PDA

View Full Version : Slightly Elevated Calcium


Saraly
November 12th 05, 09:37 PM
Hi Everyone,
I'm new here and pleased to meet all of you! I have had a very hard year,
lost my three beloved cats, ages 13 and 15, and my heart dog at the age of 18.
3 years. I really didn't want another pet because of the tremendous pain but
fate/karma decided otherwise when a feral mama left a 2 week old kitten in my
yard.
I hand raised her and she's just a year old now. She had a few days of
vomiting after eating so I took her to the vet. Her exam was fine and her x-
ray was fine. Two months ago I took her in for an enema (she got into the
garbage and stuffed herself) and she also passed her exam and an x-ray with
flying colors. Her blood work was fine the first time but this last time the
vet said everything was perfect except for a slightly elevated calcium of 10.
9. She said it was probably nothing but will repeat in three weeks to make
sure it isn't any higher. High normal, she said, is 10.8 and 10.9 does not
worry her. Of course I'm a wreck thinking about CRF and cancer. Abigail eats
like a pig and is very active and playful. She doesn't drink much water and
doesn't urinate excessively. She eats 3/4 can of Wellness Turkey and Salmon
and a small bit of dry Iams as a bedtime snack and anything she can steal or
grab while counter surfing.
Do you think something ominous is going on? Has anyone else had a cat with
this slight elevation the only abnormality in bloodwork?

No More Retail
November 12th 05, 10:12 PM
Welcome to the group
I am sorry for your loss of your previous friends. But they do have a way
of coming back into your life don't they

Calcium levels in cats can be a little frustrating to evaluate
Make sure you not any unusual activity to the vet like not drinking that
much water or urinating this helps the vet determine problems

Here is some questions
Did the vet send off the blood work or was this done at animal hospital or
school that had it's own lab-- if so calcium levels can change from the
time of test to lab--make sure it is a fasting level check along with a
total protein and albumin level check next time.
How was the rest of the blood test levels and what test did the vet do

Your vet said they were not worried about the level being at that level 10.8
10.9 is high but at the bottom of the high scale if it was a 11.0 or 12 or
higher than you start to worry till all the test are done.
Some cat can have elevated calcium levels all there life and it not effect
them
Do you know what see gorged her self on in the trash before the blood work
some food and plants can cause an elevated level
I take it that you took the cat right to the vet after finding her gorged
depending on how long it was since the cat ate It probably was not a fasting
sample which can lead to elevated false level

this is a link that has some info on elevated levels and so people that has
had the same problem
http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/catdig.html

Linda McGrath
November 12th 05, 11:40 PM
Thanks for your response. The first tests were done about 6 weeks ago when
she gorged on leftover chicken and some chicken bones. At that time all
bloods were normal except for a very slightly elevated albumin. Now, 6 weeks
later she has 10.9 calcium after being taken to the vet for vomiting after
meals. The cause of vomiting was most likely eating too much and too fast.
She just sucks the dish empty and then licks the whole outside in search of a
missed spot of food. She gained a little over a pound in the 6 week interval.
This blood work showed normal albumin and everything else but 10.9 calcium.
She's eating and drinking normally and her activity level is high. She looks
like a bright healthy cat but we all know how little that can mean.
So, she hadn't fasted before the blood test but I would say it had been about
ten hours since she had eaten.
She gets very stressed going to the vet and it's a fight getting her into the
carrier. She's a strictly indoor cat and being outside scares her. I don't
know if stress can effect blood work.
Since I have to wait at least 24 hours for test results the blood must be
sent to an outside lab. My vet is very fussy about who she uses for tests so
I assume the lab is a good one but who knows.
The vet did a complete blood panel and everything else was completely normal.
Maybe if I hadn't had such a devastating year I wouldn't be as worried but I
held my Addie while she was euthanized, Katie Boy passed in my arms while I
rocked him and Liza died two weeks after being diagnosed with Hemangiosarcoma.
My Poodle, Sara, died in my arms five months ago from a fierce little heart
that just gave out from old age after loving me for over 18 years.

No More Retail wrote:
>Welcome to the group
>I am sorry for your loss of your previous friends. But they do have a way
>of coming back into your life don't they
>
>Calcium levels in cats can be a little frustrating to evaluate
>Make sure you not any unusual activity to the vet like not drinking that
>much water or urinating this helps the vet determine problems
>
>Here is some questions
>Did the vet send off the blood work or was this done at animal hospital or
>school that had it's own lab-- if so calcium levels can change from the
>time of test to lab--make sure it is a fasting level check along with a
>total protein and albumin level check next time.
>How was the rest of the blood test levels and what test did the vet do
>
>Your vet said they were not worried about the level being at that level 10.8
>10.9 is high but at the bottom of the high scale if it was a 11.0 or 12 or
>higher than you start to worry till all the test are done.
>Some cat can have elevated calcium levels all there life and it not effect
>them
>Do you know what see gorged her self on in the trash before the blood work
>some food and plants can cause an elevated level
>I take it that you took the cat right to the vet after finding her gorged
>depending on how long it was since the cat ate It probably was not a fasting
>sample which can lead to elevated false level
>
>this is a link that has some info on elevated levels and so people that has
>had the same problem
>http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/catdig.html

--
Saraly

No More Retail
November 12th 05, 11:50 PM
You love your friends you have the right to worry You are just like a parent
they are your children

Word on the cat carrier do you have a place where you can leave the cat
carrier out so the cat can crawl in and out when it chooses. When you know
you are going to the vet in advance start by putting treats in the carrier
than feeding in the carrier. I always wrap one of them up in a towel so
they can't see or just in case of accidents. I leave the carriers out I
have 6 cats each has there own and it is an oversized carrier to make it
easier to get them in.

There are several ways to get your fussy cat into a carrier. If you would
like to know more than what I just posted ask away ALL OF US OUT HERE will
gladly help :-)


Phil will proabaly respond to thsi post he has more knowledge on blood work

Saraly
November 13th 05, 12:14 AM
Good idea about leaving the carrier out! I've been spoiled by living with
three very gentle, affectionate cats and now have to deal with Abigail aka
"Abigator". I think her nickname says it all. I have a medium sized carrier
and a smaller top loader which I thought would be easier but it's not.
I had several more carriers but they are now being used as hotel rooms for
feral cats in my yard. I have trapped five out of six and had them spayed or
neutered and returned. They thank me by eating twice as much now.
Is there anything worse than waiting for test results?!

No More Retail wrote:
>You love your friends you have the right to worry You are just like a parent
>they are your children
>
>Word on the cat carrier do you have a place where you can leave the cat
>carrier out so the cat can crawl in and out when it chooses. When you know
>you are going to the vet in advance start by putting treats in the carrier
>than feeding in the carrier. I always wrap one of them up in a towel so
>they can't see or just in case of accidents. I leave the carriers out I
>have 6 cats each has there own and it is an oversized carrier to make it
>easier to get them in.
>
>There are several ways to get your fussy cat into a carrier. If you would
>like to know more than what I just posted ask away ALL OF US OUT HERE will
>gladly help :-)
>
>Phil will proabaly respond to thsi post he has more knowledge on blood work

--
Saraly

No More Retail
November 13th 05, 12:15 AM
Yes waiting for test results while the firball is at the vet and your at
home

Phil P.
November 13th 05, 01:27 AM
"Saraly" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Hi Everyone,
> I'm new here and pleased to meet all of you! I have had a very hard year,
> lost my three beloved cats, ages 13 and 15, and my heart dog at the age of
18.
> 3 years. I really didn't want another pet because of the tremendous pain
but
> fate/karma decided otherwise when a feral mama left a 2 week old kitten in
my
> yard.
> I hand raised her and she's just a year old now. She had a few days of
> vomiting after eating so I took her to the vet. Her exam was fine and her
x-
> ray was fine. Two months ago I took her in for an enema (she got into the
> garbage and stuffed herself) and she also passed her exam and an x-ray
with
> flying colors. Her blood work was fine the first time but this last time
the
> vet said everything was perfect except for a slightly elevated calcium of
10.
> 9. She said it was probably nothing but will repeat in three weeks to make
> sure it isn't any higher. High normal, she said, is 10.8 and 10.9 does not
> worry her. Of course I'm a wreck thinking about CRF and cancer.

She's much too young for either- especially CRF- her BUN/Cr would also be
high. Some cats just have what's known as "idiopathic hypercalcemia"- no
known cause or underlying disease. Acidifying, magnesium-restricted diets
might also lead to idiopathic hypercalcemia in genetically predisposed cats.

If all her other values were normal- I'd get her blood rechecked in a month.
Just don't let her eat for 8-10 hours before the blood is drawn. Have her
urine analyzed at the same time. Urine specific gravity (USG) with
BUN/Cr./protein
offers a more accurate assessment of renal function than either alone.

I'm sorry for your losses.

Best of luck,

Phil.

Saraly
November 13th 05, 02:10 AM
Thank you Phil!

Phil P. wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>> I'm new here and pleased to meet all of you! I have had a very hard year,
>[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
>> sure it isn't any higher. High normal, she said, is 10.8 and 10.9 does not
>> worry her. Of course I'm a wreck thinking about CRF and cancer.
>
>She's much too young for either- especially CRF- her BUN/Cr would also be
>high. Some cats just have what's known as "idiopathic hypercalcemia"- no
>known cause or underlying disease. Acidifying, magnesium-restricted diets
>might also lead to idiopathic hypercalcemia in genetically predisposed cats.
>
>If all her other values were normal- I'd get her blood rechecked in a month.
>Just don't let her eat for 8-10 hours before the blood is drawn. Have her
>urine analyzed at the same time. Urine specific gravity (USG) with
>BUN/Cr./protein
>offers a more accurate assessment of renal function than either alone.
>
>I'm sorry for your losses.
>
>Best of luck,
>
>Phil.

--
Saraly