PDA

View Full Version : How do I "set back" Amber?

---MIKE---
October 29th 05, 11:40 PM
Tonight we set the clocks back one hour. My problem is that Amber
usually wakes me up about 5AM. That's OK because I usually get up about
that time. Tomorrow (and for the next six months) what Amber thinks is
5 will actually be 4. I DON'T want to get up that early. I will
explain this to her but I doubt if it will do any good.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

.oO rach Oo.
October 30th 05, 12:24 AM
Our cats are triggered by the alarm in the morning. Now that the time will
change, they likely will as well. In saying that, my husband and I believe
the older cat has an atomic clock built in her as she will start fussing if
the alarm doesn't go off (like on weekends) and will give us 10 minutes to
get moving. If we do not, she starts eating my hair, meowing, scratching the
window screen etc. We just set her outside the door until she starts pawing
at that and we just give up.

Is your cat triggered by your alarm? If so, that may make things easier. If
not, I think she will likely take the hint.

--
..oO rach Oo.

"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
Tonight we set the clocks back one hour. My problem is that Amber
usually wakes me up about 5AM. That's OK because I usually get up about
that time. Tomorrow (and for the next six months) what Amber thinks is
5 will actually be 4. I DON'T want to get up that early. I will
explain this to her but I doubt if it will do any good.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Snittens
October 30th 05, 01:49 AM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
Tonight we set the clocks back one hour. My problem is that Amber
usually wakes me up about 5AM. That's OK because I usually get up about
that time. Tomorrow (and for the next six months) what Amber thinks is
5 will actually be 4. I DON'T want to get up that early. I will
explain this to her but I doubt if it will do any good.
----------------

I got an automatic feeder a few years ago to solve this problem. This takes
the association of being fed away from the humans and they learn that food
comes from the feeder. It's worked for the most part, they don't bug me so
much in the morning.

--
-Kelly

Lumpy
October 30th 05, 01:19 AM
"Diane" > wrote:

> Speak slowly. :)
> --

<G>

No More Retail
October 30th 05, 06:16 AM
water filled spray bottle works every time

*
*
*
*
*
*

just kidding :-) maybe

CountryStuff
October 30th 05, 10:14 AM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
Tonight we set the clocks back one hour. My problem is that Amber
usually wakes me up about 5AM. That's OK because I usually get up about
that time. Tomorrow (and for the next six months) what Amber thinks is
5 will actually be 4. I DON'T want to get up that early. I will
explain this to her but I doubt if it will do any good.

*rubs eyes*, I uhh feel your pain !!
Me awake at ...well I have not changed the clocks back but its 5:12, so
really it's 4:12...grrrrrrrr. ;)
me over in N.E.O.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

whitershadeofpale
October 30th 05, 01:24 PM
---MIKE--- wrote:
DON'T want to get up that early. I will
> explain this to her but I doubt if it will do any good.

har har

bookbug2005
October 30th 05, 07:12 PM
I've recently learned that my cat, Charley, is psychic. You see, I
just wasn't giving him the message the right way. He was fond of
meowing, not only in the morning, but whenever it suited his fancy,
which could be anywhere from 1-3AM. He thought that would be a great
time for me to get up and play. I decided he needed some negative
reinforcement, so when he meowed in the middle of the night, I nailed
him with my feather pillow. I did it two nights in a row and wondered
how long I'd have to give the lesson. ON the 3rd night, as I lay down,
I kept up the mantra in my head. "Keep your mouth shut or I'm going to
get you with the pillow" Charley hasn't meowed in the middle of the
night since. So now I don't have to throw the pillow, I just have to
think about it.

Michelle (Yes, I can hear the Twilight Zone music ;-)

whitershadeofpale
October 30th 05, 10:08 PM
bookbug2005 wrote:

> Michelle (Yes, I can hear the Twilight Zone music ;-)

maybe he is...

but maybe he is just smart and got the message

hope you didn't hit him with the pillow and it knock him against an old
door stop and he hit his head or something

whitershadeofpale
October 30th 05, 10:14 PM
just kidding! :)

Paul M. Cook
October 30th 05, 11:09 PM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
Tonight we set the clocks back one hour. My problem is that Amber
usually wakes me up about 5AM. That's OK because I usually get up about
that time. Tomorrow (and for the next six months) what Amber thinks is
5 will actually be 4. I DON'T want to get up that early. I will
explain this to her but I doubt if it will do any good.

Would a wrist watch help?

Paul

DevilsPGD
October 30th 05, 11:32 PM
In message >
(---MIKE---) wrote:

>Tonight we set the clocks back one hour. My problem is that Amber
>usually wakes me up about 5AM. That's OK because I usually get up about
>that time. Tomorrow (and for the next six months) what Amber thinks is
>5 will actually be 4. I DON'T want to get up that early. I will
>explain this to her but I doubt if it will do any good.

You just have to find the timezone settings. Difficult with long haired
cats, but with the short hair models you can usually find the controls.

--
Tonight on eye on Springfield: Just miles from your doorstep, hundreds
of men are given weapons and trained to kill. The government calls it

5cats
October 31st 05, 12:46 AM
Paul M. Cook wrote:

> "---MIKE---" > wrote in message
> Tonight we set the clocks back one hour. My problem is that Amber
> usually wakes me up about 5AM. That's OK because I usually get up
about
> that time. Tomorrow (and for the next six months) what Amber thinks is
> 5 will actually be 4. I DON'T want to get up that early. I will
> explain this to her but I doubt if it will do any good.
>

> Would a wrist watch help?
>
> Paul

This seems to be a lost cause. They are all gathered around asking for
dinner (over an hour early by MY clock.) Even the shy one has swatted me
on the knee, that's how convinced he is that I'm late.

Sigh.

bookbug2005
October 31st 05, 02:02 AM
Actually, Charley is very smart--sometimes too smart for his own
good--so maybe he got the message with only two feather pillow
treatments. But I like the psychic version better. ;-)

And no, I'd never do anything to actually cause Charley pain--just
surprise him a bit.

Michelle

Phil P.
October 31st 05, 03:35 AM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
>Tonight we set the clocks back one hour. My problem is that Amber
usually wakes me up about 5AM. That's OK because I usually get up about
that time. Tomorrow (and for the next six months) what Amber thinks is
5 will actually be 4. I DON'T want to get up that early. I will
>explain this to her but I doubt if it will do any good.

Since she's living indoors under artificial light, she should adjust to your
new schedule in a week or two.

Cats are crepuscular (actually matutinal and vespertine) so they usually
adjust their routine to the change of seasons- shorter/longer days- not the
actual time. But living indoors under artificial light throws off their
biological clocks. Its kinda similar to cycling intact females that live
outdoors- they only cycle in season whereas indoor intact females can cycle
all year round- its the light- not the time.

Phil

5cats
October 31st 05, 02:02 PM
Phil P. wrote:

> "---MIKE---" > wrote in message
>>Tonight we set the clocks back one hour. My problem is that Amber
> usually wakes me up about 5AM. That's OK because I usually get up
> about that time. Tomorrow (and for the next six months) what Amber
> thinks is 5 will actually be 4. I DON'T want to get up that early. I
> will
>>explain this to her but I doubt if it will do any good.
>

> Since she's living indoors under artificial light, she should adjust
> to your new schedule in a week or two.
>
> Cats are crepuscular (actually matutinal and vespertine) so they
> usually adjust their routine to the change of seasons- shorter/longer
> days- not the actual time. But living indoors under artificial light
> throws off their biological clocks. Its kinda similar to cycling
> intact females that live outdoors- they only cycle in season whereas
> indoor intact females can cycle all year round- its the light- not the
> time.
>
> Phil

Even indoors, mine are up with the sunrise. Actually, more like at the
first light of day even. I had a few 4:30 wake-up pounces this summer.
Now, with the gloomy late fall mornings they let me sleep in late some
mornings.

Phil P.
October 31st 05, 02:33 PM
"5cats" > wrote in message
> Phil P. wrote:
>

> > "---MIKE---" > wrote in message
> >>Tonight we set the clocks back one hour. My problem is that Amber
> > usually wakes me up about 5AM. That's OK because I usually get up
> > about that time. Tomorrow (and for the next six months) what Amber
> > thinks is 5 will actually be 4. I DON'T want to get up that early. I
> > will
> >>explain this to her but I doubt if it will do any good.
> >

> > Since she's living indoors under artificial light, she should adjust
> > to your new schedule in a week or two.
> >
> > Cats are crepuscular (actually matutinal and vespertine) so they
> > usually adjust their routine to the change of seasons- shorter/longer
> > days- not the actual time. But living indoors under artificial light
> > throws off their biological clocks. Its kinda similar to cycling
> > intact females that live outdoors- they only cycle in season whereas
> > indoor intact females can cycle all year round- its the light- not the
> > time.
> >
> > Phil
> >

> Even indoors, mine are up with the sunrise. Actually, more like at the
> first light of day even.

In any season, right? Even though the time of the sunrises change. My two
former ferals do the same, but my indoor-raised cats don't seem to come to
life until someone goes into the kitchen- not the bathroom- not the living
room- only the kitchen. They never learned to read the sun. ;-)

I had a few 4:30 wake-up pounces this summer.
> Now, with the gloomy late fall mornings they let me sleep in late some
> mornings.

Doncha just love some of the wild instincts they retained? ;-)

Phil

5cats
October 31st 05, 03:27 PM
Phil P. wrote:

> "5cats" > wrote in message
>> Phil P. wrote:

>> > usually wakes me up about 5AM. That's OK because I usually get up
>> > about that time. Tomorrow (and for the next six months) what Amber
>> > thinks is 5 will actually be 4. I DON'T want to get up that early.
>> > I will
>> >

>> > Since she's living indoors under artificial light, she should
>> > adjust to your new schedule in a week or two.
>> >
>> > Cats are crepuscular (actually matutinal and vespertine) so they
>> > usually adjust their routine to the change of seasons-
>> > shorter/longer days- not the actual time. But living indoors under
>> > artificial light throws off their biological clocks. Its kinda
>> > similar to cycling intact females that live outdoors- they only
>> > cycle in season whereas indoor intact females can cycle all year
>> > round- its the light- not the time.
>> >
>> > Phil
>> >

>> Even indoors, mine are up with the sunrise. Actually, more like at
>> the first light of day even.
>
> In any season, right? Even though the time of the sunrises change.
> My two former ferals do the same, but my indoor-raised cats don't seem
> to come to life until someone goes into the kitchen- not the bathroom-
> not the living room- only the kitchen. They never learned to read the
> sun. ;-)

It's more evident during the summer, as both the living room and my
bedroom will get full morning light before I wake up. The last few weeks
before the end of DST I had the room lights on before it was light
outside and that will be the case again in mid-winter.

> I had a few 4:30 wake-up pounces this summer.
>> Now, with the gloomy late fall mornings they let me sleep in late
>> some mornings.
>
> Doncha just love some of the wild instincts they retained? ;-)

I could do without 4:30 wakeup pounces, but overall, I find their
behaviors and interactions very fascinating. Especially in Max who seems
just a little closer to his wild ancestors than the others.

I know George was born and raised indoors, 3 of the others I got as older
kittens or young adults but they must have been outside cats judging by
their well-developed hunting skills.

cybercat
October 31st 05, 05:15 PM
"Phil P." > wrote:

> > > Cats are crepuscular [..]
> >
> > Even indoors, mine are up with the sunrise. Actually, more like at the
> > first light of day even.
>
> In any season, right? Even though the time of the sunrises change. My
two
> former ferals do the same, but my indoor-raised cats don't seem to come to
> life until someone goes into the kitchen- not the bathroom- not the living
> room- only the kitchen. They never learned to read the sun. ;-)
>

> I had a few 4:30 wake-up pounces this summer.
> > Now, with the gloomy late fall mornings they let me sleep in late some
> > mornings.
>
> Doncha just love some of the wild instincts they retained? ;-)
>
> Phil

Both of my cats, former ferals, are crazy wild at dusk and
dawn. I love to see them that way, and allow extra time so that I
can get up when they do, play, and go back to bed to get enough
sleep. My little 7-lb tabby girl is wildest of all, maybe because she
is younger. After we play with the feather on a string that bored
her at midnight but thrills her at dawn I open the bedroom window
and she blisses out on the birds beginning to sing. If I am too tired
and try to roll over and go back to sleep she blows me off and
gathers the comforter in to a ball and kicks it to death, hunkers
down and pounces on nothing, misjudging the edge of the bed and
going sailing into the pile of giftboxes on the big chair, then plays
kangaroo kitty on the top of my pillow until I have to wake up
and play with her. It's my favorite time of day, catwise. :)

Phil P.
October 31st 05, 06:03 PM
"5cats" > wrote in message
> Phil P. wrote:

> >> Even indoors, mine are up with the sunrise. Actually, more like at
> >> the first light of day even.
> >
> > In any season, right? Even though the time of the sunrises change.
> > My two former ferals do the same, but my indoor-raised cats don't seem
> > to come to life until someone goes into the kitchen- not the bathroom-
> > not the living room- only the kitchen. They never learned to read the
> > sun. ;-)
>
> It's more evident during the summer, as both the living room and my
> bedroom will get full morning light before I wake up. The last few weeks
> before the end of DST I had the room lights on before it was light
> outside and that will be the case again in mid-winter.
>

> > I had a few 4:30 wake-up pounces this summer.
> >> Now, with the gloomy late fall mornings they let me sleep in late
> >> some mornings.
> >
> > Doncha just love some of the wild instincts they retained? ;-)
> >

> I could do without 4:30 wakeup pounces, but overall, I find their
> behaviors and interactions very fascinating. Especially in Max who seems
> just a little closer to his wild ancestors than the others.

I love watching cats- especially ferals. I love the repertoire of facial
expressions and body postures they use to communicate with each other. Every
colony seems to have their own culture and little community- even the cats
in the shelter. I can spend the whole day watching them- sometimes I do!
Utterly fascinating- even after >45 years.

> I know George was born and raised indoors, 3 of the others I got as older
> kittens or young adults but they must have been outside cats judging by
> their well-developed hunting skills.

If their mother was a good teacher, they can kill prey by the time they're
5-7 weeks old. Their hunting skills are definitely related to what their
mother taught them.

I love all my cats dearly- but my 2 former ferals are definitely smarter
than my indoor-raised cats. I often hide their food and let them 'hunt' for
it. The former ferals always find and get the food first. Sometimes I put
the food in difficult places and I can actually see them figuring out how to
get to it. Fascinating to watch.

Phil P.
October 31st 05, 06:05 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> > > Even indoors, mine are up with the sunrise. Actually, more like at the
> > > first light of day even.
> >
> > In any season, right? Even though the time of the sunrises change. My
> two
> > former ferals do the same, but my indoor-raised cats don't seem to come
> > life until someone goes into the kitchen- not the bathroom- not the
living
> > room- only the kitchen. They never learned to read the sun. ;-)
> >

> > I had a few 4:30 wake-up pounces this summer.
> > > Now, with the gloomy late fall mornings they let me sleep in late some
> > > mornings.
> >
> > Doncha just love some of the wild instincts they retained? ;-)
> >
> > Phil
> >

> Both of my cats, former ferals, are crazy wild at dusk and
> dawn. I love to see them that way,

Oh yeah! I love to see their wild side.

and allow extra time so that I
> can get up when they do, play, and go back to bed to get enough
> sleep. My little 7-lb tabby girl is wildest of all, maybe because she
> is younger. After we play with the feather on a string that bored
> her at midnight but thrills her at dawn I open the bedroom window
> and she blisses out on the birds beginning to sing. If I am too tired
> and try to roll over and go back to sleep she blows me off and
> gathers the comforter in to a ball and kicks it to death, hunkers
> down and pounces on nothing, misjudging the edge of the bed and
> going sailing into the pile of giftboxes on the big chair, then plays
> kangaroo kitty on the top of my pillow until I have to wake up
> and play with her. It's my favorite time of day, catwise. :)

Here's the perfect toy- better than a laser pointer because the cats can
actually catch it. They look so proud when they finally catch it!

http://www.maxshouse.com/Environmental_Enrichment/catfisher-w-suggie.jpg

I can lie in bed and cast the lure down the hallway (it has a 40' range) and
reel it back- and jerk it away just as they're ready to pounce on it. I
don't know how many meetings I've been late for or missed because I was
having so much fun fishing for cats!

cybercat
October 31st 05, 06:43 PM
"Phil P." > wrote:

> Here's the perfect toy- better than a laser pointer because the cats can
> actually catch it. They look so proud when they finally catch it!
>
> http://www.maxshouse.com/Environmental_Enrichment/catfisher-w-suggie.jpg
>
> I can lie in bed and cast the lure down the hallway (it has a 40' range)
and
> reel it back- and jerk it away just as they're ready to pounce on it. I
> don't know how many meetings I've been late for or missed because I was
> having so much fun fishing for cats!

Aughghghghhhh!! Where can I get one??!!

Phil P.
November 1st 05, 09:19 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote:
> >
> > Here's the perfect toy- better than a laser pointer because the cats can
> > actually catch it. They look so proud when they finally catch it!
> >
> > http://www.maxshouse.com/Environmental_Enrichment/catfisher-w-suggie.jpg
> >
> > I can lie in bed and cast the lure down the hallway (it has a 40' range)
> and
> > reel it back- and jerk it away just as they're ready to pounce on it. I
> > don't know how many meetings I've been late for or missed because I was
> > having so much fun fishing for cats!
> >

> Aughghghghhhh!! Where can I get one??!!

Petco- $25- worth every penny. You can buy it online from

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp143265_333181_sespider/bamboo_play_catfisher/cat_toy_fishing_rod_and_real.htm

for $19 with free shipping.

Enjoy!

John Doe
November 1st 05, 10:10 AM
Be advised that drugstore.com will spam you.

cybercat
November 1st 05, 04:20 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Phil P." > wrote:
> > >
> > > Here's the perfect toy- better than a laser pointer because the cats
can
> > > actually catch it. They look so proud when they finally catch it!

http://www.maxshouse.com/Environmental_Enrichment/catfisher-w-suggie.jpg

> > > I can lie in bed and cast the lure down the hallway (it has a 40'
range)
> > and
> > > reel it back- and jerk it away just as they're ready to pounce on it.
> > > don't know how many meetings I've been late for or missed because I
was
> > > having so much fun fishing for cats!
> > >

> > Aughghghghhhh!! Where can I get one??!!
>

> Petco- $25- worth every penny. You can buy it online from

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp143265_333181_sespider/bamboo_play_catfisher/cat_toy_fishing_rod_and_real.htm

> for $19 with free shipping.

Yay! I will order several, one for me and some for Christmas gifts. Thanks!

Phil P.
November 1st 05, 05:38 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message

> can
> > > >

> http://www.maxshouse.com/Environmental_Enrichment/catfisher-w-suggie.jpg

> range)
> > > and
> was
> > > >

> > > Aughghghghhhh!! Where can I get one??!!
> >

> > Petco- $25- worth every penny. You can buy it online from

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp143265_333181_sespider/bamboo_play_catfisher/cat_toy_fishing_rod_and_real.htm

> > for $19 with free shipping.
> >

> Yay! I will order several, one for me and some for Christmas gifts.
Thanks!

There's gonna be some happy cats in town.

Phil P.
November 1st 05, 05:39 PM
"John Doe" > wrote in message
> Be advised that drugstore.com will spam you.

Not as much as you do with your all your "troll" posts that *includes* the
spam you're complaining about.