PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks - thankfully it's all over till New Year...

chas
November 6th 05, 03:45 PM
Hopefully.

Anyone in the UK with nervous pets will no doubt be welcoming the hopeful
end of the Bonfire Night carryon which usually starts 2 weeks earlier and in
many cases goes on way after the 5th as well.

My cat has spent the last few nights in hiding behind the settee and not
even the choice of sitting on the warm Sky+ box (normally banned to her)
could tempt her out.

I like to see fireworks - but not hear them.

The day they make them silent, or with nothing louder than a 'fizzing' noise
I suspect a great many people - and animals, will be most happy.

Oh well. Not long till it all starts again for New Year.

chas

Alison
November 6th 05, 04:54 PM
"chas" > wrote in message
> Hopefully.
>
> Anyone in the UK with nervous pets will no doubt be welcoming the
hopeful
> end of the Bonfire Night carryon which usually starts 2 weeks
earlier and in
> many cases goes on way after the 5th as well.
>
> chas>

You wanna bet? It's p*ssing with rain here (South east) and there's
*still* bluddy fireworks going off:((
I love watching fireworks except noisy ones but here is limit.
Alison

Helen Miles
November 6th 05, 08:16 PM
"chas" > wrote in message

> Hopefully.
>
> Anyone in the UK with nervous pets will no doubt be welcoming the hopeful
> end of the Bonfire Night carryon which usually starts 2 weeks earlier and in
> many cases goes on way after the 5th as well.///

I'm pretty lucky with my lot. They've all been sitting in the window
giving the fireworks marks out of 10!

Helen M

November 7th 05, 03:07 PM
chas wrote:

> Hopefully.
>
> Anyone in the UK with nervous pets will no doubt be welcoming the hopeful
> end of the Bonfire Night carryon which usually starts 2 weeks earlier and in
> many cases goes on way after the 5th as well.
>
> My cat has spent the last few nights in hiding behind the settee and not
> even the choice of sitting on the warm Sky+ box (normally banned to her)
> could tempt her out.
>
> I like to see fireworks - but not hear them.
>
> The day they make them silent, or with nothing louder than a 'fizzing' noise
> I suspect a great many people - and animals, will be most happy.
>
> Oh well. Not long till it all starts again for New Year.
>
> chas

Luckily Otis seems oblivious, cos the kids in my street have been going
down the alleyway behind my house and letting off bangers (nothing to
see at all, I didn't realise you could buy bangers that had no visual
effect), for about 3 weeks, one was so loud it set off a car alarm. Add
that to the Mercedes with the American accent (no disrespect intended)
telling to stand away from the veee hic le (or that's how it sounds),
all bloody night long. I wanted to go and smash it's windows to give it
something to really moan about. I woke up and thought someone was in
the house at first then I realised it was this car, if I find out who
owns it....

chas
November 7th 05, 04:58 PM
I knew I had spoken too soon!

Last night was lovely and peaceful - until ten thirty!!!

chas

November 7th 05, 07:16 PM
It's now Monday evening, and I'm at work in Holborn, and the bangers
have just started again, honestly it's like a blimmin war zone in
London at this time of year, grrr, I'm not a killjoy but I don't think
people should be allowed to buy them until the week (or day) of bonfire
night, it makes me mad to think about the cats and dogs suffering.

Lesley
November 8th 05, 01:41 PM
wrote:

> It's now Monday evening, and I'm at work in Holborn, and the bangers
> have just started again, honestly it's like a blimmin war zone in
> London at this time of year,

Some friends of mine were pretty horrified the other night. They don't
have a cat because one of them is allergic to them but next doors cat
is a friendly sort and often comes into their garden for a petting
session. The cats "owners" are not particularly good slaves and have
the strange belief (Used to see it a lot more) that they have to put
the cat out for the night.

The other night one of my friends found the poor cat in their garden,
with fireworks going off all over the place and the poor cat shaking in
terror

So the allergic guy just had to suffer because they were not going to
leave the poor cat out there. So he or she spent the night indoors at
theirs and even got fed.

Methinks there are some slaves in the making....

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

chas
November 8th 05, 03:54 PM
Allergies can be lived with - as I found out.

I am very allergic to cats but love them too much not to be able to offer a
good home to one in need. My current puss has affected the me the worst so
far. (She is a short haired black cat). In fact, within 2 weeks of getting
her I was seriously contemplating giving her back because I was so bad with
the allergy. I had never realised it was the allergy until my doctor had me
tested.

However, having had a cat in my life for over 20 years I was not about to
let an allegery win. I admit there are times when I wake up with my nose
running, my eyes streaming and just sneezing. However, I live on a daily
dose of anti histimines which helps - plus my bedroom is a cat free zone
during the day.

(It used to be cat free at night as well but after a real health scare with
her when I thought I was going to lose her I let her have what she most
wanted - which was to sleep with me). She is now over the health scare but
erm... still sleeping with me!

It's so nice to hear there are people who care about cats (and other
animals) - even those who don't have one but who care enough to take one in
during the fireworks.

chas

cybercat
November 8th 05, 05:19 PM
"chas" > wrote in message
> Allergies can be lived with - as I found out.
>
> I am very allergic to cats but love them too much not to be able to offer
> good home to one in need.

Me too, Charles. Generic Claritin saves me, plus frequent showers. Like
you, my black cat is the one with the most potent allergens, be they in the
dander or the saliva. I really notice it when I come home from a week
out-of-town, when I stay in a hotel. (I mean I notice the reaction when I
come home.)

chas
November 8th 05, 06:00 PM
I had heard - probably incorrectly it now seems - that black cats were the
most allergyfree type cats?

My last 2 cats were white or tortoiseshell and I did not suffer nearly as
much with them.

chas

November 8th 05, 06:14 PM
chas wrote:
> I had heard - probably incorrectly it now seems - that black cats were the
> most allergyfree type cats?
>
> My last 2 cats were white or tortoiseshell and I did not suffer nearly as
> much with them.
>
> chas

I'm mostly allergic only to long haired cats. Otis is short haired and
I've built up tolerance to him over the years (according to tests I'm
no longer "allergic" to cats), but I can't have him sleep on my pillow,
so long as I don't breathe in his hair I'm OK, and also I try to
remember (but usually fail) to wash my hands when he's had a good human
groom.