PDA

View Full Version : Is Halloween dangerous for strays?

Ajanta
October 31st 05, 07:26 PM
While stary cats face certain dangers all the time, I am wondering if
Halloween atmosphere increses those risks?

I ask because I feed a stray cat that show up late afternoon and leaves
in 1-2 hours. If Halloween evening would increase any risk to her, I
could try to lure her into staying longer. Tricks I am considering
include feeding her late and trying to entertain her somehow. :-)
Actually I am sure I could delay her departure by a few hours if that
was desirable.

October 31st 05, 07:44 PM
Ajanta wrote:
> While stary cats face certain dangers all the time, I am wondering if
> Halloween atmosphere increses those risks?
>
> I ask because I feed a stray cat that show up late afternoon and leaves
> in 1-2 hours. If Halloween evening would increase any risk to her, I
> could try to lure her into staying longer. Tricks I am considering
> include feeding her late and trying to entertain her somehow. :-)
> Actually I am sure I could delay her departure by a few hours if that
> was desirable.

IMO, Halloween does present an increased risk to roaming cats. It would
be great if you could keep her safe.
Also IMO the greatest risk is not from Satanic cults or occult
followers like we always think about. It's from mean kids/adults who
are just out looking for meanness. It's a bad night to be a cat.

Sherry

No More Retail
October 31st 05, 08:48 PM
go to www.hsus.org they have information tonight on their website
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Ajanta wrote:
>> While stary cats face certain dangers all the time, I am wondering if
>> Halloween atmosphere increses those risks?
>>
>> I ask because I feed a stray cat that show up late afternoon and leaves
>> in 1-2 hours. If Halloween evening would increase any risk to her, I
>> could try to lure her into staying longer. Tricks I am considering
>> include feeding her late and trying to entertain her somehow. :-)
>> Actually I am sure I could delay her departure by a few hours if that
>> was desirable.
>
> IMO, Halloween does present an increased risk to roaming cats. It would
> be great if you could keep her safe.
> Also IMO the greatest risk is not from Satanic cults or occult
> followers like we always think about. It's from mean kids/adults who
> are just out looking for meanness. It's a bad night to be a cat.
>
> Sherry

Ajanta
October 31st 05, 11:01 PM
No More Retail > wrote:

: go to www.hsus.org they have information tonight on their
: website

I couldn't find anything. Do you have the exact url of the page?

Ajanta
October 31st 05, 11:04 PM

: Ajanta wrote:
: > While stary cats face certain dangers all the time, I am wondering if
: > Halloween atmosphere increses those risks?
: >
: > I ask because I feed a stray cat that show up late afternoon and leaves
: > in 1-2 hours. If Halloween evening would increase any risk to her, I
: > could try to lure her into staying longer. Tricks I am considering
: > include feeding her late and trying to entertain her somehow. :-)
: > Actually I am sure I could delay her departure by a few hours if that
: > was desirable.
:
: IMO, Halloween does present an increased risk to roaming cats. It would
: be great if you could keep her safe...It's a bad night to be a cat.

I'll try to keep her indoors as long as possible. Better safe than
sorry.

rrb
October 31st 05, 11:22 PM
Ajanta wrote:
> No More Retail > wrote:
>
> : go to www.hsus.org they have information tonight on their
> : website
>
> I couldn't find anything. Do you have the exact url of the page?

I could not find anything at the hsus site either. Nothing is listed on
the main page, and their search engine does not work. At the aspca site
they have this information:
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pets_halloween

I would keep the stray cat in until at least tomorrow - longer if possible.

5cats
November 1st 05, 12:12 AM
Ajanta wrote:

> I'll try to keep her indoors as long as possible. Better safe than
> sorry.

Good plan.

No More Retail
November 1st 05, 12:43 AM
http://www.hsus.org/press_and_publications/press_releases/tricks_and_treats_can_be_trying_for_pets_at_hallow een.html

on their site up in the left corner in search just type in Halloween
there are several other discussions about it

but the ASPCA one is just as good

Ajanta
November 1st 05, 07:00 AM
I > wrote:

: I feed a stray cat that show up late afternoon and leaves
: in 1-2 hours. If Halloween evening would increase any risk to her, I
: could try to lure her into staying longer. Tricks I am considering
: include feeding her late and trying to entertain her somehow. :-)
: Actually I am sure I could delay her departure by a few hours if that
: was desirable.

I am happy to report that it worked out beautifully. She arrived around
5pm. Usually she would have eaten right away, lounged around for 1-2
hours and left. However, I divided her meal into four portions and fed
at 45min-1hr intervals. In between I kept her busy with TV (she likes
watching TV). Around 9:30pm I was running out of tricks and she was
impatient to leave, but weather helped and there was light rain
outside, so she stayed in the porch area and later came back in again.
Finally she left around midnight, after one big snack. I am sure she is
safe, a bit overfed, but sleeping in her usual spot somewhere.

Phil P.
November 1st 05, 10:13 AM
"Ajanta" > wrote in message
> I > wrote:
>
> : I feed a stray cat that show up late afternoon and leaves
> : in 1-2 hours. If Halloween evening would increase any risk to her, I
> : could try to lure her into staying longer. Tricks I am considering
> : include feeding her late and trying to entertain her somehow. :-)
> : Actually I am sure I could delay her departure by a few hours if that
> : was desirable.
>
> I am happy to report that it worked out beautifully. She arrived around
> 5pm. Usually she would have eaten right away, lounged around for 1-2
> hours and left. However, I divided her meal into four portions and fed
> at 45min-1hr intervals. In between I kept her busy with TV (she likes
> watching TV). Around 9:30pm I was running out of tricks and she was
> impatient to leave, but weather helped and there was light rain
> outside, so she stayed in the porch area and later came back in again.
> Finally she left around midnight, after one big snack. I am sure she is
> safe, a bit overfed, but sleeping in her usual spot somewhere.

I hope so. I've been out since dark guarding my colonies- literally.

I dread Halloween every year. I don't place any black cats for almost the
entire month and only place cats with previous adoptives or people I know
very well.

I wish Halloween could be cancelled- Most parents are too paranoid to let
their kids trick or treat, anyway or eat the candy because they're afraid it
might be poisoned- which it very well could be!. Ridiculous holiday with an
even more ridiculous history.

-L.
November 1st 05, 12:02 PM
Phil P. wrote:
> I wish Halloween could be cancelled- Most parents are too paranoid to let
> their kids trick or treat, anyway or eat the candy because they're afraid it
> might be poisoned- which it very well could be!.

Maybe where you live....we had over 120 ToTers tonight.

> Ridiculous holiday with an
> even more ridiculous history.

Not if you are Pagan.

Halloween rocks! We love Halloween and everyone here does it, big
time. It's our favorite Holiday.

-L.

Joe Canuck
November 1st 05, 01:30 PM
-L. wrote:

> Phil P. wrote:
>
>>I wish Halloween could be cancelled- Most parents are too paranoid to let
>>their kids trick or treat, anyway or eat the candy because they're afraid it
>>might be poisoned- which it very well could be!.
>

> Maybe where you live....we had over 120 ToTers tonight.
>

>>Ridiculous holiday with an
>>even more ridiculous history.
>

> Not if you are Pagan.
>
> Halloween rocks! We love Halloween and everyone here does it, big
> time. It's our favorite Holiday.
>
> -L.

It is important to not send the message to kids that black cats, or any
kind of cat, is a target for pranks around Halloween.

There is so much fear on the part of parents now regarding Halloween
that many of them are afraid to let their kids go out or consume the
goodies collected... even those that look packaged could have been
tampered with. There are some really sick people around.

On some music show last evening the hosts were carrying around a black
cat as they pranced about in front of the cameras... the cat was
obviously extremely nervous and perhaps frightened what with all the
people and noise around. The poor cat was being used as a prop without
consideration for it's well-being! I'm thinking they may get many
complaints about that and won't repeat it next year.

shortfuse
November 1st 05, 02:06 PM
My husband and I sat out and handed out candy. I was concerned about our
"live in" stray who sleeps out in the front in a cat carrier-house for her.
She was on top last night watching all the kids come up. Some wanted to pet
her...She is cute...A calico bobtail,,But she is leery of strangers.But she
made it thru the night...
"Diane" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Joe Canuck > wrote:
>
>> On some music show last evening the hosts were carrying around a black
>> cat as they pranced about in front of the cameras... the cat was
>> obviously extremely nervous and perhaps frightened what with all the
>> people and noise around. The poor cat was being used as a prop without
>> consideration for it's well-being! I'm thinking they may get many
>> complaints about that and won't repeat it next year.
>
> They'll claim it was CGI or something.
> --
> Web site: http://www.slywy.com/
> Message board: http://www.slywy.com/phpBB2/
> Journal: http://slywy.diaryland.com/

shortfuse
November 1st 05, 02:22 PM
Last year while my husband and I were away in NY over Halloween, we learned
that my sister's 18 yr old black cat was run over on Halloween...It was kind
of ironic but it saddened me...even though the cat was old, did not give any
one a right to run over him.
"Joe Canuck" > wrote in message
> -L. wrote:
>
>> Phil P. wrote:
>>
>>>I wish Halloween could be cancelled- Most parents are too paranoid to let
>>>their kids trick or treat, anyway or eat the candy because they're afraid
>>>it
>>>might be poisoned- which it very well could be!.
>>

>> Maybe where you live....we had over 120 ToTers tonight.
>>

>>>Ridiculous holiday with an
>>>even more ridiculous history.
>>

>> Not if you are Pagan.
>>
>> Halloween rocks! We love Halloween and everyone here does it, big
>> time. It's our favorite Holiday.
>>
>> -L.
>>

> It is important to not send the message to kids that black cats, or any
> kind of cat, is a target for pranks around Halloween.
>
> There is so much fear on the part of parents now regarding Halloween that
> many of them are afraid to let their kids go out or consume the goodies
> collected... even those that look packaged could have been tampered with.
> There are some really sick people around.
>
> On some music show last evening the hosts were carrying around a black cat
> as they pranced about in front of the cameras... the cat was obviously
> extremely nervous and perhaps frightened what with all the people and
> noise around. The poor cat was being used as a prop without consideration
> for it's well-being! I'm thinking they may get many complaints about that
> and won't repeat it next year.

November 1st 05, 03:32 PM
Phil P. wrote:
> "Ajanta" > wrote in message
> > I > wrote:
> >
> > : I feed a stray cat that show up late afternoon and leaves
> > : in 1-2 hours. If Halloween evening would increase any risk to her, I
> > : could try to lure her into staying longer. Tricks I am considering
> > : include feeding her late and trying to entertain her somehow. :-)
> > : Actually I am sure I could delay her departure by a few hours if that
> > : was desirable.
> >
> > I am happy to report that it worked out beautifully. She arrived around
> > 5pm. Usually she would have eaten right away, lounged around for 1-2
> > hours and left. However, I divided her meal into four portions and fed
> > at 45min-1hr intervals. In between I kept her busy with TV (she likes
> > watching TV). Around 9:30pm I was running out of tricks and she was
> > impatient to leave, but weather helped and there was light rain
> > outside, so she stayed in the porch area and later came back in again.
> > Finally she left around midnight, after one big snack. I am sure she is
> > safe, a bit overfed, but sleeping in her usual spot somewhere.
>

> I hope so. I've been out since dark guarding my colonies- literally.
>
> I dread Halloween every year. I don't place any black cats for almost the
> entire month and only place cats with previous adoptives or people I know
> very well.
>
> I wish Halloween could be cancelled- Most parents are too paranoid to let
> their kids trick or treat, anyway or eat the candy because they're afraid it
> might be poisoned- which it very well could be!. Ridiculous holiday with an
> even more ridiculous history.

Ajanta
November 1st 05, 05:41 PM
Phil P. > wrote:

: I hope so. I've been out since dark guarding my colonies- literally.

I find the dedication of people like you truly inspiring. Do you work
full time at a shelter or volunteering your free time?

As for "my" cat, my efforts and the weather kept her here almost past
all the halloween commotion in our area. Still, I was glad to see her
this morning. Being on the 3rd floor (highest in this block) gives me a
good view of about 5-6 backyards and I could see her sitting in one of
those. Happy sight.

Phil P.
November 1st 05, 06:34 PM
"Ajanta" > wrote in message
> Phil P. > wrote:
>
> : I hope so. I've been out since dark guarding my colonies- literally.
>
> I find the dedication of people like you truly inspiring. Do you work
> full time at a shelter or volunteering your free time?

A combination of both. I try to go to work in my free time for relaxation.

> As for "my" cat, my efforts and the weather kept her here almost past
> all the halloween commotion in our area. Still, I was glad to see her
> this morning.

I know how you feel!

Being on the 3rd floor (highest in this block) gives me a
> good view of about 5-6 backyards and I could see her sitting in one of
> those. Happy sight.

Is there was a chance of taking her in permanently?

carola
November 1st 05, 06:36 PM
: I am happy to report that it worked out beautifully. She arrived around
: 5pm. Usually she would have eaten right away, lounged around for 1-2
: hours and left. However, I divided her meal into four portions and fed
: at 45min-1hr intervals. In between I kept her busy with TV (she likes
: watching TV).

Any particular programme? LOL

: Around 9:30pm I was running out of tricks and she was
: impatient to leave, but weather helped and there was light rain
: outside, so she stayed in the porch area and later came back in again.
: Finally she left around midnight, after one big snack. I am sure she is
: safe, a bit overfed, but sleeping in her usual spot somewhere.

Well, pussycat seems to have had a purrfect Halloween evening :-)

In Europe (apart from England) we don't care much about Halloween.
Some people don't even know what it is about.

The Catholics are more concerned about Allsaints on 1st/2nd November.

carola

carola
November 1st 05, 06:37 PM
: I wish Halloween could be cancelled- Most parents are too paranoid to let
: their kids trick or treat, anyway or eat the candy because they're afraid
it
: might be poisoned- which it very well could be!. Ridiculous holiday with
an
: even more ridiculous history.
:

I don't quite understand: Why should the candy be poisoned?

carola

carola
November 1st 05, 06:38 PM
: Halloween rocks! We love Halloween and everyone here does it, big
: time. It's our favorite Holiday.
:
: -L.

Do you get time off work??
How many days?

carola

Phil P.
November 1st 05, 06:40 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Phil P. wrote:
> > I wish Halloween could be cancelled- Most parents are too paranoid to
let
> > their kids trick or treat, anyway or eat the candy because they're
afraid it
> > might be poisoned- which it very well could be!.
>
> Maybe where you live....we had over 120 ToTers tonight.
>
> > Ridiculous holiday with an
> > even more ridiculous history.
>
> Not if you are Pagan.
>
> Halloween rocks! We love Halloween and everyone here does it, big
> time. It's our favorite Holiday.
>
> -L.

Baa Humbug! ;-)

I worry too much about the cats on Halloween- I've seen some terrible things
done to cats 'for fun' on Halloween-especially black ones. I still think
its a ridiculous holiday.

P.

Phil P.
November 1st 05, 06:50 PM
"carola" > wrote in message

> : I wish Halloween could be cancelled- Most parents are too paranoid to
let
> : their kids trick or treat, anyway or eat the candy because they're
afraid
> it
> : might be poisoned- which it very well could be!. Ridiculous holiday
with
> an
> : even more ridiculous history.
> :
>

> I don't quite understand: Why should the candy be poisoned?

That's what the psychos do for fun.

alt4
November 1st 05, 07:28 PM
Any night can be bad, I'm thinking of the 4th of July. We had a stray
sitting opposite us on the porch so she was safe; our 6 were in the house,
someplace she doesn't want to go.

--
"Other than telling us how to live, think,
marry, pray, vote, invest, educate our
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Ajanta wrote:
>> While stary cats face certain dangers all the time, I am wondering if
>> Halloween atmosphere increses those risks?
>>
>> I ask because I feed a stray cat that show up late afternoon and leaves
>> in 1-2 hours. If Halloween evening would increase any risk to her, I
>> could try to lure her into staying longer. Tricks I am considering
>> include feeding her late and trying to entertain her somehow. :-)
>> Actually I am sure I could delay her departure by a few hours if that
>> was desirable.
>
> IMO, Halloween does present an increased risk to roaming cats. It would
> be great if you could keep her safe.
> Also IMO the greatest risk is not from Satanic cults or occult
> followers like we always think about. It's from mean kids/adults who
> are just out looking for meanness. It's a bad night to be a cat.
>
> Sherry

Ajanta
November 1st 05, 07:35 PM
Phil P. > wrote:

: Is there was a chance of taking her in permanently?

She visits and I feed her everyday but a few things would work against
her moving in permanently:

Some in our household are dead-set against litterbox in our small
apartment. However, nobody objects to her visiting for a couple of
hours, and I of course love her company.

From the cat's side, having lived as a free outdoor cat all or most of
her young life, she too seems resistant to staying indoors more than 2
hours. Other than pouring rain, nothing keeps her from moving on.

I don't know how it will be in the winter (I was overseas last winter).
Maybe, she would visit less frequently (if she is already comfortable
somewhere else) but stay longer when she does? I don't know, I am only
guessing.

She has considerably better life than a typical stray or alley cat. As
far as I can tell, she is one of only 2 strays, both well-accepted,
that live in this block of 8-10 buildings, mostly townhouses and
single-family homes and one apartment building, all with interconnected
backyards. I am sure she has access to several basements and sheds.
Only one house has a dog but she knows how to circumvent that yard.

Ajanta
November 1st 05, 07:37 PM
carola > wrote:

: I don't quite understand: Why should the candy be poisoned?

Same reason it should have blades, needles, glass piecesetc. Sad.

No More Retail
November 1st 05, 07:39 PM
Personally, I never let me kids when they were growing up go door to door.
We always took them to a Halloween party that was put on by work, the
church; we are members of or to people house we knew personally. Kids
always had a blast too many weirdo out there to take a chance anymore.
Here's how bad parents consider it in Orlando. They had mobile x-ray vans
parked in central locations so you could get your candy screened or you
could have gone to any hospital and have it done for free at either.

Phil we had are first casualties of Halloween come in today 3 black cats we
dropped of today one older cat at the society the lady was afraid that the
new kids on the block would hurt him and was unable to keep inside all the
time. 2 kittens about 12 weeks were dropped of at the shelter according to
the report the parents thought it would be great to have black cats for
Halloween than decided against it. Well at least they brought them here
instead of the side of the road. :-) and :-(

Ajanta
November 1st 05, 07:51 PM
carola > wrote:

: : (she likes watching TV).
: Any particular programme? LOL

She likes pictures and flickering lights, especially if the room is
dimly lit.

She does not like, or at least gets startled by, sounds most programs
have which are harsh--traffic, explosions, arguments--anyway even to my
ears.

Yesterday, when I was trying to keep her indoors, I dimmed the room
lights, muted the TV sound, and she was happy to watch just about any
channel. :-)