PDA

View Full Version : Re: Cloudy Eye in one eyed Cat

MaryL
October 28th 05, 03:55 AM
"whezrsfriend" > wrote in message
<snip>
> The other eye is starting to get cloudy-like a dull milky film. What
> meds can I order from a vet supply store to treat this eye so as to
> extend it's life? I hate to see this cat go totally blind and then I
> will have to put it to sleep I guess or let it suffer.
<snip>

No, No, No! I'm not responding to your question, but I do want to emphasize
the point that a cat *does not* need to be "put to sleep" merely because it
is blind, and your cat does not need to suffer. I speak from experience.
Duffy is totally blind, and he is a dear, sweet, good-natured cat -- and
also a remarkably happy and active cat. He is a little gymnast who loves to
climb, so he gets a great deal of exercise by using his "vertical space"
instead of running wildly through the house on a horizontal level. On the
other hand, he moves around the house so easily that I have had visitors who
watched him for 15 or 20 minutes before they realized he is blind. So,
*please* do not even consider euthanasia as an "option" even if your cat
loses sight in his other eye. If you look at the albums below my signature,
you can see Duffy at play.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Karen
October 28th 05, 04:53 AM
On 2005-10-27 21:55:58 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER> said:

> "whezrsfriend" > wrote in message
> <snip>
>> The other eye is starting to get cloudy-like a dull milky film. What
>> meds can I order from a vet supply store to treat this eye so as to
>> extend it's life? I hate to see this cat go totally blind and then I
>> will have to put it to sleep I guess or let it suffer.
> <snip>
>>

> No, No, No! I'm not responding to your question, but I do want to
> emphasize the point that a cat *does not* need to be "put to sleep"
> merely because it is blind, and your cat does not need to suffer. I
> speak from experience. Duffy is totally blind, and he is a dear, sweet,
> good-natured cat -- and also a remarkably happy and active cat. He is
> a little gymnast who loves to climb, so he gets a great deal of
> exercise by using his "vertical space" instead of running wildly
> through the house on a horizontal level. On the other hand, he moves
> around the house so easily that I have had visitors who watched him for
> 15 or 20 minutes before they realized he is blind. So, *please* do not
> even consider euthanasia as an "option" even if your cat loses sight in
> his other eye. If you look at the albums below my signature, you can
> see Duffy at play.
>
> MaryL
>
> Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
> http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
> http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

We had a cat that got cataracts as he got older. He was blind several
years and got around fine. I could even get him to "play" with a pencil
or stick by tickling his whiskers. He totally will adjust if he goes
blind. We just didn't move the furniture much.

No More Retail
October 28th 05, 04:57 AM
We have a blind cat at the shelter; he stays in the play area of the staff
building. The kids love Charley to death they find it " cool " that he can
be blind and still play like a kitten. He knows when I walk in the door and
he comes a meowing; he knows I carry treats in my pockets for my four legged
children. When my wife comes in she better have her hands free or Charley
will trip her up into she picks him up. YES WE SPOIL THE CHILDREN