PDA

View Full Version : jasmine's dirty bum

meee
October 25th 05, 11:37 AM
Hi all...more jasmine questions and thanks for your patience. Jasmine has
had a really dirty rear end lately; not feces sticking to her, just black
dust, I'm supposing from the litter. I use a litter made from plant
material, it is dark green and smells like grass, and it appears to be from
this. She is huge, but still seems to be able to clean herself. I have been
cleaning her up, which she is very offended by, but am wondering what is
causing it. Her feces are normal, except for after I changed her food. Since
then she is normal. Any ideas or solutions? She is very big and sleeps a
lot, except to eat and complain to me. It's quite hot at the moment too.

Joe Canuck
October 25th 05, 12:28 PM
meee wrote:

> Hi all...more jasmine questions and thanks for your patience. Jasmine has
> had a really dirty rear end lately; not feces sticking to her, just black
> dust, I'm supposing from the litter. I use a litter made from plant
> material, it is dark green and smells like grass, and it appears to be from
> this. She is huge, but still seems to be able to clean herself. I have been
> cleaning her up, which she is very offended by, but am wondering what is
> causing it. Her feces are normal, except for after I changed her food. Since
> then she is normal. Any ideas or solutions? She is very big and sleeps a
> lot, except to eat and complain to me. It's quite hot at the moment too.

Is the litter material dusty?

If so, have you tried repeatedly pouring it from one container to
another while outside to "shake off" some of the dust in the air?

Does she have a large box with room to move around?

Higher humidy will cause items to somewhat stick as well.

meee
October 26th 05, 12:14 AM
"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
> meee wrote:
>
> > Hi all...more jasmine questions and thanks for your patience. Jasmine
has
> > had a really dirty rear end lately; not feces sticking to her, just
black
> > dust, I'm supposing from the litter. I use a litter made from plant
> > material, it is dark green and smells like grass, and it appears to be
from
> > this. She is huge, but still seems to be able to clean herself. I have
been
> > cleaning her up, which she is very offended by, but am wondering what is
> > causing it. Her feces are normal, except for after I changed her food.
Since
> > then she is normal. Any ideas or solutions? She is very big and sleeps a
> > lot, except to eat and complain to me. It's quite hot at the moment too.
> >

> Is the litter material dusty?
>
> If so, have you tried repeatedly pouring it from one container to
> another while outside to "shake off" some of the dust in the air?
>
> Does she have a large box with room to move around?
>
> Higher humidy will cause items to somewhat stick as well.

The litter material isn't very dusty, it's hard shiny pellets that go soft
and grassy looking when wet. She has a large box, so i'm thinking it quite
possibly is the humidity; it's very hot and humid here at the moment, and
will only get worse. we've got air con in every room except hers, she only
has a fan. however I'm happy about that, as when she has the kittens they
can be kept in the warmer, un airconditioned room until they are a bit
bigger; air-con can be a bit cool for tiny paws and ears. I think the heat
is also making her tired, she's quite petite and her belly is huge. I'm
inclined to think this isn't her first litter, when she came to us we
thought she was pregnant, but she may have just had kittens a few eeks
before she came. i think she's older than we thought she was, she's quite
small and fine boned, which makes me think she's had a first litter quite
young and it stopped her growing to her full size- she has that look about
her. I'm hoping to get her and the kittens desexed before they are rehomed,
I'm thinking about contacting one of the shelters to see if they can help.
If she only has two or three kittens I can probably manage it and get her
desexed too, but if she has 8 or 9 or something, I hay need some help, as
that's well over a grand, which I could pay off but might be a bit too much
right now.

whitershadeofpale
October 26th 05, 01:22 AM
meee wrote:

> I'm thinking about contacting one of the shelters to see if they can help.
> If she only has two or three kittens I can probably manage it and get her
> desexed too, but if she has 8 or 9 or something, I hay need some help, as
> that's well over a grand, which I could pay off but might be a bit too much
> right now.

The litter you describe sounds exactly like the stains on Jazzes bum.

Hmmm

I wonder!

hehe

acrosst the bigpond? Hot? Oh well..hand loose...winter will be there
soon.

Judy
October 26th 05, 01:32 AM
"whitershadeofpale" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> meee wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking about contacting one of the shelters to see if they can
>> help.
>> If she only has two or three kittens I can probably manage it and get her
>> desexed too, but if she has 8 or 9 or something, I hay need some help, as
>> that's well over a grand, which I could pay off but might be a bit too
>> much
>> right now.
>
> The litter you describe sounds exactly like the stains on Jazzes bum.
>
> Hmmm
>
> I wonder!
>
> hehe
>
> acrosst the bigpond? Hot? Oh well..hand loose...winter will be there
> soon.

NOT!! It's Spring in Australia at the moment and they're heading into
Summer.

October 26th 05, 08:10 AM
meee wrote:
> "Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
> > meee wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all...more jasmine questions and thanks for your patience. Jasmine
> has
> > > had a really dirty rear end lately; not feces sticking to her, just
> black
> > > dust, I'm supposing from the litter. I use a litter made from plant
> > > material, it is dark green and smells like grass, and it appears to be
> from
> > > this.

I think those pellets are made from lucerne... a lovely smell (at least
I think so!)... means you can flush the lumps down the toilet...

> She is huge, but still seems to be able to clean herself. I have
> been
> > > cleaning her up, which she is very offended by, but am wondering what is
> > > causing it. Her feces are normal, except for after I changed her food.
> Since
> > > then she is normal. Any ideas or solutions? She is very big and sleeps a
> > > lot, except to eat and complain to me. It's quite hot at the moment too.

She may be able to do the "bare minimum" of cleaning but maybe she
can't wash thoroughly enough to take care of the major stuff, if she's
heavily pregnant.

<snippage> I'm hoping to get her and the kittens desexed before they
are >rehomed,
> I'm thinking about contacting one of the shelters to see if they can help.
> If she only has two or three kittens I can probably manage it and get her
> desexed too, but if she has 8 or 9 or something, I hay need some help, as
> that's well over a grand, which I could pay off but might be a bit too much
> right now.

What state do you live in? Here in South Australia there is a
subsidised desexing program - an organisation called C.A.T.S. (Cats
Assistance to Sterilise) refers to participating vets - $AU55 for
girls, $AU38 for boys. In WA I think some of the local councils
provide vouchers to vets in the area. I did recently hear about a good
deal in Sydney too - I can email you the details if you need it...
also it wouldn't hurt to talk to a few vets who might give you a bulk
rate if you're getting a mother and a whole litter done...And some of
the people wanting to give them homes ought to be willing to contribute
to your expenses if they can, so you might get some money back there (I
think people do find it attractive to acquire a cat that's already
"done", too).

HTH (you can email me personally at glengana.lodge (at)
catsofamarin.com , or a good place to ask advice is
www.cat-world.com.au/forums)
Cheers,
Catherine

-L.
October 26th 05, 08:39 AM
meee wrote:
> Hi all...more jasmine questions and thanks for your patience. Jasmine has
> had a really dirty rear end lately; not feces sticking to her, just black
> dust, I'm supposing from the litter. I use a litter made from plant
> material, it is dark green and smells like grass, and it appears to be from
> this. She is huge, but still seems to be able to clean herself. I have been
> cleaning her up, which she is very offended by, but am wondering what is
> causing it. Her feces are normal, except for after I changed her food. Since
> then she is normal. Any ideas or solutions? She is very big and sleeps a
> lot, except to eat and complain to me. It's quite hot at the moment too.

Take her in and get her a "panty shave" where they trim the fur from
around her anus. Is she long-haired? This is almost imperative if she
is.

-L.

No More Retail
October 26th 05, 03:29 PM
here is something to I have seen in the shelters what we call dirty cats
that is cats that have not been taught proper cleaning methods by their
mothers or been enough social with others cats grooming each other. When we
get the cats that don't clean themselves we of course clean them up but we
use a clear fish oil jelly that is edible you can get it from the local
supermarket in the health food section or you can use Vaseline. Well they
don't like the feel of it and they start licking the area after a few times
they get the hint and start doing it themselves

meee
October 28th 05, 02:33 AM
yes, I think that's probably the origin of the dirt...she doesn't like me
cleaning her up though...gets highly insulted!!

--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway

"whitershadeofpale" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> meee wrote:
>
> > I'm thinking about contacting one of the shelters to see if they can
help.
> > If she only has two or three kittens I can probably manage it and get
her
> > desexed too, but if she has 8 or 9 or something, I hay need some help,
as
> > that's well over a grand, which I could pay off but might be a bit too
much
> > right now.
>
> The litter you describe sounds exactly like the stains on Jazzes bum.
>
> Hmmm
>
> I wonder!
>
> hehe
>
> acrosst the bigpond? Hot? Oh well..hand loose...winter will be there
> soon.

meee
October 28th 05, 02:34 AM
"Judy" > wrote in message

> "whitershadeofpale" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > meee wrote:
> >
> >> I'm thinking about contacting one of the shelters to see if they can
> >> help.
> >> If she only has two or three kittens I can probably manage it and get
her
> >> desexed too, but if she has 8 or 9 or something, I hay need some help,
as
> >> that's well over a grand, which I could pay off but might be a bit too
> >> much
> >> right now.
> >
> > The litter you describe sounds exactly like the stains on Jazzes bum.
> >
> > Hmmm
> >
> > I wonder!
> >
> > hehe
> >
> > acrosst the bigpond? Hot? Oh well..hand loose...winter will be there
> > soon.
>
> NOT!! It's Spring in Australia at the moment and they're heading into
> Summer.

yes, and we're in the tropical north part....31 degrees celcius yesterday,
god knows what humidity, and it will only get worse....at least the kittens
won't be cold though!!

meee
October 28th 05, 02:38 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> meee wrote:

Jasmine
> > has
> > black
> > from
>
> I think those pellets are made from lucerne... a lovely smell (at least
> I think so!)... means you can flush the lumps down the toilet...

yes, i just wish i could get bigger bags of it...it totally kills the
ammonia smell, so i can leave litter boxes wherever she needs them and make
life easier for her.

> > She is huge, but still seems to be able to clean herself. I have
> > been
> > Since
>
> She may be able to do the "bare minimum" of cleaning but maybe she
> can't wash thoroughly enough to take care of the major stuff, if she's
> heavily pregnant.

yes, I'm helping her along a bit with the rear end now...she takes it VERY
personally though

> <snippage> I'm hoping to get her and the kittens desexed before they
> are >rehomed,
> > I'm thinking about contacting one of the shelters to see if they can
help.
> > If she only has two or three kittens I can probably manage it and get
her
> > desexed too, but if she has 8 or 9 or something, I hay need some help,
as
> > that's well over a grand, which I could pay off but might be a bit too
much
> > right now.
>
> What state do you live in? Here in South Australia there is a
> subsidised desexing program - an organisation called C.A.T.S. (Cats
> Assistance to Sterilise) refers to participating vets - $AU55 for
> girls, $AU38 for boys. In WA I think some of the local councils
> provide vouchers to vets in the area. I did recently hear about a good
> deal in Sydney too - I can email you the details if you need it...
> also it wouldn't hurt to talk to a few vets who might give you a bulk
> rate if you're getting a mother and a whole litter done...And some of
> the people wanting to give them homes ought to be willing to contribute
> to your expenses if they can, so you might get some money back there (I
> think people do find it attractive to acquire a cat that's already
> "done", too).
>
> HTH (you can email me personally at glengana.lodge (at)
> catsofamarin.com , or a good place to ask advice is
> www.cat-world.com.au/forums)
> Cheers,
> Catherine

Thnaks for that! Our local cat rescue has just advertised 1/2 off desexing
vouchers valid for three months. Unfortunately up here they refuse to desex
kittens at 3-4 months, and as most people want 'kittens' not 'cats' I'm not
sure what to do...I'm thinking of getting the vouchers, and making up a
'kitty basket' to go with the kittens and help them settle in, including a
desex voucher. Does anyone know of a reason why vets would refuse to desex
at that age?

meee
October 28th 05, 02:40 AM
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> meee wrote:
> > Hi all...more jasmine questions and thanks for your patience. Jasmine
has
> > had a really dirty rear end lately; not feces sticking to her, just
black
> > dust, I'm supposing from the litter. I use a litter made from plant
> > material, it is dark green and smells like grass, and it appears to be
from
> > this. She is huge, but still seems to be able to clean herself. I have
been
> > cleaning her up, which she is very offended by, but am wondering what is
> > causing it. Her feces are normal, except for after I changed her food.
Since
> > then she is normal. Any ideas or solutions? She is very big and sleeps a
> > lot, except to eat and complain to me. It's quite hot at the moment too.
>
> Take her in and get her a "panty shave" where they trim the fur from
> around her anus. Is she long-haired? This is almost imperative if she
> is.
>
> -L.

She's long haired, but i've been told she carries the long haired gene and
her coat is slightly thicker than short haired cats. That may be an
idea...I'll have to ask the vet.

meee
October 28th 05, 02:43 AM
"No More Retail" > wrote in message
> here is something to I have seen in the shelters what we call dirty cats
> that is cats that have not been taught proper cleaning methods by their
> mothers or been enough social with others cats grooming each other. When
we
> get the cats that don't clean themselves we of course clean them up but
we
> use a clear fish oil jelly that is edible you can get it from the local
> supermarket in the health food section or you can use Vaseline. Well they
> don't like the feel of it and they start licking the area after a few
times
> they get the hint and start doing it themselves

That's very possible...as she was abandoned she would have had little or no
normal contact with other cats... I'm pretty sure she has already had at
least one litter, and very young, as she has a quite 'half grown' look about
her. I'll try the vaseline after she's kittened. She understands me though,
I'll tell her her paws are dirty, then she starts washing them....my husband
didn't believe me til he saw her do it...I told her off for having a dirty
bum yesterday, and she started cleaning herself! (or trying to!)

whitershadeofpale
October 28th 05, 03:12 PM
Judy wrote:

> NOT!! It's Spring in Australia at the moment and they're heading into
> Summer.

Oh! That big pond