PDA

View Full Version : How to discourage her from bringing dead birds?

Kiran
October 21st 05, 12:20 AM
Once again, I found a dead bird at my doorstep. How to discourage my
cat from doing this? Thanks.

cybercat
October 21st 05, 12:31 AM
"Kiran" > wrote in message
> Once again, I found a dead bird at my doorstep. How to discourage my
> cat from doing this? Thanks.

What do you think the answer is?

Keep her in or at least put a bell on her collar.

Ivor Jones
October 21st 05, 12:32 AM
"Kiran" > wrote in message

> Once again, I found a dead bird at my doorstep. How to
> discourage my cat from doing this? Thanks.

You can't..! Your cat is being a cat, this is what cats do.

Ivor

Gail
October 21st 05, 12:41 AM
You can't stop nor discourage her. I don't trust collars on cats and even if
you put a bell on her, it would not stop her. The only way is to keep her
inside.
Gail
"Kiran" > wrote in message
> Once again, I found a dead bird at my doorstep. How to discourage my
> cat from doing this? Thanks.

No More Retail
October 21st 05, 12:54 AM
She is bringing you a gift it might be the wrong type of gift but it is
actually a honor for them to do this

shortfuse
October 21st 05, 12:56 AM
Cats are only following their natural instincts...my outdoor cats (many
moons ago) did this and my folks (in which I lived with at the time) had
fits,,but yet here we are eating birds of different species and it's okay
for us...
Thats why I leave my cats indoors or take them out with me holding them or
in their pet stroller.

--

"Gail" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> You can't stop nor discourage her. I don't trust collars on cats and even
> if you put a bell on her, it would not stop her. The only way is to keep
> her inside.
> Gail
> "Kiran" > wrote in message
>> Once again, I found a dead bird at my doorstep. How to discourage my
>> cat from doing this? Thanks.

No More Retail
October 21st 05, 01:00 AM
Pet stroller I thought I spoiled my cats

shortfuse
October 21st 05, 01:07 AM
Yep...Ornery's doesnt mind it too much...it beats having to hold the other
cats who are almost as big as me ;-)

--

"No More Retail" > wrote in message
.. .
> Pet stroller I thought I spoiled my cats

Joe Canuck
October 21st 05, 01:51 AM
Kiran wrote:

> Once again, I found a dead bird at my doorstep. How to discourage my
> cat from doing this? Thanks.

You have two options:

1) Keep your cat inside, which really is better for their health. I'm
certain there will be arguments over that one.

2) Collar with a bell that gives the birds some fair warning of
impending doom.

Ramboyd
October 21st 05, 01:58 AM
Joe Canuck wrote:

> Kiran wrote:
>
> > Once again, I found a dead bird at my doorstep. How to discourage my
> > cat from doing this? Thanks.
>
> You have two options:
>
> 1) Keep your cat inside, which really is better for their health. I'm
> certain there will be arguments over that one.
>
> 2) Collar with a bell that gives the birds some fair warning of
> impending doom.

Or

3) Introduce the cat to a gaggle of Canada geese. The cat will never touch
another bird again.

Ramboyd

======

"My Ottawa Includes Corruption"

Cathy Kearns
October 21st 05, 02:50 AM
> You can't..! Your cat is being a cat, this is what cats do.

One of my favorite engagement stories happened to one of our tennis ladies.
Her sweetheart very carefully wrapped an engagement ring in a box with a big
bow and set it on the pillow of her bed, next to her cat, so she would see
it when she changed after coming home from work. Well, she walked in the
bedroom and he heard her scream, which he at first thought was a surprised
happy scream, but then she kept screaming, and he runs to the bedroom to see
what the problem was. Very neatly, on the pillow, next to the box with the
ribbon, was a dead bird. It seems her cat was not about to be out done when
it came to giving presents.

Karen
October 21st 05, 03:16 AM
On 2005-10-20 20:50:56 -0500, "Cathy Kearns" > said:

>> You can't..! Your cat is being a cat, this is what cats do.
>
> One of my favorite engagement stories happened to one of our tennis ladies.
> Her sweetheart very carefully wrapped an engagement ring in a box with a big
> bow and set it on the pillow of her bed, next to her cat, so she would see
> it when she changed after coming home from work. Well, she walked in the
> bedroom and he heard her scream, which he at first thought was a surprised
> happy scream, but then she kept screaming, and he runs to the bedroom to see
> what the problem was. Very neatly, on the pillow, next to the box with the
> ribbon, was a dead bird. It seems her cat was not about to be out done when
> it came to giving presents.

ROTFLMAO!!! Oh my that is great!

cybercat
October 21st 05, 03:23 AM
"Cathy Kearns" > wrote in message
om...

>> You can't..! Your cat is being a cat, this is what cats do.
>
> One of my favorite engagement stories happened to one of our tennis
> ladies.
> Her sweetheart very carefully wrapped an engagement ring in a box with a
> big
> bow and set it on the pillow of her bed, next to her cat, so she would see
> it when she changed after coming home from work. Well, she walked in the
> bedroom and he heard her scream, which he at first thought was a surprised
> happy scream, but then she kept screaming, and he runs to the bedroom to
> see
> what the problem was. Very neatly, on the pillow, next to the box with
> the
> ribbon, was a dead bird. It seems her cat was not about to be out done
> when
> it came to giving presents.

lol! That is a great story.

~*Connie*~
October 21st 05, 03:28 AM
this is your cats way of saying that he loves you. He is providing for you.
Only way to prevent him from doing it (besides keeping him in full time) is
to make him stop loving you. And you don't really want to do that.

"Kiran" > wrote in message
> Once again, I found a dead bird at my doorstep. How to discourage my
> cat from doing this? Thanks.

Phil P.
October 21st 05, 06:44 AM
"Kiran" > wrote in message
> Once again, I found a dead bird at my doorstep. How to discourage my
> cat from doing this? Thanks.

Since birds a cat's natural prey, you have only 2 options:

1. Keep her inside or in a screened pen.
2. Get rid of the birds.

Btw, bells on a collar are not only dangerous for an outdoor cat as the
collar can get tangled on objects, but the cat soon learns to hunt even more
stealthily so the bells don't ring until she's into her pounce- too late for
the bird. Someone actually conducted a study that proved that.

jils
October 21st 05, 08:06 AM
i don't like that the cats get the birds, but the whole gift competition
thing, it's priceless!

Cathy Kearns wrote:

> One of my favorite engagement stories happened to one of our tennis ladies.
> Her sweetheart very carefully wrapped an engagement ring in a box with a big
> bow and set it on the pillow of her bed, next to her cat, so she would see
> it when she changed after coming home from work. Well, she walked in the
> bedroom and he heard her scream, which he at first thought was a surprised
> happy scream, but then she kept screaming, and he runs to the bedroom to see
> what the problem was. Very neatly, on the pillow, next to the box with the
> ribbon, was a dead bird. It seems her cat was not about to be out done when
> it came to giving presents.

carola
October 21st 05, 10:12 AM
"jils" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
u...
:i don't like that the cats get the birds, but the whole gift competition
: thing, it's priceless!

Just be very thankful for the gift.
My cats like to keep the bird for themselves and take it apart in the safety
of the living room
---> feathers ALL OVER the place! In the bookshelf, behind the furniture ...

carola

Frank Pittel
October 21st 05, 11:00 AM
In rec.pets.cats.health+behav Ramboyd > wrote:
: Joe Canuck wrote:

: > Kiran wrote:
: >
: > > Once again, I found a dead bird at my doorstep. How to discourage my
: > > cat from doing this? Thanks.
: >
: > You have two options:
: >
: > 1) Keep your cat inside, which really is better for their health. I'm
: > certain there will be arguments over that one.
: >
: > 2) Collar with a bell that gives the birds some fair warning of
: > impending doom.

: Or

: 3) Introduce the cat to a gaggle of Canada geese. The cat will never touch
: another bird again.

That didn't keep my cat from hunting birds. All it did was cause him to switch
from hunt geese to hunting ducks.

--

-------------------

October 21st 05, 11:19 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> Btw, bells on a collar are not only dangerous for an outdoor cat as the
> collar can get tangled on objects, but the cat soon learns to hunt even
> more
> stealthily so the bells don't ring until she's into her pounce- too late
> for
> the bird. Someone actually conducted a study that proved that.

Interesting. I had not seen that one. Thanks, Phil.

cybercat
October 21st 05, 11:21 AM
"jils" > wrote in message
u...
>i don't like that the cats get the birds, but the whole gift competition
>thing, it's priceless!

The neat thing is, if you keep them inside they do the same thing with
socks, toys, etc., and with great fanfare. :)

Joe Canuck
October 21st 05, 12:17 PM
Ramboyd wrote:

> Joe Canuck wrote:
>

>>Kiran wrote:
>>

>>>Once again, I found a dead bird at my doorstep. How to discourage my
>>>cat from doing this? Thanks.
>>
>>You have two options:
>>
>>1) Keep your cat inside, which really is better for their health. I'm
>>certain there will be arguments over that one.
>>
>>2) Collar with a bell that gives the birds some fair warning of
>>impending doom.
>

> Or
>
> 3) Introduce the cat to a gaggle of Canada geese. The cat will never touch
> another bird again.
>
> Ramboyd
>
> ======
>
> "My Ottawa Includes Corruption"

LOL!

Joe Canuck
October 21st 05, 12:18 PM
~*Connie*~ wrote:

> this is your cats way of saying that he loves you. He is providing for you.
> Only way to prevent him from doing it (besides keeping him in full time) is
> to make him stop loving you. And you don't really want to do that.

That was brilliant.

> "Kiran" > wrote in message
>
>>Once again, I found a dead bird at my doorstep. How to discourage my
>>cat from doing this? Thanks.

Lesley
October 21st 05, 01:29 PM
Cathy Kearns wrote:
> > You can't..! Your cat is being a cat, this is what cats do.
>
> One of my favorite engagement stories happened to one of our tennis ladies.
> Her sweetheart very carefully wrapped an engagement ring in a box with a big
> bow and set it on the pillow of her bed, next to her cat, so she would see
> it when she changed after coming home from work. Well, she walked in the
> bedroom and he heard her scream, which he at first thought was a surprised
> happy scream, but then she kept screaming, and he runs to the bedroom to see
> what the problem was. Very neatly, on the pillow, next to the box with the
> ribbon, was a dead bird. It seems her cat was not about to be out done when
> it came to giving presents.

A friend of mine decided to pop the question to his girlfriend. So he
got the ring, bribed her flatmates to go out for the evening and
settled down to watch a romantic film with a bottle of wine. (The film
was to make her feel romantic and the wine was to calm his nerves, he
told me)

Anyway the film finished and as the ending credits played out and she
was sniffing into her tissue, he stood up, gritted his teeth, got down
on bended knee and held out the opened box and said "Kim, will you
marry me?"

Her reply:

"S**t! The cats having her kittens behind the TV!"

(She later said "yes")

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Lesley
October 21st 05, 01:29 PM
Cathy Kearns wrote:
> > You can't..! Your cat is being a cat, this is what cats do.
>
> One of my favorite engagement stories happened to one of our tennis ladies.
> Her sweetheart very carefully wrapped an engagement ring in a box with a big
> bow and set it on the pillow of her bed, next to her cat, so she would see
> it when she changed after coming home from work. Well, she walked in the
> bedroom and he heard her scream, which he at first thought was a surprised
> happy scream, but then she kept screaming, and he runs to the bedroom to see
> what the problem was. Very neatly, on the pillow, next to the box with the
> ribbon, was a dead bird. It seems her cat was not about to be out done when
> it came to giving presents.

A friend of mine decided to pop the question to his girlfriend. So he
got the ring, bribed her flatmates to go out for the evening and
settled down to watch a romantic film with a bottle of wine. (The film
was to make her feel romantic and the wine was to calm his nerves, he
told me)

Anyway the film finished and as the ending credits played out and she
was sniffing into her tissue, he stood up, gritted his teeth, got down
on bended knee and held out the opened box and said "Kim, will you
marry me?"

Her reply:

"S**t! The cats having her kittens behind the TV!"

(She later said "yes")

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

whitershadeofpale
October 21st 05, 04:47 PM
Now that is clever! A bell on the coller.

How practical, how simple, how downright witty!

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

and I bet it works great! Cat would have a hard time running on three
legs while she holds the bell quiet!

cybercat wrote:
> "Kiran" > wrote in message
> > Once again, I found a dead bird at my doorstep. How to discourage my
> > cat from doing this? Thanks.
>
> What do you think the answer is?
>
> Keep her in or at least put a bell on her collar.

Spot
October 22nd 05, 12:48 AM
Put a bell on it's collar and be thankful that it's birds and not rats that
he's bringing home.

I inherited a big tom cat at a place I rented long ago who would bring me
presents of dead river rats at least twice a week. The first time I walked
out on the porch and almost stepped on one I almost died. After a while I
just kept the shovel handy and scooped them up and got rid of them.

In the cat world this is the ultimate gift.

Celeste

"Kiran" > wrote in message
> Once again, I found a dead bird at my doorstep. How to discourage my
> cat from doing this? Thanks.

jils
October 22nd 05, 11:54 AM
lol! i think your friend's cat wins!