PDA

View Full Version : Very smelly female cat urine .......

Hurrikane
October 26th 05, 12:48 PM
Hello there all.

I haven't been around for ages & do apologise if this subject has been
covered before.

We have a female cat that we bought from Cats Protection League about a year
ago - she was one of 14 cats rescued from a lady suffering with Alzheimer's
& she is the most affectionate cat I have ever seen - she follows me
everywhere, bless her.

Now the problem we have is that her urine is making me wretch every time I
clean her litter out ! I am always cleaning her litter - maybe 3-4 times a
day, so its not a case of festering urine ;-) The smell hasn't always made
me wretch, just from the past week or so.

We haven't changed her litter brand at all & she is behaving normally -
eating & drinking well.

I am just wondering if anyone knows of any cat illness that can cause a very
strong ammonia smell - strong enough to make me wretch - I have to hold my
breath whilst cleaning her litter !

Thanks in advance for any light anyone can shed on our smelly urine problem
:-)

Wendy
October 26th 05, 01:57 PM
"Hurrikane" > wrote in message
> Hello there all.
>
> I haven't been around for ages & do apologise if this subject has been
> covered before.
>
> We have a female cat that we bought from Cats Protection League about a
> year
> ago - she was one of 14 cats rescued from a lady suffering with
> Alzheimer's
> & she is the most affectionate cat I have ever seen - she follows me
> everywhere, bless her.
>
> Now the problem we have is that her urine is making me wretch every time I
> clean her litter out ! I am always cleaning her litter - maybe 3-4 times
> day, so its not a case of festering urine ;-) The smell hasn't always
> made
> me wretch, just from the past week or so.
>
> We haven't changed her litter brand at all & she is behaving normally -
> eating & drinking well.
>
> I am just wondering if anyone knows of any cat illness that can cause a
> very
> strong ammonia smell - strong enough to make me wretch - I have to hold my
> breath whilst cleaning her litter !
>
> Thanks in advance for any light anyone can shed on our smelly urine
> problem
> :-)

The cat is spayed - right?

Phil P.
October 26th 05, 05:03 PM
"Hurrikane" > wrote in message
> Hello there all.
>
> I haven't been around for ages & do apologise if this subject has been
> covered before.
>
> We have a female cat that we bought from Cats Protection League about a
year
> ago - she was one of 14 cats rescued from a lady suffering with
Alzheimer's
> & she is the most affectionate cat I have ever seen - she follows me
> everywhere, bless her.
>
> Now the problem we have is that her urine is making me wretch every time I
> clean her litter out ! I am always cleaning her litter - maybe 3-4 times
> day, so its not a case of festering urine ;-) The smell hasn't always
made
> me wretch, just from the past week or so.
>
> We haven't changed her litter brand at all & she is behaving normally -
> eating & drinking well.
>
> I am just wondering if anyone knows of any cat illness that can cause a
very
> strong ammonia smell -

An ammonia odor is usually the result of bacteria reacting with urea in the
urine. Bacterial urinary tract infections are actually uncommon in cats due
to multiple host defense mechanisms. Thus, I suggest you have the cat
examined- along with bloodwork and a complete urinalysis- to look for an
underlying disease that might be leaving her susceptible to UTI. Make sure
the urine sample is taken directly from the bladder to avoid contamination
with bacteria that normally inhabit the distal urinary tract.

From your message, I get the impression that she is urinating a little too
much. This can be caused by diabetes and kidney disease- both of which
affect the antibacterial properties of feline urine. So, you might want to
mention these possibilities to your vet.

Best of luck,

Phil