PDA

View Full Version : Friskie's Dental Diet?

Ken Knecht
November 12th 05, 06:55 PM
A friend told me that Friskie's Dental Diet made his cats sick. I've been
feeding a limited amount to my two cats for at least a year - maybe ten
pellets a day. Neither seems to be bothered and their teeth seem to be
clean. The few cases of throwing up seem to be hairball related.

What has been your experience?

TIA

--
Untie the two knots to email me

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

cybercat
November 12th 05, 07:05 PM
"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> A friend told me that Friskie's Dental Diet made his cats sick. I've been
> feeding a limited amount to my two cats for at least a year - maybe ten
> pellets a day. Neither seems to be bothered and their teeth seem to be
> clean. The few cases of throwing up seem to be hairball related.
>
> What has been your experience?

My cat loved these things and she died at age 20 with all her teeth and
healthy gums--but of course heredity probably played a huge role in that

I have seen people more knowledgable than I say that this particular
"dental" food has a better chance of working because the pieces are so
large the cats actually HAVE to chew them. (Cats do not generally
chew their food they just rip it into manageable hunks and swallow.)
I used to hear my cat crunching those big round pieces up. She ate
it for probably her last five years of life and never had any health
problems. But then, she was the Bulletproof cat. :) The really mean,
dumb ones that don't like people usually are. (I did love her very
much, though.)

November 13th 05, 02:06 AM
Ken Knecht wrote:
> A friend told me that Friskie's Dental Diet made his cats sick. I've been
> feeding a limited amount to my two cats for at least a year - maybe ten
> pellets a day. Neither seems to be bothered and their teeth seem to be
> clean. The few cases of throwing up seem to be hairball related.
>
> What has been your experience?

Well, this is my experience with FDD. I'm not a Friskie's fan, but I
received a sample pack of Friskie's Dental Diet in the mail several
years ago. The cats, Cherokee in particular, just went nuts for the
stuff. So I continued to buy the smallest size box and just dole them
out like treats, just a few pellets occasionally. It never seemed to
upset their tummies. I imagine it probably was at least somewhat
effective in cleaning their teeth, the way they had to crunch it.

Sherry

-L.
November 13th 05, 03:39 AM
wrote:

> Well, this is my experience with FDD. I'm not a Friskie's fan, but I
> received a sample pack of Friskie's Dental Diet in the mail several
> years ago. The cats, Cherokee in particular, just went nuts for the
> stuff. So I continued to buy the smallest size box and just dole them
> out like treats, just a few pellets occasionally. It never seemed to
> upset their tummies. I imagine it probably was at least somewhat
> effective in cleaning their teeth, the way they had to crunch it.
>
> Sherry

Same here. The problem I had was Peewee choked on it a couple of time
- after that I got rid of it.
-L.

Teddy
November 13th 05, 03:50 AM
I keep a bowl of Dental Diet out along with 4 other kinds of dry cat
food. Also I open 2 or 3 cans of cat food a day. They eat little of the
Dental Diet, guess they know when they need it. This sounds like a lot
but there are 7 grown cats.

Steve Crane
November 13th 05, 03:59 PM
Ken Knecht wrote:
> A friend told me that Friskie's Dental Diet made his cats sick. I've been
> feeding a limited amount to my two cats for at least a year - maybe ten
> pellets a day. Neither seems to be bothered and their teeth seem to be
> clean. The few cases of throwing up seem to be hairball related.

The Veterinary Oral Health Care council maintains a website of VOHC
approved products. You can review the methodology required to gain
approval and find out if the food is approved for tartar, or plaque or
both. VOHC does not currently grant approval for gingivitis claims, so
manufacturers making this claim will need to support that claim with
other methods.

http://www.vohc.org/

November 13th 05, 06:04 PM
-L. wrote:
> wrote:
> >
> > Well, this is my experience with FDD. I'm not a Friskie's fan, but I
> > received a sample pack of Friskie's Dental Diet in the mail several
> > years ago. The cats, Cherokee in particular, just went nuts for the
> > stuff. So I continued to buy the smallest size box and just dole them
> > out like treats, just a few pellets occasionally. It never seemed to
> > upset their tummies. I imagine it probably was at least somewhat
> > effective in cleaning their teeth, the way they had to crunch it.
> >
> > Sherry
>
> Same here. The problem I had was Peewee choked on it a couple of time
> - after that I got rid of it.
> -L.

Ooo. Bet you about panicked. What's the proper way to help a choking
cat, anyway?

Sherry

-L.
November 14th 05, 02:36 AM
wrote:

> Ooo. Bet you about panicked. What's the proper way to help a choking
> cat, anyway?
>
> Sherry

Hope that they cough it up? I have never encountered another choking
cat. I am sure there is a guideline someplace (Cornell? - I don't have
copy now)). Someone else might know the answer.

-L.

No More Retail
November 14th 05, 02:37 AM
Phil has information on his site http://www.maxshouse.com/choking.htm

-L.
November 14th 05, 06:12 AM
No More Retail wrote:
> Phil has information on his site http://www.maxshouse.com/choking.htm

Thanks for posting that.
-L.

whayface
November 14th 05, 02:36 PM
On 13 Nov 2005 17:36:34 -0800, "-L." > wrote:

>> Ooo. Bet you about panicked. What's the proper way to help a choking
>> cat, anyway?
>>
>> Sherry
>
>Hope that they cough it up? I have never encountered another choking
>cat. I am sure there is a guideline someplace (Cornell? - I don't have
>copy now)). Someone else might know the answer.

Animal version of the Helmrick squeeze ?!?!?