. At
> night when we are upstairs in bed he soon follows with the ball in his
> mouth, howling the whole time. Once upstairs, he drops the ball and
> totally ignores it after that. He completely ignores the ball at all
> times except when he is carrying it. If I toss the ball back
> downstairs, he won't chase it, but he will bring it back up sometime
> during the night. On a weekend we sometimes stay up late watching a
> movie downstairs. On those nights, he will bring the ball back
> downstairs. He seems obsessed with keeping that ball near us but only
> at night. The ball has never had any meaning to him, at least as far
> as we can tell. He has always totally ignored it except when he was
> carrying it.
> It's quite harmless and amusing, so I am simply curious as to what he
> is thinking. Any ideas?
>
> Thanx in advance.
>
> --

He probably wants you to play with him. Our cat is very smart, and will
actually fetch and retrieve balls the wife throws down the hall for him
sometimes. It sounds like your kat is a little smarter than your
average kat, too. He may surprise you. Play with that boy!

IBen

cybercat
October 18th 05, 03:57 PM
"Opus-" > wrote in message
> Hi [first time posting here]
>
> My cat has an interesting and cute obsession.
>
> First, his name is Baggy and he is a very healthy neutered 13 year old
> pure black shorthair.
> He is a well adjusted, friendly cat that loves to be picked up by me.
> There are 4 of us here but he only really wants to be held by me.
>
> For the last 2 years or so, he picked up this weird habit. We have
> this little juggling ball that much resembles a hackey-sack ball. At
> night when we are upstairs in bed he soon follows with the ball in his
> mouth, howling the whole time. Once upstairs, he drops the ball and
> totally ignores it after that. He completely ignores the ball at all
> times except when he is carrying it. If I toss the ball back
> downstairs, he won't chase it, but he will bring it back up sometime
> during the night. On a weekend we sometimes stay up late watching a
> movie downstairs. On those nights, he will bring the ball back
> downstairs. He seems obsessed with keeping that ball near us but only
> at night. The ball has never had any meaning to him, at least as far
> as we can tell. He has always totally ignored it except when he was
> carrying it.
> It's quite harmless and amusing, so I am simply curious as to what he
> is thinking. Any ideas?

My cat does this with a rubber snake. :) I get the feeling she is
both practicing hunting prey and giving me a gift of love.

> Thanx in advance.
>
> --
>
> (Jim, single dad to Lesleigh [Autistic] 04/20/94)
>
> "What, Me Worry?" A. E. Newman
>
> Please note: All unsolicited e-mail sent to me may, at
> my discretion, be posted in this newsgroup verbatim.

MaryL
October 18th 05, 04:30 PM
"Opus-" > wrote in message
> Hi [first time posting here]
>
> My cat has an interesting and cute obsession.
>
> First, his name is Baggy and he is a very healthy neutered 13 year old
> pure black shorthair.
> He is a well adjusted, friendly cat that loves to be picked up by me.
> There are 4 of us here but he only really wants to be held by me.
>
> For the last 2 years or so, he picked up this weird habit. We have
> this little juggling ball that much resembles a hackey-sack ball. At
> night when we are upstairs in bed he soon follows with the ball in his
> mouth, howling the whole time. Once upstairs, he drops the ball and
> totally ignores it after that. He completely ignores the ball at all
> times except when he is carrying it.
<snip>

> Thanx in advance.
>
> --
>
> (Jim, single dad to Lesleigh [Autistic] 04/20/94)

I think he is bringing you a gift, much like cats will bring mice and other
"catches" and drop them at your feed. Holly does this every night, and
always with the same little red mouse.

MaryL

Opus-
October 28th 05, 06:31 AM
On 18 Oct 2005 03:46:17 -0700, "IBen Getiner" > spake
thusly:

>Opus- wrote:
>> Hi [first time posting here]
>>
>> My cat has an interesting and cute obsession.
>>
>> First, his name is Baggy and he is a very healthy neutered 13 year old
>> pure black shorthair.
>> He is a well adjusted, friendly cat that loves to be picked up by me.
>> There are 4 of us here but he only really wants to be held by me.
>>
>> For the last 2 years or so, he picked up this weird habit. We have
>> this little juggling ball that much resembles a hackey-sack ball. At
>> night when we are upstairs in bed he soon follows with the ball in his
>> mouth, howling the whole time. Once upstairs, he drops the ball and
>> totally ignores it after that. He completely ignores the ball at all
>> times except when he is carrying it. If I toss the ball back
>> downstairs, he won't chase it, but he will bring it back up sometime
>> during the night. On a weekend we sometimes stay up late watching a
>> movie downstairs. On those nights, he will bring the ball back
>> downstairs. He seems obsessed with keeping that ball near us but only
>> at night. The ball has never had any meaning to him, at least as far
>> as we can tell. He has always totally ignored it except when he was
>> carrying it.
>> It's quite harmless and amusing, so I am simply curious as to what he
>> is thinking. Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanx in advance.
>>
>> --
>>

>He probably wants you to play with him. Our cat is very smart, and will
>actually fetch and retrieve balls the wife throws down the hall for him
>sometimes. It sounds like your kat is a little smarter than your
>average kat, too. He may surprise you. Play with that boy!

Not very likely. He does this when we are all asleep and he comes up
to join us. And, when awake, will have nothing to do with the ball
when prompted.

--

(Jim, single dad to Lesleigh [Autistic] 04/20/94)

"What, Me Worry?" A. E. Newman

Please note: All unsolicited e-mail sent to me may, at
my discretion, be posted in this newsgroup verbatim.

Opus-
October 28th 05, 06:33 AM
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:57:21 -0400, "cybercat" >
spake thusly:

>"Opus-" > wrote in message
>> Hi [first time posting here]
>>
>> My cat has an interesting and cute obsession.
>>
>> First, his name is Baggy and he is a very healthy neutered 13 year old
>> pure black shorthair.
>> He is a well adjusted, friendly cat that loves to be picked up by me.
>> There are 4 of us here but he only really wants to be held by me.
>>
>> For the last 2 years or so, he picked up this weird habit. We have
>> this little juggling ball that much resembles a hackey-sack ball. At
>> night when we are upstairs in bed he soon follows with the ball in his
>> mouth, howling the whole time. Once upstairs, he drops the ball and
>> totally ignores it after that. He completely ignores the ball at all
>> times except when he is carrying it. If I toss the ball back
>> downstairs, he won't chase it, but he will bring it back up sometime
>> during the night. On a weekend we sometimes stay up late watching a
>> movie downstairs. On those nights, he will bring the ball back
>> downstairs. He seems obsessed with keeping that ball near us but only
>> at night. The ball has never had any meaning to him, at least as far
>> as we can tell. He has always totally ignored it except when he was
>> carrying it.
>> It's quite harmless and amusing, so I am simply curious as to what he
>> is thinking. Any ideas?
>
>My cat does this with a rubber snake. :) I get the feeling she is
>both practicing hunting prey and giving me a gift of love.

That sounds possible. He is watching me now as I type this. I wonder
what he's thinking? ;-)

--

(Jim, single dad to Lesleigh [Autistic] 04/20/94)

"What, Me Worry?" A. E. Newman

Please note: All unsolicited e-mail sent to me may, at
my discretion, be posted in this newsgroup verbatim.

Opus-
October 28th 05, 06:41 AM
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:30:58 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER> spake thusly:

>"Opus-" > wrote in message
>> Hi [first time posting here]
>>
>> My cat has an interesting and cute obsession.
>>
>> First, his name is Baggy and he is a very healthy neutered 13 year old
>> pure black shorthair.
>> He is a well adjusted, friendly cat that loves to be picked up by me.
>> There are 4 of us here but he only really wants to be held by me.
>>
>> For the last 2 years or so, he picked up this weird habit. We have
>> this little juggling ball that much resembles a hackey-sack ball. At
>> night when we are upstairs in bed he soon follows with the ball in his
>> mouth, howling the whole time. Once upstairs, he drops the ball and
>> totally ignores it after that. He completely ignores the ball at all
>> times except when he is carrying it.
><snip>
>>
>> Thanx in advance.
>>
>> --
>>
>> (Jim, single dad to Lesleigh [Autistic] 04/20/94)
>>

>I think he is bringing you a gift, much like cats will bring mice and other
>"catches" and drop them at your feed. Holly does this every night, and
>always with the same little red mouse.

That might be, except that he brings it up to the top of the stairs
and no further. He doesn't bring it into our bedroom too often and
never brings it up onto the bed.

--

(Jim, single dad to Lesleigh [Autistic] 04/20/94)

"What, Me Worry?" A. E. Newman

Please note: All unsolicited e-mail sent to me may, at
my discretion, be posted in this newsgroup verbatim.

whitershadeofpale
October 29th 05, 01:42 AM
That's cute!

I agree, sounds like a gift. Hey, at least it's not a dead bird, or a
real rat!