PDA

View Full Version : Do all cats experience the "lower back" response?

Mike
October 31st 05, 04:24 AM
Every cat I have ever known seems to react negatively to being scratched on
their lower back, just before the tail. Some cats seem paralyzed by the
action, while others openly complain and jump away.

What is it with this area of the lower back that makes cats react this way?

Paul M. Cook
October 31st 05, 05:01 AM
"Mike" > wrote in message
> Every cat I have ever known seems to react negatively to being scratched
on
> their lower back, just before the tail. Some cats seem paralyzed by the
> action, while others openly complain and jump away.
>
> What is it with this area of the lower back that makes cats react this
way?

That is called elevator butt. Some cats don't respond, some do. It's a
sensitive area for them, lots of nerve endings near the base of the tail.

Paul

Phil P.
October 31st 05, 05:05 AM
"Mike" > wrote in message
> Every cat I have ever known seems to react negatively to being scratched
on
> their lower back, just before the tail. Some cats seem paralyzed by the
> action, while others openly complain and jump away.
>
> What is it with this area of the lower back that makes cats react this
way?

The spinal (dorsal root) ganglion- its a bunch of nerves that form a nerve
center at the base of the cat's spine, plus other nerves. Some cats lick
their lips frantically when you scratch them back there - which also makes
them swallow pills easily. It doesn't work on every cat- some cats are more
sensitive back there than others.

Phil

Frank Pittel
October 31st 05, 04:56 PM
Mike > wrote:
: Every cat I have ever known seems to react negatively to being scratched on
: their lower back, just before the tail. Some cats seem paralyzed by the
: action, while others openly complain and jump away.

: What is it with this area of the lower back that makes cats react this way?

All the cat I have love it when I scratch them on their back by the tail.

--

-------------------

-L.
October 31st 05, 05:00 PM
Mike wrote:
> Every cat I have ever known seems to react negatively to being scratched on
> their lower back, just before the tail. Some cats seem paralyzed by the
> action, while others openly complain and jump away.

My cats love it.

> What is it with this area of the lower back that makes cats react this way?

Fighting cats will try to inflict a fatal would by biting their
adverasary in the badse of the tail. An infection in the spine at that
popint almost never heals. Perhaps there is some inate protective
response that makes them respond this way.

-L.

Jim Vecchiola
October 31st 05, 07:13 PM
Can't explain it - but my two cats are different from those you
mentioned. My female lies down and wants her back and stomach
scratched/rubbed - when I transfer the scratching to the base of her
tail, she arches her back, closes her eyes, and seems to "enjoy the
trip". My male reacts differently - he raises his backside, lowers his
front paws and front end - looks like a female inviting a friendly male
for some "company".

KR2T
Mike wrote:

> Every cat I have ever known seems to react negatively to being scratched on
> their lower back, just before the tail. Some cats seem paralyzed by the
> action, while others openly complain and jump away.
>
> What is it with this area of the lower back that makes cats react this way?

whitershadeofpale
October 31st 05, 10:54 PM
My customers cat today, I tried it out on her, she loves it

I'm going to see if I can get a pic of her too, she is a beautiful cat
rescued from a Hardees parking lot. She is black with all sorts of
gold streaks..and super bright green eyes, extremely verbal.

She came and set with me today while I was taking a break

Rebecca Root
November 1st 05, 12:44 AM
On 2005-10-30 21:24:49 -0700, "Mike" > said:

> Every cat I have ever known seems to react negatively to being
> scratched on their lower back, just before the tail. Some cats seem
> paralyzed by the action, while others openly complain and jump away.
>
> What is it with this area of the lower back that makes cats react this way?

My cats have always loved it. Most will keep elevating their bottom
until they fall over due to failure to levitate.

Shardonay
November 2nd 05, 03:07 PM
My neutered male cat LOVES the base of his tail scratched. He'll even
turn his butt towards me and flick his tail back and forth to invite me
to scratch it!