PDA

View Full Version : Freckled noses on orange tabbies

Rhonda
November 8th 05, 06:18 AM
When I took Abernathy to the vet with his bladder infection, I asked the
vet quite a few other questions.

One was: What are those strange black flecks on his very pink nose?

Her answer: Freckles!

She said it is very common for orange tabbies to have freckled noses and
linings around their eyes. She said many cat-owners are concerned when
they first notice it. Anyone else's orange guy have freckles?

Abernathy must have fought to get out of the carrier right after I got
him in (I left him alone for a minute to get my purse.) His nose leather
was scraped when I took him out at the vet's, poor guy. It is healing,
but he scraped off his biggest freckle. I'm hoping it grows back.

Rhonda

November 8th 05, 06:27 AM
Rhonda wrote:
snipped
Anyone else's orange guy have freckles?

> Rhonda

No nose-freckles, but big orange Bosley has dark, big freckles all over
his lips and the inside of his mouth. I think it's called lentigo. Its
interesting that it mostly just affects orange cats.

Sherry

-L.
November 8th 05, 10:33 AM
Rhonda wrote:
> When I took Abernathy to the vet with his bladder infection, I asked the
> vet quite a few other questions.
>
> One was: What are those strange black flecks on his very pink nose?
>
> Her answer: Freckles!
>
> She said it is very common for orange tabbies to have freckled noses and
> linings around their eyes. She said many cat-owners are concerned when
> they first notice it. Anyone else's orange guy have freckles?

It's *really* common - and oh-so-cute!

> Abernathy must have fought to get out of the carrier right after I got
> him in (I left him alone for a minute to get my purse.) His nose leather
> was scraped when I took him out at the vet's, poor guy. It is healing,
> but he scraped off his biggest freckle. I'm hoping it grows back.
>
> Rhonda

It may come back in pink.
-L.

Phil P.
November 8th 05, 11:10 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Rhonda wrote:
> snipped
> Anyone else's orange guy have freckles?
> >

> > Rhonda
>
> No nose-freckles, but big orange Bosley has dark, big freckles all over
> his lips and the inside of his mouth. I think it's called lentigo. Its
> interesting that it mostly just affects orange cats.

Yup. Its called 'orange cat lentigo simplex"- caused by extra melanin
deposits in certain spots-- harmless freckles. My 'permanent foster' Neo
has them on his nose, lips and even a couple on the rims of his eyes.

Here's a close-up of the handsome guy:

http://www.maxshouse.com/Ours/neo-lentigo.jpg

Phil

November 8th 05, 02:17 PM
Yes! My Tycho has had them since kittenhood. Not on his nose, but
around his lips and eyes!

5cats
November 8th 05, 03:56 PM
Rhonda wrote:

> When I took Abernathy to the vet with his bladder infection, I asked
the
> vet quite a few other questions.
>
> One was: What are those strange black flecks on his very pink nose?
>
> Her answer: Freckles!
>
> She said it is very common for orange tabbies to have freckled noses
and
> linings around their eyes. She said many cat-owners are concerned when
> they first notice it. Anyone else's orange guy have freckles?
>
> Abernathy must have fought to get out of the carrier right after I got
> him in (I left him alone for a minute to get my purse.) His nose
leather
> was scraped when I took him out at the vet's, poor guy. It is healing,
> but he scraped off his biggest freckle. I'm hoping it grows back.
>
> Rhonda

My brown tabby has one single little freckle on his nose.

George, the big orange tabby, has big black spots on his gums and the
roof of his mouth. His nose is a mottled mix of orange and tan.

Speaking of orange cats, is it more common for orange cats to be larger
than average size than other colors?

cybercat
November 8th 05, 05:54 PM
"Phil P." > wrote :

> > No nose-freckles, but big orange Bosley has dark, big freckles all over
> > his lips and the inside of his mouth. I think it's called lentigo. Its
> > interesting that it mostly just affects orange cats.
>
> Yup. Its called 'orange cat lentigo simplex"- caused by extra melanin
> deposits in certain spots-- harmless freckles. My 'permanent foster' Neo
> has them on his nose, lips and even a couple on the rims of his eyes.
>
> Here's a close-up of the handsome guy:
>
> http://www.maxshouse.com/Ours/neo-lentigo.jpg

I thought all your cats were girlie cats! ;) He is gorgeous.

cybercat
November 8th 05, 06:17 PM
"5cats" > wrote:

> My brown tabby has one single little freckle on his nose.
>
> George, the big orange tabby, has big black spots on his gums and the
> roof of his mouth. His nose is a mottled mix of orange and tan.
>
> Speaking of orange cats, is it more common for orange cats to be larger
> than average size than other colors?

Aren't they bigger because they are usually boys? The solid orange
tabbies, I mean?

Phil P.
November 8th 05, 06:57 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote :
> > >
> > > No nose-freckles, but big orange Bosley has dark, big freckles all
over
> > > his lips and the inside of his mouth. I think it's called lentigo. Its
> > > interesting that it mostly just affects orange cats.
> >
> > Yup. Its called 'orange cat lentigo simplex"- caused by extra melanin
> > deposits in certain spots-- harmless freckles. My 'permanent foster'
Neo
> > has them on his nose, lips and even a couple on the rims of his eyes.
> >
> > Here's a close-up of the handsome guy:
> >
> > http://www.maxshouse.com/Ours/neo-lentigo.jpg
> >

> I thought all your cats were girlie cats! ;)

They are- He's a (permanent) foster. When I got him he was 21 lbs! He's
down to 17 but still looks *big*. Its hard to quesstimate the ideal weight
for orange tabbies- especially males- because they're usually naturally
*big* cats-- and incredible mushes!

Even though he's about 3x the size of my little 6 lbs. former feral, he
backs down from her every time. Its really comical to watch him run away
when she chases him off of her favorite spot. When he jumps down, he's
astonishingly graceful- like a Siberian Tiger.

> He is gorgeous.

Yeah- he's a handsome feller- with a personality to match-- unlike me! LOL!

http://www.maxshouse.com/Ours/Neo-Close-up.jpg

http://www.maxshouse.com/album/neo-spread.jpg

http://www.maxshouse.com/album/Neo-12-23-04-headshot.jpg

5cats
November 8th 05, 07:27 PM
cybercat wrote:

> "5cats" > wrote:
>> >
>> Speaking of orange cats, is it more common for orange cats to be larger
>> than average size than other colors?
>
> Aren't they bigger because they are usually boys? The solid orange
> tabbies, I mean?

I mean bigger than the average male. George, the orange one, is 21.5 (still
a bit chubby, but I think his target weight will turn out to be about 20).
My other three boys are 13 to 14 pounds. It just seems like I've seen a
lot of BIG orange cats.

Rhonda
November 9th 05, 06:41 AM
Glad to know there are other cats out there with freckles! I guess it's
a natural combo, redheads and freckles.

I think Abernathy permanently lost the biggest one. He probably did that
to become more incognito -- being in the witness protection program and
all...

Rhonda

meee
November 10th 05, 04:27 AM
yes! my jasmine has freckles around the rims of her eyes, just two though.

--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway