PDA

View Full Version : felix habilis


Rebecca Root
November 8th 05, 03:55 AM
One of my cats, Riley, strikes me has being handier with his paws then
what is usual, at least in my own experience. None of his paw tricks
are unique, but taken as a group, it seems that he's really jonesing
for an opposable thumb. Alas, his genetic line stops here. Anyway, I'm
going to share some of his handier talents, and I'd like to hear about
other cats with this propensity. Oh, and Riley has just the ordinary
number of toes, in case that's relevant.

Riley's typical paw feats:

- he opens all the cabinets in the house, with and without handles
- to wash his face, he holds his tail between his front paws, licks it
up good and wet, and scrubs his face holding his tail as a wash cloth
(beginning tool use?)
- when I first get home and he wants attention, he'll sit on a counter
near me and tap me on the shoulder, if I don't respond adequately, he
bites my shoulder, thus reverting to type
- when exploring a new food, he'll pick it up with a paw and nibble it
out of his own palm
- when he first wakes up, he plans a major stretch that ends with him
tapping me on the face, either the mouth or the eyes
- and the best, for sentimental reasons: he picked me out at Humane
Society by reaching out of his top level cage, where I hadn't noticed
him, and tapping me on the head.

So, what do your cats do with their paws, other than the usual playing
with toys and walking around?

Becky

Phil P.
November 8th 05, 11:59 AM
"Rebecca Root" > wrote in message
news:2005110719552516807%[email protected]
> One of my cats, Riley, strikes me has being handier with his paws then
> what is usual, at least in my own experience.


Then he should *love* this:

http://www.maxshouse.com/Environmental_Enrichment/Peek-a-prize-puzzle-box.jpg


Just use treats in the box instead of toys - gives him the thrill and
satisfaction of the catch.

How're are his knees?

Phil


PS: "Felix habilis" is hysterical!


None of his paw tricks
> are unique, but taken as a group, it seems that he's really jonesing
> for an opposable thumb. Alas, his genetic line stops here. Anyway, I'm
> going to share some of his handier talents, and I'd like to hear about
> other cats with this propensity. Oh, and Riley has just the ordinary
> number of toes, in case that's relevant.
>
> Riley's typical paw feats:
>
> - he opens all the cabinets in the house, with and without handles
> - to wash his face, he holds his tail between his front paws, licks it
> up good and wet, and scrubs his face holding his tail as a wash cloth
> (beginning tool use?)
> - when I first get home and he wants attention, he'll sit on a counter
> near me and tap me on the shoulder, if I don't respond adequately, he
> bites my shoulder, thus reverting to type
> - when exploring a new food, he'll pick it up with a paw and nibble it
> out of his own palm
> - when he first wakes up, he plans a major stretch that ends with him
> tapping me on the face, either the mouth or the eyes
> - and the best, for sentimental reasons: he picked me out at Humane
> Society by reaching out of his top level cage, where I hadn't noticed
> him, and tapping me on the head.
>
> So, what do your cats do with their paws, other than the usual playing
> with toys and walking around?
>
> Becky
>

November 8th 05, 02:20 PM
My ginger uses her paw as a spoon with milk and water. Cutest thing
ever. She will also pick up her stuffed mouse and catnip toys with her
two front paws and toss them. Love your cat's face cleaning technique!

5cats
November 8th 05, 03:29 PM
Rebecca Root wrote:

> One of my cats, Riley, strikes me has being handier with his paws then
> what is usual, at least in my own experience. None of his paw tricks
> are unique, but taken as a group, it seems that he's really jonesing
> for an opposable thumb. Alas, his genetic line stops here. Anyway, I'm
> going to share some of his handier talents, and I'd like to hear about
> other cats with this propensity. Oh, and Riley has just the ordinary
> number of toes, in case that's relevant.
>
> Riley's typical paw feats:
>
> - he opens all the cabinets in the house, with and without handles
> - to wash his face, he holds his tail between his front paws, licks it
> up good and wet, and scrubs his face holding his tail as a wash cloth
> (beginning tool use?)
> - when I first get home and he wants attention, he'll sit on a counter
> near me and tap me on the shoulder, if I don't respond adequately, he
> bites my shoulder, thus reverting to type
> - when exploring a new food, he'll pick it up with a paw and nibble it
> out of his own palm
> - when he first wakes up, he plans a major stretch that ends with him
> tapping me on the face, either the mouth or the eyes
> - and the best, for sentimental reasons: he picked me out at Humane
> Society by reaching out of his top level cage, where I hadn't noticed
> him, and tapping me on the head.
>
> So, what do your cats do with their paws, other than the usual playing
> with toys and walking around?
>
> Becky
>
>

Before I got the Fresh Flow fountain, George drank water by dipping his paw
into the water bowl and then licking water off his paw. He would lay next
to the bowl for half an hour and just casually dip his paw in. Now he loves
the fountain and drinks the running water so I think the paw trick was an
attempt to get little drips of water off his paw.

All the cats have tapped me with their paws occasionally. Pookie does it if
I'm petting her and stop, she then tries to reach out with hew paw and pull
my hand back towards her.

Rebecca Root
November 9th 05, 05:45 AM
On 2005-11-08 03:59:07 -0700, "Phil P." > said:

> http://www.maxshouse.com/Environmental_Enrichment/Peek-a-prize-puzzle-box.jpg
>
>
> Just use treats in the box instead of toys - gives him the thrill and
> satisfaction of the catch.

That looks like just his thing, though I think he'd like it better if
the holes were covered and required him to open them.

>
> How're are his knees?

His knees are doing great. He's jumping and climbing anything he wants,
and seems to do it with ease, although he does always mumble under his
breath on a high leap. His vet says his knees are totally stable, and
he's long since regained his muscle tone. The only residual evidence is
that he sits a little askew when he's sitting up on his haunches -
looks a little Dali-esque, but his vet says not to worry since he
functions perfectly.
>
> PS: "Felix habilis" is hysterical!

Well, with his knees, we're not going to make it to felix erectus.

-L.
November 9th 05, 12:13 PM
Rebecca Root wrote:
> One of my cats, Riley, strikes me has being handier with his paws then
> what is usual, at least in my own experience. None of his paw tricks
> are unique, but taken as a group, it seems that he's really jonesing
> for an opposable thumb. Alas, his genetic line stops here. Anyway, I'm
> going to share some of his handier talents, and I'd like to hear about
> other cats with this propensity. Oh, and Riley has just the ordinary
> number of toes, in case that's relevant.
>
> Riley's typical paw feats:
>
> - he opens all the cabinets in the house, with and without handles
> - to wash his face, he holds his tail between his front paws, licks it
> up good and wet, and scrubs his face holding his tail as a wash cloth
> (beginning tool use?)
> - when I first get home and he wants attention, he'll sit on a counter
> near me and tap me on the shoulder, if I don't respond adequately, he
> bites my shoulder, thus reverting to type
> - when exploring a new food, he'll pick it up with a paw and nibble it
> out of his own palm
> - when he first wakes up, he plans a major stretch that ends with him
> tapping me on the face, either the mouth or the eyes
> - and the best, for sentimental reasons: he picked me out at Humane
> Society by reaching out of his top level cage, where I hadn't noticed
> him, and tapping me on the head.
>
> So, what do your cats do with their paws, other than the usual playing
> with toys and walking around?
>
> Becky

Both of my cats do these things. BTW, my Mimi chose me the exact same
way at the HS - giving me a little love tap so that I would notice her.
:)
-L.