PDA

View Full Version : Cat diarrhea

gem :o\)
November 1st 05, 04:31 PM
What can I do with my 4yo female cat who has diarrhea?

We've taken her to the vet twice, she had an antibiotic shot last week which
seemed to help for a while, but I think as soon as we've got her back on wet
food, it's come back.

My main problem is the fact that she runs through the house putting it
everywhere. I've had to scrub my bedroom, living room and stair carpets so
much in the last 3 weeks, it's really driving me mad. I don't like poo
everywhere! Is it best/right to keep her confined to one room with the
litter tray overnight, I just can't stomach having to clean up excreta all
over, only to have her do it right again!

Last week when we took her, there was obvious blood (which is why she got
the antibiotic shot, I guess) but today, no blood, just diahorrea.. on my
carpet, on my desk, on my stairs....

Help!

Any advice would truly be appreciated.

Gemma

Gail
November 1st 05, 04:50 PM
Diarrhea is a symptom that something is wrong. It can be a sign of
inflammatory bowel disease, etc. You may need a second opinion. I assume she
was tested for parasites?
Gail
"gem :o)" > wrote in message
> What can I do with my 4yo female cat who has diarrhea?
>
> We've taken her to the vet twice, she had an antibiotic shot last week
> which seemed to help for a while, but I think as soon as we've got her
> back on wet food, it's come back.
>
> My main problem is the fact that she runs through the house putting it
> everywhere. I've had to scrub my bedroom, living room and stair carpets so
> much in the last 3 weeks, it's really driving me mad. I don't like poo
> everywhere! Is it best/right to keep her confined to one room with the
> litter tray overnight, I just can't stomach having to clean up excreta all
> over, only to have her do it right again!
>
> Last week when we took her, there was obvious blood (which is why she got
> the antibiotic shot, I guess) but today, no blood, just diahorrea.. on my
> carpet, on my desk, on my stairs....
>
> Help!
>
> Any advice would truly be appreciated.
>
> Gemma

Rhonda
November 1st 05, 06:59 PM
I would get another vet opinion right away. Something is obviously wrong
and has not been treated either correctly, or long enough.

Good luck, and remember -- your kitty is upset about this as you!

Rhonda

gem :o) wrote:

> What can I do with my 4yo female cat who has diarrhea?
>
> We've taken her to the vet twice, she had an antibiotic shot last week which
> seemed to help for a while, but I think as soon as we've got her back on wet
> food, it's come back.
>
> My main problem is the fact that she runs through the house putting it
> everywhere. I've had to scrub my bedroom, living room and stair carpets so
> much in the last 3 weeks, it's really driving me mad. I don't like poo
> everywhere! Is it best/right to keep her confined to one room with the
> litter tray overnight, I just can't stomach having to clean up excreta all
> over, only to have her do it right again!
>
> Last week when we took her, there was obvious blood (which is why she got
> the antibiotic shot, I guess) but today, no blood, just diahorrea.. on my
> carpet, on my desk, on my stairs....
>
> Help!
>
> Any advice would truly be appreciated.
>
> Gemma

---MIKE---
November 1st 05, 07:55 PM
Diarrhea can be caused by antibiotics. Get some acidolpolus capsules
from the refrigerated section of a health food store. Open the capsule
and mix some of the powder with her wet food (it has no taste). Check
with your vet first,

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Karen
November 1st 05, 11:41 PM
On 2005-11-01 10:31:15 -0600, "gem :o\)" > said:

> What can I do with my 4yo female cat who has diarrhea?
>
> We've taken her to the vet twice, she had an antibiotic shot last week
> which seemed to help for a while, but I think as soon as we've got her
> back on wet food, it's come back.
>
> My main problem is the fact that she runs through the house putting it
> everywhere. I've had to scrub my bedroom, living room and stair carpets
> so much in the last 3 weeks, it's really driving me mad. I don't like
> poo everywhere! Is it best/right to keep her confined to one room with
> the litter tray overnight, I just can't stomach having to clean up
> excreta all over, only to have her do it right again!
>
> Last week when we took her, there was obvious blood (which is why she
> got the antibiotic shot, I guess) but today, no blood, just diahorrea..
> on my carpet, on my desk, on my stairs....
>
> Help!
>
> Any advice would truly be appreciated.
>
> Gemma

When my cat had diahrea that could not be associated with any
particular illness, the vet put her on Hills w/d. Cleared it up in 24
to 48 hours. Even now, if she doesn't have 1/2 can of that a day, her
stool gets loose but if she has it, she has very nice normal poop. I
know a lady at work that adopted a cat and she had diarreha forever.
Finally, she went to my vet, and they did the same thing, she has not
had trouble since. If they can't find a reason, it is certainly worth a
try and they feel better. You know how lousy that feels, so it is
certainly not comfortable for the cat either.

Spot
November 2nd 05, 12:44 AM
Another trip to the vets is called for to see what's wrong and make sure
they didn't miss anything. If you know the wet food is irritating her don't
give her any of it till you get this under control. When you do decide to
give wet just a tiny bit at a time to make sure it doesn't upset her
stomach.

As a last resort if nothing else works you can go with boiled down rice and
feed her the broth from it. Two cups water and 1 cup rice as the water
boils off add more water till the broth from the rice is nice and soupy.
Drain off the broth and save it, throw the rice out. Feed the broth alone
for a couple days, then slowly add some dry food to the broth as she's able
to tolerate it keep adding dry food the less and less broth. I got this
from an old home remedy book and used this for a kitten I had who had
diarheaa when nothing else would work to stop it. She was on the boiled
rice water and dry moistened food for almost two weeks till her system
settled down and she was finally able to eat again.

Celeste