PDA

View Full Version : MORE ADVICE NEEDED ON SCREEN CLIMBING

Stevie via CatKB.com
November 3rd 05, 12:36 AM
Our cat has cat trees to climb but insists on climbing the screens on all 3
sliding glass doors and the front door screen. We have tried religiously
squirting him but he is not deterred. We have even tried ignoring him
because we thought he might think it was a game, but nothing seems to work.
Does anyone have any other ideas? We need the sliding glass doors open or
will have to use the air conditioning system. Stephanie

Judy
November 3rd 05, 04:03 AM
"Stevie via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Our cat has cat trees to climb but insists on climbing the screens on all
> 3
> sliding glass doors and the front door screen. We have tried religiously
> squirting him but he is not deterred. We have even tried ignoring him
> because we thought he might think it was a game, but nothing seems to
> work.
> Does anyone have any other ideas? We need the sliding glass doors open or
> will have to use the air conditioning system. Stephanie

Place coins in a tin can and shake vigorous?

My brother and his wife used this method in attempt to deter there cat from
inappropriate scratching and it worked. I can tell you that the sound is
most annoying! I spent some time there during the training sessions.

To my ears, it was akin to finger nails scratching down a slate blackboard.
OUCH!

Frank Pittel
November 3rd 05, 08:57 AM
Stevie via CatKB.com <[email protected]> wrote:
: Our cat has cat trees to climb but insists on climbing the screens on all 3
: sliding glass doors and the front door screen. We have tried religiously
: squirting him but he is not deterred. We have even tried ignoring him
: because we thought he might think it was a game, but nothing seems to work.
: Does anyone have any other ideas? We need the sliding glass doors open or
: will have to use the air conditioning system. Stephanie

Sounds a lot like my problem. Rather then climb the screens they've discovered that
if "grab" the screen in a corner with their claws they can pull the screen out of the
frame and let themselves out.
--

-------------------

Stevie via CatKB.com
November 3rd 05, 07:12 PM
Frank Pittel wrote:
>: Our cat has cat trees to climb but insists on climbing the screens on all 3
>: sliding glass doors and the front door screen. We have tried religiously
>: squirting him but he is not deterred. We have even tried ignoring him
>: because we thought he might think it was a game, but nothing seems to work.
>: Does anyone have any other ideas? We need the sliding glass doors open or
>: will have to use the air conditioning system. Stephanie
>
>Sounds a lot like my problem. Rather then climb the screens they've discovered that
>if "grab" the screen in a corner with their claws they can pull the screen out of the
>frame and let themselves out.

Well, my cat hasn't discovered that trick -- but he has ruined all 4 brand
new screens!!!!

--
Stephanie

Stevie via CatKB.com
November 3rd 05, 07:13 PM
Judy wrote:
>> Our cat has cat trees to climb but insists on climbing the screens on all
>> 3
>[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
>> Does anyone have any other ideas? We need the sliding glass doors open or
>> will have to use the air conditioning system. Stephanie
>
>Place coins in a tin can and shake vigorous?
>
>My brother and his wife used this method in attempt to deter there cat from
>inappropriate scratching and it worked. I can tell you that the sound is
>most annoying! I spent some time there during the training sessions.
>
>To my ears, it was akin to finger nails scratching down a slate blackboard.
>OUCH!

thanks. We've tried that too. He's a stubborn little kitty!

--
Stephanie

November 3rd 05, 08:52 PM
You may not be able to stop your cat from messing with the screens, but
you can certainly eliminate the damage by keeping his claws trimmed and
investing in a good quality screen made specifically for use around
pets.This company sells pet screen and has widths up to 60":

http://www.metroscreenworks.com/pet-screen.php

I've used this stuff myself and it rocks!

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Frank Pittel
November 3rd 05, 11:44 PM
: Frank Pittel wrote:
: >: Our cat has cat trees to climb but insists on climbing the screens on all 3
: >: sliding glass doors and the front door screen. We have tried religiously
: >: squirting him but he is not deterred. We have even tried ignoring him
: >: because we thought he might think it was a game, but nothing seems to work.
: >: Does anyone have any other ideas? We need the sliding glass doors open or
: >: will have to use the air conditioning system. Stephanie
: >
: >Sounds a lot like my problem. Rather then climb the screens they've discovered that
: >if "grab" the screen in a corner with their claws they can pull the screen out of the
: >frame and let themselves out.

: Well, my cat hasn't discovered that trick -- but he has ruined all 4 brand
: new screens!!!!

Have they figured out that they can cut the screens with their claws when ever
they want to? I think the problem with screens is that they're made for cats to
climb. The claws fit so nicely in the little holes and cats just can't resist
them.
--

-------------------

Karen
November 4th 05, 05:31 AM
On 2005-11-02 17:36:47 -0600, "Stevie via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> said:

> Our cat has cat trees to climb but insists on climbing the screens on all 3
> sliding glass doors and the front door screen. We have tried religiously
> squirting him but he is not deterred. We have even tried ignoring him
> because we thought he might think it was a game, but nothing seems to work.
> Does anyone have any other ideas? We need the sliding glass doors open or
> will have to use the air conditioning system. Stephanie

I have cat trees by my window with screens and they've not bothered it
as they can "get UP". Don't know how much that would bug you. I figure
they are here ALL the time, so they get lots of trees.

Stevie via CatKB.com
November 4th 05, 08:16 PM
wrote:
>You may not be able to stop your cat from messing with the screens, but
>you can certainly eliminate the damage by keeping his claws trimmed and
>investing in a good quality screen made specifically for use around
>pets.This company sells pet screen and has widths up to 60":
>
>http://www.metroscreenworks.com/pet-screen.php
>
>I've used this stuff myself and it rocks!
>
>Megan

THANKS, Megan. That is a great idea. Appreciate the advice. Stephanie

--
Stephanie

Phil P.
November 4th 05, 08:53 PM
"Stevie via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Frank Pittel wrote:
> >: Our cat has cat trees to climb but insists on climbing the screens on
all 3
> >: sliding glass doors and the front door screen. We have tried
religiously
> >: squirting him but he is not deterred. We have even tried ignoring him
> >: because we thought he might think it was a game, but nothing seems to
work.
> >: Does anyone have any other ideas? We need the sliding glass doors open
or
> >: will have to use the air conditioning system. Stephanie
> >
> >Sounds a lot like my problem. Rather then climb the screens they've
discovered that
> >if "grab" the screen in a corner with their claws they can pull the
screen out of the
> >frame and let themselves out.
>
> Well, my cat hasn't discovered that trick -- but he has ruined all 4 brand
> new screens!!!!

What is the clearance between the sliding doors, the width, and what are the
frames made of? If there's about 1/16" clearance between the sliding doors,
and they're not wider than 4', I think I have a solution to your problem:
Tack a sheet of galvanized or black anodized wire mesh on the frames of the
door over the screen. Black anodized mesh is less noticeable and a little
more decorative. The mesh comes in a variety of openings from about 11.3 mm
(0.446") all the way down to 1.5 mm (0.062"). The 11.3 mm is less
noticeable and doesn't restrict any light or air. The openings are also too
small
for a cat to get his paw caught and too large to catch his claw. Tacking
the mesh onto the frame, creates a little space between the mesh and the
screen- so your cat's claws can't reach the screen.

If the frames are made of wood- simply staple the mesh to the frame using
heavy duty 5/8" rounded
staples- cats can't pull out 5/8" staples- or wire brads. If the frames are
made of aluminum, use small pop rivets. Depending on the clearance between
the sliding doors, you might have enough room to cover the edges of the mesh
with a thin molding that you can stain to match to door, or aluminum molding
if the frames are aluminum. The molding will also add additional support
and hold the mesh in place. You can do the same for windows since the mesh
doesn't interfere with opening and closing the windows.

I use the same mesh-over-screen combination for my cat's outdoor enclosure.
The mesh is available at Home Depot for about $10 a roll 4' wide X 10' long.
The mesh comes in a variety of wire diameters (thickness) from 0.0800" (2
mm) all the down to 0.0090" (0.228 mm) so you shouldn't have any problems
with clearance between the doors. The thicker the wire the stronger the
mesh.

Good luck,

Phil

bookbug2005
November 4th 05, 11:19 PM
Have you considered putting soft paws on your kitties? I think if
their nails were covered, they probably wouldn't be able to get them
into the screen holes.

Michelle

Stevie via CatKB.com
November 5th 05, 08:42 PM
Phil P. wrote:
>> >: Our cat has cat trees to climb but insists on climbing the screens on all 3
>> >: sliding glass doors and the front door screen. We have tried religiously
>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>> Well, my cat hasn't discovered that trick -- but he has ruined all 4 brand
>> new screens!!!!
>
>What is the clearance between the sliding doors, the width, and what are the
>frames made of? If there's about 1/16" clearance between the sliding doors,
>and they're not wider than 4', I think I have a solution to your problem:
>Tack a sheet of galvanized or black anodized wire mesh on the frames of the
>door over the screen. Black anodized mesh is less noticeable and a little
>more decorative. The mesh comes in a variety of openings from about 11.3 mm
>(0.446") all the way down to 1.5 mm (0.062"). The 11.3 mm is less
>noticeable and doesn't restrict any light or air. The openings are also too
>small
>for a cat to get his paw caught and too large to catch his claw. Tacking
>the mesh onto the frame, creates a little space between the mesh and the
>screen- so your cat's claws can't reach the screen.
>
>If the frames are made of wood- simply staple the mesh to the frame using
>heavy duty 5/8" rounded
>staples- cats can't pull out 5/8" staples- or wire brads. If the frames are
>made of aluminum, use small pop rivets. Depending on the clearance between
>the sliding doors, you might have enough room to cover the edges of the mesh
>with a thin molding that you can stain to match to door, or aluminum molding
>if the frames are aluminum. The molding will also add additional support
>and hold the mesh in place. You can do the same for windows since the mesh
>doesn't interfere with opening and closing the windows.
>
>I use the same mesh-over-screen combination for my cat's outdoor enclosure.
>The mesh is available at Home Depot for about $10 a roll 4' wide X 10' long.
>The mesh comes in a variety of wire diameters (thickness) from 0.0800" (2
>mm) all the down to 0.0090" (0.228 mm) so you shouldn't have any problems
>with clearance between the doors. The thicker the wire the stronger the
>mesh.
>
>Good luck,
>
>Phil

Thanks, Phil. I'll look into this. Appreciate your input. Stephanie

--
Stephanie

Phil P.
November 7th 05, 01:21 AM
"Stevie via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Thanks, Phil. I'll look into this. Appreciate your input. Stephanie

You're welcome. I think covering the screens with mesh would be a lot
easier than taking the frames apart and replacing the screens.

Good luck.

Phil