PDA

View Full Version : Re: Dyson vacuum

MaryL
October 21st 05, 09:04 PM
"Diane" > wrote in message
> For those of you (Phil?) who've bought Dyson vacuums, how hard are they
> on the carpet? I'm asking because I rent, I don't have the world's best
> carpet, I know it needs to be cleaned with a really good vacuum (think
> cat fur, human hair, and kitty litter, aside from dander and dust), but
> I'm afraid the Dyson might suck it off the floor. Just wondering before
> I spend a boatload. Thank you.
> --
> Web site: http://www.slywy.com/
> Message board: http://www.slywy.com/phpBB2/
> Journal: http://slywy.diaryland.com/

I have a Dyson (there are several versions, and I have the one called "The
Animal"). They are ugly but work great. The vacuum automatically makes
adjustment from hard floors to carpet, and I have never had a problem with
carpet being "sucked up" (just cat fur easily removed from the carpet!).

MaryL

October 21st 05, 10:48 PM
MaryL wrote:

> I have a Dyson (there are several versions, and I have the one called "The
> Animal"). They are ugly but work great. The vacuum automatically makes
> adjustment from hard floors to carpet, and I have never had a problem with
> carpet being "sucked up" (just cat fur easily removed from the carpet!).
>
> MaryL

We have the same model and my wife swears by it! I would definitely
recommend this....it's a bit pricey, but worth it.

Janet B
October 21st 05, 10:50 PM
On 21 Oct 2005 14:48:39 -0700, "
>, clicked their heels and said:

>We have the same model and my wife swears by it! I would definitely
>recommend this....it's a bit pricey, but worth it.

I take it you don't vacuum? Try it - you'll like it!

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

cybercat
October 22nd 05, 01:53 AM
"Diane" > wrote in message
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>
>> The vacuum automatically makes
>> adjustment from hard floors to carpet, and I have never had a problem
>> with
>> carpet being "sucked up" (just cat fur easily removed from the carpet!).
>
> Thanks -- I think I meant, too, the threads out of the carpet. I find it
> intimidating (the descriptions)! I'm imagining a threadbare carpet!
> --

That is just so sad.

October 22nd 05, 06:14 AM
Janet B wrote:
> On 21 Oct 2005 14:48:39 -0700, "
> >, clicked their heels and said:
>

> >We have the same model and my wife swears by it! I would definitely
> >recommend this....it's a bit pricey, but worth it.
>
> I take it you don't vacuum? Try it - you'll like it!

I HAVE tried it and it works great! It's light and versatile. She is
a clean freak (that's a good thing), and wanted the best vacuum cleaner
that we could find. After several recommendations, we tried this one
and love it.

Phil P.
October 22nd 05, 10:42 AM
"Diane" > wrote in message
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>
> > The vacuum automatically makes
> > adjustment from hard floors to carpet, and I have never had a problem
with
> > carpet being "sucked up" (just cat fur easily removed from the carpet!).
>
> Thanks -- I think I meant, too, the threads out of the carpet. I find it
> intimidating (the descriptions)! I'm imagining a threadbare carpet!

The only difference between the "Animal" and "All Floors" models is the
attachments- they contain the same motor and deliver the same power- 270 air
watts. They won't ruin your carpet unless its already falling apart and has
loose strings hanging out (which are also dangerous for your cats).

Phil

MaryL
October 22nd 05, 01:18 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "Diane" > wrote in message
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>>
>> > The vacuum automatically makes
>> > adjustment from hard floors to carpet, and I have never had a problem
> with
>> > carpet being "sucked up" (just cat fur easily removed from the
>> > carpet!).
>>
>> Thanks -- I think I meant, too, the threads out of the carpet. I find it
>> intimidating (the descriptions)! I'm imagining a threadbare carpet!
>
> The only difference between the "Animal" and "All Floors" models is the
> attachments- they contain the same motor and deliver the same power- 270
> air
> watts. They won't ruin your carpet unless its already falling apart and
> has
> loose strings hanging out (which are also dangerous for your cats).
>
> Phil

That's correct. One of the attachments with "The Animal" is a fantastic
rotating attachment for furniture (works *great* a picking up cat fur).

MaryL

Alison
October 22nd 05, 08:57 PM
news:[email protected]

> "> I have a Dyson (there are several versions, and I have the one
called "The
> Animal"). They are ugly but work great. The vacuum automatically
makes
> adjustment from hard floors to carpet, and I have never had a
problem with
> carpet being "sucked up" (just cat fur easily removed from the
carpet!).

> MaryL >>

I have the Animal cylinder and it's great, it picks up hay and bunny
poo too.
The only drawback is I found it heavy.
Alison

MaryL
October 22nd 05, 09:26 PM
"Alison" > wrote in message

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>
>> "> I have a Dyson (there are several versions, and I have the one
> called "The
>> Animal"). They are ugly but work great. The vacuum automatically
> makes
>> adjustment from hard floors to carpet, and I have never had a
> problem with
>> carpet being "sucked up" (just cat fur easily removed from the
> carpet!).
>>
>> MaryL >>
>
> I have the Animal cylinder and it's great, it picks up hay and bunny
> poo too.
> The only drawback is I found it heavy.
> Alison

It's *very* heavy. That has not been a problem for me because my house is
all on one floor, and the Dyson has such large wheels that it is easy to
maneuver. However, it would be a problem for anyone who needed to take it
up or down stairs (although it does have a long cleaning hose, so the extra
weight makes it possible to use the attachments at some distance without
tipping over the cleaner).

MaryL

Cheryl
October 22nd 05, 10:26 PM
On Sat 22 Oct 2005 04:26:59p, MaryL wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav (news:[email protected]):

> It's *very* heavy. That has not been a problem for me because
> my house is all on one floor, and the Dyson has such large
> wheels that it is easy to maneuver. However, it would be a
> problem for anyone who needed to take it up or down stairs
> (although it does have a long cleaning hose, so the extra weight
> makes it possible to use the attachments at some distance
> without tipping over the cleaner).

A friend of mine just bought one of these and she did "the test" when
she got it. She vacuumed with her old vac, then the Dyson to see how
much additional debris she got up, and she was amazed. Between her
and a few others I know who have one, I'm getting one. I have an
Oreck that I love for it's weight, and it does a pretty good job. But
just last week my mom asked me what I want for my birthday next month
and I told her "cash". LOL And that I wanted to buy a Dyson.

--
Cheryl

Tony P.
October 23rd 05, 01:44 AM
In article >,
says...

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > "> I have a Dyson (there are several versions, and I have the one
> called "The
> > Animal"). They are ugly but work great. The vacuum automatically
> makes
> > adjustment from hard floors to carpet, and I have never had a
> problem with
> > carpet being "sucked up" (just cat fur easily removed from the
> carpet!).
> >
> > MaryL >>
>
> I have the Animal cylinder and it's great, it picks up hay and bunny
> poo too.
> The only drawback is I found it heavy.
> Alison

That's because the Dyson wasn't designed for women. It was designed
specifically for a man.

Just look at it and you see why I say that.

Snittens
October 23rd 05, 06:07 AM
"Tony P." > wrote
> That's because the Dyson wasn't designed for women. It was designed
> specifically for a man.
>
> Just look at it and you see why I say that.

Well then, guess I better tell hubby to vacuum because the Dyson "wasn't
designed for me"!! It was my Xmas present last year from him :)
I love my Dyson. I have the Animal model. Have to say I haven't really
found the animal attachment useful, though. I end up using one of the other
small attachments for the couch. My only complaint, and it's more about my
house than the vacuum, is that is it hard to manuver in my somewhat cramped
house.

-Kelly

Joe Canuck
October 23rd 05, 01:51 PM
Snittens wrote:

> "Tony P." > wrote
>
>>That's because the Dyson wasn't designed for women. It was designed
>>specifically for a man.
>>
>>Just look at it and you see why I say that.
>>

> Well then, guess I better tell hubby to vacuum because the Dyson "wasn't
> designed for me"!! It was my Xmas present last year from him :)
> I love my Dyson. I have the Animal model. Have to say I haven't really
> found the animal attachment useful, though. I end up using one of the other
> small attachments for the couch. My only complaint, and it's more about my
> house than the vacuum, is that is it hard to manuver in my somewhat cramped
> house.
>
> -Kelly

You should have thrown the vacuum at him for giving that to you as a
Christmas present... cleaning devices for a Christmas present, sheesh.

"Here Honey, you can keep the house cleanER now."

cybercat
October 23rd 05, 02:19 PM
"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
> Snittens wrote:
>
>> "Tony P." > wrote
>>
>>>That's because the Dyson wasn't designed for women. It was designed
>>>specifically for a man.
>>>
>>>Just look at it and you see why I say that.
>>>

>> Well then, guess I better tell hubby to vacuum because the Dyson "wasn't
>> designed for me"!! It was my Xmas present last year from him :)
>> I love my Dyson. I have the Animal model. Have to say I haven't really
>> found the animal attachment useful, though. I end up using one of the
>> other small attachments for the couch. My only complaint, and it's more
>> about my house than the vacuum, is that is it hard to manuver in my
>> somewhat cramped house.
>>
>> -Kelly
>
> You should have thrown the vacuum at him for giving that to you as a
> Christmas present... cleaning devices for a Christmas present, sheesh.

Really. If I were Kelly I might have given him a washing machine for
Christmas so that he could do a great job on the laundry while I was
vacuuming.

cybercat
October 23rd 05, 02:20 PM
"Alison" > wrote
> The only drawback is I found it heavy.
> Alison

Try the "Dirt Devil" upright for a good lightweight
vac. I don't know how it does on "bunny poo" as
we don't have much of that around our place.

Tony P.
October 23rd 05, 05:04 PM
In article >,
says...

> "Tony P." > wrote
> > That's because the Dyson wasn't designed for women. It was designed
> > specifically for a man.
> >
> > Just look at it and you see why I say that.
> >

> Well then, guess I better tell hubby to vacuum because the Dyson "wasn't
> designed for me"!! It was my Xmas present last year from him :)
> I love my Dyson. I have the Animal model. Have to say I haven't really
> found the animal attachment useful, though. I end up using one of the other
> small attachments for the couch. My only complaint, and it's more about my
> house than the vacuum, is that is it hard to manuver in my somewhat cramped
> house.
>
> -Kelly

Friend of mine used to give major appliances as gifts. I was surprised
tht the marriage lasted for 15 years.

Karen
October 23rd 05, 08:03 PM
On 2005-10-23 07:51:04 -0500, Joe Canuck > said:

> Snittens wrote:
>
>> "Tony P." > wrote
>>
>>> That's because the Dyson wasn't designed for women. It was designed
>>> specifically for a man.
>>>
>>> Just look at it and you see why I say that.
>>>

>> Well then, guess I better tell hubby to vacuum because the Dyson
>> "wasn't designed for me"!! It was my Xmas present last year from him :)
>> I love my Dyson. I have the Animal model. Have to say I haven't
>> really found the animal attachment useful, though. I end up using one
>> of the other small attachments for the couch. My only complaint, and
>> it's more about my house than the vacuum, is that is it hard to manuver
>> in my somewhat cramped house.
>>
>> -Kelly
>>

> You should have thrown the vacuum at him for giving that to you as a
> Christmas present... cleaning devices for a Christmas present, sheesh.
>
> "Here Honey, you can keep the house cleanER now."

Jeez, *I'd* take a Dyson for a Christmas present. Those things are
pricey and everyone I know who has one loves it.

Joe Canuck
October 23rd 05, 08:22 PM
Diane wrote:

> In article <200510231403282781%[email protected]>,
> Karen > wrote:
>

>>>You should have thrown the vacuum at him for giving that to you as a
>>>Christmas present... cleaning devices for a Christmas present, sheesh.
>>>
>>>"Here Honey, you can keep the house cleanER now."
>>
>>Jeez, *I'd* take a Dyson for a Christmas present. Those things are
>>pricey and everyone I know who has one loves it.
>

> Anyone here who wishes to gift me with the Dyson 14 low reach will have
> my eternal love.
>
> (As a friend, of course!)

Darn! :-D

Ramboyd
October 23rd 05, 08:33 PM
Joe Canuck wrote:

> Snittens wrote:
>
> > "Tony P." > wrote
> >
> >>That's because the Dyson wasn't designed for women. It was designed
> >>specifically for a man.
> >>
> >>Just look at it and you see why I say that.
> >>

> > Well then, guess I better tell hubby to vacuum because the Dyson "wasn't
> > designed for me"!! It was my Xmas present last year from him :)
> > I love my Dyson. I have the Animal model. Have to say I haven't really
> > found the animal attachment useful, though. I end up using one of the other
> > small attachments for the couch. My only complaint, and it's more about my
> > house than the vacuum, is that is it hard to manuver in my somewhat cramped
> > house.
> >
> > -Kelly
> >

> You should have thrown the vacuum at him for giving that to you as a
> Christmas present... cleaning devices for a Christmas present, sheesh.
>
> "Here Honey, you can keep the house cleanER now."

Beats underwear and socks.

Ramboyd

======

"My Ottawa Includes Corruption"

cybercat
October 23rd 05, 10:36 PM
"Nomen Nescio" ]> wrote

> I seem to be getting tools for Christmas, lately.

Oh, come on, EVERYBODY KNOWS that men love
to get tools for Christmas! :)

Joe Canuck
October 23rd 05, 10:37 PM
Ramboyd wrote:

> Joe Canuck wrote:
>

>>Snittens wrote:
>>

>>>"Tony P." > wrote

>>>Well then, guess I better tell hubby to vacuum because the Dyson "wasn't
>>>designed for me"!! It was my Xmas present last year from him :)
>>>I love my Dyson. I have the Animal model. Have to say I haven't really
>>>found the animal attachment useful, though. I end up using one of the other
>>>small attachments for the couch. My only complaint, and it's more about my
>>>house than the vacuum, is that is it hard to manuver in my somewhat cramped
>>>house.
>>>
>>>-Kelly
>>>

>>You should have thrown the vacuum at him for giving that to you as a
>>Christmas present... cleaning devices for a Christmas present, sheesh.
>>
>>"Here Honey, you can keep the house cleanER now."
>

> Beats underwear and socks.

Argh, that also keeps the house clean.

Joe Canuck
October 23rd 05, 10:39 PM
cybercat wrote:

> "Nomen Nescio" ]> wrote
>

>>I seem to be getting tools for Christmas, lately.
>

> Oh, come on, EVERYBODY KNOWS that men love
> to get tools for Christmas! :)

Yes, some tools more than others. :-D

Snittens
October 24th 05, 01:28 AM
"Joe Canuck" > wrote

> You should have thrown the vacuum at him for giving that to you as a
> Christmas present... cleaning devices for a Christmas present, sheesh.
>
> "Here Honey, you can keep the house cleanER now."

Nah, it's what I wanted. We weren't really "doing" Christmas last year,
anyway. All he got from me was a shirt.

-Kelly

cybercat
October 24th 05, 04:11 AM
"Diane" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Snittens" > wrote:
>
> > Nah, it's what I wanted. We weren't really "doing" Christmas last year,
> > anyway. All he got from me was a shirt.
>
> Next year, does he get pants?
>
> Just think, in five years he may have enough to wear to go outside! :)
> --

It's always a big mistake to let them outside. Then they can get away. :)

-L.
October 24th 05, 05:35 AM
Joe Canuck wrote:
> You should have thrown the vacuum at him for giving that to you as a
> Christmas present... cleaning devices for a Christmas present, sheesh.
>
> "Here Honey, you can keep the house cleanER now."

Dude, I have asked for Roomba for three years now, and DH won't buy it
for me. I want something to try to help keep on top of these damn pine
needles that are *everywhere*. He seems to think presents like plane
tickets are more practical...bah!

-L.

Snittens
October 24th 05, 05:22 PM
"-L." > wrote

> Dude, I have asked for Roomba for three years now, and DH won't buy it
> for me. I want something to try to help keep on top of these damn pine
> needles that are *everywhere*. He seems to think presents like plane
> tickets are more practical...bah!
>
> -L.

I got my parents a Roomba for Christmas a few years ago. It works well for
in-between vacuumings to keep the place looking respectable, but you still
need a real vacuum.

--
-Kelly

-L.
October 24th 05, 05:25 PM
Snittens wrote:

> I got my parents a Roomba for Christmas a few years ago. It works well for
> in-between vacuumings to keep the place looking respectable, but you still
> need a real vacuum.
>
> --
> -Kelly

I'm thinking it might help with the pine needles. They are atrocious!
We track them everywhere, the dog tracks them in, the cats eat them and
then they barf - it's just a mess. Just one blessing of living in the
PNW! ;)
-L.

Matthew Venhaus
October 24th 05, 06:02 PM
cybercat > wrote in message

> "Alison" > wrote
> > The only drawback is I found it heavy.
> > Alison
> >

> Try the "Dirt Devil" upright for a good lightweight
> vac. I don't know how it does on "bunny poo" as
> we don't have much of that around our place.

I have a Dirt Devil, and find it does a good job. Never used a Dyson,
so I can't compare.