PDA

View Full Version : Article on Asthma in Cats

November 4th 05, 07:57 AM
People that smoke around their cats and force them to inhale those toxic
fumes are irresponsible, ignorant jerks that don't deserve the blessing
of a feline companion:

Are asthmatic cats allergic to humans?
Some felines sickened by cigarette smoke, dust and dandruff, study finds

LONDON - Cats are blamed for triggering asthma attacks in humans but
veterinarians in Scotland said on Wednesday it may also work the other
way around.

Irritants such as cigarette smoke, dusty homes and human dandruff can
increase inflammation in feline lungs and worsen asthma in cats.

"There is a percentage of asthmatic cats whose asthma has been triggered
by things people do, or possibly by people themselves," said Nicki Reed,
of the University of Edinburgh's Hospital for Small Animals in Scotland.

"Cats with feline asthma syndrome can be made worse by living in a
household where people smoke, or where there are other potential
allergens or irritants.
In the first study of its kind in Britain, Reed and her team are
planning a trial involving 50 cats to determine whether a bacterium
called Mycoplasma which is found in human asthma patients in also
involved in the feline disease.

If it is, they hope it will lead to improved treatments for the one in
about 200 cats that suffer coughs, wheezing and shortness of breath
caused by asthma.
Pedigree oriental breeds such as Siamese cats are more prone to the
respiratory problem than other cats, according to the researchers.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

MaryL
November 4th 05, 01:48 PM
> wrote in message
> People that smoke around their cats and force them to inhale those toxic
> fumes are irresponsible, ignorant jerks that don't deserve the blessing
> of a feline companion:
>
> Are asthmatic cats allergic to humans?
> Some felines sickened by cigarette smoke, dust and dandruff, study finds
>
> LONDON - Cats are blamed for triggering asthma attacks in humans but
> veterinarians in Scotland said on Wednesday it may also work the other
> way around.
>
> Irritants such as cigarette smoke, dusty homes and human dandruff can
> increase inflammation in feline lungs and worsen asthma in cats.
>
> "There is a percentage of asthmatic cats whose asthma has been triggered
> by things people do, or possibly by people themselves," said Nicki Reed,
> of the University of Edinburgh's Hospital for Small Animals in Scotland.
>
> "Cats with feline asthma syndrome can be made worse by living in a
> household where people smoke, or where there are other potential
> allergens or irritants.
> In the first study of its kind in Britain, Reed and her team are
> planning a trial involving 50 cats to determine whether a bacterium
> called Mycoplasma which is found in human asthma patients in also
> involved in the feline disease.
>
> If it is, they hope it will lead to improved treatments for the one in
> about 200 cats that suffer coughs, wheezing and shortness of breath
> caused by asthma.
> Pedigree oriental breeds such as Siamese cats are more prone to the
> respiratory problem than other cats, according to the researchers.
>

> Megan
>

> "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing."
>
> -Edmund Burke
>
> Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
> http://www.stopdeclaw.com
>
> Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
> http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22
>
> "Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one
> elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and
> splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then
> providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision,
> raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and
> material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his
> way."
>
> - W.H. Murray

This is one more good reason *not* to smoke -- a source of medical problems
(including death) for people *and* a source of problems for our wonderful
cats. I know how difficult it is to stop smoking. My brother tried a
variety of methods for a very long time, but he finally succeeded -- he went
from being a chain smoker to none, and he has not picked up a cigarette for
almost 9 years. My uncle, by contrast, was a chain smoker all his life. He
died a lingering and terrible death from lung cancer. This article, of
course, was about cats (which it should be for this newsgroup), but I threw
in this extra information to point out that there are many good reasons not
to smoke. But, if you feel that you cannot give it up, you should smoke
outdoors exclusively for the safety of your feline companions.

MaryL

Karen
November 4th 05, 02:17 PM
I believe this to be true. Also our air fresheners, and candles. And
not just that, but in apartments, where it's hard to ventilate, even
the smoke from frying can be heavy. I know I am also trying to find
cleaning alternatives. And you can't necessarily open windows to
ventilate because I know earlier this fall just opening the deck door
was Bad News for triggering sneezes and coughing. Thank you for the
interesting article, Megan.

Christina Websell
November 4th 05, 08:58 PM
> wrote in message
> People that smoke around their cats and force them to inhale those toxic
> fumes are irresponsible, ignorant jerks that don't deserve the blessing
> of a feline companion:
>
> Are asthmatic cats allergic to humans?
> Some felines sickened by cigarette smoke, dust and dandruff, study finds
>
> LONDON - Cats are blamed for triggering asthma attacks in humans but
> veterinarians in Scotland said on Wednesday it may also work the other
> way around.
>
> Irritants such as cigarette smoke, dusty homes and human dandruff can
> increase inflammation in feline lungs and worsen asthma in cats.
>
> "There is a percentage of asthmatic cats whose asthma has been triggered
> by things people do, or possibly by people themselves," said Nicki Reed,
> of the University of Edinburgh's Hospital for Small Animals in Scotland.
>
> "Cats with feline asthma syndrome can be made worse by living in a
> household where people smoke, or where there are other potential
> allergens or irritants.
<snip>

What a great idea! Apply to a cat charity to adopt. Sorry, no go. Your
house is dusty and you have dandruff..
This must be a joke, surely.

Tweed

Brian Link
November 15th 05, 07:44 AM
On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 00:57:27 -0600, wrote:

>People that smoke around their cats and force them to inhale those toxic
>fumes are irresponsible, ignorant jerks that don't deserve the blessing
>of a feline companion:

<snip>

Yup. If you smoke, just chuck em out into the street, where they can
breathe clean, fresh air until being struck by a car or eaten by a
coyote.

BLink

-L.
November 15th 05, 11:26 AM
wrote:
> People that smoke around their cats and force them to inhale those toxic
> fumes are irresponsible, ignorant jerks that don't deserve the blessing
> of a feline companion:

This reminds me of the idiot from another ng who smoked like a chimney
and then wondered why her cats were dying from lung tumors.
Ironically, her house burned down and sadly her cats did too.
-L.

MaryL
November 19th 05, 04:24 AM
"Brian Link" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 00:57:27 -0600, wrote:
>
>>People that smoke around their cats and force them to inhale those toxic
>>fumes are irresponsible, ignorant jerks that don't deserve the blessing
>>of a feline companion:
>
> <snip>
>
> Yup. If you smoke, just chuck em out into the street, where they can
> breathe clean, fresh air until being struck by a car or eaten by a
> coyote.
>
> BLink

What a ridiculous comment. You know Megan, so you know this is *not* what
she meant.

MaryL