PDA

View Full Version : Baby Kitten w/dry flaky skin...Help!

November 9th 05, 01:23 AM
I found a Kitten in a bush a little over a week ago. He was so
obviously not supposed to be away from mom yet! He's been wonderful
though. I cleaned him up, got rid of the fleas and he's eating dry cat
food and I also feed him a little baby food every now & then. I'm not
gonna get to into the details but I have 4 other cats & when I brought
him home I immediatlly put a little bowl of dry food in front of him.
He barried his face into it. It was obvious he hadn't ever ate actual
cat food. He's siamese too so I couldn't possibly have given him up!
When I first got him I noticed the tips of his ears were a bit raggedy.
Well, today, a week & a 1/2 later it's looking worse & now it's on his
tail as well. Like I said it's just dry & flaky. Not red or purple. I
plan to take him to the vet as soon as he's ready to be neutered unless
of course I have absolutely no other choice! I just really can't afford
to bring him now when I know I'm gonna have to bring him again in a
month or so. I'm hoping someone can tell me if I can take care of this
with a cream or vitamin I can buy from the Pet Store.
Thanks
tela28

PawsForThought
November 9th 05, 01:28 AM
wrote:
> When I first got him I noticed the tips of his ears were a bit raggedy.
> Well, today, a week & a 1/2 later it's looking worse & now it's on his
> tail as well. Like I said it's just dry & flaky. Not red or purple. I
> plan to take him to the vet as soon as he's ready to be neutered unless
> of course I have absolutely no other choice! I just really can't afford
> to bring him now when I know I'm gonna have to bring him again in a
> month or so. I'm hoping someone can tell me if I can take care of this
> with a cream or vitamin I can buy from the Pet Store.
> Thanks
> tela28

Congrats on your new kitty :) I honestly think he needs to be seen by
a vet now. I wouldn't wait.

Magic Mood Jeep©
November 9th 05, 02:11 AM
wrote:
> I found a Kitten in a bush a little over a week ago. He was so
> obviously not supposed to be away from mom yet! He's been wonderful
> though. I cleaned him up, got rid of the fleas and he's eating dry cat
> food and I also feed him a little baby food every now & then. I'm not
> gonna get to into the details but I have 4 other cats & when I brought
> him home I immediatlly put a little bowl of dry food in front of him.
> He burried his face into it. It was obvious he hadn't ever ate actual
> cat food. He's Siamese too so I couldn't possibly have given him up!
> When I first got him I noticed the tips of his ears were a bit
> raggedy. Well, today, a week & a 1/2 later it's looking worse & now
> it's on his tail as well. Like I said it's just dry & flaky. Not red
> or purple. I plan to take him to the vet as soon as he's ready to be
> neutered unless of course I have absolutely no other choice! I just
> really can't afford to bring him now when I know I'm gonna have to
> bring him again in a month or so. I'm hoping someone can tell me if I
> can take care of this with a cream or vitamin I can buy from the Pet
> Store.
> Thanks
> tela28

If he has thinning hair or bald patches where you say the dry & flaky
patches are, there is the possibility that it is ringworm - only a vet could
diagnose for sure.

The bad news is: ringworms is contagious, and not only for your other cats,
but for *you* as well.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ringworm&btnG=Google+Search

Lumpy
November 9th 05, 04:38 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I found a Kitten in a bush a little over a week ago.

Vet.

cybercat
November 9th 05, 04:39 AM
"PawsForThought" > wrote:>
> Congrats on your new kitty :) I honestly think he needs to be seen by
> a vet now. I wouldn't wait.

Me either. They are so delicate at that age, they can die in
a heartbeat.

Rhonda
November 9th 05, 06:31 AM
It could be ringworm (a fungus) or lots of other things.

Anything on a cat that young needs to be nipped in the bud right away.
Take him in now, and hold off on the neuter another month if you need
to. This needs to be a priority.

Let us know how he's doing!

Rhonda

wrote:

> I found a Kitten in a bush a little over a week ago. He was so
> obviously not supposed to be away from mom yet! He's been wonderful
> though. I cleaned him up, got rid of the fleas and he's eating dry cat
> food and I also feed him a little baby food every now & then. I'm not
> gonna get to into the details but I have 4 other cats & when I brought
> him home I immediatlly put a little bowl of dry food in front of him.
> He barried his face into it. It was obvious he hadn't ever ate actual
> cat food. He's siamese too so I couldn't possibly have given him up!
> When I first got him I noticed the tips of his ears were a bit raggedy.
> Well, today, a week & a 1/2 later it's looking worse & now it's on his
> tail as well. Like I said it's just dry & flaky. Not red or purple. I
> plan to take him to the vet as soon as he's ready to be neutered unless
> of course I have absolutely no other choice! I just really can't afford
> to bring him now when I know I'm gonna have to bring him again in a
> month or so. I'm hoping someone can tell me if I can take care of this
> with a cream or vitamin I can buy from the Pet Store.
> Thanks
> tela28

Linda Terrell
November 9th 05, 01:12 PM
In article . com>,
wrote:

> I found a Kitten in a bush a little over a week ago. He was so
> obviously not supposed to be away from mom yet! He's been wonderful
> though. I cleaned him up, got rid of the fleas and he's eating dry cat
> food and I also feed him a little baby food every now & then. I'm not
> gonna get to into the details but I have 4 other cats & when I brought
> him home I immediatlly put a little bowl of dry food in front of him.
> He barried his face into it. It was obvious he hadn't ever ate actual
> cat food. He's siamese too so I couldn't possibly have given him up!
> When I first got him I noticed the tips of his ears were a bit raggedy.
> Well, today, a week & a 1/2 later it's looking worse & now it's on his
> tail as well. Like I said it's just dry & flaky. Not red or purple. I
> plan to take him to the vet as soon as he's ready to be neutered unless
> of course I have absolutely no other choice! I just really can't afford
> to bring him now when I know I'm gonna have to bring him again in a
> month or so. I'm hoping someone can tell me if I can take care of this
> with a cream or vitamin I can buy from the Pet Store.
> Thanks
> tela28

please don't feed it bay food unless you mean kitten
food. And I'd try giving it some wet kitten food.
Dry food contributes to dry skin.

Human baby food often has onion powder in it and that is
toxic to cats.

LT

Magic Mood Jeep©
November 9th 05, 03:37 PM
Linda Terrell wrote:
> In article . com>,
> wrote:
>
>> I found a Kitten in a bush a little over a week ago. He was so
>> obviously not supposed to be away from mom yet! He's been wonderful
>> though. I cleaned him up, got rid of the fleas and he's eating dry
>> cat food and I also feed him a little baby food every now & then.
>> I'm not gonna get to into the details but I have 4 other cats & when
>> I brought him home I immediatlly put a little bowl of dry food in
>> front of him. He barried his face into it. It was obvious he hadn't
>> ever ate actual cat food. He's siamese too so I couldn't possibly
>> have given him up! When I first got him I noticed the tips of his
>> ears were a bit raggedy. Well, today, a week & a 1/2 later it's
>> looking worse & now it's on his tail as well. Like I said it's just
>> dry & flaky. Not red or purple. I plan to take him to the vet as
>> soon as he's ready to be neutered unless of course I have absolutely
>> no other choice! I just really can't afford to bring him now when I
>> know I'm gonna have to bring him again in a month or so. I'm hoping
>> someone can tell me if I can take care of this with a cream or
>> vitamin I can buy from the Pet Store.
>> Thanks
>> tela28
>
> please don't feed it bay food unless you mean kitten
> food. And I'd try giving it some wet kitten food.
> Dry food contributes to dry skin.
>
> Human baby food often has onion powder in it and that is
> toxic to cats.

If tela28 is feeding human baby food, if it is meat-only flavors (chicken,
ham, turkey, lamb), that is fine. That's what I mixed with powdered KMR and
canned kitten food when I was weaning Weeble.

--
Help the animals of Monroe County
http://www.justgiving.com/pfp/nalee1964

The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Frank Pittel
November 11th 05, 07:31 AM
wrote:
[...]

It sounds like ringworm. Get the little guy to the vet right away. I got
a kitten from a shelter last summer and unknown to me when I got him he
had ringworm. It wasn't until a couple weeks later that his fur started to
fall out. The skin was exactly as you describe.

It is not only highly contagious to other cats but humans as well. In my case
it wasn't expensive to deal with, just unpleasant. The key is that it gets dealt
with quickly and aggressively<SP?>.
--