PDA

View Full Version : VENT!!!

Snittens
October 26th 05, 02:42 AM
I subscribe to the local Freecycle list, and I saw a post today that ****ed
me off!
The gist of it is that the woman's 9 yr old boy's cat was killed by a car
and he will be heartbroken. So, she wants to surprise him with a bunny for
his birthday next week. She is looking for an outdoor rabbit hutch.

OK, so how many things wrong with this messsage do you see? I really want
to email this woman and tell her how she is setting a bad example of how to
treat animals. But I will probably wimp out and not do it. Freecycle isn't
a discussion group and it might get me kicked off.

Don't even get me started on the animal listings! I have tried to get a
number of cats and dogs into the shelter, but either they are gone, or
people actually think that giving them away to a random stranger is better
than taking them to *gasp, horrors* a shelter where the animal will be
properly vetted, vaccinated, spayed/neutered, and placed with a screened
home.

-kelly

Elizabeth Blake
October 26th 05, 03:33 AM
"Snittens" > wrote in message
. ..
>I subscribe to the local Freecycle list, and I saw a post today that ****ed
>me off!
> The gist of it is that the woman's 9 yr old boy's cat was killed by a car
> and he will be heartbroken. So, she wants to surprise him with a bunny
> for his birthday next week. She is looking for an outdoor rabbit hutch.

I cringe every time I see a pet offered on Freecycle. I only joined several
months ago but so far I've seen a bunch of cats offered, as well as birds.
No dogs, hamsters, smakes etc offered so far.

--
Liz

Ramboyd
October 26th 05, 04:08 AM
Elizabeth Blake wrote:

> "Snittens" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >I subscribe to the local Freecycle list, and I saw a post today that ****ed
> >me off!
> > The gist of it is that the woman's 9 yr old boy's cat was killed by a car
> > and he will be heartbroken. So, she wants to surprise him with a bunny
> > for his birthday next week. She is looking for an outdoor rabbit hutch.
>
> I cringe every time I see a pet offered on Freecycle. I only joined several
> months ago but so far I've seen a bunch of cats offered, as well as birds.
> No dogs, hamsters, smakes etc offered so far.
>
> --
> Liz

The freecycle in Ottawa doesn't allow animals to be traded. Perhaps you could
suggest this to the administrator in your area.

Ramboyd

======

"My Ottawa Includes Corruption"

October 26th 05, 04:42 AM
Snittens wrote:

snipped
I really want
> to email this woman and tell her how she is setting a bad example of how to
> treat animals.
snipped
> -kelly

Send her an e-mail, just don't post it on the freecycle group. There's
nothing wrong with sending her a nice e-mail, in an attempt to make her
stop and think about what she's doing.
I cringe at the animal listings on freecycle too. I always respond
privately and invite them to bring the animal to the shelter where it
will be neutered before being placed in a home and offer to get the
person an application for free spay/neuter for the mama cat/dog. The
response has run the gamut from no response at all, to some very good
endings. You're right about people's attitudes about shelters. Some
just think it's a death sentence and don't realize the animal has a
much better chance for a *good* home there.

Sherry

-L.
October 26th 05, 08:44 AM
Snittens wrote:
> I subscribe to the local Freecycle list, and I saw a post today that ****ed
> me off!
> The gist of it is that the woman's 9 yr old boy's cat was killed by a car
> and he will be heartbroken. So, she wants to surprise him with a bunny for
> his birthday next week. She is looking for an outdoor rabbit hutch.
>
> OK, so how many things wrong with this messsage do you see? I really want
> to email this woman and tell her how she is setting a bad example of how to
> treat animals. But I will probably wimp out and not do it. Freecycle isn't
> a discussion group and it might get me kicked off.
>
> Don't even get me started on the animal listings! I have tried to get a
> number of cats and dogs into the shelter, but either they are gone, or
> people actually think that giving them away to a random stranger is better
> than taking them to *gasp, horrors* a shelter where the animal will be
> properly vetted, vaccinated, spayed/neutered, and placed with a screened
> home.
>
> -kelly

Honestly, there are times when I cannot take this kind of ****. I feel
like no matter how much educating one does, there is always 10^5 more
to do. Bam, bam, bam goes the head on the desk...

-L.

October 26th 05, 08:04 PM
On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 21:42:36 -0400, "Snittens"
> wrote:

>I subscribe to the local Freecycle list, and I saw a post today that ****ed
>me off!
>The gist of it is that the woman's 9 yr old boy's cat was killed by a car
>and he will be heartbroken. So, she wants to surprise him with a bunny for
>his birthday next week. She is looking for an outdoor rabbit hutch.
>
>OK, so how many things wrong with this messsage do you see? I really want
>to email this woman and tell her how she is setting a bad example of how to
>treat animals. But I will probably wimp out and not do it. Freecycle isn't
>a discussion group and it might get me kicked off.
>
>Don't even get me started on the animal listings! I have tried to get a
>number of cats and dogs into the shelter, but either they are gone, or
>people actually think that giving them away to a random stranger is better
>than taking them to *gasp, horrors* a shelter where the animal will be
>properly vetted, vaccinated, spayed/neutered, and placed with a screened
>home.
>
>-kelly

Kelly, you might want to try nicely asking the moderators, explaining
why, to ban all animal listings. This is what happened on my local
Freeycle group, and listings for animals are now banned.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~summer/index.htm (genealogy)
Animals in Movies Website)

Snittens
October 26th 05, 09:43 PM
Ding ding ding!! We have a winner :) Exactly my thoughts, Diane.

--
-Kelly

"Diane" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Snittens" > wrote:
>
>> The gist of it is that the woman's 9 yr old boy's cat was killed by a car
>
> and shouldn't have been outside in the first place . . .
>
>> and he will be heartbroken.
>
> and shouldn't be allowed to grieve, apparently . . .
>
>> So, she wants to surprise him with a bunny
>
> which is nothing like a cat . . .
>
>> for
>> his birthday next week.
>
> because animals are commodities that can be replaced if one "breaks" . .
> .
>
>> She is looking for an outdoor rabbit hutch.
>
> . . . even though rabbits can be kept nicely indoors.
>
> How well did I do?
> --
> Web site: http://www.slywy.com/
> Message board: http://www.slywy.com/phpBB2/
> Journal: http://slywy.diaryland.com/

Snittens
October 26th 05, 09:43 PM
I've seen just about every type of animal on there. I think the rules on
ours also say no animals, but they are on there anyway :(

--
-Kelly

"Elizabeth Blake" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> "Snittens" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>I subscribe to the local Freecycle list, and I saw a post today that
>>****ed me off!
>> The gist of it is that the woman's 9 yr old boy's cat was killed by a car
>> and he will be heartbroken. So, she wants to surprise him with a bunny
>> for his birthday next week. She is looking for an outdoor rabbit hutch.
>
> I cringe every time I see a pet offered on Freecycle. I only joined
> several months ago but so far I've seen a bunch of cats offered, as well
> as birds. No dogs, hamsters, smakes etc offered so far.
>
> --
> Liz

whitershadeofpale
October 31st 05, 02:26 AM
Snittens wrote:
> I subscribe to the local Freecycle list, and I saw a post today that ****ed
> me off!
> The gist of it is that the woman's 9 yr old boy's cat was killed by a car
> and he will be heartbroken. So, she wants to surprise him with a bunny for
> his birthday next week. She is looking for an outdoor rabbit hutch.
>

> -kelly

There is a whole other genre of people who do not see things the way
you and Lady Di do

So what should we do with these people? Nothing. I call it live and let
live.

I don't see why the article would anger you.

Hey! Some people will take a rabbit and give it a name and pet it
and love it. Others will fry it up. You know that.

So you may call this post venting? but you never talked about what's
bugging you. No...I mean really! I cannot believe it has anything to do
with the article.

whitershadeofpale
October 31st 05, 02:41 AM
wrote:
You're right about people's attitudes about shelters. Some
> just think it's a death sentence and don't realize the animal has a
> much better chance for a *good* home there.
>
> Sherry

OH NO NOT YOU TOO!

Ok, admittedly I haven't read freecycle? maybe there is a link?

but uh, reading Snittens (what a scary handle) version of the story...

I don't see anything odd with the womans attitude. What.

She acknowledged that her son would be heartbroken.

There's nothing like another lover to get over the last...
There's nothing like a wabbit to chase the blues from loosing a cat...

See, the woman's idea was to get an animal that stays caged (so as not
to repeat the car hitting it, she was thinking about her son)Rabbits in
the house? Some people fry them up, If I had to live in a cage, I would
rather live outdoors. I'm SURE they will make a warm place for when it
gets cold.

I dare Snittens to write the woman a letter

whitershadeofpale
October 31st 05, 02:46 AM
WAIT! DON'T DO THAT

gimmie that! what in the world are ya'll reading.

if it makes you bam, I don't think id be reading it

whitershadeofpale
October 31st 05, 02:59 AM
ok, I went there, Iiiii see what yall mean..

however, I did find 90 sheets of resume' paper being given away! :)

They have tons of stuff for free!