PDA

View Full Version : Hematoma

Perry Justus
October 18th 05, 03:04 PM
Hi,

One of my cats has a hematoma (very swollen ear). I really want to
take him to the vet to have it profesionally cared for, but we're on
such a tight budget that there's no way we could afford the procedure.
What would you recommend doing?

I just found out today that the wrinkly ear thing is caused by
hematoma; his *other* ear is like that, but we never saw it happen to
him. Similarly, one of my other cats has the same wrinkled ear, and
we never saw that one develop either. (Some of my cats cats are in
the garage at night.)

Could any one explain why something like this could go on for weeks
(as some experiences I've read suggest), while others happen in the
blink of an eye? Would the ear really look less disfigured if it were
surgically treated? Again, I would love to take him to the vet, but
it would be nearly impossible to afford.

Thanks,
Perry

cybercat
October 18th 05, 04:00 PM
"Perry Justus" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> One of my cats has a hematoma (very swollen ear). I really want to
> take him to the vet to have it profesionally cared for, but we're on
> such a tight budget that there's no way we could afford the procedure.
> What would you recommend doing?
>
> I just found out today that the wrinkly ear thing is caused by
> hematoma; his *other* ear is like that, but we never saw it happen to
> him. Similarly, one of my other cats has the same wrinkled ear, and
> we never saw that one develop either. (Some of my cats cats are in
> the garage at night.)
>
> Could any one explain why something like this could go on for weeks
> (as some experiences I've read suggest), while others happen in the
> blink of an eye? Would the ear really look less disfigured if it were
> surgically treated? Again, I would love to take him to the vet, but
> it would be nearly impossible to afford.

Aren't these caused by scratching a lot? If your cat is scratching that
much you really do need to take him to the vet.

Paul M. Cook
October 18th 05, 09:18 PM
"Perry Justus" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> One of my cats has a hematoma (very swollen ear). I really want to
> take him to the vet to have it profesionally cared for, but we're on
> such a tight budget that there's no way we could afford the procedure.
> What would you recommend doing?
>
> I just found out today that the wrinkly ear thing is caused by
> hematoma; his *other* ear is like that, but we never saw it happen to
> him. Similarly, one of my other cats has the same wrinkled ear, and
> we never saw that one develop either. (Some of my cats cats are in
> the garage at night.)
>
> Could any one explain why something like this could go on for weeks
> (as some experiences I've read suggest), while others happen in the
> blink of an eye? Would the ear really look less disfigured if it were
> surgically treated? Again, I would love to take him to the vet, but
> it would be nearly impossible to afford.

The procedure is not especially expensive. It involves making a slit in the
ear allowing the site to drain and heal. You need to call your vet, explain
the financial issue and work something out. Any good vet will do this. If
our vet won't then find one who will. The ear will never look the same but
it has to be treated. Not having it treated is not an option. It could get
infectedm rupture or cause necrosis if not properly cared for.

Think of all the things you spend money on that cost the same or less than
the procedure. It's not such a lot of money spread out over 3-4 months.
Work with the vets, they will help you.

Paul

Perry Justus
October 18th 05, 10:35 PM
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:00:33 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Perry Justus" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> One of my cats has a hematoma (very swollen ear). I really want to
>> take him to the vet to have it profesionally cared for, but we're on
>> such a tight budget that there's no way we could afford the procedure.
>> What would you recommend doing?
>>
>> I just found out today that the wrinkly ear thing is caused by
>> hematoma; his *other* ear is like that, but we never saw it happen to
>> him. Similarly, one of my other cats has the same wrinkled ear, and
>> we never saw that one develop either. (Some of my cats cats are in
>> the garage at night.)
>>
>> Could any one explain why something like this could go on for weeks
>> (as some experiences I've read suggest), while others happen in the
>> blink of an eye? Would the ear really look less disfigured if it were
>> surgically treated? Again, I would love to take him to the vet, but
>> it would be nearly impossible to afford.
>>

>Aren't these caused by scratching a lot? If your cat is scratching that
>much you really do need to take him to the vet.

What's really weird is that he *doesn't* scratch his ears that much.
I just wonder if he got in a fight or something...

Perry

cybercat
October 18th 05, 10:38 PM
"Perry Justus" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:00:33 -0400, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

> What's really weird is that he *doesn't* scratch his ears that much.
> I just wonder if he got in a fight or something...

Maybe--but BOTH ears? In any case, Paul is right. He really needs to go to
the
vet. I am sure one of your vets would work it out with you so you could pay
in installments. You might consider keeping your cat inside so that he is
not
exposed to things like fights and disease--but for sure he needs to see the
vet
now. He might be in pain, and his ears might get infected. I can tell you
care
about him, so I know you will help him now. Do let us know how it works out.

Phil P.
October 19th 05, 10:21 PM
"Perry Justus" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> One of my cats has a hematoma (very swollen ear). I really want to
> take him to the vet to have it profesionally cared for, but we're on
> such a tight budget that there's no way we could afford the procedure.
> What would you recommend doing?

Tightening your budget a little more and reevaluating your priorities so you
can take your cat to the vet.

> I just found out today that the wrinkly ear thing is caused by
> hematoma; his *other* ear is like that, but we never saw it happen to
> him. Similarly, one of my other cats has the same wrinkled ear, and
> we never saw that one develop either. (Some of my cats cats are in
> the garage at night.)
>
> Could any one explain why something like this could go on for weeks
> (as some experiences I've read suggest), while others happen in the
> blink of an eye?

Because some hematomas are small and sometimes heal on their own and others
are large and chronic- it depends on the amount of damage. Shaking his head
and/or scratching his ear can fracture the cartilage of the earflap (pinna)
and the delicate blood vessels inside the cartilage. Once the bleeding
starts inside the cartilage- it usually continues until the pressure causes
the blood to clot. Scratching his ear and shaking his head will only
increases the pressure inside the hematoma- which will separate the
fractured cartilage even further and cause the hemorrhaging to begin again.
If the hematoma is left untreated, the fibrin in the blood starts to
dissolve leaving a bloody mass inside the pinna.

Would the ear really look less disfigured if it were
> surgically treated?

If you get him treated right away- there might be no disfigurement- not even
a scar. But if you don't have it treated, it will get bigger and deform the
ear (cauliflower ear) as well as become infected. If the infection gets
into
the bloodstream it can travel to other organs and anywhere in the body. Not
to mention the continuous discomfort.

You also need to find the *cause* that's making his ear itch- he may have
otitis externa that might be secondary to some underlying primary ear
disorder such as ear mites.

Again, I would love to take him to the vet, but
> it would be nearly impossible to afford.

The cat needs to seen by a vet *now*. Treatment probably won't be expensive
if you get him treated *now*- but it will be later.

If you have a decent relationship with your vet, I'm sure he'll accept
partial payments.

Perry Justus
October 21st 05, 01:45 AM
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:21:23 -0400, "Phil P." >
wrote:
>> I just found out today that the wrinkly ear thing is caused by
>> hematoma; his *other* ear is like that, but we never saw it happen to
>> him. Similarly, one of my other cats has the same wrinkled ear, and
>> we never saw that one develop either. (Some of my cats cats are in
>> the garage at night.)
>>
>> Could any one explain why something like this could go on for weeks
>> (as some experiences I've read suggest), while others happen in the
>> blink of an eye?
>
>Because some hematomas are small and sometimes heal on their own and others
>are large and chronic- it depends on the amount of damage. Shaking his head
>and/or scratching his ear can fracture the cartilage of the earflap (pinna)
>and the delicate blood vessels inside the cartilage. Once the bleeding
>starts inside the cartilage- it usually continues until the pressure causes
>the blood to clot. Scratching his ear and shaking his head will only
>increases the pressure inside the hematoma- which will separate the
>fractured cartilage even further and cause the hemorrhaging to begin again.
>If the hematoma is left untreated, the fibrin in the blood starts to
>dissolve leaving a bloody mass inside the pinna.
>

>Would the ear really look less disfigured if it were
>> surgically treated?
>

>If you get him treated right away- there might be no disfigurement- not even
>a scar. But if you don't have it treated, it will get bigger and deform the
>ear (cauliflower ear) as well as become infected. If the infection gets
>into
>the bloodstream it can travel to other organs and anywhere in the body. Not
>to mention the continuous discomfort.
>
>You also need to find the *cause* that's making his ear itch- he may have
>otitis externa that might be secondary to some underlying primary ear
>disorder such as ear mites.
>

>Again, I would love to take him to the vet, but
>> it would be nearly impossible to afford.
>
>The cat needs to seen by a vet *now*. Treatment probably won't be expensive
>if you get him treated *now*- but it will be later.
>
>If you have a decent relationship with your vet, I'm sure he'll accept
>partial payments.

Update...

My Mom initially did not want to take him to the vet, thinking that it
would probably run its course. However, it turns out that our vet is
really good about letting people pay things out. So today, we took
him in for surgery and they're going to keep him until Monday (so he
doesn't sling blood all over the house!).

I'm afraid that his ear may be a little screwed up, since we didn't
take him in immediately (as I actually did, before I knew what it was
and thought it might be life-threatening), but hopefully he'll be
fine.

The doc said that he's seen four or five cats and six or seven dogs in
the past week or two with hematomas... said it's really common right
now. Weird, eh?

Perry

Cheryl
October 21st 05, 02:38 AM
On Thu 20 Oct 2005 08:45:06p, Perry Justus wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

> The doc said that he's seen four or five cats and six or seven
> dogs in the past week or two with hematomas... said it's really
> common right now. Weird, eh?

I heard the same thing from our vet recently when I took a one year
old male in for swollen paw pads. He was licking and chewing them,
had some inflammation and some blister-looking sores that looked
almost like burns. In between the pads was inflammed. She said she's
seen a lot of this over the last month or so, and attributes it to
allergy - either ragweed or mold spores. Depending on where you're
located, definately seasonal.

--
Cheryl

Becky
October 21st 05, 08:45 PM
Hiya

My siamese cat Fawn developed a hematoma 2 weeks ago.
(I think it was arose due to him scratching/headshaking and worrying at a
small cut on his head)
He has been treated but im still worried about him...if anybody knows more
about this please may i ask your opinion?
The vet told me if it is left untreated, it can disperse on its own but is
likely to recurr and if so, will cause 'complications', cailiflower
ear,pain,possible infection. They immediately recommended surgery which
involved draining the ear, stitching it up with plastic tubes both on the
outside and underside of the ear flap, looked very messy but apparently the
tubing is to put pressure on the cartilege layers to stop the ear from
filling up again.
Unfortunately, they seemed to have left a gap with no tubes/stitches and
another smaller lump developed within 4-5 days after surgery :-(
Took him straight back to the vets and they had to do the operation again,
this time they stiched the whole ear, plastic tubes all over, looks very
messy and very uncomfortable for the Fawn :-(
This 2nd operation was 3 days ago and im worried as his earflap looks
generally thicker than the other, even underneath those plastic tubes. Im
really worried the hematoma is returning again....is this likely? Surely it
cant recurr after 2 operations, i dont know what else they can do! I cant
put him through surgery again!
Any advice/opinions/experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Becky

"Perry Justus" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> One of my cats has a hematoma (very swollen ear). I really want to
> take him to the vet to have it profesionally cared for, but we're on
> such a tight budget that there's no way we could afford the procedure.
> What would you recommend doing?
>
> I just found out today that the wrinkly ear thing is caused by
> hematoma; his *other* ear is like that, but we never saw it happen to
> him. Similarly, one of my other cats has the same wrinkled ear, and
> we never saw that one develop either. (Some of my cats cats are in
> the garage at night.)
>
> Could any one explain why something like this could go on for weeks
> (as some experiences I've read suggest), while others happen in the
> blink of an eye? Would the ear really look less disfigured if it were
> surgically treated? Again, I would love to take him to the vet, but
> it would be nearly impossible to afford.
>
> Thanks,
> Perry

cybercat
October 23rd 05, 02:38 PM
"Becky" > wrote in message
> Hiya
>
> My siamese cat Fawn developed a hematoma 2 weeks ago.

Becky, how is Fawn today?

Phil P.
October 23rd 05, 05:35 PM
"Becky" > wrote in message
> Hiya
>
> My siamese cat Fawn developed a hematoma 2 weeks ago.
> (I think it was arose due to him scratching/headshaking and worrying at a
> small cut on his head)
> He has been treated but im still worried about him...if anybody knows more
> about this please may i ask your opinion?
> The vet told me if it is left untreated, it can disperse on its own but is
> likely to recurr and if so, will cause 'complications', cailiflower
> ear,pain,possible infection. They immediately recommended surgery which
> involved draining the ear, stitching it up with plastic tubes both on the
> outside and underside of the ear flap, looked very messy but apparently
the
> tubing is to put pressure on the cartilage layers to stop the ear from
> filling up again.

Actually, the tube is probably for drainage- although drainage tubes aren't
usually used in cats. The stitches should be placed in such a way to allow
drainage but still hold the cartilage together until scar tissue forms.

> Unfortunately, they seemed to have left a gap with no tubes/stitches and

Sloppy job. The incision should gape *slightly* for drainage- but the
stitches should be placed carefully so they don't make any pockets where the
hematoma can reform. Hematomas in cats' ears are caused by the cartilage
splitting- so, the stitches should be placed through both sides of the
cartilage on either side of the hematoma to pull and hold the cartilage
together evenly. Sounds like vet missed a stitch and a pocket formed and
filled with fluid.

> another smaller lump developed within 4-5 days after surgery :-(

The stitches may have been too tight. The stitches can cause edema in the
pinna if they're tied to tightly. Also, the stiches should be placed
vertically- and parallel to the artery and its tiny branches- not
horizontally. across them-- those little branches inside the cartilage are
where hematomas come from.

Another possibility is he may have scratched his ear or shook his head- both
can fracture the cartilage or reopened the fracture before it had time to
heal- could take a few weeks to heal.

> Took him straight back to the vets and they had to do the operation again,
> this time they stitched the whole ear, plastic tubes all over, looks very
> messy and very uncomfortable for the Fawn :-(

He really shouldn't need tubes or stents for support- the cartilage stitched
together should provide enough support if the sutures were placed correctly.

> This 2nd operation was 3 days ago and im worried as his earflap looks
> generally thicker than the other, even underneath those plastic tubes. Im
> really worried the hematoma is returning again....is this likely?

Probably not.

Surely it
> cant recurr after 2 operations, i dont know what else they can do! I cant
> put him through surgery again!
> Any advice/opinions/experiences would be greatly appreciated.
> Becky

Does he have a bandage or E-collar? You've gotta keep him from scratching
his ear- that alone can cause a hematoma. He also shouldn't shake his head
violently- because that causes sinusoidal waves in the ear that can also
fracture the cartilage. Other than putting their head in a vice- I have no
idea how to stop a cat from shaking his head. ;-)

I'll try to dig up an illustration of a hematoma repair, a little later so
you'll have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Best of luck,

Phil

Becky
October 23rd 05, 05:57 PM
Thanks so much for your reply Phil, you seem to really know what ya talking
about.
And thanks for your concern cybercat. Fawn is doing well today, he now seems
recovered from the trauma of surgery and being at the vets, though the ear
is very uncomfortable for him, but at least he seems to be sleeping and
resting alot.
Fawn does have an e-collar on ever since the first op 2weeks ago, gods that
was awful for him, took him about a week to get used to it, but hes
absolutely fine with it now, except he cant wash himself! (we wash him with
wet cotton wool and he likes that).
So he cannot scratch the ear at all. However, he does violently headshake
each time he gets up to walk about (how do they shake their head so fast!)
its like an obsessive reaction now, and i cant stop him from doing it, save
by feeding him to distract him or getting him to sleep. I understand that
this may have been what caused the second lump to appear (as well as sloppy
surgery, I think they did miss a stitch). I could send a piccies after each
surgery, tho its very gruesome.
The tubes do seem to run vertically from the base to the tip of the ear flap
and theres more tubes inside the ear than on top. They do seem to be for
drainange also, as theres a lot of clotted blood around them (should I be
cleaning it up?) It makes alot of sense to me to leave an open wound..so the
fluids can drain, then surely it cant build up again. However the vet told
me these ones arent so much for drainage, but more to apply pressure to the
cartilege. He has very big ears being a siamese, perhaps they need more
support.
Thank goodness the ear doesnt seem to have gotton any thicker these last
coupla days, but im worried that as it heals, the stitches seem to get
looser,whats to stop it from filling up again.
I will give the vet a call tommorow, but Im almost reluctant to take him
back, as they have told me the only repair for hematoma is surgery and I
cant do that again(why dont they have a medicinal treatment!)...but your
words have reassured me and hopefully this will fix it, if we can keep him
calm and minimise the headshhaking! Wonder if some form of sedative will
help him through the discomfort, he really is a fussy cat when he has a 'bee
in his bonnet' hes too much of a fighter to lie there and take it!
Thanks v.much for your help.
Becky

"Phil P." > wrote in message

> [...]
>

> Probably not.
>

> Surely it
> > cant recurr after 2 operations, i dont know what else they can do! I
cant
> > put him through surgery again!
> > Any advice/opinions/experiences would be greatly appreciated.
> > Becky
>

> Does he have a bandage or E-collar? You've gotta keep him from scratching
> his ear- that alone can cause a hematoma. He also shouldn't shake his
head
> violently- because that causes sinusoidal waves in the ear that can also
> fracture the cartilage. Other than putting their head in a vice- I have
no
> idea how to stop a cat from shaking his head. ;-)
>
> I'll try to dig up an illustration of a hematoma repair, a little later so
> you'll have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Karen
October 23rd 05, 08:01 PM
On 2005-10-23 11:57:55 -0500, "Becky" > said:

> calm and minimise the headshhaking!

Since he has an ecollar and can't lick it, isn't there perhaps some
topical treatment to help ease the pain? That would help with
headshaking.

Perry Justus
October 25th 05, 12:17 AM
Just an update...

Simon came home from the vet today and he's doing fine. His ear looks
like a little mangled, but I don't know what it will look like when
it's fully healed. Thanks to everyone here who kicked my butt and
told me what to do. :)

Perry

cybercat
October 25th 05, 04:20 AM
"Perry Justus" > wrote in message
> Just an update...
>
> Simon came home from the vet today and he's doing fine. His ear looks
> like a little mangled, but I don't know what it will look like when
> it's fully healed. Thanks to everyone here who kicked my butt and
> told me what to do. :)

Perry, I am so glad Simon is doing well. I knew you would take good
care of him. I appreciate your bringing these hematomas to my
attention, particularly the fact that they are appearing more and more
in cats. I will keep an eye on my furbabies.

Phil P.
October 25th 05, 05:19 AM
"Becky" > wrote in message
> Thanks so much for your reply Phil, you seem to really know what ya
talking
> about.

I've had to deal with enough of them. ;-(

> And thanks for your concern cybercat. Fawn is doing well today, he now
seems
> recovered from the trauma of surgery and being at the vets, though the ear
> is very uncomfortable for him, but at least he seems to be sleeping and
> resting alot.
> Fawn does have an e-collar on ever since the first op 2weeks ago, gods
that
> was awful for him, took him about a week to get used to it, but hes
> absolutely fine with it now, except he cant wash himself! (we wash him
with
> wet cotton wool and he likes that).

Cats adapt well to E-collars after a day or two.

> So he cannot scratch the ear at all. However, he does violently headshake
> each time he gets up to walk about (how do they shake their head so fast!)
> its like an obsessive reaction now, and i cant stop him from doing it,
save
> by feeding him to distract him or getting him to sleep. I understand that
> this may have been what caused the second lump to appear (as well as
sloppy
> surgery, I think they did miss a stitch).

Here's an illustration of what the procedure should look like; with and
without a drainage tube:

http://www.maxshouse.com/Illustrations/aural_hematoma_repair.jpg

I could send a piccies after each
> surgery, tho its very gruesome.
> The tubes do seem to run vertically from the base to the tip of the ear
flap
> and theres more tubes inside the ear than on top. They do seem to be for
> drainange also, as theres a lot of clotted blood around them (should I be
> cleaning it up?)

No. The clot forms a seal around the tube that acts like a barrier and keeps
debris out of the wound.

It makes alot of sense to me to leave an open wound..so the
> fluids can drain, then surely it cant build up again. However the vet told
> me these ones arent so much for drainage, but more to apply pressure to
the
> cartilege. He has very big ears being a siamese, perhaps they need more
> support.

I've seen hematomas repairs in large dogs that didn't need supports or
stents.

> Thank goodness the ear doesnt seem to have gotton any thicker these last
> coupla days, but im worried that as it heals, the stitches seem to get
> looser,whats to stop it from filling up again.

The cartilage itself as it heals.

> I will give the vet a call tommorow, but Im almost reluctant to take him
> back, as they have told me the only repair for hematoma is surgery and I
> cant do that again(why dont they have a medicinal treatment!)...

If the hematoma is small, sometimes they can be drained via a needle without
the need to make an incision. But if the hematoma is too large to resolve
on its own- its best to clean it out.

but your
> words have reassured me and hopefully this will fix it, if we can keep him
> calm and minimise the headshhaking! Wonder if some form of sedative will
> help him through the discomfort, he really is a fussy cat when he has a
'bee
> in his bonnet' hes too much of a fighter to lie there and take it!
> Thanks v.much for your help.
> Becky

I'm happy he's doing better- Thanks for the update.

Best of luck.

Phil

> [...]
> >

> > Surely it
> > > cant recurr after 2 operations, i dont know what else they can do! I
> cant
> > > put him through surgery again!
> > > Any advice/opinions/experiences would be greatly appreciated.
> > > Becky
> >

> > Does he have a bandage or E-collar? You've gotta keep him from
scratching
> > his ear- that alone can cause a hematoma. He also shouldn't shake his
> head
> > violently- because that causes sinusoidal waves in the ear that can also
> > fracture the cartilage. Other than putting their head in a vice- I have
> no
> > idea how to stop a cat from shaking his head. ;-)
> >
> > I'll try to dig up an illustration of a hematoma repair, a little later
so
> > you'll have an idea of what I'm talking about.

Phil P.
October 25th 05, 05:22 AM
"Perry Justus" > wrote in message
> Just an update...
>
> Simon came home from the vet today and he's doing fine. His ear looks
> like a little mangled, but I don't know what it will look like when
> it's fully healed. Thanks to everyone here who kicked my butt and
> told me what to do. :)

I think you already knew what to do- I just wanted to make sure you listened
to yourself.

I'm happy he's doing well, now.

Thanks for the update.

Phil

Becky
October 29th 05, 04:12 PM
Hiya
Just an update on my siamese cat Fawn, who developed an aural hematoma 3
weeks ago.
Yesterday we took him back to the vets to have his stitches out, which was
very quick, tho it took 3 ppl to hold the poor cat still! (he's so strong!)
The vet is very pleased with the final outcome and his ear looked fairly
normal (apart from being quite hairless and having lots of little red
'pinpricks' from where the stitches where!) The ear structure is very strong
and perky, I think when his hair grows back, any deformation will be
unnoticeable.
It seems that the thickness I'd noticed last week was a bit of an
illusion...with the tubes and clotted blood, and the nurses had also
indicated when i phoned them last monday, that some swelling was normal.
I can't tell you how much happier the Fawn is! :-D
He spent hours just washing himself last night and he has stopped the
sctratching and headshaking, he seems back to his normal, fine self :-)
Fingers crossed this will have fixed it, the vet seemed pretty confident
that it shouldnt recurr.
Thanks for your help whilst I was going through the worry of surgery.
Becky

"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "Perry Justus" > wrote in message
> > Just an update...
> >
> > Simon came home from the vet today and he's doing fine. His ear looks
> > like a little mangled, but I don't know what it will look like when
> > it's fully healed. Thanks to everyone here who kicked my butt and
> > told me what to do. :)
>

> I think you already knew what to do- I just wanted to make sure you
listened
> to yourself.
>
> I'm happy he's doing well, now.
>
> Thanks for the update.
>
> Phil

Becky
October 29th 05, 04:19 PM

"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "Perry Justus" > wrote in message
> > Just an update...
> >
> > Simon came home from the vet today and he's doing fine. His ear looks
> > like a little mangled, but I don't know what it will look like when
> > it's fully healed. Thanks to everyone here who kicked my butt and
> > told me what to do. :)
>

> I think you already knew what to do- I just wanted to make sure you
listened
> to yourself.
>
> I'm happy he's doing well, now.
>
> Thanks for the update.
>
> Phil

cybercat
October 29th 05, 06:12 PM
"Becky" > wrote in message
> Hiya
> Just an update on my siamese cat Fawn, who developed an aural hematoma 3
> weeks ago.
> Yesterday we took him back to the vets to have his stitches out, which was
> very quick, tho it took 3 ppl to hold the poor cat still! (he's so
strong!)

I didn't realize he was a Siamese. Do you have a photo page, I would love
to see him.

> The vet is very pleased with the final outcome and his ear looked fairly
> normal (apart from being quite hairless and having lots of little red
> 'pinpricks' from where the stitches where!) The ear structure is very
strong
> and perky, I think when his hair grows back, any deformation will be
> unnoticeable.
> It seems that the thickness I'd noticed last week was a bit of an
> illusion...with the tubes and clotted blood, and the nurses had also
> indicated when i phoned them last monday, that some swelling was normal.
> I can't tell you how much happier the Fawn is! :-D
> He spent hours just washing himself last night and he has stopped the
> sctratching and headshaking, he seems back to his normal, fine self :-)

Wonderful news for Fawn and you too! thanks for the update. Now you can
help those who are faced with this problem, so don't be a stranger.

Becky
November 1st 05, 08:38 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Becky" > wrote in message
> > Hiya
> > Just an update on my siamese cat Fawn, who developed an aural hematoma 3
> > weeks ago.
> > Yesterday we took him back to the vets to have his stitches out, which
was
> > very quick, tho it took 3 ppl to hold the poor cat still! (he's so
> strong!)
>
> I didn't realize he was a Siamese. Do you have a photo page, I would love
> to see him.
>

> > The vet is very pleased with the final outcome and his ear looked fairly
> > normal (apart from being quite hairless and having lots of little red
> > 'pinpricks' from where the stitches where!) The ear structure is very
> strong
> > and perky, I think when his hair grows back, any deformation will be
> > unnoticeable.
> > It seems that the thickness I'd noticed last week was a bit of an
> > illusion...with the tubes and clotted blood, and the nurses had also
> > indicated when i phoned them last monday, that some swelling was normal.
> > I can't tell you how much happier the Fawn is! :-D
> > He spent hours just washing himself last night and he has stopped the
> > sctratching and headshaking, he seems back to his normal, fine self :-)
>
> Wonderful news for Fawn and you too! thanks for the update. Now you can
> help those who are faced with this problem, so don't be a stranger.

Yes Fawn's a beautiful, characterful, noisy, affectionate seal-point siamese
:-)
I am the lucky guardian of two, Fawn-Lea & his niece Amber-Lea (1 yr old,
cute as a button)
If you can, check out the piccies on my msnspace ...also put a photo of his
'new' ear, which is looking a bit 'crinkly' now, after the op, but we dont
care, cos it feels great to him!
http://spaces.msn.com/members/blueforlu/

I certainly feel a lot more knowledgeable on this particular problem, and
would be glad to offer the same sort of reassuring help/advice to others
that you peeps showed me here :-)
Becky

cybercat
November 1st 05, 09:46 PM
"Becky" > wrote

> Yes Fawn's a beautiful, characterful, noisy, affectionate seal-point
siamese
> :-)
> I am the lucky guardian of two, Fawn-Lea & his niece Amber-Lea (1 yr old,
> cute as a button)
> If you can, check out the piccies on my msnspace ...also put a photo of
his
> 'new' ear, which is looking a bit 'crinkly' now, after the op, but we dont
> care, cos it feels great to him!

> http://spaces.msn.com/members/blueforlu/

Wow, what a beautiful pair! I especially like the one of them
curled up together. Your Fawn looks a lot like a slightly younger
version of KitKat's Jasper! (I also love that "Chinese Red" sofa!)

> I certainly feel a lot more knowledgeable on this particular problem, and
> would be glad to offer the same sort of reassuring help/advice to others
> that you peeps showed me here :-)

Thanks, you are a very nice addition to the group. His ear looks like
it is healing well and I know you are relieved to see it.

cybercat
November 1st 05, 09:46 PM
Have a look at Becky's "Fawn!" ;)

"Becky" > wrote

> Yes Fawn's a beautiful, characterful, noisy, affectionate seal-point
siamese
> :-)
> I am the lucky guardian of two, Fawn-Lea & his niece Amber-Lea (1 yr old,
> cute as a button)
> If you can, check out the piccies on my msnspace ...also put a photo of
his
> 'new' ear, which is looking a bit 'crinkly' now, after the op, but we dont
> care, cos it feels great to him!

> http://spaces.msn.com/members/blueforlu/

Phil P.
November 2nd 05, 12:41 AM
"Becky" > wrote in message

also put a photo of his
> 'new' ear, which is looking a bit 'crinkly' now, after the op, but we dont
> care, cos it feels great to him!
> http://spaces.msn.com/members/blueforlu/

That's gonna heal just fine- in a few months you'll never know he had a
hematoma! Based on your vet's technique, I was expecting a lot worse- but
the ear looks great for only a week or two after surgery! ;-)

> I certainly feel a lot more knowledgeable on this particular problem, and
> would be glad to offer the same sort of reassuring help/advice to others
> that you peeps showed me here :-)
> Becky

Experience is the best teacher. Why not make a webpage describing your
experience? It would surely help others whose cats have the same problem.

Best of luck,

Phil

Kitkat
November 2nd 05, 01:45 PM
cybercat wrote:
> Have a look at Becky's "Fawn!" ;)

OH.MEH.GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks like someone kidnapped DUDLEY!!!!!!!!!!!
Those pix are the BEST.

****, now i'ma be late for work!!!!!!!!!

:):):)

cybercat
November 2nd 05, 02:53 PM
"Kitkat" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
> > Have a look at Becky's "Fawn!" ;)
>
> OH.MEH.GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> It looks like someone kidnapped DUDLEY!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we need to speak with Becky about Fawn's
ancestry. :') That shiny little wedge-shaped head,
that lovely mocha-to-cream fur, that inscrutable
expression~~! They may be related! Though I
imagine Fawn meows with an English accent. :)

> Those pix are the BEST.
>
> ****, now i'ma be late for work!!!!!!!!!
>
> :):):)

Come back tonight and we will investigate this
matter further!!

Becky
November 2nd 05, 10:34 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Kitkat" > wrote in message
> > cybercat wrote:
> > > Have a look at Becky's "Fawn!" ;)
> >
> > OH.MEH.GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > It looks like someone kidnapped DUDLEY!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> I think we need to speak with Becky about Fawn's
> ancestry. :') That shiny little wedge-shaped head,
> that lovely mocha-to-cream fur, that inscrutable
> expression~~! They may be related! Though I
> imagine Fawn meows with an English accent. :)
>

> > Those pix are the BEST.
> >
> > ****, now i'ma be late for work!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > :):):)
>
> Come back tonight and we will investigate this
> matter further!!

:-D lols thanks. Love Siamese, theyre like bonsai panthers crossed with
lemur monkeys :-)
Do you have any piccies of Dudley? Would love to see the resemblance for
maself.
I think Fawn does have a distinguished, sometimes stern, proper English
accent, that would suit him. He really seems to talk sometimes, makes like a
chattery-meow, specially when he's eating, like hes commenting on the food!
Amber's voice is soo girly compared to his!... but tis all music to my ears
:-)
Becky

cybercat
November 2nd 05, 10:46 PM
"Becky" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message

> > > OH.MEH.GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!
> > >
> > > It looks like someone kidnapped DUDLEY!!!!!!!!!!!
> >

> :-D lols thanks. Love Siamese, theyre like bonsai panthers crossed with
> lemur monkeys :-)
> Do you have any piccies of Dudley?

Here is Kitkat's photo site:

http://public.fotki.com/kitkatluna/miscellaneous/jasper_dudley/

I think you will be amazed at the similarities!

Kitkat
November 3rd 05, 02:25 AM
Becky wrote:

> :-D lols thanks. Love Siamese, theyre like bonsai panthers crossed with
> lemur monkeys :-)
> Do you have any piccies of Dudley? Would love to see the resemblance for
> maself.
> I think Fawn does have a distinguished, sometimes stern, proper English
> accent, that would suit him. He really seems to talk sometimes, makes like a
> chattery-meow, specially when he's eating, like hes commenting on the food!
> Amber's voice is soo girly compared to his!... but tis all music to my ears
> :-)
> Becky

Holy crap. I just showed DH the pix and we both agree...YOU KIDNAPPED
DUDLEY! YOU TOOK PICTURES OF HIM AND PRETENDED THEY WERE YOUR CAT!!!!!

;-)

TOO FUNNY.

now I want a baby dudley!
pam

Becky
November 6th 05, 05:42 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Becky" > wrote in message

> > :-D lols thanks. Love Siamese, theyre like bonsai panthers crossed with
> > lemur monkeys :-)
> > Do you have any piccies of Dudley?
>

> Here is Kitkat's photo site:
>
> http://public.fotki.com/kitkatluna/miscellaneous/jasper_dudley/
>
> I think you will be amazed at the similarities!

Wow Jasper Dudley is a beauty :-)

The resemblance is just uncanny!!

His coat is soo silky looking...tho quite a bit darker than Fawn's...i'm
guessing he's older than the Fawn? Fawn started off as white as Amber & hes
getting darker each year...he's 7 now, I look forward to seeing him as dark
as Jasper, looks beautiful :-)

Becky

Kitkat
November 7th 05, 04:47 AM
Becky wrote:

> Wow Jasper Dudley is a beauty :-)
>
> The resemblance is just uncanny!!
>
> His coat is soo silky looking...tho quite a bit darker than Fawn's...i'm
> guessing he's older than the Fawn? Fawn started off as white as Amber & hes
> getting darker each year...he's 7 now, I look forward to seeing him as dark
> as Jasper, looks beautiful :-)
>
> Becky

He is pretty awesome. Thanks for checking him out!!!! :)
ANd yes, Dudley is older...he is either 13 or 14...we are not sure if he
was born in 1992 or was one year old in 1992. We have a picture of him
from his days with his previous owners and he was much lighter. Fawn
will certainly darken up with age!

I LOVED the pictures of your 2 kitties. Amber definitely looks like a
monkey in a few of those shots! I book marked it so I could look at them
again and again. Had to show DH. We are just astonished at how cute
they are and how much Fawn and Dudley look like long lost brothers!!!! :)

Pam