PDA

View Full Version : Re: Article on Asthma in Cats


November 4th 05, 04:48 PM
>Simon was astmatic and had extreme
>trouble breathing, the vet had to feed
>oxygen through a throat cut, his owner
>was a heavy smoker and you could smell
>the smoke on the cat.

That's just heartbreaking. How anyone could do this to a cat and think
it's ok is unfathomable. The truth is though, that some people are
selfish and only care about their own gratification. The cat gets
asthma, but they keep puffing away, oblivious to the serious harm they
are inflicting, and the animals suffer. I imagine they think it's ok to
blow smoke in a baby's face too.

Besides the risk of developing asthma, there was a study that showed
cats exposed to secondhand smoke also had a greatly increased risk of
developing lymphoma. So first they can't breathe, then they die from
cancer. All because of selfish humans.

Megan



"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

"Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one
elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and
splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then
providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision,
raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and
material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his
way."

- W.H. Murray

Christina Websell
November 4th 05, 09:06 PM
> wrote in message
...
> >Simon was astmatic and had extreme
>>trouble breathing, the vet had to feed
>>oxygen through a throat cut, his owner
>>was a heavy smoker and you could smell
>>the smoke on the cat.
>
> That's just heartbreaking. How anyone could do this to a cat and think
> it's ok is unfathomable. The truth is though, that some people are
> selfish and only care about their own gratification. The cat gets
> asthma, but they keep puffing away, oblivious to the serious harm they
> are inflicting, and the animals suffer. I imagine they think it's ok to
> blow smoke in a baby's face too.
>
> Besides the risk of developing asthma, there was a study that showed
> cats exposed to secondhand smoke also had a greatly increased risk of
> developing lymphoma. So first they can't breathe, then they die from
> cancer. All because of selfish humans.
>
> Megan

That's ridiculous. Are you saying that cats who belong to smokers are dying
in droves through lymphoma caused by smoking? I don't think so.

Tweed

Joe Canuck
November 4th 05, 10:06 PM
Brandy Alexandre wrote:

> Christina Websell > wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>
>
> wrote in message
...
>>
>>>>Simon was astmatic and had extreme
>>>>trouble breathing, the vet had to feed
>>>>oxygen through a throat cut, his owner
>>>>was a heavy smoker and you could smell
>>>>the smoke on the cat.
>>>
>>>That's just heartbreaking. How anyone could do this to a cat and
>>>think it's ok is unfathomable. The truth is though, that some
>>>people are selfish and only care about their own gratification.
>>>The cat gets asthma, but they keep puffing away, oblivious to the
>>>serious harm they are inflicting, and the animals suffer. I
>>>imagine they think it's ok to blow smoke in a baby's face too.
>>>
>>>Besides the risk of developing asthma, there was a study that
>>>showed cats exposed to secondhand smoke also had a greatly
>>>increased risk of developing lymphoma. So first they can't
>>>breathe, then they die from cancer. All because of selfish
>>>humans.
>>>
>>>Megan
>>
>>That's ridiculous. Are you saying that cats who belong to smokers
>>are dying in droves through lymphoma caused by smoking? I don't
>>think so.
>>
>>Tweed
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> Just accept that it's wrong to smoke around kids and pets (and
> humans, for that matter),

Hmm, very interesting statement that appears to indicate kids are not
humans.

Given that I have viewed your expression of dislike for kids, I'm not
surprised you have stooped to this level of contempt.

Christina Websell
November 4th 05, 10:40 PM
"Brandy Alexandre" > wrote in message
...
> Christina Websell > wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav:
>
>>
> wrote in message
>> ...
>>> >Simon was astmatic and had extreme
>>>>trouble breathing, the vet had to feed
>>>>oxygen through a throat cut, his owner
>>>>was a heavy smoker and you could smell
>>>>the smoke on the cat.
>>>
>>> That's just heartbreaking. How anyone could do this to a cat and
>>> think it's ok is unfathomable. The truth is though, that some
>>> people are selfish and only care about their own gratification.
>>> The cat gets asthma, but they keep puffing away, oblivious to the
>>> serious harm they are inflicting, and the animals suffer. I
>>> imagine they think it's ok to blow smoke in a baby's face too.
>>>
>>> Besides the risk of developing asthma, there was a study that
>>> showed cats exposed to secondhand smoke also had a greatly
>>> increased risk of developing lymphoma. So first they can't
>>> breathe, then they die from cancer. All because of selfish
>>> humans.
>>>
>>> Megan
>>
>> That's ridiculous. Are you saying that cats who belong to smokers
>> are dying in droves through lymphoma caused by smoking? I don't
>> think so.
>>
>> Tweed
>

> Just accept that it's wrong to smoke around kids and pets (and
> humans, for that matter), and that they will die prematurely. Kami
> gets ousted from the area when I use hairspray or do my nails.
> Can't imagine smoking on a pet, asthma or not.

Now where did I say I smoked around kids and pets? Or even if I smoked at
all? You are making an assumption here.
Can't imagine having to oust my cats to use hairspray. Is that worse than
smoking in their airspace? My nails are natural btw.

Tweed

November 5th 05, 12:22 AM
*Tweed wrote:
>That's ridiculous. Are you saying that
>cats who belong to smokers are dying in
>droves through lymphoma caused by
>smoking?

The AVMA and Tuft's University are saying it looks that way. Considering
the number of smokers and the number of cats likely owned by them, with
a 2-4x increased risk of cancer I'd say that yes, droves of cats are
dying because of their selfish, irresponsible humans.

From Tuft's :
http://enews.tufts.edu/printerversion/080102PetsAndSmoke.htm

Smokers Put Pets At Risk

In a first-of-its-kind study, researchers from Tufts report a link
between second-hand smoke and cancer in cats.
No. Grafton, Mass. [08.01.02] -- Providing more scientific evidence
about the deadly effects of second-hand smoke, a new study from Tufts
reports that cats living in homes with smokers are more than twice as
likely than other cats to acquire feline lymphoma cancer. The research -
which is the first of its kind - alters current views on the causes of
lymphoma in cats and may help scientists better understand the causes of
non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in humans.
"It has long been believed that the major cause of feline lymphoma was
feline leukemia virus," Tufts' Dr. Antony Moore said in a report in
Science Daily. "The results of our study clearly indicate that exposure
to environmental factors such as second-hand tobacco smoke has
devastating consequences for cats because it significantly increases
their likelihood of contracting lymphoma."
The evidence - reported by researchers at Tufts' School of Veterinary
Medicine and the University of Massachusetts at Amherst - paints a
dramatic picture of the risks associated with second-hand smoke.
"They found that, adjusting for age and other factors, cats exposed to
secondhand smoke had more than double the risk of acquiring the
disease," reported the Associated Press. "In households where they were
exposed five years or more, cats had more than triple the risk. In a
two-smoker household, the risk went up by a factor of four."
In some cases, cats were at higher risk for cancer than humans living in
the same home.
"Exposure levels in cats continuously kept indoors may actually be
higher than those of human household members, who often spend extended
periods of time outside their homes," reported Science Daily. "Cats
become exposed by inhaling the smoke or by digesting it when they groom
themselves and lick particulate matter off their fur."
Based on their findings with cats, the Tufts researchers believe their
work may provide new evidence that second-hand smoke and lymphoma in
humans are linked.
"Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in humans, like feline lymphoma, is a cancer
that starts in lymph tissue and can spread to other organs," reported
USA Today. "The new study suggests that components of tobacco smoke have
a cancerous effect on lymphoid tissue, researchers say."
Moore also hopes the findings provide another compelling reason to quit
smoking.
"I think there's a lot of people who might not quit smoking for
themselves or their family," Moore said in the Associated Press report,
which was published in newspapers around the country. "But they might
for their cats."


Megan*
*



"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

"Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one
elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and
splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then
providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision,
raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and
material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his
way."

- W.H. Murray

November 5th 05, 12:28 AM
Tweed wrote:
>Now where did I say I smoked around
>kids and pets? * Or even if I smoked at
>all? You are making an assumption here.

You're assuming Brandy made an assumption. You are wrong. She didn't
write anything that stated or implied that you smoked. All she said was
accept the fact that it's wrong to smoke around kids, pets, and humans
(I think she may have meant to write adults). That's not an accusation
or an implication. It was a simple statement. For the record, since you
are being so defensive, do you smoke?

Megan



"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

"Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one
elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and
splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then
providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision,
raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and
material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his
way."

- W.H. Murray

Joe Canuck
November 5th 05, 12:49 AM
wrote:

> Tweed wrote:
>
>>Now where did I say I smoked around
>>kids and pets? Or even if I smoked at
>>all? You are making an assumption here.
>
>
> You're assuming Brandy made an assumption. You are wrong. She didn't
> write anything that stated or implied that you smoked. All she said was
> accept the fact that it's wrong to smoke around kids, pets, and humans
> (I think she may have meant to write adults).

Now you'd be making an assumption. 8-)

Naturally, Brandy seeing the possibilities here will come to your rescue
and agree that that was what she meant.

Funny how hindsight is 20/20. :-D

> That's not an accusation
> or an implication. It was a simple statement. For the record, since you
> are being so defensive, do you smoke?
>
> Megan
>
>
>
> "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing."
>
> -Edmund Burke
>
> Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
> http://www.stopdeclaw.com
>
> Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
> http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22
>
> "Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one
> elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and
> splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then
> providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision,
> raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and
> material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his
> way."
>
> - W.H. Murray
>
>

Jo Firey
November 5th 05, 03:09 AM
"Diane" > wrote in message
...
> In article >,
> wrote:
>
>> That's just heartbreaking. How anyone could do this to a cat and think
>> it's ok is unfathomable. The truth is though, that some people are
>> selfish and only care about their own gratification. The cat gets
>> asthma, but they keep puffing away, oblivious to the serious harm they
>> are inflicting, and the animals suffer. I imagine they think it's ok to
>> blow smoke in a baby's face too.
>
> What amazes me are people with asthma who smoke.

And emphysema, and lung cancer, etc.

It only shows that you have no concept of the power of addiction or of just
how addicting nicotine is for most smokers.

Jo

Adrian
November 5th 05, 10:45 AM
Diane wrote:
> In article >,
> wrote:
>
>> That's just heartbreaking. How anyone could do this to a cat and
>> think it's ok is unfathomable. The truth is though, that some people
>> are selfish and only care about their own gratification. The cat gets
>> asthma, but they keep puffing away, oblivious to the serious harm
>> they are inflicting, and the animals suffer. I imagine they think
>> it's ok to blow smoke in a baby's face too.
>
> What amazes me are people with asthma who smoke.

I've read before that giving up smoking is harder than coming off heroin. I
know how hard it was for me to stop, I'm never suprised when people carry
on, even when they know it's killing them. People who have never smoked can
have no idea what it's like.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
A House is not a home, without a cat.
http://community.webshots.com/user/clowderuk

Jo Firey
November 5th 05, 05:36 PM
"Adrian" > wrote in message
...
> Diane wrote:
>> In article >,
>> wrote:
>>
>>> That's just heartbreaking. How anyone could do this to a cat and
>>> think it's ok is unfathomable. The truth is though, that some people
>>> are selfish and only care about their own gratification. The cat gets
>>> asthma, but they keep puffing away, oblivious to the serious harm
>>> they are inflicting, and the animals suffer. I imagine they think
>>> it's ok to blow smoke in a baby's face too.
>>
>> What amazes me are people with asthma who smoke.
>
> I've read before that giving up smoking is harder than coming off heroin.
> I
> know how hard it was for me to stop, I'm never suprised when people carry
> on, even when they know it's killing them. People who have never smoked
> can
> have no idea what it's like.


Even some who have smoked and quit may well not know. The degree of
addiction to nicotine seems to vary by individual.

Even at two packs a day, most of my withdrawal was situational.

Until a really major stress trigger 15 years later caused me to start again
for a year.

But I've seen how physically addicted other smokers can be and would hardly
judge them based on my own experience.

Jo

Howard C. Berkowitz
November 5th 05, 11:07 PM
In article >, Jo Firey
> wrote:

> "Adrian" > wrote in message
> ...
> > Diane wrote:
> >> In article >,
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >>> That's just heartbreaking. How anyone could do this to a cat and
> >>> think it's ok is unfathomable. The truth is though, that some people
> >>> are selfish and only care about their own gratification. The cat gets
> >>> asthma, but they keep puffing away, oblivious to the serious harm
> >>> they are inflicting, and the animals suffer. I imagine they think
> >>> it's ok to blow smoke in a baby's face too.
> >>
> >> What amazes me are people with asthma who smoke.
> >
> > I've read before that giving up smoking is harder than coming off heroin.
> > I
> > know how hard it was for me to stop, I'm never suprised when people carry
> > on, even when they know it's killing them. People who have never smoked
> > can
> > have no idea what it's like.
>
>
> Even some who have smoked and quit may well not know. The degree of
> addiction to nicotine seems to vary by individual.
>
> Even at two packs a day, most of my withdrawal was situational.
>
> Until a really major stress trigger 15 years later caused me to start again
> for a year.
>
> But I've seen how physically addicted other smokers can be and would hardly
> judge them based on my own experience.
>

The addiction physicians I know rate the physical effects of nicotine
withdrawal as comparable to that from opioids like heroin, but less
than from barbiturate withdrawal. Barbiturate withdrawal, however, is
NEVER attempted on an outpatient basis.

There are two (US) FDA-approved drug classes to assist in nicotine
withdrawal: nicotine patches/gums/etc. and the atypical antidepressant
bupropion. As marketed for nicotine withdrawal, the latter has the
trade name Zyban, which is exactly the same drug as the antidepressant
Welbutrin, which, in turn, is available much more cheaply as a generic.

These two demonstrably work, and work better in combination. Other
drugs, such as clonidine, may also help. Anti-anxiety drugs can have a
role. For some individuals, support groups may be useful.

Am I conveying the idea that nicotine withdrawal is a medical
challenge? Yes, some people can do it on their own, but there is
absolutely no shame or weakness in getting physician assistance.

Christina Websell
November 6th 05, 10:27 PM
> wrote in message
...
Tweed wrote:
>Now where did I say I smoked around
>kids and pets? Or even if I smoked at
>all? You are making an assumption here.

You're assuming Brandy made an assumption. You are wrong. She didn't
write anything that stated or implied that you smoked. All she said was
accept the fact that it's wrong to smoke around kids, pets, and humans
(I think she may have meant to write adults). That's not an accusation
or an implication. It was a simple statement. For the record, since you
are being so defensive, do you smoke?

Megan

What I am being defensive about is the prescriptiveness about who/who not
deserves to adopt a cat which is in great need of a home.
Someone whose house is dusty is apparently not fit, nor smokes etc.
My point is that if you get too particular about good homes that are offered
for a cat that is likely to be euthanised...well, you get my drift.

Tweed