PDA

View Full Version : Question about cat behaviour

Wilson Roberto Afonso
October 25th 05, 08:08 AM
Hello all,

A quick question... we've been living with a cat for the last five months
(he's nine months old now). He has quite a few toys, his favourite being a
plush mouse that's tied to a 2-feet-long piece of string (so that we can
pull it around).

For the last 10 days or so, in every single night, about ten minutes after
we go to bed, the cat walks into our bedroom with the mouse in his mouth,
meowing softly (sounds like "rrrr-oo-ow"; it's hard to meow properly with a
mouse in your mouth, I guess), drops the mouse at the foot ot bed and waits
there until he's acknowledged (usually with a pat on the head, "good
boy"-style). In the event that he can't get the mouse to us (if the string
is wrapped around something, for example) he'll sit by the mouse meowing
until one of us releases it; he'll then wait for us to get back to bed and
then will bring the mouse in.

So, the question is... since I've never seen a cat do anything quite like
that, what, exactly, is the cat trying to do? Is he
(a) trying to get us to play with him and the mouse?
(b) bringing the mouse to sleep with us?
(c) bringing us prey, as that would be his hunting time and we're clearly
lousy hunters?
(d) doing something else entirely?

I think the most likely explanation is (c), in which case the question
becomes: what should we do? Should we pick up the mouse, "accepting" the
gift?

Any clues?

Thanks in advance,

-Wilson

Phil P.
October 25th 05, 09:56 AM
"Wilson Roberto Afonso" > wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> A quick question... we've been living with a cat for the last five months
> (he's nine months old now). He has quite a few toys, his favourite being a
> plush mouse that's tied to a 2-feet-long piece of string (so that we can
> pull it around).
>
> For the last 10 days or so, in every single night, about ten minutes after
> we go to bed, the cat walks into our bedroom with the mouse in his mouth,
> meowing softly (sounds like "rrrr-oo-ow"; it's hard to meow properly with
> mouse in your mouth, I guess), drops the mouse at the foot ot bed and
waits
> there until he's acknowledged (usually with a pat on the head, "good
> boy"-style). In the event that he can't get the mouse to us (if the string
> is wrapped around something, for example)

You shouldn't let your cat play with string toys without supervision. Cats
are infamous for chewing and swallowing string. If he chews off a piece-
(cats' carnassial teeth are designed for *cutting* like shears- not chewing)
it can pleat up the intestines and cut through the intestinal wall.

October 25th 05, 05:06 PM
Yep. He's bringing you "food" that he caught. It is a gift of love. I
would generally coo approvingly, thank him, tell him what a wonderful
hunter he is, and yes, pick up the nouse and place it for a moment or
two on a night table. You can throw it on the floor again 5 minutes
later - after the ritual is over.

cybercat
October 25th 05, 05:24 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Yep. He's bringing you "food" that he caught. It is a gift of love. I
> would generally coo approvingly, thank him, tell him what a wonderful
> hunter he is, and yes, pick up the nouse and place it for a moment or
> two on a night table. You can throw it on the floor again 5 minutes
> later - after the ritual is over.

Then the ritual will be repeated sooner or later, especially if you praise
him!
I think this is one of the cutest things they do.

dgk
October 25th 05, 08:09 PM
On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:24:04 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>> Yep. He's bringing you "food" that he caught. It is a gift of love. I
>> would generally coo approvingly, thank him, tell him what a wonderful
>> hunter he is, and yes, pick up the nouse and place it for a moment or
>> two on a night table. You can throw it on the floor again 5 minutes
>> later - after the ritual is over.
>>

>Then the ritual will be repeated sooner or later, especially if you praise
>him!
>I think this is one of the cutest things they do.

Yes, it's cute as long as it is a fake mouse.

whitershadeofpale
October 26th 05, 01:25 AM
Phil P. wrote:

> You shouldn't let your cat play with string toys without supervision. Cats
> are infamous for chewing and swallowing string. If he chews off a piece-
> (cats' carnassial teeth are designed for *cutting* like shears- not chewing)
> it can pleat up the intestines and cut through the intestinal wall.

get out of your mammas basement dick weed

Phil P.
October 26th 05, 03:22 AM
"whitershadeofpale" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Phil P. wrote:
>
> > You shouldn't let your cat play with string toys without supervision.
Cats
> > are infamous for chewing and swallowing string. If he chews off a
piece-
> > (cats' carnassial teeth are designed for *cutting* like shears- not
chewing)
> > it can pleat up the intestines and cut through the intestinal wall.
>
> get out of your mammas basement dick weed

I would give anything to live in my Mother's basement- she died >10 years
ago, you ****ing mindless moron.

Have you returned to regain your title of undisputed Village Idiot? Don't
worry babbling Barry, no one can surpass your monumental stupidity and
mindless blather.

I really hope you didn't get another cat after your utter stupidity and
mindlessness caused Ruprecht's painful death by a pack of dogs- a pack of
dogs that you *knew* lived in a city dump near your home and pervaded your
slum neighborhood. What kind of mindless moron lets a cat out knowing wild
dogs could be around?

If you want to really help cats, leave them the hell alone because you're
far too stupid to be entrusted with a cat's life. Donate the money you make
from collecting empty bottles and cans from trash baskets to an animal
shelter. You just don't have the intelligence to care for a cat.

whitershadeofpale
October 28th 05, 03:31 PM
Phil P. wrote:

> If you want to really help cats, leave them the hell alone because you're
> far too stupid to be entrusted with a cat's life. Donate the money you make
> from collecting empty bottles and cans from trash baskets to an animal
> shelter. You just don't have the intelligence to care for a cat.

ya whatever hoser!

I don't like your lack of tact - you are rude to nice people.

in fact you *have* no tact

stop being an arse, and you won't have to spill paragraphs on my
little comments

Ok...I'm off to collect cans and bottles.

Phil P.
October 28th 05, 06:00 PM
"whitershadeofpale" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> I don't like your lack of tact -

So? I don't like babbling idiots like you.

Go play in one of your kiddy chat rooms.

whitershadeofpale
October 28th 05, 06:22 PM
at some point it is very clear that YOU have been treated
the same way you treat people here.

Call it debriefing?... you don't mean to be the way you are
but since you got your boots full of it from someone else
it is indicitive of how you treat others.

Sorry someone did you this way man...I really am.

You seem very smart, especially about cats, which is cool
There are many things I'd like to learn, but it sho makes
reading hard when one has to first get a dose of your bitter gall.

uh, just be nice dude, put yourself in us dummies shoes.

again, sorry someone treated you like a moron (even though you are
not)... and really? they did it because someone did it to them as well.

You're just trying to debrief. (in case you wuz wondering)

Phil P. wrote:
> "whitershadeofpale" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>

> > I don't like your lack of tact -
>

> So? I don't like babbling idiots like you.
>
> Go play in one of your kiddy chat rooms.

Phil P.
October 28th 05, 07:36 PM
"whitershadeofpale" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> at some point it is very clear that YOU have been treated
> the same way you treat people here.

LOL! I don't think so. You're clearly not very bright. I just have a low
tolerance for babbling idiots like you.

> You're just trying to debrief.

I am? LOL! You should try to depart.

> (in case you wuz wondering)