PDA

View Full Version : Successfully introducing 3 adult male cats?

J King
October 20th 05, 10:14 PM
Hi

I have 5 inside cats. Several months ago, a big male cat moved into my barn
with my horses. I have had him neutred and vaccinated. I put him up for
adoption on a local website for a humane society but so far no luck. I love
having him in my barn but when the winter sets in and gets cold I'm going to
have problems leaving him out there. And he already follows me to the house
and tries to get in! Has anyone ever introduced adult male cats
successfully? Any advice? I'm very nervous about it. My male neutred
Siamese began spraying when I brought in a male kitten about 12 years ago!
He only stopped this about a year ago. I really don't want him to begin
again.

Thanks

Joanne

Joe Canuck
October 20th 05, 10:54 PM
J King wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have 5 inside cats. Several months ago, a big male cat moved into my barn
> with my horses. I have had him neutred and vaccinated. I put him up for
> adoption on a local website for a humane society but so far no luck. I love
> having him in my barn but when the winter sets in and gets cold I'm going to
> have problems leaving him out there. And he already follows me to the house
> and tries to get in! Has anyone ever introduced adult male cats
> successfully? Any advice? I'm very nervous about it. My male neutred
> Siamese began spraying when I brought in a male kitten about 12 years ago!
> He only stopped this about a year ago. I really don't want him to begin
> again.
>
> Thanks
>
> Joanne

You may risk that again, particulary if that cat was spray for 11 years
after the original introduction.

First, determine if that is a risk you are willing to gamble on.

No introduction method is foolproof.

Gail
October 21st 05, 12:27 AM
The best way to integrate him is to provide him with a room of his own with
litter box, food, water, and a bed. Gradually over many weeks, expose him to
the others in the house. Mary L on this site set up a screen door so the
cats can see each other but not able to touch. She did this for many, many
weeks until no cats were hissing at each other. She also advised using a
Feliway dispenser to help calm them. I have integrated many cats and this
very slow approach has worked. The only cat I was not able to integrate was
a male, neutered neighbor's cat who sprayed inside my house and was
aggressive with my other cats (he was neglected by the neighbors and adopted
us). I resolved this conflict by keeping him in our garage (heated) with his
bed, food, water, and a litter box. He has a cat flap to go outside. You are
wonderful to care for this boy!! Even if you are not able to integrate him
or have him adopted, you can provide a warm shelter in the barn ( a closed
box with hay and a doorway cut into it) and provide him with good food and
water. You can use a Snuggle Safe Pad in his bed to keep him warm. It is not
the best scenario, but much, much better than being a stray.
Gail
"J King" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have 5 inside cats. Several months ago, a big male cat moved into my
> barn with my horses. I have had him neutred and vaccinated. I put him up
> for adoption on a local website for a humane society but so far no luck.
> I love having him in my barn but when the winter sets in and gets cold I'm
> going to have problems leaving him out there. And he already follows me
> to the house and tries to get in! Has anyone ever introduced adult male
> cats successfully? Any advice? I'm very nervous about it. My male
> neutred Siamese began spraying when I brought in a male kitten about 12
> years ago! He only stopped this about a year ago. I really don't want him
> to begin again.
>
> Thanks
>
> Joanne

J King
October 21st 05, 01:13 AM
Thank you Gail. That's pretty much how I introduced the last stray that I
took in...but she is female. Unfortunately I have no access to Feliway.
I'm in Canada. What is a snuggle safe pad??? Would it be safe in the barn.
My biggest fear is a barn fire! He's quite happy in the barn....as long as
I'm there. We've become very attached to each other.

Joanne

"Gail" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> The best way to integrate him is to provide him with a room of his own
> with litter box, food, water, and a bed. Gradually over many weeks, expose
> him to the others in the house. Mary L on this site set up a screen door
> so the cats can see each other but not able to touch. She did this for
> many, many weeks until no cats were hissing at each other. She also
> advised using a Feliway dispenser to help calm them. I have integrated
> many cats and this very slow approach has worked. The only cat I was not
> able to integrate was a male, neutered neighbor's cat who sprayed inside
> my house and was aggressive with my other cats (he was neglected by the
> neighbors and adopted us). I resolved this conflict by keeping him in our
> garage (heated) with his bed, food, water, and a litter box. He has a cat
> flap to go outside. You are wonderful to care for this boy!! Even if you
> are not able to integrate him or have him adopted, you can provide a warm
> shelter in the barn ( a closed box with hay and a doorway cut into it) and
> provide him with good food and water. You can use a Snuggle Safe Pad in
> his bed to keep him warm. It is not the best scenario, but much, much
> better than being a stray.
> Gail
> "J King" > wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I have 5 inside cats. Several months ago, a big male cat moved into my
>> barn with my horses. I have had him neutred and vaccinated. I put him
>> up for adoption on a local website for a humane society but so far no
>> luck. I love having him in my barn but when the winter sets in and gets
>> cold I'm going to have problems leaving him out there. And he already
>> follows me to the house and tries to get in! Has anyone ever introduced
>> adult male cats successfully? Any advice? I'm very nervous about it.
>> My male neutred Siamese began spraying when I brought in a male kitten
>> about 12 years ago! He only stopped this about a year ago. I really
>> don't want him to begin again.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Joanne

Karen
October 21st 05, 01:58 AM
On 2005-10-20 19:13:42 -0500, "J King" > said:

> Thank you Gail. That's pretty much how I introduced the last stray
> that I took in...but she is female. Unfortunately I have no access to
> Feliway. I'm in Canada. What is a snuggle safe pad??? Would it be
> safe in the barn. My biggest fear is a barn fire! He's quite happy in
> the barn....as long as I'm there. We've become very attached to each
> other.
>
> Joanne

Snuggle safe is a plastic disc you put in the microwave and heat for 5
min. My vet has them and you can get them on line. Just google Snuggle
Safe. It distributes heat for about 12 hours. It should be perfectly
safe in the barn. But if he wants to come in, I'd definitely try
integrating.

Gail
October 21st 05, 03:09 AM
It is a plastic frisbee shaped disk that you microwave and place in a cat's
bed. It must be wrapped in a towel of a blanket and it is not flammable.
Here it is on the internet:
http://shop.petsmart.com/product/2534374302023689/282574488339066/845524441776038.htm
Gail
"J King" > wrote in message
> Thank you Gail. That's pretty much how I introduced the last stray that I
> took in...but she is female. Unfortunately I have no access to Feliway.
> I'm in Canada. What is a snuggle safe pad??? Would it be safe in the
> barn. My biggest fear is a barn fire! He's quite happy in the barn....as
> long as I'm there. We've become very attached to each other.
>
> Joanne
>

> "Gail" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> The best way to integrate him is to provide him with a room of his own
>> with litter box, food, water, and a bed. Gradually over many weeks,
>> expose him to the others in the house. Mary L on this site set up a
>> screen door so the cats can see each other but not able to touch. She did
>> this for many, many weeks until no cats were hissing at each other. She
>> also advised using a Feliway dispenser to help calm them. I have
>> integrated many cats and this very slow approach has worked. The only cat
>> I was not able to integrate was a male, neutered neighbor's cat who
>> sprayed inside my house and was aggressive with my other cats (he was
>> neglected by the neighbors and adopted us). I resolved this conflict by
>> keeping him in our garage (heated) with his bed, food, water, and a
>> litter box. He has a cat flap to go outside. You are wonderful to care
>> for this boy!! Even if you are not able to integrate him or have him
>> adopted, you can provide a warm shelter in the barn ( a closed box with
>> hay and a doorway cut into it) and provide him with good food and water.
>> You can use a Snuggle Safe Pad in his bed to keep him warm. It is not the
>> best scenario, but much, much better than being a stray.
>> Gail
>> "J King" > wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have 5 inside cats. Several months ago, a big male cat moved into my
>>> barn with my horses. I have had him neutred and vaccinated. I put him
>>> up for adoption on a local website for a humane society but so far no
>>> luck. I love having him in my barn but when the winter sets in and gets
>>> cold I'm going to have problems leaving him out there. And he already
>>> follows me to the house and tries to get in! Has anyone ever introduced
>>> adult male cats successfully? Any advice? I'm very nervous about it.
>>> My male neutred Siamese began spraying when I brought in a male kitten
>>> about 12 years ago! He only stopped this about a year ago. I really
>>> don't want him to begin again.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Joanne

Phil P.
October 21st 05, 06:45 AM
"J King" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have 5 inside cats. Several months ago, a big male cat moved into my
barn
> with my horses. I have had him neutred and vaccinated. I put him up for
> adoption on a local website for a humane society but so far no luck. I
love
> having him in my barn but when the winter sets in and gets cold I'm going
> have problems leaving him out there. And he already follows me to the
house
> and tries to get in! Has anyone ever introduced adult male cats
> successfully? Any advice? I'm very nervous about it. My male neutred
> Siamese began spraying when I brought in a male kitten about 12 years ago!
> He only stopped this about a year ago. I really don't want him to begin
> again.
>
> Thanks

http://www.maxshouse.com/introducing_cats.htm

Wendy
October 21st 05, 11:51 AM
You can get Feliway Comfort Zone online.
http://nationalpetsupply.com/feliway.htm
http://www.carealotpets.com/listItems.asp?displayType=Across&Search=AdSearch&ImgFlg=TRUE&menFrm=True
http://www.biovets.com/scart/public/scart/dynamic.php?uid=2&action=search&searchby1=keywords&searchby_keywords=Feliway
I'm sure a search for Feliway will come up with more places where it is
available.

"J King" > wrote in message
> Thank you Gail. That's pretty much how I introduced the last stray that I
> took in...but she is female. Unfortunately I have no access to Feliway.
> I'm in Canada. What is a snuggle safe pad??? Would it be safe in the
> barn. My biggest fear is a barn fire! He's quite happy in the barn....as
> long as I'm there. We've become very attached to each other.
>
> Joanne
>

> "Gail" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> The best way to integrate him is to provide him with a room of his own
>> with litter box, food, water, and a bed. Gradually over many weeks,
>> expose him to the others in the house. Mary L on this site set up a
>> screen door so the cats can see each other but not able to touch. She did
>> this for many, many weeks until no cats were hissing at each other. She
>> also advised using a Feliway dispenser to help calm them. I have
>> integrated many cats and this very slow approach has worked. The only cat
>> I was not able to integrate was a male, neutered neighbor's cat who
>> sprayed inside my house and was aggressive with my other cats (he was
>> neglected by the neighbors and adopted us). I resolved this conflict by
>> keeping him in our garage (heated) with his bed, food, water, and a
>> litter box. He has a cat flap to go outside. You are wonderful to care
>> for this boy!! Even if you are not able to integrate him or have him
>> adopted, you can provide a warm shelter in the barn ( a closed box with
>> hay and a doorway cut into it) and provide him with good food and water.
>> You can use a Snuggle Safe Pad in his bed to keep him warm. It is not the
>> best scenario, but much, much better than being a stray.
>> Gail
>> "J King" > wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have 5 inside cats. Several months ago, a big male cat moved into my
>>> barn with my horses. I have had him neutred and vaccinated. I put him
>>> up for adoption on a local website for a humane society but so far no
>>> luck. I love having him in my barn but when the winter sets in and gets
>>> cold I'm going to have problems leaving him out there. And he already
>>> follows me to the house and tries to get in! Has anyone ever introduced
>>> adult male cats successfully? Any advice? I'm very nervous about it.
>>> My male neutred Siamese began spraying when I brought in a male kitten
>>> about 12 years ago! He only stopped this about a year ago. I really
>>> don't want him to begin again.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Joanne

J King
October 21st 05, 08:00 PM
This might be the answer! I'm going to try to get 1 or 2 of them. If that
doesn't work then I'll try integration. Thanks!

> Snuggle safe is a plastic disc you put in the microwave and heat for 5
> min. My vet has them and you can get them on line. Just google Snuggle
> Safe. It distributes heat for about 12 hours. It should be perfectly safe
> in the barn. But if he wants to come in, I'd definitely try integrating.

J King
October 21st 05, 08:00 PM
Thanks...this looks great!

"Gail" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> It is a plastic frisbee shaped disk that you microwave and place in a
> cat's bed. It must be wrapped in a towel of a blanket and it is not
> flammable. Here it is on the internet:
> http://shop.petsmart.com/product/2534374302023689/282574488339066/845524441776038.htm
> Gail
> "J King" > wrote in message
>> Thank you Gail. That's pretty much how I introduced the last stray that
>> I took in...but she is female. Unfortunately I have no access to
>> Feliway. I'm in Canada. What is a snuggle safe pad??? Would it be safe
>> in the barn. My biggest fear is a barn fire! He's quite happy in the
>> barn....as long as I'm there. We've become very attached to each other.
>>
>> Joanne
>>

>> "Gail" > wrote in message
>> ink.net...
>>> The best way to integrate him is to provide him with a room of his own
>>> with litter box, food, water, and a bed. Gradually over many weeks,
>>> expose him to the others in the house. Mary L on this site set up a
>>> screen door so the cats can see each other but not able to touch. She
>>> did this for many, many weeks until no cats were hissing at each other.
>>> She also advised using a Feliway dispenser to help calm them. I have
>>> integrated many cats and this very slow approach has worked. The only
>>> cat I was not able to integrate was a male, neutered neighbor's cat who
>>> sprayed inside my house and was aggressive with my other cats (he was
>>> neglected by the neighbors and adopted us). I resolved this conflict by
>>> keeping him in our garage (heated) with his bed, food, water, and a
>>> litter box. He has a cat flap to go outside. You are wonderful to care
>>> for this boy!! Even if you are not able to integrate him or have him
>>> adopted, you can provide a warm shelter in the barn ( a closed box with
>>> hay and a doorway cut into it) and provide him with good food and water.
>>> You can use a Snuggle Safe Pad in his bed to keep him warm. It is not
>>> the best scenario, but much, much better than being a stray.
>>> Gail

J King
October 21st 05, 08:02 PM
Thanks...it looks like it is more widely distributed now. I looked into it
several years ago and couldn't find it.

Joanne

"Wendy" > wrote in message
> You can get Feliway Comfort Zone online.
> http://nationalpetsupply.com/feliway.htm
> http://www.carealotpets.com/listItems.asp?displayType=Across&Search=AdSearch&ImgFlg=TRUE&menFrm=True
> http://www.biovets.com/scart/public/scart/dynamic.php?uid=2&action=search&searchby1=keywords&searchby_keywords=Feliway
> I'm sure a search for Feliway will come up with more places where it is
> available.
>

> "J King" > wrote in message
>> Thank you Gail. That's pretty much how I introduced the last stray that
>> I took in...but she is female. Unfortunately I have no access to
>> Feliway. I'm in Canada. What is a snuggle safe pad??? Would it be safe
>> in the barn. My biggest fear is a barn fire! He's quite happy in the
>> barn....as long as I'm there. We've become very attached to each other.
>>
>> Joanne
>>

>> "Gail" > wrote in message
>> ink.net...
>>> The best way to integrate him is to provide him with a room of his own
>>> with litter box, food, water, and a bed. Gradually over many weeks,
>>> expose him to the others in the house. Mary L on this site set up a
>>> screen door so the cats can see each other but not able to touch. She
>>> did this for many, many weeks until no cats were hissing at each other.
>>> She also advised using a Feliway dispenser to help calm them. I have
>>> integrated many cats and this very slow approach has worked. The only
>>> cat I was not able to integrate was a male, neutered neighbor's cat who
>>> sprayed inside my house and was aggressive with my other cats (he was
>>> neglected by the neighbors and adopted us). I resolved this conflict by
>>> keeping him in our garage (heated) with his bed, food, water, and a
>>> litter box. He has a cat flap to go outside. You are wonderful to care
>>> for this boy!! Even if you are not able to integrate him or have him
>>> adopted, you can provide a warm shelter in the barn ( a closed box with
>>> hay and a doorway cut into it) and provide him with good food and water.
>>> You can use a Snuggle Safe Pad in his bed to keep him warm. It is not
>>> the best scenario, but much, much better than being a stray.
>>> Gail

J King
October 21st 05, 08:03 PM
I've saved the website...thanks!

"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "J King" > wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I have 5 inside cats. Several months ago, a big male cat moved into my
> barn
>> with my horses. I have had him neutred and vaccinated. I put him up for
>> adoption on a local website for a humane society but so far no luck. I
> love
>> having him in my barn but when the winter sets in and gets cold I'm going
>> have problems leaving him out there. And he already follows me to the
> house
>> and tries to get in! Has anyone ever introduced adult male cats
>> successfully? Any advice? I'm very nervous about it. My male neutred
>> Siamese began spraying when I brought in a male kitten about 12 years
>> ago!
>> He only stopped this about a year ago. I really don't want him to begin
>> again.
>>
>> Thanks
>

> http://www.maxshouse.com/introducing_cats.htm

Fuga :o\)
October 22nd 05, 04:00 PM
Joanne,

You can get the Feliway Diffuser in Canada. Veterinarians office carry it
or can order it one for you. As well Petsmart stores in Canada carry it.

fuga