PDA

View Full Version : Behaviour changes (good)

rach
October 25th 05, 07:08 PM
A few months ago, I posted that our older of two cats - Delilah - was
finally comfortable with us putting her on the sofa. We feel she was
abused before and sofas were off limits. Finally again this week, she
is getting up on her own as soon as one of us sits down and will settle
on us and sleep for hours at a time. Previously she was always a little
nervous when on the sofa with us and would jump at the slightest noise
or movement. She will now sleep through thunderstorms or elephants
running through the room.

Any ideas as to why her behaviour would change so suddenly for the
better? She has always been a delight of a cat but now after almost two
years with us seems so much more secure. Could it take that long to
train out bad expearinces or memories?

TIA

No More Retail
October 25th 05, 07:27 PM
Yes even longer cats are like humans how long does it take a person to grow
out of a trauma answer when they are ready to

Juls
October 25th 05, 10:11 PM
In article . com>,
"rach" > wrote:

> A few months ago, I posted that our older of two cats - Delilah - was
> finally comfortable with us putting her on the sofa. We feel she was
> abused before and sofas were off limits. Finally again this week, she
> is getting up on her own as soon as one of us sits down and will settle
> on us and sleep for hours at a time. Previously she was always a little
> nervous when on the sofa with us and would jump at the slightest noise
> or movement. She will now sleep through thunderstorms or elephants
> running through the room.
>
> Any ideas as to why her behaviour would change so suddenly for the
> better? She has always been a delight of a cat but now after almost two
> years with us seems so much more secure. Could it take that long to
> train out bad expearinces or memories?

I think it definitely can. I've had Jack for about three years now, and
he's had some things that took him forever to get used to. I think he
had some bad experiences in the past. For example, it took a good two
years where he didn't run like a bat out of hell when I walked too
loudly near him. I learned to walk softly and slowly when he was
around.

Now, he knows he's safe and I can clomp around like a monster, and he
gets under my feet all the time. There was a time when no way would he
be underfoot.

There are some other things dealing with timidness that I can't think
of now, but that I've noticed as time has gone by....he's just not
timid like he was when he first moved in.

Just this week he's started banging a kitchen cabinet door when he
wants food. I just tell him to stop it, and he does, but two or three
years ago, he would NEVER have done that. It just seemed to take him a
long time to realize that no matter what he does, he's got a forever,
happy home.

Doesn't it just break your heart?

--
To email (remove annoying hyphens)

j-u-l-i
at
e-c-t-dot-o-r-g

Juls
October 25th 05, 11:27 PM
In article >,
"Brandy**Alexandre" > wrote:

> That's sweet, but probably annoying. ;)

Normally it would be, but I'm just so thrilled that he's back to his
sassy self. He could just about do anything and I'd be delighted by it.
I was so worried after Dmitri died that he'd never break out of his
depression, so sass is good! Plus, he quits when I tell him to. (Unlike
a certain Minnie Mouse)

> Kami insists she doesn't need me, but while I was sitting on the couch
> last night doing a crossword, she was next to me and put a paw on my
> leg and dozed off. I moved and she started awake like, "Where you
> going?" Then when we went to bed, I snuggled in with my hand on the
> edge of her bed, as I sometimes do, and she got up and turned around so
> she could lay her head on my hand. I think it's forgiveness for the
> recent ER trip.

Aww, bless her heart.

--
To email (remove annoying hyphens)

j-u-l-i
at
e-c-t-dot-o-r-g

.oO rach Oo.
October 26th 05, 12:02 AM
> I think it definitely can. I've had Jack for about three years now, and
> he's had some things that took him forever to get used to. I think he
> had some bad experiences in the past. For example, it took a good two
> years where he didn't run like a bat out of hell when I walked too
> loudly near him. I learned to walk softly and slowly when he was
> around.
>
> Now, he knows he's safe and I can clomp around like a monster, and he
> gets under my feet all the time. There was a time when no way would he
> be underfoot.
>
> There are some other things dealing with timidness that I can't think
> of now, but that I've noticed as time has gone by....he's just not
> timid like he was when he first moved in.
>
> Just this week he's started banging a kitchen cabinet door when he
> wants food. I just tell him to stop it, and he does, but two or three
> years ago, he would NEVER have done that. It just seemed to take him a
> long time to realize that no matter what he does, he's got a forever,
> happy home.
>
> Doesn't it just break your heart?
>
> --
> To email (remove annoying hyphens)
>
> j-u-l-i
> at
> e-c-t-dot-o-r-g

It really does break my heart. Delilah is such a gentle cat. Even her meow
is soft and very rarely used. My husband and I have said SO many times...
"how could ANYONE be mean to this cat?" any cat for that matter but Delilah
especially.

rach

meee
October 26th 05, 12:02 AM
I'm really glad she's decided it's ok to be a cat now. Jasmine is the same;
she doesn'tlike sitting on the couch, even 'her' couch in 'her' room. she
will sit on me, but not on the couch itself. She also won't jump on the
kitchen bench, except when we're in bed or out. I don't know why, she
doesn't freak out if i put her on the couch or bench, she just jumps
straight off. We don't know anything about her history so i gess she'll
always be a mystery to us!

--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway