PDA

View Full Version : Mast Cell Tumor

Shellyfish
October 19th 05, 07:03 AM
My cat Sasha had a bump removed from the top of her head last week and
today the vet called and reported that the bump was a mast cell tumor.
He said that these tumors tend to be much more serious in dogs than in
cats, but there is a chance that the tumor could return. He said that
should that happen he would again remove the tumor and take more of the
surrounding tissue, and if it recurs again, then radiation treatment
might be necessary.

Obviously I am hoping that we are one and done with this, but I am
wondering if there is anything else I should know or be on the lookout
for regarding these tumors.

Thanks!

Paul M. Cook
October 19th 05, 08:18 AM
"Shellyfish" > wrote in message
> My cat Sasha had a bump removed from the top of her head last week and
> today the vet called and reported that the bump was a mast cell tumor.
> He said that these tumors tend to be much more serious in dogs than in
> cats, but there is a chance that the tumor could return. He said that
> should that happen he would again remove the tumor and take more of the
> surrounding tissue, and if it recurs again, then radiation treatment
> might be necessary.
>
> Obviously I am hoping that we are one and done with this, but I am
> wondering if there is anything else I should know or be on the lookout
> for regarding these tumors.

My cat Buddy had a mast cell tumor removed in 2002. It has shown no sign of
returning. I was told that the surgery is considered a cure as recurrence
is very rare.

Paul

Spot
October 19th 05, 11:30 PM
Your best defense against the tumors is to give your cat a massage nightly
and if you find any type of bump then to have the vet do a biopsy
immediately. The sooner these are removed the better chances of survival.
These usually first appear in the skin area and if removed immediately then
the chance that it gets into deep tissue is cut drastically.

Celeste