PDA

View Full Version : Panting like a dog - is this normal?

Juls
November 8th 05, 08:39 PM
Yeah, yeah, I'm a bit over protective. LOL.

Baby Jasmine has, since I adopted her, panted like a dog when she's had
a big round of play (heavy running and chasing). Her mouth open, tongue
hanging out a little bit, just like a dog does. (She has a couple of
other things she does that are dog-like, and I've wondered if her early
days were spent around a dog)

I wasn't concerned about this until just now, because Jack seemed to be
concerned. Or maybe just very curious.

Jasmine was chasing the laser light dot and she'll chase that thing
until *I* wear out. So I stopped and she was panting. Jack went over to
her and started sniffing her mouth, even opening his own (that weird
gland thing cats do). Maybe she'd recently cleaned her girl parts.

I don't know...he just seemed bothered by the whole panting thing and
made some sounds. Kind of like mrrps, but not exactly. He kept going
back and smelling her mouth.

So thought I'd check here just to be sure. Is panting like a dog an okay
thing for a kitten?

Thanks, Juls

p.s. I've got my wood and equipment for my cat jungle, it's cut. Lowe's
did a great job! Still more to go, but I'm getting there slowly. (Had to
build my desk first and paint the room...that's now done) I've learned
that a hole saw is a really cool device.

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

Karen
November 9th 05, 02:23 AM
On 2005-11-08 14:39:25 -0600, Juls > said:

> Yeah, yeah, I'm a bit over protective. LOL.
>
> Baby Jasmine has, since I adopted her, panted like a dog when she's had
> a big round of play (heavy running and chasing). Her mouth open, tongue
> hanging out a little bit, just like a dog does. (She has a couple of
> other things she does that are dog-like, and I've wondered if her early
> days were spent around a dog)
>
> I wasn't concerned about this until just now, because Jack seemed to be
> concerned. Or maybe just very curious.
>
> Jasmine was chasing the laser light dot and she'll chase that thing
> until *I* wear out. So I stopped and she was panting. Jack went over to
> her and started sniffing her mouth, even opening his own (that weird
> gland thing cats do). Maybe she'd recently cleaned her girl parts.
>
> I don't know...he just seemed bothered by the whole panting thing and
> made some sounds. Kind of like mrrps, but not exactly. He kept going
> back and smelling her mouth.
>
> So thought I'd check here just to be sure. Is panting like a dog an
> okay thing for a kitten?
>
> Thanks, Juls
>
> p.s. I've got my wood and equipment for my cat jungle, it's cut. Lowe's
> did a great job! Still more to go, but I'm getting there slowly. (Had
> to build my desk first and paint the room...that's now done) I've
> learned that a hole saw is a really cool device.

how long does it go on? Sugar was like this at Jazz's age, but it was a
brief pant after heavy play. She absolutely had no idea of "off" when
tired. She grew out of it about 1.5 years old or so.

Juls
November 9th 05, 02:35 AM
In article <200511082023551575%[email protected]>,
Karen > wrote:

> On 2005-11-08 14:39:25 -0600, Juls > said:
>
> > Yeah, yeah, I'm a bit over protective. LOL.
> >
> > Baby Jasmine has, since I adopted her, panted like a dog when she's had
> > a big round of play (heavy running and chasing). Her mouth open, tongue
> > hanging out a little bit, just like a dog does. (She has a couple of
> > other things she does that are dog-like, and I've wondered if her early
> > days were spent around a dog)
> >
> > I wasn't concerned about this until just now, because Jack seemed to be
> > concerned. Or maybe just very curious.
> >
> > Jasmine was chasing the laser light dot and she'll chase that thing
> > until *I* wear out. So I stopped and she was panting. Jack went over to
> > her and started sniffing her mouth, even opening his own (that weird
> > gland thing cats do). Maybe she'd recently cleaned her girl parts.
> >
> > I don't know...he just seemed bothered by the whole panting thing and
> > made some sounds. Kind of like mrrps, but not exactly. He kept going
> > back and smelling her mouth.
> >
> > So thought I'd check here just to be sure. Is panting like a dog an
> > okay thing for a kitten?
> >
> > Thanks, Juls
> >
> > p.s. I've got my wood and equipment for my cat jungle, it's cut. Lowe's
> > did a great job! Still more to go, but I'm getting there slowly. (Had
> > to build my desk first and paint the room...that's now done) I've
> > learned that a hole saw is a really cool device.
>
> how long does it go on? Sugar was like this at Jazz's age, but it was a
> brief pant after heavy play. She absolutely had no idea of "off" when
> tired. She grew out of it about 1.5 years old or so.

I really don't know. I've noticed it a few times, and it was always
after heavy play, so I didn't think anything of it. I don't think it
lasted very long. Like Sugar, she just doesn't know when to stop and I
think if I kept the laser dot going, she would chase it until she died
from starvation.

I'm going to play it safe and take her to the vet for a heart check.
(Got a call from a friend about this, and I'd rather play it safe than
sorry)

It was really Jack's reaction that got me concerned, because he was
either annoyed by it, or really concerned. And he's always been very
intuitive about things.

Poor Jazz has really bad gas now. LOL. I'm not sure what caused it, but
she's sleeping next to my feet and I keep hearing her tummy gurgle.
LOUD. There's been a horrible fly in the house for three days now, and
none of us can catch it/swat it. I've sprayed it with hairspray a few
times...maybe she finally caught it and ate it. (I have bad aim with fly
swatters and try to slow them down with hairspray...then swat them)

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

whitershadeofpale
November 9th 05, 04:09 AM
Juls wrote:
> In article <200511082023551575%[email protected]>,
> Karen > wrote:
>
> > On 2005-11-08 14:39:25 -0600, Juls > said:
> >
> > > Yeah, yeah, I'm a bit over protective. LOL.
> > >
> > > Baby Jasmine has, since I adopted her, panted like a dog when she's had
> > > a big round of play (heavy running and chasing). Her mouth open, tongue
> > > hanging out a little bit, just like a dog does. (She has a couple of
> > > other things she does that are dog-like, and I've wondered if her early
> > > days were spent around a dog)
> > >
> > > I wasn't concerned about this until just now, because Jack seemed to be
> > > concerned. Or maybe just very curious.
> > >
> > > Jasmine was chasing the laser light dot and she'll chase that thing
> > > until *I* wear out. So I stopped and she was panting. Jack went over to
> > > her and started sniffing her mouth, even opening his own (that weird
> > > gland thing cats do). Maybe she'd recently cleaned her girl parts.
> > >
> > > I don't know...he just seemed bothered by the whole panting thing and
> > > made some sounds. Kind of like mrrps, but not exactly. He kept going
> > > back and smelling her mouth.
> > >
> > > So thought I'd check here just to be sure. Is panting like a dog an
> > > okay thing for a kitten?
> > >
> > > Thanks, Juls
> > >
> > > p.s. I've got my wood and equipment for my cat jungle, it's cut. Lowe's
> > > did a great job! Still more to go, but I'm getting there slowly. (Had
> > > to build my desk first and paint the room...that's now done) I've
> > > learned that a hole saw is a really cool device.
> >
> > how long does it go on? Sugar was like this at Jazz's age, but it was a
> > brief pant after heavy play. She absolutely had no idea of "off" when
> > tired. She grew out of it about 1.5 years old or so.
>
> I really don't know. I've noticed it a few times, and it was always
> after heavy play, so I didn't think anything of it. I don't think it
> lasted very long. Like Sugar, she just doesn't know when to stop and I
> think if I kept the laser dot going, she would chase it until she died
> from starvation.
>
> I'm going to play it safe and take her to the vet for a heart check.
> (Got a call from a friend about this, and I'd rather play it safe than
> sorry)
>
> It was really Jack's reaction that got me concerned, because he was
> either annoyed by it, or really concerned. And he's always been very
> intuitive about things.
>
> Poor Jazz has really bad gas now. LOL. I'm not sure what caused it, but
> she's sleeping next to my feet and I keep hearing her tummy gurgle.
> LOUD. There's been a horrible fly in the house for three days now, and
> none of us can catch it/swat it. I've sprayed it with hairspray a few
> times...maybe she finally caught it and ate it. (I have bad aim with fly
> swatters and try to slow them down with hairspray...then swat them)
>
> --
> Email (remove annoying hyphens)
> j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

Hello

Someone posted the same symptoms one time, as I remember
it was believed to be a matter of a weaker heart, where the
heart is not getting 02 throughout the body fast enough

I'm sure it could be many things. smaller lungs, smaller heart,
enlarged heart / (where it cannot function to capacity)

Best to ya!

Barb
November 9th 05, 04:06 PM
My Sapphire cat did this once when she got overheated at the beach. Nothing
ever came of it. We quickly got her out of the sun and back home.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

November 9th 05, 07:01 PM
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 02:35:52 GMT, Juls >
wrote:

<snippage>

>I really don't know. I've noticed it a few times, and it was always
>after heavy play, so I didn't think anything of it. I don't think it
>lasted very long. Like Sugar, she just doesn't know when to stop and I
>think if I kept the laser dot going, she would chase it until she died
>from starvation.
>
>I'm going to play it safe and take her to the vet for a heart check.
>(Got a call from a friend about this, and I'd rather play it safe than
>sorry)
>
>It was really Jack's reaction that got me concerned, because he was
>either annoyed by it, or really concerned. And he's always been very
>intuitive about things.
>
>Poor Jazz has really bad gas now. LOL. I'm not sure what caused it, but
>she's sleeping next to my feet and I keep hearing her tummy gurgle.
>LOUD. There's been a horrible fly in the house for three days now, and
>none of us can catch it/swat it. I've sprayed it with hairspray a few
>times...maybe she finally caught it and ate it. (I have bad aim with fly
>swatters and try to slow them down with hairspray...then swat them)

I think it's a good idea to take her to the vet. Open-mouthed panting
can be a sign of a couple of serious things, not the least of which is
hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a very serious heart disease. Best case
scenario is that some younger cats especially just don't know when to
stop playing, and get overheated. Does it go on for quite awhile
after she stops playing, or does she breathe normally after a short
period of time? The former may indicate a more serious problem.

Hope she's okay, and you get good news from the vet.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~summer/index.htm (genealogy)
Animals in Movies Website)

Juls
November 9th 05, 10:58 PM
In article >,
wrote:

> Does it go on for quite awhile
> after she stops playing, or does she breathe normally after a short
> period of time? The former may indicate a more serious problem.

Since I hadn't really paid that much attention to it, I'm not entirely
sure. But I think it settles down fairly quickly. I'm very hopeful it's
just her not knowing when to quit. She has an appointment with her vet
next week (vet wasn't in until then, and I would rather wait on her than
go with someone else).

The times it's happened were always after she's been running, either
from room to room (which she does, and doesn't stop, plus makes detours
on and off of anything she sees), or going after her laser dot. I've
never seen a cat play as hard as she does, and that's a lifetime of cats.

When we get started with the laser dot (that I use as a nighttime way to
wear her out so she'll sleep through the night), I'm always the one who
tires first. And I'm just sitting there pointing it around the room! By
the time I stop, I'm nearly panting myself just from watching her.

Usually when she wakes up from a nap, she's a sleepy head for a couple
of minutes. She has bed head and her eyes are squinty and she does a lot
of stretching and yawning. (She's also super cuddly) But if she wakes up
and sees the dot, she's off immediately, running and going crazy for it.

I've really never seen anything like it...this dot is her crack pipe.

So I'm really hoping that the panting is my fault for not stopping the
dot sooner.

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

Brian Link
November 11th 05, 04:57 AM
On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 20:39:25 GMT, Juls >
wrote:

>Yeah, yeah, I'm a bit over protective. LOL.
>
>Baby Jasmine has, since I adopted her, panted like a dog when she's had
>a big round of play (heavy running and chasing). Her mouth open, tongue
>hanging out a little bit, just like a dog does. (She has a couple of
>other things she does that are dog-like, and I've wondered if her early
>days were spent around a dog)
>
>I wasn't concerned about this until just now, because Jack seemed to be
>concerned. Or maybe just very curious.
>
>Jasmine was chasing the laser light dot and she'll chase that thing
>until *I* wear out. So I stopped and she was panting. Jack went over to
>her and started sniffing her mouth, even opening his own (that weird
>gland thing cats do). Maybe she'd recently cleaned her girl parts.
>
>I don't know...he just seemed bothered by the whole panting thing and
>made some sounds. Kind of like mrrps, but not exactly. He kept going
>back and smelling her mouth.
>
>So thought I'd check here just to be sure. Is panting like a dog an okay
>thing for a kitten?
>
>Thanks, Juls
>
>p.s. I've got my wood and equipment for my cat jungle, it's cut. Lowe's
>did a great job! Still more to go, but I'm getting there slowly. (Had to
>build my desk first and paint the room...that's now done) I've learned
>that a hole saw is a really cool device.

I've only had a little over a dozen cats to observe, and am no
expert.. but I wanted to chime in.

None of my cats have ever panted as a result of exertion. The only
time I've seen a cat pant is in emotional distress (panicked in a
vet's office, after a serious injury, etc), and a brother's cat who
panted with exertion but who had a serious heart condition.

Take in the advice of others, but in my limited experience this is not
normal - have a vet do a quick CV exam.

BLink

Juls
November 11th 05, 06:22 AM
In article >,
Brian Link > wrote:

> I've only had a little over a dozen cats to observe, and am no
> expert.. but I wanted to chime in.
>
> None of my cats have ever panted as a result of exertion. The only
> time I've seen a cat pant is in emotional distress (panicked in a
> vet's office, after a serious injury, etc), and a brother's cat who
> panted with exertion but who had a serious heart condition.
>
> Take in the advice of others, but in my limited experience this is not
> normal - have a vet do a quick CV exam.
>
> BLink

Yeah, I've only known cats to pant while in the car headed to a vet
appointment. That's why this seemed so bizarre (plus Jack's reaction to
it).

I'm officially worried about it, and have an appointment next week with
her vet.

I've let her chase the laser dot, but now I'm so worried she'll have a
heart attack that I stop it long before I used to. So she hasn't panted
again. (But I've sure been obsessed with her breathing!)

Poor little thing. She's such a sweetie.

I've got to try and stop reading about cardiomyopathy online...I'm about
to make myself sick over it all.

I'm really upset by it, god dammit.

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

Rhonda
November 11th 05, 07:44 AM
Juls,

One of our cats did not know when to stop playing when she was younger.
She would push herself to the point of panting. She would do that pretty
often if I didn't stop first.

I'm glad you're taking her in for a check, that's the best thing to do
for her (actually for both of you -- I know what it's like to worry.)

I wanted you to know though about our crazy cat who seems just fine.

Rhonda

Juls wrote:

> Yeah, I've only known cats to pant while in the car headed to a vet
> appointment. That's why this seemed so bizarre (plus Jack's reaction to
> it).
>
> I'm officially worried about it, and have an appointment next week with
> her vet.

Juls
November 11th 05, 04:15 PM
In article >,
Rhonda > wrote:

> Juls,
>
> One of our cats did not know when to stop playing when she was younger.
> She would push herself to the point of panting. She would do that pretty
> often if I didn't stop first.
>
> I'm glad you're taking her in for a check, that's the best thing to do
> for her (actually for both of you -- I know what it's like to worry.)
>
> I wanted you to know though about our crazy cat who seems just fine.

Thanks, Rhonda. I think I had an attack of self pity last night,
thinking worst case scenario. I was thinking what a cruel twist of fate
it would be to have to face heart problems and possibly a short life
span so soon after losing Dmitri.

And then I just cried and cried for Jack, because bless his heart, he's
gone through so much loss in his life.

Today I have a better spin on it, and that's that if she *does* have a
heart problem, then I know for sure Dmitri picked her out for me. I may
not know that much about cat health (which is why I come here), but I'm
willing to learn and do everything I can to give them a good life. He
knew that.

But I'm really hopeful it will be okay. Jack and I love that little
sprite so much.

Juls

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

November 11th 05, 09:51 PM
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 06:22:20 GMT, Juls >
wrote:

>Yeah, I've only known cats to pant while in the car headed to a vet
>appointment. That's why this seemed so bizarre (plus Jack's reaction to
>it).
>
>I'm officially worried about it, and have an appointment next week with
>her vet.
>
>I've let her chase the laser dot, but now I'm so worried she'll have a
>heart attack that I stop it long before I used to. So she hasn't panted
>again. (But I've sure been obsessed with her breathing!)
>
>Poor little thing. She's such a sweetie.
>
>I've got to try and stop reading about cardiomyopathy online...I'm about
>to make myself sick over it all.
>
>I'm really upset by it, god dammit.

I'm so sorry if I upset you. If it helps any, I have had three
panting cats, only one of which turned out to have cardiomyopathy.
The second, Wolfie, was a kitten at the time and didn't know when to
slow down (he has since slowed down and no longer pants), and the
third, Merlyn, apparently has heat intolerance, of all things. Both
of those two have been checked by vets and are just fine. Hope you
get good news from your vet next week!

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~summer/index.htm (genealogy)
Animals in Movies Website)

Juls
November 11th 05, 10:42 PM
In article >,
wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 06:22:20 GMT, Juls >
> wrote:
>

> >Yeah, I've only known cats to pant while in the car headed to a vet
> >appointment. That's why this seemed so bizarre (plus Jack's reaction to
> >it).
> >
> >I'm officially worried about it, and have an appointment next week with
> >her vet.
> >
> >I've let her chase the laser dot, but now I'm so worried she'll have a
> >heart attack that I stop it long before I used to. So she hasn't panted
> >again. (But I've sure been obsessed with her breathing!)
> >
> >Poor little thing. She's such a sweetie.
> >
> >I've got to try and stop reading about cardiomyopathy online...I'm about
> >to make myself sick over it all.
> >
> >I'm really upset by it, god dammit.
>
> I'm so sorry if I upset you. If it helps any, I have had three
> panting cats, only one of which turned out to have cardiomyopathy.
> The second, Wolfie, was a kitten at the time and didn't know when to
> slow down (he has since slowed down and no longer pants), and the
> third, Merlyn, apparently has heat intolerance, of all things. Both
> of those two have been checked by vets and are just fine. Hope you
> get good news from your vet next week!

No, no, no, Ginger-lyn, you didn't upset me! You're not the only one who
has suggested cardiomyopathy, plus I'm still grieving for Dmitri, who
passed away in his sleep. (He was 16 and had early stage CRF, but his
death was a horrible shock and devastated Jack and me) I upset myself by
thinking worst case scenario when she hasn't even had her exam yet.

I'm always very emotional when it comes to my pets. (Gee, is that
obvious??) Jasmine (the panting kitten) is deaf, and it was just tearing
me up that she might have a heart problem too. But now I'm just hoping
she doesn't, and if she does, then I'm glad I adopted her and not
someone who wouldn't care and wouldn't do what's necessary to help her
live a good life. I was also really upset thinking about Jack, and how
horrible it would be for him to lose another buddy. Dmitri's death tore
him up so much. (He's had loss...started out as a feral, then was
adopted, had some tragedy in that, and then was given up by his owner
who was dying of breast cancer...I adopted him from her and he had to
travel halfway across the country to get to me, but he's been so happy)

Tell me, what kind of tests did they do on your cats with the panting?
My vet does not have a sonogram machine, so I'm wondering if I'll be
okay with her analysis, or need to find one somewhere with a machine. I
trust my vet, but I'm also bad about second guessing things, and I don't
want to miss something because I didn't get a sonogram.

I should start a new thread and ask others as well....

Juls

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

November 12th 05, 07:15 PM
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 22:42:21 GMT, Juls >
wrote:

>No, no, no, Ginger-lyn, you didn't upset me! You're not the only one who
>has suggested cardiomyopathy, plus I'm still grieving for Dmitri, who
>passed away in his sleep. (He was 16 and had early stage CRF, but his
>death was a horrible shock and devastated Jack and me) I upset myself by
>thinking worst case scenario when she hasn't even had her exam yet.

I'm so sorry about yoru Dmitri. I know how hard it is to lose a
beloved cat. I lost my Sabra in May of this year to probable
lymphoma, and I am still missing him terribly. My Cosmo is 15, and
has CRF and a heart murmur (was diagnosed in May 2000, and he is still
with us, which is a gift). Cosmo grieved terribly when Tiki died in
January 1996, so I understand that, too. It is painful all around.

>I'm always very emotional when it comes to my pets. (Gee, is that
>obvious??) Jasmine (the panting kitten) is deaf, and it was just tearing
>me up that she might have a heart problem too. But now I'm just hoping
>she doesn't, and if she does, then I'm glad I adopted her and not
>someone who wouldn't care and wouldn't do what's necessary to help her
>live a good life. I was also really upset thinking about Jack, and how
>horrible it would be for him to lose another buddy. Dmitri's death tore
>him up so much. (He's had loss...started out as a feral, then was
>adopted, had some tragedy in that, and then was given up by his owner
>who was dying of breast cancer...I adopted him from her and he had to
>travel halfway across the country to get to me, but he's been so happy)

Wow, Jack sure has had a lot of life experience. I'm glad he's a
happy guy.

>Tell me, what kind of tests did they do on your cats with the panting?
>My vet does not have a sonogram machine, so I'm wondering if I'll be
>okay with her analysis, or need to find one somewhere with a machine. I
>trust my vet, but I'm also bad about second guessing things, and I don't
>want to miss something because I didn't get a sonogram.

My vets tend to be conservative, and did not do any major tests, other
than listening carefully to the heart and lungs, where they heard no
problems for Wolfie or Merlyn. If you can afford it, the
echocardiogram, I believe, is the test of choice to determine heart
problems and the exact nature of them.

>I should start a new thread and ask others as well....
>
>Juls

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~summer/index.htm (genealogy)
Animals in Movies Website)

Candace
November 13th 05, 01:07 AM
Juls wrote:

> Yeah, I've only known cats to pant while in the car headed to a vet
> appointment. That's why this seemed so bizarre (plus Jack's reaction to
> it).
>
> I'm officially worried about it, and have an appointment next week with
> her vet.
>
> I've let her chase the laser dot, but now I'm so worried she'll have a
> heart attack that I stop it long before I used to. So she hasn't panted
> again. (But I've sure been obsessed with her breathing!)
>
> Poor little thing. She's such a sweetie.
>
> I've got to try and stop reading about cardiomyopathy online...I'm about
> to make myself sick over it all.
>
> I'm really upset by it, god dammit.
>
> --
> Email (remove annoying hyphens)
> j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

My cat Abbey used to do it, too, when she was a kitten and would play
hard. I had never seen it either and took her to the vet. They didn't
seem concerned. I think I read that if it stops in about a minute,
it's probably just from overexertion. I believe hers stopped fairly
quickly and then she outgrew it when she was about 9 months to a year
old.

The weird thing is she did develop chylothorax when she was almost 4
years old but no one has indicated that they were related and she does,
thankfully, seem to be cured (knock on wood) now.

It can't hurt to take her to the vet but it's probably nothing. I
thought mostly male cats got HCM, is that not true? and that they are
generally around 2-4 when it happen? I may be wrong, though, as I
haven't read much on it.

Candace