PDA

View Full Version : Cat breathing loud, smells off

November 9th 05, 11:23 PM
My adult cat has been breathing loudly out of her nose and she smells
funny. I don't know how else to describe it. She also is losing weight.
I brought home a kitten about 4 months ago and for the most part they
get along these days. I think the weight loss is related to the kitten
being a fat little tiger and not sharing as well he should. I've
started a controlled feeding plan which seems to be working. But I'm
still concerned about the loud breathing and smell. I've had her for 2+
years and not until the last month have I noticed a smell, nor have I
noticed the breathing thing. She doesn't breathe that way all the time.
It usually starts at night.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

5cats
November 9th 05, 11:39 PM
wrote:

> My adult cat has been breathing loudly out of her nose and she smells
> funny. I don't know how else to describe it. She also is losing weight.

I might guess at dental problems & sore teeth means she's eating less. But
whatever the cause, unplanned weight loss always warrants a vet appointment
as soon as possible.

PawsForThought
November 9th 05, 11:40 PM
wrote:
> I've had her for 2+
> years and not until the last month have I noticed a smell, nor have I
> noticed the breathing thing. She doesn't breathe that way all the time.
> It usually starts at night.
> Any thoughts?
> Thanks!

J, it is imperative that your kitty be seen by a vet to rule out any
serious illness. Any time you notice a change in your cat's behavior,
physical weight, appetite or anything else unusual, a vet checkup is in
order.

whitershadeofpale
November 9th 05, 11:52 PM
wrote:
> My adult cat has been breathing loudly out of her nose and she smells
> funny. I don't know how else to describe it. She also is losing weight.
> I brought home a kitten about 4 months ago and for the most part they
> get along these days. I think the weight loss is related to the kitten
> being a fat little tiger and not sharing as well he should. I've
> started a controlled feeding plan which seems to be working. But I'm
> still concerned about the loud breathing and smell. I've had her for 2+
> years and not until the last month have I noticed a smell, nor have I
> noticed the breathing thing. She doesn't breathe that way all the time.
> It usually starts at night.
> Any thoughts?
> Thanks!

This sounds exactly like pnumonia to the T

Prayers for yall

Gail
November 10th 05, 12:31 AM
She needs to see a vet ASAP.
Gail
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> My adult cat has been breathing loudly out of her nose and she smells
> funny. I don't know how else to describe it. She also is losing weight.
> I brought home a kitten about 4 months ago and for the most part they
> get along these days. I think the weight loss is related to the kitten
> being a fat little tiger and not sharing as well he should. I've
> started a controlled feeding plan which seems to be working. But I'm
> still concerned about the loud breathing and smell. I've had her for 2+
> years and not until the last month have I noticed a smell, nor have I
> noticed the breathing thing. She doesn't breathe that way all the time.
> It usually starts at night.
> Any thoughts?
> Thanks!

November 10th 05, 04:05 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> My adult cat has been breathing loudly out of her nose and she smells
> funny. I don't know how else to describe it. She also is losing weight.
> I brought home a kitten about 4 months ago and for the most part they
> get along these days. I think the weight loss is related to the kitten
> being a fat little tiger and not sharing as well he should. I've
> started a controlled feeding plan which seems to be working. But I'm
> still concerned about the loud breathing and smell. I've had her for 2+
> years and not until the last month have I noticed a smell, nor have I
> noticed the breathing thing. She doesn't breathe that way all the time.
> It usually starts at night.
> Any thoughts?
> Thanks!

What do you think you should do? I mean, what is your second impulse,
since it appears that your first was to post about the problem to a Usenet
group?

whitershadeofpale
November 10th 05, 07:55 AM
cybercat wrote:

> What do you think you should do? I mean, what is your second impulse,
> since it appears that your first was to post about the problem to a Usenet
> group?

ooooo! me me! pick me

I know!

cybercat
November 10th 05, 03:21 PM
"whitershadeofpale" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>
> > What do you think you should do? I mean, what is your second impulse,
> > since it appears that your first was to post about the problem to a
Usenet
> > group?
>
> ooooo! me me! pick me
>
> I know!
>

>:) You always were a smart boy.

whitershadeofpale
November 10th 05, 08:29 PM
cybercat wrote:

> >:) You always were a smart boy.

do you by any chance have your name on the back of your belt?
hehehe

cybercat
November 10th 05, 10:57 PM
"whitershadeofpale" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>
> > >:) You always were a smart boy.
>
> do you by any chance have your name on the back of your belt?

Which one?

> hehehe

:)

whitershadeofpale
November 10th 05, 11:05 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "whitershadeofpale" > wrote in message
> > do you by any chance have your name on the back of your belt?
>
> Which one?

> :)

uh "Pumpkin"?

<grinnin like the cheshire cat>

cybercat
November 10th 05, 11:58 PM
"whitershadeofpale" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
> > "whitershadeofpale" > wrote in message
> > > do you by any chance have your name on the back of your belt?
> >
> > Which one?
>
> > :)
>
> uh "Pumpkin"?
>
> <grinnin like the cheshire cat>

<G> Are you going to stop dicking with people now and post about cats?
Just curious. Of course you are welcome to do both in a free and unmoderated
forum, just like all the other lunatics.

Jennifer
November 11th 05, 03:21 AM
I/m new here, but PLEASE get to your vet IMMEDIATELY. Their lungs fill
up with fluids, and it's an odd smell. When kidneys start shutting down
it smells odd too. If your cat's eyes are watering, or tearing,
breathing funny, sneezing or running nose (bubbles coming out of nose is
bad also) too it sounds like pneumonia.
Please don't hesitate to get to the vet, I did and it was too late.
(the other vet told me her tear duct was clogged, hence the sneezing and
watery eyes). She died a terrible death that could've been prevented.
I hope your kitty will be ok.

Jennifer

whitershadeofpale
November 11th 05, 03:21 AM
cybercat wrote:

> <G> Are you going to stop dicking with people now and post about cats?
> Just curious. Of course you are welcome to do both in a free and unmoderated
> forum, just like all the other lunatics.

that's real pretty!

see...

I AM just who I was, and AM be who I be.

cats? this place is full of pussy

I mean that in the good pussy way

whitershadeofpale
November 11th 05, 03:38 AM
Jennifer wrote:
> I/m new here, but PLEASE get to your vet IMMEDIATELY. Their lungs fill
> up with fluids, and it's an odd smell. When kidneys start shutting down
> it smells odd too. If your cat's eyes are watering, or tearing,
> breathing funny, sneezing or running nose (bubbles coming out of nose is
> bad also) too it sounds like pneumonia.
> Please don't hesitate to get to the vet, I did and it was too late.
> (the other vet told me her tear duct was clogged, hence the sneezing and
> watery eyes). She died a terrible death that could've been prevented.
> I hope your kitty will be ok.
>
> Jennifer

I cared for a dog with same symptoms, it was pneumonia.
We took her to the vet, got antibiotics, but the rest was just home
care.
The bad smell is infection. I very distinct smell.

November 12th 05, 06:05 PM
cybercat wrote:
> What do you think you should do? I mean, what is your second impulse,
> since it appears that your first was to post about the problem to a Usenet
> group?

Well actually, I thought I'd check here first, since I tend to be
overprotective and insane about my cats. Turns out my first impulse was
right, it was nothing, she's beating up the kitten as I type.
Nevertheless I appreciate the advice, though not the over the top
sanctimoniousness some like to exhibit.

November 12th 05, 06:20 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
> > What do you think you should do? I mean, what is your second impulse,
> > since it appears that your first was to post about the problem to a
Usenet
> > group?
>
> Well actually, I thought I'd check here first, since I tend to be
> overprotective and insane about my cats.

It does not follow that you went to Usenet first and not the VET
because you are "overprotective and insane about my cats."

It isn't sanctimonious to wonder why someone thinks there is something
wrong with their cat and does not take it to the vet. I like cats. I am glad
yours is okay--for now. Of course you know that if her breath "smells off"
e.g. worse than usual cat breath, she might have bad teeth or gums that
can make her really sick. Usenet Experts agree about this, so you can go
ahead and schedule that appointment.

IBen Getiner
November 14th 05, 10:07 AM
wrote:
> My adult cat has been breathing loudly out of her nose and she smells
> funny. I don't know how else to describe it. She also is losing weight.
> I brought home a kitten about 4 months ago and for the most part they
> get along these days. I think the weight loss is related to the kitten
> being a fat little tiger and not sharing as well he should. I've
> started a controlled feeding plan which seems to be working. But I'm
> still concerned about the loud breathing and smell. I've had her for 2+
> years and not until the last month have I noticed a smell, nor have I
> noticed the breathing thing. She doesn't breathe that way all the time.
> It usually starts at night.
> Any thoughts?
> Thanks!

She's probably been going through utter living hell with a TOOTH
ABSCESS.

Ever had one..??? Apparently not, since if you did, you'd take care
that it never happened to any one or anything that you loved or even
remotely cared about. Especially if that 'anything' couldn't tell you
about it.

IBen.

Wendy
November 14th 05, 06:40 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> cybercat wrote:
>> > What do you think you should do? I mean, what is your second impulse,
>> > since it appears that your first was to post about the problem to a
> Usenet
>> > group?
>>
>> Well actually, I thought I'd check here first, since I tend to be
>> overprotective and insane about my cats.
>
> It does not follow that you went to Usenet first and not the VET
> because you are "overprotective and insane about my cats."
>
> It isn't sanctimonious to wonder why someone thinks there is something
> wrong with their cat and does not take it to the vet. I like cats. I am
> glad
> yours is okay--for now. Of course you know that if her breath "smells off"
> e.g. worse than usual cat breath, she might have bad teeth or gums that
> can make her really sick. Usenet Experts agree about this, so you can go
> ahead and schedule that appointment.

I know of a cat who is dead because she wasn't seen by the vet (until she
had to be PTS) and nothing was done about an apparent tooth abscess.

cybercat
November 14th 05, 07:40 PM
"Wendy" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> >
> > > wrote in message
> > oups.com...

> > Usenet
> >>
> >> Well actually, I thought I'd check here first, since I tend to be
> >> overprotective and insane about my cats.
> >
> > It does not follow that you went to Usenet first and not the VET
> > because you are "overprotective and insane about my cats."
> >
> > It isn't sanctimonious to wonder why someone thinks there is something
> > wrong with their cat and does not take it to the vet. I like cats. I am
> > glad
> > yours is okay--for now. Of course you know that if her breath "smells
off"
> > e.g. worse than usual cat breath, she might have bad teeth or gums that
> > can make her really sick. Usenet Experts agree about this, so you can go
> > ahead and schedule that appointment.
> >

> I know of a cat who is dead because she wasn't seen by the vet (until she
> had to be PTS) and nothing was done about an apparent tooth abscess.

Awful. It can happen to people too. Bad teeth can actually cause
heart disease.

November 15th 05, 03:22 AM
Y'all are seriously crazy. She has already been to the vet who says
there is nothing wrong with her. Her teeth are fine, her breathing is
fine. She smelled weird and so did the cushion I bought at a garage
sale, which she slept on a lot. Cushion gone; cat smells like a cat.
Y'all need to chill out. Go outside and get some fresh air! Attacking
people on the internet because they care about their cats is retarded.

cybercat
November 15th 05, 03:40 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Y'all are seriously crazy. She has already been to the vet who says
> there is nothing wrong with her. Her teeth are fine, her breathing is
> fine. She smelled weird and so did the cushion I bought at a garage
> sale, which she slept on a lot. Cushion gone; cat smells like a cat.
> Y'all need to chill out. Go outside and get some fresh air! Attacking
> people on the internet because they care about their cats is retarded.

lol! It really is. So is attacking people because they care about *your*
cat.