PDA

View Full Version : Jasmine again


meee
October 19th 05, 02:59 AM
Hi everyone, not a major problem just a question. Jasmine's had a little bit
of a dirty bum lately, I changed her litter and the new one's a bit powdery
so some seems to be sticking to her. Her feces have been fairly solid,
except for today, but I think that's because I was naughty and gave her some
milk yesterday. She is overdue worming by about one week, today is payday so
I rang the vet to check which one to give her, and she said the usual one's
fine, so I'm worming her today or tomorrow. Is she just unable to clean
herself because she's so big (pregnant) or should I be worried? And if I
need to clean her, how do I? She resents any handling asides from what she
wants, and is very ready with her claws at the moment...any ideas? Thanks in
advance.
--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway

cybercat
October 19th 05, 03:24 AM
"meee" > wrote in message
...
>
> Hi everyone, not a major problem just a question. Jasmine's had a little
> bit
> of a dirty bum lately, I changed her litter and the new one's a bit
> powdery
> so some seems to be sticking to her. Her feces have been fairly solid,
> except for today, but I think that's because I was naughty and gave her
> some
> milk yesterday. She is overdue worming by about one week, today is payday
> so
> I rang the vet to check which one to give her, and she said the usual
> one's
> fine, so I'm worming her today or tomorrow. Is she just unable to clean
> herself because she's so big (pregnant) or should I be worried? And if I
> need to clean her, how do I? She resents any handling asides from what she
> wants, and is very ready with her claws at the moment...any ideas? Thanks
> in
> advance.
> --

It is because you gave her milk. She is lactose intolerant. Don't do
that. Many cats have problems with cow's milk.

meee
October 19th 05, 03:33 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
...
>
> "meee" > wrote in message
> ...
> >
> > Hi everyone, not a major problem just a question. Jasmine's had a little
> > bit
> > of a dirty bum lately, I changed her litter and the new one's a bit
> > powdery
> > so some seems to be sticking to her. Her feces have been fairly solid,
> > except for today, but I think that's because I was naughty and gave her
> > some
> > milk yesterday. She is overdue worming by about one week, today is
payday
> > so
> > I rang the vet to check which one to give her, and she said the usual
> > one's
> > fine, so I'm worming her today or tomorrow. Is she just unable to clean
> > herself because she's so big (pregnant) or should I be worried? And if I
> > need to clean her, how do I? She resents any handling asides from what
she
> > wants, and is very ready with her claws at the moment...any ideas?
Thanks
> > in
> > advance.
> > --
>
> It is because you gave her milk. She is lactose intolerant. Don't do
> that. Many cats have problems with cow's milk.
>
>
silly me. I'll have to watch that with her, I might start keeping pet milk
in the fridge so I have something as a 'treat' when she begs.

Snittens
October 19th 05, 04:16 AM
"meee" > wrote
> silly me. I'll have to watch that with her, I might start keeping pet milk
> in the fridge so I have something as a 'treat' when she begs.
>
>

Since she is pregnant, you could give her some KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer) as
a treat instead of milk.

-Kelly

cybercat
October 19th 05, 01:21 PM
"Snittens" > wrote in message
...
>
> "meee" > wrote
>> silly me. I'll have to watch that with her, I might start keeping pet
>> milk
>> in the fridge so I have something as a 'treat' when she begs.
>>
>>
>
> Since she is pregnant, you could give her some KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer)
> as a treat instead of milk.
>

I was going to suggest that but could not remember the name of the stuff.

meee
October 20th 05, 02:43 AM
--


"Snittens" > wrote in message
...
>
> "meee" > wrote
> > silly me. I'll have to watch that with her, I might start keeping pet
milk
> > in the fridge so I have something as a 'treat' when she begs.
> >
> >
>
> Since she is pregnant, you could give her some KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer)
as
> a treat instead of milk.
>
> -Kelly
>
>
Sounds good, one problem...is it available in australia? we have something
called 'petlife pet milk' lactose free with added whatsit, and whiskas
kitten milk....sound similar, or is it a totally different product??

meee
October 20th 05, 02:45 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
...
>
> "Snittens" > wrote in message
> ...
> >
> > "meee" > wrote
> >> silly me. I'll have to watch that with her, I might start keeping pet
> >> milk
> >> in the fridge so I have something as a 'treat' when she begs.
> >>
> >>
> >
> > Since she is pregnant, you could give her some KMR (Kitten Milk
Replacer)
> > as a treat instead of milk.
> >
>
> I was going to suggest that but could not remember the name of the stuff.
>
>
she has seemed a lot happier a few days after replacing tinned with dried
food as phil said...maybe it fills her up for longer or something. I think
she also likes it better so eats more...i noticed with the dry that if she
disliked the flavour, she wouldn't eat as much of it as the flavour she
liked.

cybercat
October 20th 05, 02:50 AM
"meee" > wrote in message
...
>


>>
> she has seemed a lot happier a few days after replacing tinned with dried
> food as phil said...maybe it fills her up for longer or something. I think
> she also likes it better so eats more...i noticed with the dry that if she
> disliked the flavour, she wouldn't eat as much of it as the flavour she
> liked.
>
>

Do you mean that you replaced dry with tinned?

In any case I'm glad she seems happier, that's always
a great feeling.

For an experiment, try eating a bagel one morning
for breakfast, and scrambled eggs the next. You should
note that you are much hungrier by lunch time on the bagel
day.

meee
October 20th 05, 03:17 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
...
>
> "meee" > wrote in message
> ...
> >
>
>
> >>
> > she has seemed a lot happier a few days after replacing tinned with
dried
> > food as phil said...maybe it fills her up for longer or something. I
think
> > she also likes it better so eats more...i noticed with the dry that if
she
> > disliked the flavour, she wouldn't eat as much of it as the flavour she
> > liked.
> >
> >
>
> Do you mean that you replaced dry with tinned?
>
> In any case I'm glad she seems happier, that's always
> a great feeling.
>
> For an experiment, try eating a bagel one morning
> for breakfast, and scrambled eggs the next. You should
> note that you are much hungrier by lunch time on the bagel
> day.
>
>
Yes :^) I'd been giving her dried, believing it was better for her teeth.
Now I have switched to tinned, what should I do to keep her teeth in good
nick? and which tinned foods are better? I haven't got heaps of cash to
throw around, but I don't want her eating crap either. I am going to try and
find a bulk outlet, maybe a pet store or vets, and see if I can buy more
expensive brands a bit cheaper.

Snittens
October 20th 05, 06:22 AM
"meee" > wrote
>>
> Sounds good, one problem...is it available in australia? we have something
> called 'petlife pet milk' lactose free with added whatsit, and whiskas
> kitten milk....sound similar, or is it a totally different product??
>
>

It's different than that. Basically, it's the equivalent of infant formula
for human babies but made for kittens. This is what it is:
http://tinyurl.com/86qk5
You should have it in Aus, if you have stores that are like Petsmart,
Walmart, etc, or a feed store.

-Kelly

October 20th 05, 07:11 AM
meee wrote:
> --
> "Snittens" > wrote in message
> ...
> >
> > "meee" > wrote
> > > silly me. I'll have to watch that with her, I might start keeping pet
> milk
> > > in the fridge so I have something as a 'treat' when she begs.
> > Since she is pregnant, you could give her some KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer)
> as
> > a treat instead of milk.
> >
> > -Kelly
> Sounds good, one problem...is it available in australia? we have something
> called 'petlife pet milk' lactose free with added whatsit, and whiskas
> kitten milk....sound similar, or is it a totally different product??

Hi,
Those are both fine but kitten milk replacer would be better as she is
pregnant. The 3 brands I am familiar with are: Wombaroo kitten milk
replacer (available at vets, pet supply shops and online at
www.healthy-bird.com; cheapest at healthy-bird and vets, less so at
pet supply shops), Di-Vetelact (available at pet supply places and
vets) and Biolac for kittens (they have a website www.biolac.com.au).
If your girl is pregnant and you want to keep something around that you
could also feed the kittens with if she has any milk problems or they
need top-ups, I'd recommend the Wombaroo or the Biolac. Apparently
Di-Vetelact, which is not specifically cat formulated, can cause the
runs in kittens. Biolac also make a "food supplement" that is good for
putting weight on cats and dogs...

NB: I'm not affiliated with any of these companies, just letting you
know what has worked for me!

Cheers,
Catherine (in Australia too)

Juls
October 22nd 05, 06:58 PM
In article >, "meee"
> wrote:

> Now I have switched to tinned, what should I do to keep her teeth in good
> nick? and which tinned foods are better?

I don't know what brands you've got in Australia, but Wellness is very
good. For the teeth, you can actually buy a little toothbrush and paste
kit, if you can manage to brush her teeth on occasion. Otherwise, there
are kitty treats that say for tartar control. I don't know how much is
valid and how much is marketing, but the cats love them. I've recently
been buying Feline Greenies, which are supposed to be very good for
their teeth, plus somewhat organic (whatever that means). The cats love
them, but they're expensive. $4.99 for a little bag. The same size bag
in other brands like Whisker Lickins and Temptations is about 1.50 to
2.00. No idea if they're worth it, other than both cats go bananas for
the greenies.

--
To email (remove annoying hyphens)

j-u-l-i
at
e-c-t-dot-o-r-g

meee
October 25th 05, 11:22 AM
"Snittens" > wrote in message
...
>
> "meee" > wrote
> >>
> > Sounds good, one problem...is it available in australia? we have
something
> > called 'petlife pet milk' lactose free with added whatsit, and whiskas
> > kitten milk....sound similar, or is it a totally different product??
> >
> >
>
> It's different than that. Basically, it's the equivalent of infant
formula
> for human babies but made for kittens. This is what it is:
> http://tinyurl.com/86qk5
> You should have it in Aus, if you have stores that are like Petsmart,
> Walmart, etc, or a feed store.
>
> -Kelly
>
>
>
I'll look. We have Big W, owned by Woolworths, Kmart owned by colesmyer I
think....The only pet smart type thing we have is a chain store pet shop
that is kinda dodgy. Can you give me the name again, and the company that
makes it? I might see if I can hunt it down? Jasmine is doing really well,
she's due any day now, so I'm keeping a close eye on her...I'll let everyone
know. I followed Phil's advice on the food, I'm giving her a mixture of
kitten dry and adult wet now, it seems to be working. The only kitten food
I've found in my supermarket and Kmart are teensy packets of whiskas kitten
food at 1.75 per packet, each packet wouldn't even make up a meal for Jas
right now, so i'm looking for an outlet of some kind. I've found a good vet
now, so I might give them a ring tomorrow. She's looking pretty good, I
can't feel her ribs or backbone or anything, so I think she's doing well.
I'm not sure whether whiskas brand is the same in us and australia, i know
it's not the best, but it's been working well for me so far.

meee
October 25th 05, 11:27 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> meee wrote:
> > --
> > "Snittens" > wrote in message
> > ...
> > >
> > > "meee" > wrote
> > > > silly me. I'll have to watch that with her, I might start keeping
pet
> > milk
> > > > in the fridge so I have something as a 'treat' when she begs.
> > > Since she is pregnant, you could give her some KMR (Kitten Milk
Replacer)
> > as
> > > a treat instead of milk.
> > >
> > > -Kelly
> > Sounds good, one problem...is it available in australia? we have
something
> > called 'petlife pet milk' lactose free with added whatsit, and whiskas
> > kitten milk....sound similar, or is it a totally different product??
>
> Hi,
> Those are both fine but kitten milk replacer would be better as she is
> pregnant. The 3 brands I am familiar with are: Wombaroo kitten milk
> replacer (available at vets, pet supply shops and online at
> www.healthy-bird.com; cheapest at healthy-bird and vets, less so at
> pet supply shops), Di-Vetelact (available at pet supply places and
> vets) and Biolac for kittens (they have a website www.biolac.com.au).
> If your girl is pregnant and you want to keep something around that you
> could also feed the kittens with if she has any milk problems or they
> need top-ups, I'd recommend the Wombaroo or the Biolac. Apparently
> Di-Vetelact, which is not specifically cat formulated, can cause the
> runs in kittens. Biolac also make a "food supplement" that is good for
> putting weight on cats and dogs...
>
> NB: I'm not affiliated with any of these companies, just letting you
> know what has worked for me!
>
> Cheers,
> Catherine (in Australia too)
>
Thanks for that, that's really good to know. So far she's doing really well,
she doesn't seem to have lost any weight, and she's due any day. I'm not
sure if she's had kittens before or not as she's an ex-stray, so we'll see
how she goes. thanks again for that, I have to call the vet regarding a good
kitten food, so I'll add that to my list. One of the good points about
moving to the city is having a good 24 hour vet around the corner

meee
October 25th 05, 11:29 AM
"Juls" > wrote in message
...
> In article >, "meee"
> > wrote:
>
> > Now I have switched to tinned, what should I do to keep her teeth in
good
> > nick? and which tinned foods are better?
>
> I don't know what brands you've got in Australia, but Wellness is very
> good. For the teeth, you can actually buy a little toothbrush and paste
> kit, if you can manage to brush her teeth on occasion. Otherwise, there
> are kitty treats that say for tartar control. I don't know how much is
> valid and how much is marketing, but the cats love them. I've recently
> been buying Feline Greenies, which are supposed to be very good for
> their teeth, plus somewhat organic (whatever that means). The cats love
> them, but they're expensive. $4.99 for a little bag. The same size bag
> in other brands like Whisker Lickins and Temptations is about 1.50 to
> 2.00. No idea if they're worth it, other than both cats go bananas for
> the greenies.
>
> --
> To email (remove annoying hyphens)
>
> j-u-l-i
> at
> e-c-t-dot-o-r-g

Thanks for that...I'm still giving her dry food for in between snacks, and I
haven't heard of any of these products, we have whiskas dentabites I think,
probably the same thing, just named differently...go figure.