PDA

View Full Version : Can your cat make you crazy?


Elizabeth Blake
November 9th 05, 02:54 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com//front/story/363609p-309552c.html


Does this explain that crazy lady in Apt. 5B?




BY JORDAN LITE
DAILY NEWS HEALTH WRITER

Can your cat make you crazy?
Dr. Fuller Torrey is studying whether a parasite in Fluffy's droppings
causes schizophrenia, a mental illness that strikes 2.2 million Americans
and is characterized by hallucinations, delusions and trouble regulating
emotions.

The Washington-area psychiatrist has found that people with
schizophrenia were more likely to have had pet cats as young children, or
their mothers kept the animals during their pregnancies. Torrey is now
testing antibiotics against the feline parasite Toxoplasma gondii to treat
schizophrenia, according to an article in the December issue of Esquire. "My
wife thinks I'm probably ultimately going to be assassinated by [cat
lovers]," Torrey told the Daily News yesterday. Still, "Not only cats, but
virtually all animals carry transmissible agents, and some carry
transmissible agents that have had profound implications for the human
race."

Torrey, president of the Stanley Medical Research Institute, believes
that swallowing or breathing parasitic spores from cat waste causes
schizophrenia. While hardly conventional wisdom, his theory is part of
scientists' growing interest in the potential environmental influences on
the development of mental illnesses, said Dr. Donna Anthony, clinical
program director for psychotic disorders at New York-Presbyterian
Hospital/Westchester.

While today most experts believe that schizophrenia is inherited, some
psychiatrists of the past blamed it on a patient's upbringing.

"I don't think the cause [from cats] is so direct, but certainly all
the research into possible contributions of [infections] before birth and in
early childhood bringing out a predisposition to schizophrenia is a
productive line of research," Anthony said.

Torrey advises parents not to buy pet cats for young children, and to
cover their sandboxes to prevent cats from using them as litter boxes.

But his theory shouldn't prompt cat lovers to abandon their furry
friends, said Dr. Jeffrey Lieberman, chairman of psychiatry at Columbia
University Medical Center.

"I wouldn't get rid of my pet just on the basis of this theoretical
speculation - unless you are looking for a reason to get rid of it anyway,"
Lie-berman said.

Originally published on November 8, 2005

No More Retail
November 9th 05, 03:12 AM
I think I am going to go have to pay this person a visit.
I think a game of baseball is in order with his head as the ball?
Anyone up for a drive I will pay for the gas ;-)

Juls
November 9th 05, 03:20 AM
Oh good god. E Fuller Torrey not only is a fascist (who believes persons
with psychiatric illness, including depression, should be put back in
their place....in state hospitals), he's been trying to promote this
cats cause schizophrenia for years and years.

Fortunately, few people take him seriously these days. He's a crank with
a basement full of brains. There's no evidence for this theory, but he
just can't let it go. Poor guy keeps hoping he's going to be the new
Barry Warren (the researcher who was convinced H. Pylori caused ulcers
and recently won the Nobel Prize for it)

Not shooting the messenger, Elizabeth...I'm glad you posted. I didn't
realize he was still trying to get anyone to listen to this nonsense.
The Daily News is about ten years late with this story.

Juls

p.s. In some circles, he's known as E Fuller Toiletry.


In article t>,
"Elizabeth Blake" > wrote:

> http://www.nydailynews.com//front/story/363609p-309552c.html
>
>
> Does this explain that crazy lady in Apt. 5B?


>
>
> BY JORDAN LITE
> DAILY NEWS HEALTH WRITER
>
> Can your cat make you crazy?
> Dr. Fuller Torrey is studying whether a parasite in Fluffy's droppings
> causes schizophrenia, a mental illness that strikes 2.2 million Americans
> and is characterized by hallucinations, delusions and trouble regulating
> emotions.
>
> The Washington-area psychiatrist has found that people with
> schizophrenia were more likely to have had pet cats as young children, or
> their mothers kept the animals during their pregnancies. Torrey is now
> testing antibiotics against the feline parasite Toxoplasma gondii to treat
> schizophrenia, according to an article in the December issue of Esquire. "My
> wife thinks I'm probably ultimately going to be assassinated by [cat
> lovers]," Torrey told the Daily News yesterday. Still, "Not only cats, but
> virtually all animals carry transmissible agents, and some carry
> transmissible agents that have had profound implications for the human
> race."
>
> Torrey, president of the Stanley Medical Research Institute, believes
> that swallowing or breathing parasitic spores from cat waste causes
> schizophrenia. While hardly conventional wisdom, his theory is part of
> scientists' growing interest in the potential environmental influences on
> the development of mental illnesses, said Dr. Donna Anthony, clinical
> program director for psychotic disorders at New York-Presbyterian
> Hospital/Westchester.
>
> While today most experts believe that schizophrenia is inherited, some
> psychiatrists of the past blamed it on a patient's upbringing.
>
> "I don't think the cause [from cats] is so direct, but certainly all
> the research into possible contributions of [infections] before birth and in
> early childhood bringing out a predisposition to schizophrenia is a
> productive line of research," Anthony said.
>
> Torrey advises parents not to buy pet cats for young children, and to
> cover their sandboxes to prevent cats from using them as litter boxes.
>
> But his theory shouldn't prompt cat lovers to abandon their furry
> friends, said Dr. Jeffrey Lieberman, chairman of psychiatry at Columbia
> University Medical Center.
>
> "I wouldn't get rid of my pet just on the basis of this theoretical
> speculation - unless you are looking for a reason to get rid of it anyway,"
> Lie-berman said.
>
> Originally published on November 8, 2005

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

Juls
November 9th 05, 03:25 AM
In article >,
"No More Retail" > wrote:

> I think I am going to go have to pay this person a visit.
> I think a game of baseball is in order with his head as the ball?
> Anyone up for a drive I will pay for the gas ;-)

He's 900 years old, or close to it, if you get my drift. ;-)

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

Karen
November 9th 05, 03:42 AM
On 2005-11-08 21:20:42 -0600, Juls > said:

> Oh good god. E Fuller Torrey not only is a fascist (who believes
> persons with psychiatric illness, including depression, should be put
> back in their place....in state hospitals), he's been trying to promote
> this cats cause schizophrenia for years and years.
>
> Fortunately, few people take him seriously these days. He's a crank
> with a basement full of brains. There's no evidence for this theory,
> but he just can't let it go. Poor guy keeps hoping he's going to be the
> new Barry Warren (the researcher who was convinced H. Pylori caused
> ulcers and recently won the Nobel Prize for it)
>
> Not shooting the messenger, Elizabeth...I'm glad you posted. I didn't
> realize he was still trying to get anyone to listen to this nonsense.
> The Daily News is about ten years late with this story.
>
> Juls
>
> p.s. In some circles, he's known as E Fuller Toiletry.


Me thinks someone needs to alert the ny daily news that they are really
scratching the depths for their stories.
>

Frank Pittel
November 9th 05, 04:08 AM
I don't know if the can make you crazy. I do know that they can
drive you out of your mind and drive a grown man to drink!! :-)



Elizabeth Blake > wrote:
: http://www.nydailynews.com//front/story/363609p-309552c.html


: Does this explain that crazy lady in Apt. 5B?




: BY JORDAN LITE
: DAILY NEWS HEALTH WRITER

: Can your cat make you crazy?
: Dr. Fuller Torrey is studying whether a parasite in Fluffy's droppings
: causes schizophrenia, a mental illness that strikes 2.2 million Americans
: and is characterized by hallucinations, delusions and trouble regulating
: emotions.

: The Washington-area psychiatrist has found that people with
: schizophrenia were more likely to have had pet cats as young children, or
: their mothers kept the animals during their pregnancies. Torrey is now
: testing antibiotics against the feline parasite Toxoplasma gondii to treat
: schizophrenia, according to an article in the December issue of Esquire. "My
: wife thinks I'm probably ultimately going to be assassinated by [cat
: lovers]," Torrey told the Daily News yesterday. Still, "Not only cats, but
: virtually all animals carry transmissible agents, and some carry
: transmissible agents that have had profound implications for the human
: race."

: Torrey, president of the Stanley Medical Research Institute, believes
: that swallowing or breathing parasitic spores from cat waste causes
: schizophrenia. While hardly conventional wisdom, his theory is part of
: scientists' growing interest in the potential environmental influences on
: the development of mental illnesses, said Dr. Donna Anthony, clinical
: program director for psychotic disorders at New York-Presbyterian
: Hospital/Westchester.

: While today most experts believe that schizophrenia is inherited, some
: psychiatrists of the past blamed it on a patient's upbringing.

: "I don't think the cause [from cats] is so direct, but certainly all
: the research into possible contributions of [infections] before birth and in
: early childhood bringing out a predisposition to schizophrenia is a
: productive line of research," Anthony said.

: Torrey advises parents not to buy pet cats for young children, and to
: cover their sandboxes to prevent cats from using them as litter boxes.

: But his theory shouldn't prompt cat lovers to abandon their furry
: friends, said Dr. Jeffrey Lieberman, chairman of psychiatry at Columbia
: University Medical Center.

: "I wouldn't get rid of my pet just on the basis of this theoretical
: speculation - unless you are looking for a reason to get rid of it anyway,"
: Lie-berman said.

: Originally published on November 8, 2005




--




-------------------
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you

No More Retail
November 9th 05, 04:17 AM
Frank that is a woman not a cat it takes at least 2 cats to drive a man
crazy ;-)

whitershadeofpale
November 9th 05, 12:09 PM
No More Retail wrote:
> Frank that is a woman not a cat it takes at least 2 cats to drive a man
> crazy ;-)

My friend takes her little esspresso drinking dog to the vet, she tells
the vet
my dog needs a chill pill

My freind comes back and says, there was nothing wrong with the dog, it
was me!
The vet told her SHE needed a valium, not the dog.

Two for me please! :0

Wayne Mitchell
November 9th 05, 03:37 PM
"No More Retail" > wrote:

> it takes at least 2 cats to drive a man
>crazy ;-)

If there is only one cat in the household, he or she can usually
drive the resident slave(s) around the bend unaided. But it
certainly is more fun, for cats and slaves alike, if there are
more cats to share the job.

--

Wayne M.

mlbriggs
November 9th 05, 05:52 PM
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 03:20:42 +0000, Juls wrote:

> Oh good god. E Fuller Torrey not only is a fascist (who believes persons
> with psychiatric illness, including depression, should be put back in
> their place....in state hospitals), he's been trying to promote this cats
> cause schizophrenia for years and years.
>
> Fortunately, few people take him seriously these days. He's a crank with a
> basement full of brains. There's no evidence for this theory, but he just
> can't let it go. Poor guy keeps hoping he's going to be the new Barry
> Warren (the researcher who was convinced H. Pylori caused ulcers and
> recently won the Nobel Prize for it)
>
> Not shooting the messenger, Elizabeth...I'm glad you posted. I didn't
> realize he was still trying to get anyone to listen to this nonsense. The
> Daily News is about ten years late with this story.
>
> Juls
>
> p.s. In some circles, he's known as E Fuller Toiletry.
>
>
> In article t>,
> "Elizabeth Blake" > wrote:
>
>> http://www.nydailynews.com//front/story/363609p-309552c.html
>>
>>
>> Does this explain that crazy lady in Apt. 5B?
>
>
>
>>
>> BY JORDAN LITE
>> DAILY NEWS HEALTH WRITER
>>
>> Can your cat make you crazy?
>> Dr. Fuller Torrey is studying whether a parasite in Fluffy's
>> droppings
>> causes schizophrenia, a mental illness that strikes 2.2 million
>> Americans and is characterized by hallucinations, delusions and trouble
>> regulating emotions.
>>
>> The Washington-area psychiatrist has found that people with
>> schizophrenia were more likely to have had pet cats as young children,
>> or their mothers kept the animals during their pregnancies. Torrey is
>> now testing antibiotics against the feline parasite Toxoplasma gondii to
>> treat schizophrenia, according to an article in the December issue of
>> Esquire. "My wife thinks I'm probably ultimately going to be
>> assassinated by [cat lovers]," Torrey told the Daily News yesterday.
>> Still, "Not only cats, but virtually all animals carry transmissible
>> agents, and some carry transmissible agents that have had profound
>> implications for the human race."
>>
>> Torrey, president of the Stanley Medical Research Institute,
>> believes
>> that swallowing or breathing parasitic spores from cat waste causes
>> schizophrenia. While hardly conventional wisdom, his theory is part of
>> scientists' growing interest in the potential environmental influences
>> on the development of mental illnesses, said Dr. Donna Anthony, clinical
>> program director for psychotic disorders at New York-Presbyterian
>> Hospital/Westchester.
>>
>> While today most experts believe that schizophrenia is inherited,
>> some
>> psychiatrists of the past blamed it on a patient's upbringing.
>>
>> "I don't think the cause [from cats] is so direct, but certainly
>> all
>> the research into possible contributions of [infections] before birth
>> and in early childhood bringing out a predisposition to schizophrenia is
>> a productive line of research," Anthony said.
>>
>> Torrey advises parents not to buy pet cats for young children, and
>> to
>> cover their sandboxes to prevent cats from using them as litter boxes.
>>
>> But his theory shouldn't prompt cat lovers to abandon their furry
>> friends, said Dr. Jeffrey Lieberman, chairman of psychiatry at Columbia
>> University Medical Center.
>>
>> "I wouldn't get rid of my pet just on the basis of this
>> theoretical
>> speculation - unless you are looking for a reason to get rid of it
>> anyway," Lie-berman said.
>>
>> Originally published on November 8, 2005


Perhaps he speaks from experience -- his parents had lots of kitties while
"expecting" him. And, of course, he played with kitties from babyhood.
MLB

Frank Pittel
November 9th 05, 10:42 PM
No More Retail > wrote:
: Frank that is a woman not a cat it takes at least 2 cats to drive a man
: crazy ;-)


I'm not going to comment on you distinction between men and woman tolerances
to being driven crazy. :-) I do know that I have 2 cats (just over a year old)
and they're doing their level best to drive me crazy. :-) :-)

--




-------------------
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you

No More Retail
November 9th 05, 11:22 PM
See it is true you got two cats! They tag team don't they. Imagine having 6
plus a wife and a mother in law it is always in 2's :-))))))))))))

And don't worry about commenting Woman know they drive us crazy just like
we drive them crazy. I always say don't try to figure women or cats out
just go with the flow and do your best to keep your head above water. ;-)

Elizabeth Blake
November 10th 05, 04:58 AM
"Juls" > wrote in message
...
>
> Not shooting the messenger, Elizabeth...I'm glad you posted. I didn't
> realize he was still trying to get anyone to listen to this nonsense.
> The Daily News is about ten years late with this story.
>
> Juls
>
> p.s. In some circles, he's known as E Fuller Toiletry.

I'd never heard of this guy before. I thought the story was pretty funny,
but the sad thing is there are people who will read it and believe it. It's
in a newspaper, after all! There was a quote at the end of the article:
> But his theory shouldn't prompt cat lovers to abandon their furry
> friends, said Dr. Jeffrey Lieberman, chairman of psychiatry at Columbia
> University Medical Center.
>
> "I wouldn't get rid of my pet just on the basis of this theoretical
> speculation - unless you are looking for a reason to get rid of it
> anyway,"
> Lieberman said.

You know there are idiots out there that WILL use this as an excuse to get
rid of their cats. He couldn't just shut up after the word "speculation"?

--
Liz