Claudia Seguin
October 23rd 05, 07:26 PM
We got a new kitten 11 weeks old yesterday. She's adorable. Our other cat
who is 15 isn't as impressed as we are Lots of hissing and growling but she
won't go near the kitten. Kitten is avoiding the old one as well. Any
advice. Will she overcome this? Thanks for any words of wisdom.

Karen
October 23rd 05, 07:59 PM
On 2005-10-23 13:26:33 -0500, "Claudia Seguin" > said:

> We got a new kitten 11 weeks old yesterday. She's adorable. Our other
> cat who is 15 isn't as impressed as we are Lots of hissing and
> growling but she won't go near the kitten. Kitten is avoiding the old
> one as well. Any advice. Will she overcome this? Thanks for any
> words of wisdom.

With that small a kitten, 2 weeks tops and they will at least tolerate
if not love each other. Have a place set up to put the kitten when you
go out or just for a little breaktime for the older cat. It's best to
introduce kitten in small amounts so they can get used to each other.

No More Retail
October 23rd 05, 08:07 PM
Did you just put them in the same room together it is not going to work
you have them separated for a few days to get used to each other
basically this is what the older cat is thinking who is this that just
invaded my territory and the little one is thinking I ain't going near him
he is mean.

You have to gradual introduce them together put the kitten in another room
and close the door for a couple days of course the kitten needs attention.
they will start smelling each other under the door there will be hissing
don't punish him for that. Personally when they start playing with each
other under the door you can let them be together with out watching them.
But right now after a day or two letting the kitten out to explore the house
with you watching won't hurt but watch the older cat to make sure no combat
happens that means claws out biting not hissing it may take a little bit
but don't get discouraged When the kitten gets big enough he will give the
older cat a run for its money

October 24th 05, 07:49 AM
Yes. It takes time. Give it a month or two before you decide there's a
problem. Cats need to adjust to changes in their lives. A fifteen year
old cat may find a kitten rather boisterous, so make sure they both
have private areas to retreat to, and they both have "alone time" with
you when they won't be bothered. Seperate them for now and do brief,
supervised visits for short periods of time and then gradually work up
to longer and longer periods of time together. And spoil the older cat
- lots of affection and treats and time with you. The kitten will be
fine - the older cat needs to understand that she isn't being replaced
by this interloper and the kitten needs to understand that this house
is to be shared with the resident cat.