PDA

View Full Version : Poop outside litter box

Shardonay
November 2nd 05, 03:06 PM
My cat does a weird thing. He poops right next to his perfectly clean
litter box (I scoop it out every day -- when there's something to
scoop!). He's an only cat. Is he trying to tell me something? Is
this a health problem?

Lumpy
November 2nd 05, 03:43 PM
"Shardonay" > wrote in message
> My cat does a weird thing. He poops right next to his perfectly clean
> litter box (I scoop it out every day -- when there's something to
> scoop!). He's an only cat. Is he trying to tell me something? Is
> this a health problem?

There might be a health problem as this is often a sign. He needs
a checkup.

When you say "when there is something to scoop" are you suggesting
that this cat does not go some days? If so you must let him outside.
My little tabby does two good poops and several pees in a day.
If you keep him in and there are days he does not go then either
he has a bad problem or you do--yours being that he is going
elsewhere in the house. Remember too--their noses are a lot more
sensitive than ours. You need to scoop at least every day and also
wash and dry the box every 2-4 weeks.

November 2nd 05, 04:28 PM
>My cat does a weird thing. He poops
>right next to his perfectly clean litter box (I
>scoop it out every day -- when there's
>something to scoop!). He's an only cat. *
>Is he trying to tell me something? Is this a
>health problem?

If your cat is not pooping on a daily basis, it's likely he is
constipated. This would also account for him pooping beside the box as
constipation is painful and he may be associating that pain with the
litterbox. If you are feeding a dry diet, switch him to a high quality,
strictly canned diet and that should help improve the consistency of his
stools. Canned is a much better diet for cats anyway. You can read more
here:
http://catsincanada.com/articles/feeding.html
http://www.catnutrition.org

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Gail
November 2nd 05, 06:44 PM
It could be a health problem. Also, provide him with another litter box.
Some cats do not like to urinate and defecate in the same box.
Gail
"Shardonay" > wrote in message
> My cat does a weird thing. He poops right next to his perfectly clean
> litter box (I scoop it out every day -- when there's something to scoop!).
> He's an only cat. Is he trying to tell me something? Is this a health
> problem?

Phil P.
November 2nd 05, 07:14 PM
"Shardonay" > wrote in message
> My cat does a weird thing. He poops right next to his perfectly clean
> litter box (I scoop it out every day -- when there's something to
> scoop!). He's an only cat. Is he trying to tell me something? Is
> this a health problem?

Could be. When you say "when there's something to scoop", are you implying
he does not poop and pee everyday? If so, I suggest you have him checked by
a vet as soon as possible. Abnormal litterbox behavior is often an early
warning sign of internal illness or dissatisfaction with the litterbox
(location, size, type of litter, covered, etc.).

The general rule of thumb for litterboxes is 1 box per cat plus 1. So, you
should have at least 2 litterboxes and scoop them whenever you see deposits.
Some cats don't like to poop in the same box they pee in.

For more information about elimination disorders, go to:

http://www.maxshouse.com/behavior__training.htm#Elimination%20Problems%20in %20Cats

Phil