PDA

View Full Version : Still looking for info. Let me try a different tactic to get some discussion going!

Yankee Rose
November 4th 05, 02:02 PM
I have been a lifelong lover of animals. I don't find it odd that I
fell into the job that I did (Zoonotic disease Research Analyst)
working for the state. I've become involved in a lot of animal
oriented projects at a much higher magnitude, but I remember, and
cherish every year that I spent in animal rescue. And many times it
was a literal rescue - from a treed cat at midnight who's flea collar
had slipped under a forearm and had litterally embedded itself into the

skin and muscle layers, to the feral which had been hit by a car and
was hiding under some parked trailors. I remember it seeming like
hours while I lay belly down in the cold mud, inching forward, and
praying that I wouldn't lose the cat.

The first time I was called in to see the results of animal hoarding
was under in the worst circumstances possible - after a fire. I was
appalled and devastated. Trying to rescue those that had a chance, and
having a vet immediately euthanize all the feral cats that were locked
in the basement and suffered smoke inhalation and some burns.
The woman who owned the house fit the classic profile of an animal
hoarder (or just a plain hoarder of STUFF). Even after the fire, it
was evident that there were cat and dog food cans littering almost the
entire house, newspapers stacked from floor the ceiling, and on the
stairs as well. Knowing that she was a very large, disabled woman, I
could see why she wasn't able to make it down the stairs, and had to be
taken out of a second floor window to escape the fire and smoke.
It's not simply that she was "crazy"; although she certainly had an
OCD problem, she sincerely loved her pets and believed that they were
like surrogate children to her.
Pet hoarding or collecting usually stems from ignorance rather than
malice aforethought.

When I speak on animal hoarding, I recount my own experiences, but I
would like to hear from other people who have been through similar
situations. As a public health official, and a member of a Hoarding
Task Force which has brought agencies and organizations together so
that they may work together in times of crisis, animal hoarding or not.

I knew of one woman within our Animal Resce organization, who was a cat
"collector".
After several mishaps at her house which resulted in the deaths of the
cats involved, and other more "mysterious" deaths (probably a
combination of stress and malnourishment) - she was banned from taking
anymore foster animals from our organization, or adopting any.
She, unfortunately, refused to see the problem, and finally went off
on her own to start another animal welfare group - after we had
demanded that she relinquish all cats in her possession that were
fosteree's from our organization. We were soon able to disperse them
into appropriate homes.

I have worked with Dr. Randy Frost, and am on the Task Force with him,
but don't honestly believe that he knows as much about animal hoarding
as the papers that he's published report. I hope to add to this
deficit of first hand knowledge which he has, and which I or we have
experienced first hand.

Thanks!
Claudia

No More Retail
November 4th 05, 07:22 PM
I saw your message Claudia I will post some of my stories about this when I
get a chance just very busy. I am at two different shelters and just
experienced a cat hoarding issue in the last month.

Yankee Rose
November 5th 05, 01:26 PM
Thanks! I'd love to hear from you! My email address, if you prefer to
send your message that way is:

Snittens
November 5th 05, 11:32 PM
Hi, I would like to contribute as I am also in animal rescue, but I'm not
sure exactly what you are looking for. Do you want accounts of working with
hoarders, or just hoarders who are involved in animal rescue, or any rescue
stories?

--
-Kelly

"Yankee Rose" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> [...]
> After several mishaps at her house which resulted in the deaths of the
> cats involved, and other more "mysterious" deaths (probably a
> combination of stress and malnourishment) - she was banned from taking
> anymore foster animals from our organization, or adopting any.
> She, unfortunately, refused to see the problem, and finally went off
> on her own to start another animal welfare group - after we had
> demanded that she relinquish all cats in her possession that were
> fosteree's from our organization. We were soon able to disperse them
> into appropriate homes.
>

> I have worked with Dr. Randy Frost, and am on the Task Force with him,
> but don't honestly believe that he knows as much about animal hoarding
> as the papers that he's published report. I hope to add to this
> deficit of first hand knowledge which he has, and which I or we have

Cheryl
November 5th 05, 11:40 PM
On Sat 05 Nov 2005 05:32:06p, Snittens wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

> Hi, I would like to contribute as I am also in animal rescue,
> but I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for. Do you want
> accounts of working with hoarders, or just hoarders who are
> involved in animal rescue, or any rescue stories?

I could offer a story about an animal rescuer who turned into a
hoarder, or possibly a couple of stories. But I think this is the
dark side of animal rescue, and a sign of emotional problems and it's
hard to talk about. It makes the life of the animals no less easier,
just because they were taken in by someone supposedly dedicated to
their welfare. That said, I'm hesitant to talk about it, especially
since everyone here knows my full name because of the stalker. Oh,
the stories I could tell. But won't.

--
Cheryl

Snittens
November 6th 05, 01:20 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote
> I could offer a story about an animal rescuer who turned into a
> hoarder, or possibly a couple of stories. But I think this is the
> dark side of animal rescue, and a sign of emotional problems and it's
> hard to talk about. It makes the life of the animals no less easier,
> just because they were taken in by someone supposedly dedicated to
> their welfare. That said, I'm hesitant to talk about it, especially
> since everyone here knows my full name because of the stalker. Oh,
> the stories I could tell. But won't.

True, it is the dark side. And in a way, I think most hoarders think they
are rescuers in a way. They think they are doing good but they obviously,
they aren't.

--
-Kelly

Yankee Rose
November 7th 05, 01:08 PM
I'm looking more for stories from people who have been involved in
removing animals from hoarding situations.
Of course, I'd love to hear first hand from someone who is/was an
animal hoarder.
Cheryl, if you would like to email me, my email address is:

I won't use anyone's real name unless they want me to.

Thanks!

~ Claudia

cybercat
November 7th 05, 05:49 PM
"Yankee Rose" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm looking more for stories from people who have been involved in
> removing animals from hoarding situations.
> Of course, I'd love to hear first hand from someone who is/was an
> animal hoarder.
> Cheryl, if you would like to email me, my email address is:
>
> I won't use anyone's real name unless they want me to.

Claudia, you made it clear in your first post that email was fine,
which is why I was having a hard time understanding why anyone
at all was replying in the group. By the way, have you contacted
shelters and animal control agencies? You might find more reliable
and forthcoming information there than in Usenet.

cybercat
November 7th 05, 05:57 PM
"Yankee Rose" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm looking more for stories from people who have been involved in
> removing animals from hoarding situations.
> Of course, I'd love to hear first hand from someone who is/was an
> animal hoarder.
> Cheryl, if you would like to email me, my email address is:
>
> I won't use anyone's real name unless they want me to.

Claudia,

My mistake--it was in your second post that you wrote:

"My email address, if you prefer to send your message that way is:
"
Also, I see from reviewing your first that you have worked for state animal
agencies.Still, I would in your place be very careful about the
"information" you gather from Usenet. You undoubtedly know this, since you
are a reporter, but given your request for informationhere, it seemed worth
saying anyway. Good luck.

-L.
November 7th 05, 11:52 PM
Yankee Rose wrote:
> I'm looking more for stories from people who have been involved in
> removing animals from hoarding situations.
> Of course, I'd love to hear first hand from someone who is/was an
> animal hoarder.
> Cheryl, if you would like to email me, my email address is:
>
> I won't use anyone's real name unless they want me to.
>
> Thanks!
>
> ~ Claudia

There are a number of stories from rescuers already posted on Usenet -
which is public domain. Just search "hoarder" or "hoarding" in this ng
and the dog health groups. Many who posted the stories still post
under the same email addresses.

One thing I have found is that mainstream media never prints the
situation as bad as it is. It's almost like they censor it to protect
the privacy of the hoarder, or something.

-L.

Yankee Rose
November 8th 05, 02:10 AM
Dear L,

It's very true that the mainstream media never prints animal
hoarding situations as bad as they really are.
Part of the problem is the "confidentiality" rule when you're dealing
with someone who is clearly mentally ill.
Even fewer of those cases actually get prosecuted (unfortunately)
because by the time the situation comes to light and makes the press,
social agencies have usually intervened and "Section 12-ed" the person
for mandatory psychiatric treatment. The general feeling amongst the
"psychology" set is that they don't want to traumatize the person
further by allowing legal prosecution. Those that do make it to court,
are usually dismissed because of the individual's mental capacity, or
lack thereof.
~ Claudia

PS. The reason that I'm posting to usenet groups is that it gives me
the opportunity to reach more people that swapping notes with former
coworkers. We've all been there and seen it. I want to hear from
other people in different parts of the country.

cybercat
November 8th 05, 02:53 AM
"Yankee Rose" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> PS. The reason that I'm posting to usenet groups is that it gives me
> the opportunity to reach more people that swapping notes with former
> coworkers. We've all been there and seen it. I want to hear from
> other people in different parts of the country.

I see. And you think Usenet is a better resource than city, county,
and state agencies nationwide? Even though less than 10% of the
general population even knows that Usenet exists?

-L.
November 8th 05, 03:26 AM
Yankee Rose wrote:
> Dear L,

<snip>

I sent you some leads. Let me know if you do not get them.
-L.