PDA

View Full Version : Ringworm in cats question

November 12th 05, 12:24 AM
Just got back from a doctor's visit and the irritation on my arm has
turned out to be ringworm. Have an indoor only cat, 2years old dsh
that is showing no signs of lesions at all. If the cat is not showing
any signs I'm assumming he can still be infected with it, true? Is it
necessary to physically take him in or can I clip some fur and take
that in instead? Can't figure out how I got this, I have no other
animals and Georgie's never been outside in the 1 1/2 years I've had
him.

Frank Pittel
November 12th 05, 12:39 AM
Ringworm is a fungal infestation that is highly contagous. There is no reason
that you had to get it from your cat. You could in fact have gotten it anywhere.

Having had two cats with ringworm last year I found that a ringworm infestation
needs to be dealt with aggresivly. Let you vet know and he can give you the
lyme bath for your cats. I'm sure your doctor has given you medication for
yourself. Good luck!!

--

-------------------

-L.
November 12th 05, 01:24 AM
wrote:
> Just got back from a doctor's visit and the irritation on my arm has
> turned out to be ringworm. Have an indoor only cat, 2years old dsh
> that is showing no signs of lesions at all. If the cat is not showing
> any signs I'm assumming he can still be infected with it, true?

True.

> Is it
> necessary to physically take him in or can I clip some fur and take
> that in instead?

He probably needs an exam just to be safe. he may not have it - see
below.

Can't figure out how I got this, I have no other
> animals and Georgie's never been outside in the 1 1/2 years I've had
> him.

You can get it from the environment - it's easy to catch for some
people. There are also multiple causative agents - it may be the type
you have is rare in cats, and that you caught it eslewhere. I'd have
the cat checked just to be safe - or you can treat him prophylactically
with Program - do a search on "ringworm" and "Program" in Google and
you will find dosages.

Did the doc culture it, or was it just a visual diagnosis? The reason
I ask is because I get eczema that mimics ringworm, sometimes, in the
winter.
-L.

November 12th 05, 06:39 PM
On 11 Nov 2005 17:24:12 -0800, "-L." > wrote:

>Did the doc culture it, or was it just a visual diagnosis? The reason
>I ask is because I get eczema that mimics ringworm, sometimes, in the
>winter.
>-L.

No he didn't culture it and like yourself I suffer from eczema during
the winter.

-L.
November 12th 05, 11:27 PM
wrote:
> On 11 Nov 2005 17:24:12 -0800, "-L." > wrote:
>

> >Did the doc culture it, or was it just a visual diagnosis? The reason
> >I ask is because I get eczema that mimics ringworm, sometimes, in the
> >winter.
> >-L.
>
> No he didn't culture it and like yourself I suffer from eczema during
> the winter.

Hummm. Well, even if it is eczema antifungal cream won't hurt it.

-L.

November 14th 05, 03:11 AM
On 12 Nov 2005 15:27:17 -0800, "-L." > wrote:

wrote:
>> On 11 Nov 2005 17:24:12 -0800, "-L." > wrote:
>>

>> >Did the doc culture it, or was it just a visual diagnosis? The reason
>> >I ask is because I get eczema that mimics ringworm, sometimes, in the
>> >winter.
Actually how do you treat the exzema you get in the winter? Only
relief I've got is through oral steroids.

-L.
November 14th 05, 05:07 AM
wrote:

> Actually how do you treat the exzema you get in the winter? Only
> relief I've got is through oral steroids.

My son has it as well - we both have really dry, sensitive skin. The
only thing that works is to slather it with vaseline twice daily. For
my son, we had tried everything - and the doctor recommended vaseline.
I wasn't convinced as I hated puting a petroleum product on an infant -
but it worked! So I started doing it on myself -and it worked! I
think it is just a matter of sealing in the moisture. (For us at least,
that is.)
-L.