PDA

View Full Version : more on the heart & kidney problems

Glitter Ninja
November 9th 05, 12:49 AM
Hi all! I posted last week about Spam, my 13 year old boy cat who has
a heart murmur and kidney problems. We had the ultrasound today and got
some better news. The murmur/cardiomyopathy is the most serious problem
so he's been put on atenolol. He's got a checkup in a week and once his
heart rate stabilizes he should do well.
He does have CRT but his kidneys right now are in good shape, with
only a little irregularity in their shape and some calcium deposits.
He's on the Eukanuba brand renal multi-stage food (which he loves). The
only worry is that if he has to be on fluids later on, that might
exacerbate the heart problem. But we'll worry about that later.
Spam's been a good kitty despite being cranky over car rides, vet
visits, and accidentally getting locked in a bedroom yesterday. The vet
students all fawned over him which he loved, but then he peed all over
me and the carrier when we got home. I'm sure I deserved it ;)
Thanks for all the info you guys posted. It really helped me be able
to ask better questions of the vet today.

Stacia

cybercat
November 9th 05, 02:03 AM
"Glitter Ninja" > wrote in message
> Hi all! I posted last week about Spam, my 13 year old boy cat who has
> a heart murmur and kidney problems. We had the ultrasound today and got
> some better news. The murmur/cardiomyopathy is the most serious problem
> so he's been put on atenolol. He's got a checkup in a week and once his
> heart rate stabilizes he should do well.
> He does have CRT but his kidneys right now are in good shape, with
> only a little irregularity in their shape and some calcium deposits.

Wonderful news.

[...]
> Thanks for all the info you guys posted. It really helped me be able
> to ask better questions of the vet today.

Please do keep us posted on Spam's progress.