PDA

View Full Version : Litter Box Digging?

Edgar
November 12th 05, 03:33 AM
I just adopted my first kitty. I'm not sure how old she is but I do
know that she is young. I was wondering if digging in the cat litter is
normal? She has been digging in the litter box like she is looking for
something. I've had her for only a week and she just started (or at
least I just noticed) about 2 days ago. I don't think that it is a big
deal, I was just wondering if this was a normal thing to be doing?

Thanks for the help.

cybercat
November 12th 05, 03:39 AM
"Edgar" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I just adopted my first kitty. I'm not sure how old she is but I do
> know that she is young. I was wondering if digging in the cat litter is
> normal? She has been digging in the litter box like she is looking for
> something. I've had her for only a week and she just started (or at
> least I just noticed) about 2 days ago. I don't think that it is a big
> deal, I was just wondering if this was a normal thing to be doing?

Edward, are you saying that she does this and then does not
eliminate in the box? Because they do dig to prepare a place,
then cover it up.

Also, where did you get her and do you have any photos?

Joe Canuck
November 12th 05, 03:57 AM
Edgar wrote:

> I just adopted my first kitty. I'm not sure how old she is but I do
> know that she is young. I was wondering if digging in the cat litter is
> normal? She has been digging in the litter box like she is looking for
> something. I've had her for only a week and she just started (or at
> least I just noticed) about 2 days ago. I don't think that it is a big
> deal, I was just wondering if this was a normal thing to be doing?
>
> Thanks for the help.

Cats dig, you dig?

Want to surprise her, bury one of her smaller toys inside the litter
box. :-D

....although that might encourage more digging.

Joe Canuck
November 12th 05, 03:59 AM
cybercat wrote:

> "Edgar" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>I just adopted my first kitty. I'm not sure how old she is but I do
>>know that she is young. I was wondering if digging in the cat litter is
>>normal? She has been digging in the litter box like she is looking for
>>something. I've had her for only a week and she just started (or at
>>least I just noticed) about 2 days ago. I don't think that it is a big
>>deal, I was just wondering if this was a normal thing to be doing?
>>

> Edward, are you saying that she does this and then does not
> eliminate in the box? Because they do dig to prepare a place,
> then cover it up.
>
> Also, where did you get her and do you have any photos?

Photos of who, Edward or the cat?

This isn't the singles newsgroup. :-D

Edgar
November 12th 05, 04:00 AM
I never noticed if she was digging and then doing her stuff or not.
But a friend of mine found her on the side of the road almost 3 weeks
ago, went to the vet and the shelter and no one was looking for her.
She couldn't keep her and I was looking to adopt a cat soon anyway, and
it just worked out. I do have pictures, but none off my camera to
computer yet. When I do I'll let you know.

Thanks
a lot
Edgar

Edgar
November 12th 05, 04:01 AM
I dont look as good as she does

cybercat
November 12th 05, 04:11 AM
"Edgar" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I never noticed if she was digging and then doing her stuff or not.

Aha! Well, watch her closely and I think you will see her make a little
deposit after she digs. :)

> But a friend of mine found her on the side of the road almost 3 weeks
> ago, went to the vet and the shelter and no one was looking for her.
> She couldn't keep her and I was looking to adopt a cat soon anyway, and
> it just worked out.

Yay, Edgar. She will bring you much joy.

>I do have pictures, but none off my camera to
> computer yet. When I do I'll let you know.

Thank you, Edgar. We love kitty porn. :)

cybercat
November 12th 05, 04:13 AM
"Edgar" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I dont look as good as she does

Isn't Joe just the worst? Welcome to the group, Edgar.

Juls
November 12th 05, 05:20 AM
In article . com>,
"Edgar" > wrote:

> I just adopted my first kitty.

I hope she brings you many, many years of joy! What's her name?

I'm not sure how old she is but I do
> know that she is young. I was wondering if digging in the cat litter is
> normal? She has been digging in the litter box like she is looking for
> something. I've had her for only a week and she just started (or at
> least I just noticed) about 2 days ago. I don't think that it is a big
> deal, I was just wondering if this was a normal thing to be doing?
>
> Thanks for the help.

Different cats have varying litter habits. Some dig like crazy. Others,
like my old Dmitri did, just go and walk away. Then his brother Jack
would walk in, get upset that he didn't cover, and he'd spend 20 minutes
repairing the damage.

Jack still works on the litter for long periods of time. Digs, digs the
air, digs whatever might be nearby. Once he actually pulled out a
heating vent and used it to "cover" his poo. He's very tidy.

Then I had one cat many years ago who apparently liked the idea of
sitting on a toilet. I guess he learned by watching me, and he started
urinating in the toilet. Number two, he used his box. He never did learn
to flush, though. (And he never spilled a drop!)

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g

Juls
November 12th 05, 05:22 AM
In article >,
Joe Canuck > wrote:

> Edgar wrote:
>
> > I just adopted my first kitty. I'm not sure how old she is but I do
> > know that she is young. I was wondering if digging in the cat litter is
> > normal? She has been digging in the litter box like she is looking for
> > something. I've had her for only a week and she just started (or at
> > least I just noticed) about 2 days ago. I don't think that it is a big
> > deal, I was just wondering if this was a normal thing to be doing?
> >
> > Thanks for the help.
> >

> Cats dig, you dig?
>
> Want to surprise her, bury one of her smaller toys inside the litter
> box. :-D

That's horrible.

Then you'd have a stinky mouse around the house. Or wet, and that would
be worse!

> ...although that might encourage more digging.

I still recommend Cat Paper when I can (catpaper.com) Great product if
you have a messy cat.