PDA

View Full Version : Kitten that never shuts up

mig31m6
November 5th 05, 02:11 AM
Hello Everyone
We have a 6 mo. old female kitten that does not shut up. She even
seems to talk to herself. She was always yappy but it increased after
she was spayed. I should point out that she is an indoor cat that only
gets outside if one of us is with her or sometimes by herself for a
short period on a harness with a long leash and tied to something so
she doesn't wander away. I don't know if its "that time of year" but
we have had quite a few male cats wandering through the property and
one even visited her on the other side of a window on Halloween. Is
this normal behavior? Is it teen angst? None of the people I know are
sure if spaying just stops the ability to procreate but leaves the
hormones intact or if other hormones come into play anyway causing our
meow-fest. Sometime we can figure out what she wants and other times
it makes no sense. We do give her attention and play with her as she
is a very loved cat. We just don't get it! Any insight would be
appreciated as all this meowing is giving us a headache.
Thanks

CatNipped
November 5th 05, 02:13 AM
"mig31m6" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello Everyone
> We have a 6 mo. old female kitten that does not shut up. She even
> seems to talk to herself. She was always yappy but it increased after
> she was spayed. I should point out that she is an indoor cat that only
> gets outside if one of us is with her or sometimes by herself for a
> short period on a harness with a long leash and tied to something so
> she doesn't wander away. I don't know if its "that time of year" but
> we have had quite a few male cats wandering through the property and
> one even visited her on the other side of a window on Halloween. Is
> this normal behavior? Is it teen angst? None of the people I know are
> sure if spaying just stops the ability to procreate but leaves the
> hormones intact or if other hormones come into play anyway causing our
> meow-fest. Sometime we can figure out what she wants and other times
> it makes no sense. We do give her attention and play with her as she
> is a very loved cat. We just don't get it! Any insight would be
> appreciated as all this meowing is giving us a headache.
> Thanks

Some breeds of cats are just naturally "chatty" - Siamese for example. If
she has any Siamese in her she will probably "talk" like that for the rest
of her life. Personally, I like a chatty cat! ;>

CatNipped

Phil P.
November 5th 05, 05:32 AM
"mig31m6" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello Everyone
> We have a 6 mo. old female kitten that does not shut up. She even
> seems to talk to herself. She was always yappy but it increased after
> she was spayed. I should point out that she is an indoor cat that only
> gets outside if one of us is with her or sometimes by herself for a
> short period on a harness with a long leash and tied to something so
> she doesn't wander away. I don't know if its "that time of year" but
> we have had quite a few male cats wandering through the property and
> one even visited her on the other side of a window on Halloween. Is
> this normal behavior? Is it teen angst? None of the people I know are
> sure if spaying just stops the ability to procreate but leaves the
> hormones intact or if other hormones come into play anyway causing our
> meow-fest. Sometime we can figure out what she wants and other times
> it makes no sense. We do give her attention and play with her as she
> is a very loved cat. We just don't get it! Any insight would be
> appreciated as all this meowing is giving us a headache.
> Thanks

Attracting males and excessive vocalization after being neutered is usually
a sign of ovarian remnant syndrome- that is when one or both ovaries weren't
completely removed, or some ovarian tissue was dropped in the peritoneal
cavity during surgery. Female cats can start showing symptoms of ovarian
remnant syndrome anywhere from 2 weeks to 9 years after neutering.

If her behavior doesn't change and she continues to attract males, you might
want to ask your vet to check her serum her progesterone concentration.

How long ago was she neutered?

Phil

mig31m6
November 7th 05, 08:47 PM