PDA

View Full Version : LitterMaid Cat Litter Box-question

ms. tonya
November 2nd 05, 05:59 PM
Looking to purchase the LitterMaid self cleaning cat box and wondering
which is the newest top of the line model they make.
I see the Mega model but also seeing another model that seems more
expensive. I owned -senior-two cats which one is starting to use my
carpet for a bathroom if the other uses the box first - I sift twice
daily-.
Also I switched to the brand of World's Best at Litter and am very
pleased with it-so are the cats- and wondering can we use that brand of
litter in the LitterMaid box instead of the company's brand.
TIA

Phil P.
November 2nd 05, 06:57 PM
"ms. tonya" > wrote in message
> Looking to purchase the LitterMaid self cleaning cat box and wondering
> which is the newest top of the line model they make.
> I see the Mega model but also seeing another model that seems more
> expensive. I owned -senior-two cats which one is starting to use my
> carpet for a bathroom if the other uses the box first
- I sift twice
> daily

The general rule of thumb for litterboxes is 1 box per cat plus 1. So, you
should have at least 3 litterboxes and scoop them whenever you see deposits
rather than on a set schedule.

Also, you might want to consider getting low-entrance litterboxes for senior
cats- easier on the joints:

http://www.maxshouse.com/Environmental_Enrichment/litter_box-dog-2.jpg

-.
> Also I switched to the brand of World's Best at Litter and am very
> pleased with it-so are the cats- and wondering can we use that brand of
> litter in the LitterMaid box instead of the company's brand.
> TIA

I don't recommend Littermaids because you can't see the poop and pee- thus,
you won't know if either contains blood or if the cats have diarrhea or some
other gastrointestinal disorder. Abnormal waste products are early warning
signs of illness and should monitored daily.

Phil.

Adam Helberg
November 3rd 05, 07:18 AM
"ms. tonya" > wrote in message
> Looking to purchase the LitterMaid self cleaning cat box and wondering
> which is the newest top of the line model they make.
> I see the Mega model but also seeing another model that seems more
> expensive. I owned -senior-two cats which one is starting to use my
> carpet for a bathroom if the other uses the box first - I sift twice
> daily-.
> Also I switched to the brand of World's Best at Litter and am very
> pleased with it-so are the cats- and wondering can we use that brand of
> litter in the LitterMaid box instead of the company's brand.
> TIA

From the website
http://www.littermaid.com/showproducts.asp

the model you want is the LM950. And I do recommend the mega model. World's best
works well in the Littermaid because it's corn-based and is light and easy on the
mechanism. In fact LitterMaid brand cat litter is also corn based.

Unfortunately (for me) one of my cats does not like corn litter and I have to use
clay.

I've had two littermaids for years for my two cats and am glad to provide advice on
their use.

Adam

Phil P.
November 3rd 05, 08:01 AM
"Adam Helberg" > wrote in message
k.net...

> I've had two littermaids for years for my two cats and am glad to provide
advice on
> their use.

How do you know if your cats have blood in the urine or feces or if the have
diarrhea if you don't see the waste products?

Brigitte
November 3rd 05, 05:51 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "Adam Helberg" > wrote in message
> k.net...
>

> > I've had two littermaids for years for my two cats and am glad to
provide
> advice on
> > their use.
>
> How do you know if your cats have blood in the urine or feces or if the
have
> diarrhea if you don't see the waste products?

It's still possible to see the waste, you just have to pick up a small "lid"
to view it.

Brigitte

Phil P.
November 3rd 05, 08:25 PM
"Brigitte" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> >
> > "Adam Helberg" > wrote in message
> > k.net...
> >

> > > I've had two littermaids for years for my two cats and am glad to
> provide
> > advice on
> > > their use.
> >
> > How do you know if your cats have blood in the urine or feces or if the
> have
> > diarrhea if you don't see the waste products?
>
> It's still possible to see the waste, you just have to pick up a small
"lid"
> to view it.

....to see only the waste that's on top. You'd have dump the bin and spread
out the waste to see the rest.

Alison
November 3rd 05, 09:24 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

>> I don't recommend Littermaids because you can't see the poop and
pee- thus,
> you won't know if either contains blood or if the cats have diarrhea
or some
> other gastrointestinal disorder. Abnormal waste products are early
warning
> signs of illness and should monitored daily.
>
> Phil.>>

Good point Phil,
Also I think elderly cats might find them scary and be put off from
using them.
Alison

Alison
November 3rd 05, 09:28 PM
"Brigitte" > wrote in message
>> It's still possible to see the waste, you just have to pick up a
small "lid"
> to view it.
>
> Brigitte>>

In cases of FLUTD it's important to see how large or small the cat's
wees are.
If a cat is doing a lot of small wees, it's a sign is amiss.
Alison

Adam Helberg
November 3rd 05, 10:40 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "Adam Helberg" > wrote in message
> k.net...
>

>> I've had two littermaids for years for my two cats and am glad to provide
> advice on
>> their use.
>
> How do you know if your cats have blood in the urine or feces or if the have
> diarrhea if you don't see the waste products?

You don't have as good a view of the cat's bathroom habits as in a regular box, but
you would still notice diarrhea and probably blood in urine. I still look in the
boxes every day.

Adam

Phil P.
November 4th 05, 08:37 AM
"Adam Helberg" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> >
> > "Adam Helberg" > wrote in message
> > k.net...
> >

> >> I've had two littermaids for years for my two cats and am glad to
provide
> > advice on
> >> their use.
> >
> > How do you know if your cats have blood in the urine or feces or if the
have
> > diarrhea if you don't see the waste products?
>
> You don't have as good a view of the cat's bathroom habits as in a regular
box, but
> you would still notice diarrhea and probably blood in urine. I still look
in the
> boxes every day.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but how would you notice bloody
stools or urine or diarrhea if the clumps were on the bottom or in the
middle of the bin?

I bought two Littermaids on impulse awhile back- but I ended up dumping the
bins to look at the clumps. Littermaids just make me nervous. I guess I'm
just a little more neurotic about my cat's help than normally neurotic cat
owners.;-)

Phil.

cybercat
November 4th 05, 05:10 PM
"Phil P." > wrote

> I bought two Littermaids on impulse awhile back- but I ended up dumping
the
> bins to look at the clumps. Littermaids just make me nervous.

My niece got one and found that they require at least as much
attention as a regular cat box. If you fill them too full of litter they
don't work, for example. I rolled my eyes when she got one
because I knew she thought she was going to get away with
not cleaning her cat's box. I stayed out of it, and somehow the
cat developed the habit of pooping ON the girl's bed when she
was upset with her. :) Happily, the girl's mother, who is a true
animal lover, now has the cat and she is happy and healthy and
spoiled rotten with attention.

Adam Helberg
November 5th 05, 07:35 AM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "Adam Helberg" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>>
>> "Phil P." > wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Adam Helberg" > wrote in message
>> > k.net...

> provide
>> > advice on
>> >
>> > How do you know if your cats have blood in the urine or feces or if the
> have
>> > diarrhea if you don't see the waste products?
>>
>> You don't have as good a view of the cat's bathroom habits as in a regular
> box, but
>> you would still notice diarrhea and probably blood in urine. I still look
> in the
>> boxes every day.
>
> I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but how would you notice bloody
> stools or urine or diarrhea if the clumps were on the bottom or in the
> middle of the bin?
>
> I bought two Littermaids on impulse awhile back- but I ended up dumping the
> bins to look at the clumps. Littermaids just make me nervous. I guess I'm
> just a little more neurotic about my cat's help than normally neurotic cat
> owners.;-)
>
> Phil.
I've heard this criticism of automatic boxes before, but I feel the benefit outweighs
the downside. It's also true they're not 100% and do require some maintenance.

Adam

5cats
November 5th 05, 01:37 PM
Adam Helberg wrote:

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
>>
>> "Adam Helberg" > wrote in message
>> nk.net...

>> provide

>> have
>>>
>>> You don't have as good a view of the cat's bathroom habits as in a
>>> regular
>> box, but
>>> you would still notice diarrhea and probably blood in urine. I still
>>> look
>> in the
>>> boxes every day.
>>
>> I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but how would you notice
>> bloody stools or urine or diarrhea if the clumps were on the bottom
>> or in the middle of the bin?
>>
>> I bought two Littermaids on impulse awhile back- but I ended up
>> dumping the bins to look at the clumps. Littermaids just make me
>> nervous. I guess I'm just a little more neurotic about my cat's help
>> than normally neurotic cat owners.;-)
>>
>> Phil.
> I've heard this criticism of automatic boxes before, but I feel the
> benefit outweighs the downside. It's also true they're not 100% and do
> require some maintenance.
>
> Adam

What about cleaning the littermaid itself? I have a couple of cats who
don't seem to squat and always hit the inside walls of covered boxes or
the rim of the uncovered one. Now, I just hose off the whole box and wash
it with hot water and bleach. It seems like cleaning a mechanical
contraption would be much more tedious?

I just remembered the other reason I was never tempted to get a
mechanical box, no electrical outlet anywhere near where I have the
litter boxes.

Phil P.
November 5th 05, 08:08 PM
"Adam Helberg" > wrote in message
t...

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> >
> > "Adam Helberg" > wrote in message
> > nk.net...

> > provide

> > have
> >>
> >> You don't have as good a view of the cat's bathroom habits as in a
regular
> > box, but
> >> you would still notice diarrhea and probably blood in urine. I still
look
> > in the
> >> boxes every day.
> >
> > I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but how would you notice bloody
> > stools or urine or diarrhea if the clumps were on the bottom or in the
> > middle of the bin?
> >
> > I bought two Littermaids on impulse awhile back- but I ended up dumping
the
> > bins to look at the clumps. Littermaids just make me nervous. I guess
I'm
> > just a little more neurotic about my cat's help than normally neurotic
cat
> > owners.;-)
> >
> > Phil.
> I've heard this criticism of automatic boxes before, but I feel the
benefit outweighs
> the downside.

What benefit could possibly outweigh detecting an internal disease early,
when treatment is most effective, and before it reaches an advanced stage
where it may cause irreversible damage??? Littermaids are actually
dangerous because they obscure early warning signs of illness.

> It's also true they're not 100% and do require some maintenance.

Some maintenance? Cleaning a littermaid *properly* requires much more work
than cleaning a regular litterbox - and still it cannot be cleaned as
efficiently. Since people buy Littermaids for convenience, its unlikely
they would want to spend the additional time and effort to clean and
disinfect them *properly*.

Adam Helberg
November 7th 05, 04:04 AM
"5cats" > wrote in message
> Adam Helberg wrote:
>

>> "Phil P." > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Adam Helberg" > wrote in message
>>> nk.net...

>>> provide

>>> have

>>> box, but
>>> in the
>>>
>>> I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but how would you notice
>>> bloody stools or urine or diarrhea if the clumps were on the bottom
>>> or in the middle of the bin?
>>>
>>> I bought two Littermaids on impulse awhile back- but I ended up
>>> dumping the bins to look at the clumps. Littermaids just make me
>>> nervous. I guess I'm just a little more neurotic about my cat's help
>>> than normally neurotic cat owners.;-)
>>>
>>> Phil.
>> I've heard this criticism of automatic boxes before, but I feel the
>> benefit outweighs the downside. It's also true they're not 100% and do
>> require some maintenance.
>>
>> Adam
>
> What about cleaning the littermaid itself? I have a couple of cats who
> don't seem to squat and always hit the inside walls of covered boxes or
> the rim of the uncovered one. Now, I just hose off the whole box and wash
> it with hot water and bleach. It seems like cleaning a mechanical
> contraption would be much more tedious?
>
> I just remembered the other reason I was never tempted to get a
> mechanical box, no electrical outlet anywhere near where I have the
> litter boxes.

A mechanical box may not be for you. I clean mine about every 6-8 weeks or so and
fill with fresh litter. The bottom part comes apart and can be washed off. The top
part is cleaned with a wet rag. The main benefit of a mechanical box is much less
daily maintenance. If you don't mind scooping a couple of times a day into the
garbage a mechanical box is not for you. Then there are those that want to inspect
every bit of a cat's waste--it's not for them either.

Adam

cybercat
November 7th 05, 04:11 AM
"Diane" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Adam Helberg" > wrote:
>
> > Then there are those that want to inspect
> > every bit of a cat's waste--it's not for them either.
>
> I can't say I *want* to. :) Just seems necessary (male cat with a slight
> history of crystals).
> --

I just like to keep things simple.Scooping a box 1-2 times a day, too
much trouble? So you buy a Littermaid, read the instructions, figure out
how much/little litter it will take w/o malfunctioing, how to take it apart
and put it back together, etc? I don't get it.

cybercat
November 7th 05, 04:47 PM
"Diane" > wrote

> > I just like to keep things simple.Scooping a box 1-2 times a day, too
> > much trouble? So you buy a Littermaid, read the instructions, figure out
> > how much/little litter it will take w/o malfunctioing, how to take it
apart
> > and put it back together, etc? I don't get it.
>
> Oh, I don't, either. With clumping litter, I never smell anything, and
> it's not a big deal to scoop a couple times a day. But then I have just
> the one Pee Machine. :)
> --

We have two cats, two boxes. I usually scoop only once a day,
but will scoop twice if I happen to be home and notice a
little boulder in there. There is only a smell when the little
devils have laid a fresh one. :)

cybercat
November 8th 05, 04:34 AM
"Diane" > wrote

> Oh, yes, until recently Hodge never buried his bits, so there was an eau
> de kitty crap that was beyond reek. Lately he has been covering them up.
> I wonder if I can take this as a sign that he has finally acknowledged
> my dominance. :)
> --

Hahaha, silly human. He is merely setting you up so that when you feel most
secure in your "dominance" (hahahaha!) he can strike with full force and put
you in your lowly human place. :)

Linda Terrell
November 8th 05, 02:29 PM
In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "Diane" > wrote
>
> > > I just like to keep things simple.Scooping a box 1-2 times a day, too
> > > much trouble? So you buy a Littermaid, read the instructions, figure out
> > > how much/little litter it will take w/o malfunctioing, how to take it
> apart
> > > and put it back together, etc? I don't get it.
> >
> > Oh, I don't, either. With clumping litter, I never smell anything, and
> > it's not a big deal to scoop a couple times a day. But then I have just
> > the one Pee Machine. :)
> > --
>
> We have two cats, two boxes. I usually scoop only once a day,
> but will scoop twice if I happen to be home and notice a
> little boulder in there. There is only a smell when the little
> devils have laid a fresh one. :)

I have 5 cats and 4 LM. After 30 years of hauling cat
litter, bending to scoop, etc. LM's are a vacation.

LT

cybercat
November 8th 05, 05:16 PM
"Linda Terrell" > wrote

> I have 5 cats and 4 LM. After 30 years of hauling cat
> litter, bending to scoop, etc. LM's are a vacation.

Don't you still have to haul litter?

Adam Helberg
November 8th 05, 08:41 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message ...

> "Linda Terrell" > wrote
>
>> I have 5 cats and 4 LM. After 30 years of hauling cat
>> litter, bending to scoop, etc. LM's are a vacation.
>>

> Don't you still have to haul litter?

I change my waste receptacles when full which is every 7-10 days. The closed
receptacle gets thrown directly into a dumpster, or if you want to kind to the
dumpster divers you can put it first into a shopping bag. I have two cats and two LMs
and one regular box and I much prefer if the cats don't use the regular box.

Even if I have to scoop the occasional miss in the LM it's much easier because the
waste goes into the waste receptacle. Also every couple of days I sprinkle some
deodorizer (either Tidy Cats or Arm and Hammer) into the waste receptacle.

If I go away overnight the LMs maintain themselves adequately.

The problem with overfilling is much less if you use the corn litter (World's Best or
Littermaid). Unfortunately my Oreo does not like them.

Adam

cybercat
November 9th 05, 12:13 AM
"Adam Helberg" > wrote in message
k.net...

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Linda Terrell" > wrote
> >
> >> I have 5 cats and 4 LM. After 30 years of hauling cat
> >> litter, bending to scoop, etc. LM's are a vacation.
> >>

> > Don't you still have to haul litter?
>
> I change my waste receptacles when full which is every 7-10 days. The
closed
> receptacle gets thrown directly into a dumpster, or if you want to kind to
the
> dumpster divers you can put it first into a shopping bag.

I really like the fact that you consider the dumpster divers! : D

Linda Terrell
November 9th 05, 12:13 PM
In article >, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> "Linda Terrell" > wrote
>
> > I have 5 cats and 4 LM. After 30 years of hauling cat
> > litter, bending to scoop, etc. LM's are a vacation.
> >

> Don't you still have to haul litter?

no as much and not as often. Scoop litter comes in
neat containers with handles on them.

My hands and shoulders are arthritic.

LT

cybercat
November 9th 05, 03:49 PM
"Linda Terrell" > wrote in message
> In article >, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
> > "Linda Terrell" > wrote
> >
> > > I have 5 cats and 4 LM. After 30 years of hauling cat
> > > litter, bending to scoop, etc. LM's are a vacation.
> > >

> > Don't you still have to haul litter?
>
> no as much and not as often. Scoop litter comes in
> neat containers with handles on them.
>
> My hands and shoulders are arthritic.

Poor you. Whatever works, you know? I can also see the point
of a litter maid for someone who has trouble bending without
pain. Who knows, I might one day and then I will know what
you're talking about.

Phil P.
November 9th 05, 04:14 PM
"Linda Terrell" > wrote in message

> I have 5 cats and 4 LM. After 30 years of hauling cat
> litter, bending to scoop, etc. LM's are a vacation.

I just hope your cats don't end up paying for your 'vacation'.

Phil P.
November 9th 05, 04:14 PM
"Adam Helberg" > wrote in message news:n48cf.1371

> I change my waste receptacles when full which is every 7-10 days. The
closed
> receptacle gets thrown directly into a dumpster,

So, your cats could have bloody urine or bloody diarrhea or worse, melena or
malabsorption/maldigestion and you wouldn't even know it for at least a week
to 10 days- if at all.

What amazes me is that you seem like a caring caretaker, yet this doesn't
seem to bother you. Goes to show you that being a caring caretaker doesn't
necessarily mean a person is a smart or responsible caretaker.

Adam Helberg
November 9th 05, 10:37 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "Adam Helberg" > wrote in message news:n48cf.1371
>>
>> I change my waste receptacles when full which is every 7-10 days. The
> closed
>> receptacle gets thrown directly into a dumpster,
>
> So, your cats could have bloody urine or bloody diarrhea or worse, melena or
> malabsorption/maldigestion and you wouldn't even know it for at least a week
> to 10 days- if at all.
>
> What amazes me is that you seem like a caring caretaker, yet this doesn't
> seem to bother you. Goes to show you that being a caring caretaker doesn't
> necessarily mean a person is a smart or responsible caretaker.

My cat Freddy once was sick with diarrhea and it was pretty obvious, a LM will not
conceal it.

Adam

Linda Terrell
November 11th 05, 02:19 PM
In article >,
"Phil P." > wrote:

> "Linda Terrell" > wrote in message
>
> > I have 5 cats and 4 LM. After 30 years of hauling cat
> > litter, bending to scoop, etc. LM's are a vacation.
>
> I just hope your cats don't end up paying for your 'vacation'.

When I suspect one of my cats is ill, I put it into my
bedroom with a clean litter box for me to inspect.

I've had LM's now for 6 years.

Now, go judge someone else, I have to attend to my cats.

LT

Phil P.
November 11th 05, 05:22 PM
"Adam Helberg" > wrote in message
.net...

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> >
> > "Adam Helberg" > wrote in message news:n48cf.1371
> >>
> >> I change my waste receptacles when full which is every 7-10 days. The
> > closed
> >> receptacle gets thrown directly into a dumpster,
> >
> > So, your cats could have bloody urine or bloody diarrhea or worse,
melena or
> > malabsorption/maldigestion and you wouldn't even know it for at least a
week
> > to 10 days- if at all.
> >
> > What amazes me is that you seem like a caring caretaker, yet this
doesn't
> > seem to bother you. Goes to show you that being a caring caretaker
doesn't
> > necessarily mean a person is a smart or responsible caretaker.
>
> My cat Freddy once was sick with diarrhea and it was pretty obvious, a LM
will not
> conceal it.

Really? Why?

Phil P.
November 11th 05, 05:23 PM
"Linda Terrell" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Phil P." > wrote:
>
> > "Linda Terrell" > wrote in message
> >
> > > I have 5 cats and 4 LM. After 30 years of hauling cat
> > > litter, bending to scoop, etc. LM's are a vacation.
> >
> > I just hope your cats don't end up paying for your 'vacation'.
>

> When I suspect one of my cats is ill, I put it into my
> bedroom with a clean litter box for me to inspect.

Cats don't usually display symptoms when they have diarrhea- until the
disease that's causing it becomes severe. By then, your routine can be too
late.

> I've had LM's now for 6 years.

And? You just been lucky, that's all. OTOH, you don't really know if
you've been lucky, do you?

> Now, go judge someone else,

I see I must have hit a nerve. Good. Maybe eventually you'll think twice
about Littermaids- I just hope you don't wake up too late.

> I have to attend to my cats.

What's the hurry? That shouldn't take much time since you don't have to
bother scooping their litterboxes.

Adam Helberg
November 12th 05, 09:46 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "Adam Helberg" > wrote in message
> .net...

>> > closed
>> >
>> > So, your cats could have bloody urine or bloody diarrhea or worse,
> melena or
>> > malabsorption/maldigestion and you wouldn't even know it for at least a
> week
>> > to 10 days- if at all.
>> >
>> > What amazes me is that you seem like a caring caretaker, yet this
> doesn't
>> > seem to bother you. Goes to show you that being a caring caretaker
> doesn't
>> > necessarily mean a person is a smart or responsible caretaker.
>>
>> My cat Freddy once was sick with diarrhea and it was pretty obvious, a LM
> will not
>> conceal it.
>
> Really? Why?

Because the cat was sick, I can see the diarrhea, and the cat went from one LM to the
other.

I really think this reason for avoiding the automatic box is not valid in reality. On
the other hand there is nothing wrong with the regular manual box. One of my three is
a plain box, but I prefer the cats using the LMs.

Adam

Phil P.
November 13th 05, 02:00 AM

The

> > melena or
> > week

> > doesn't
> > doesn't
> >>
> >> My cat Freddy once was sick with diarrhea and it was pretty obvious, a
LM
> > will not
> >> conceal it.
> >
> > Really? Why?
>
> Because the cat was sick, I can see the diarrhea, and the cat went from
one LM to the
> other.

Good thing you were home or you wouldn't have caught it.

> I really think this reason for avoiding the automatic box is not valid in
reality.

That's because LM are so convenient for you.

On
> the other hand there is nothing wrong with the regular manual box. One of
my three is
> a plain box, but I prefer the cats using the LMs.

I know you do- they're less work.

Linda Terrell
November 13th 05, 03:00 PM
> What's the hurry? That shouldn't take much time since you don't have to
> bother scooping their litterboxes.

You don't look cute in "Cute" Troll.

I've tended healthy cats for 35 years now.

LT

Phil P.
November 13th 05, 03:39 PM
"Linda Terrell" > wrote in message

> > What's the hurry? That shouldn't take much time since you don't have to
> > bother scooping their litterboxes.
>
> You don't look cute in "Cute" Troll.

Wow! You figured out I'm a troll so quickly all by yourself? I'm impressed!
Nothing gets past your lightening quick perception- does it? Now I'm really
confused about why you use Littermaids.